• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][G935F/FD/W8/S/K/L][7.1.1] OFFICIAL LineageOS 14.1 for Galaxy S7 Edge

Search This thread

ZeroHackeR

Dec 9, 2009
Let me reply inline below ...... my configuration is:

LOS 20171003 - openGapps nano 20171004 arm64 - Magisk 14.2 beta

Can you pls. state your exact configuration ?

Btw. No doubt, the current builds have still issues (e.g. with specific BT devices etc.),
camera sub-optimal (can be fixed by 3rd party camera like snap cam, Cameringo+)
but overall really solid as daily driver !

I think, Magisk 14.2 is contributing to not have FC's anymore, e.g. German IPTV (T-Entertain)
is working again (due to MagiskHide and passing SAFETYNET check)

Thanks for your reply. I didn't do any flashing on S7 and this was my first rom for S7 edge. Basically, I just flashed recovery and install LOS + Gapps nano + SuperSU. All were latest version as of 3 days ago. That's all I did. I will check versions when I use my PC.

Not sure whether I needed to install kernel, modem etc?
Also didn't know what Magisk is. Haha.. Totally noob here again.

Edit: Magisk is kinda SuperSU?

Last edited:

klaustroeger

Jan 28, 2011
Nuremberg
linuxstar.net
Thanks for your reply. I didn't do any flashing on S7 and this was my first rom for S7 edge. Basically, I just flashed recovery and install LOS + Gapps nano + SuperSU. All were latest version as of 3 days ago. That's all I did. I will check versions when I use my PC.

Not sure whether I needed to install kernel, modem etc?
Also didn't know what Magisk is. Haha.. Totally noob here again.

Edit: Magisk is kinda SuperSU?

Outch ... o.k. anyway, let's start then :)
(therefore we are here .. to help ...)

Let me describe it that way, as you wouldn't have installed it already (and be still on TW/stock) .. more easy for me
and maybe reusable .... (many things already stated in OP)

Warning:

Flashing Custom ROM and/or Custom Recovery (e.g. TWRP) may void your warranty in case of hardware
repair and WILL trigger KNOX to 0x1 (e-fuse blown, changes can't be hidden anymore, eveen flashing back TW/stock
ROM)

Prerequisites:

TWRP 3.1.0 downloaded and flashed as slot AP
Nougat Bootloader (BL) and Modem (CP) downloaded and flashed via Odin
(download links taken from XDA Helios thread, should be relatively recent - I use them)

*DQHW EDGE G935F(D) [/URL]bootloader use slot BL in Odin
*DQER EDGE G935F(D) modem use slot CP in Odin

On your external MicroSD card, you should have in addition:

LineageOS 14.1 for S7Edge, Build 20171003
OpenGapps nano arm64 (actual build version, link is from today)
(ensure to select Android 7.1, architecture arm64 and nano package version)

Depending on your requirement to have simple root access, root access with hiding possibility or full-featured
root and systemless module loading capability, select ONE of below to download:

Lineage root-addon for LOS 14.1
SuperSu v2.82
Magisk v14.0 (stable)
Magisk v14.2 (beta)

Explanation:

LineageOS root add-on, is the most "close-to-the-OS" solution, will just provide root and need to be enabled in the
"developers option" (select "apps" or "apps+adb", depending on your need)
SuperSU is a step forward, has also a SUHide utility in addition to root and can be used to "hide" root in front of some apps.
Magisk is the most complete solution and delivers in addition to root access many advanced features (hiding, various modules
etc. ) ... and is "systemless"

Personally, I use either LOS root-addon (if I need just root) or Magisk (to hide root access for programs like German IPTV etc.)
(SuperSU is for me not relevant, as I select either the cleanest or full-featured way :) )

Remark: Magisk (v14) can lead to Google PlayStore & application FC's .. it stopped on my side, using Magisk v14.2 !

In regards to the "do I need a kernel" question:

Simply NO, if you don't have any special requirements or issues !
(stock kernel is fair good, otherwise you may flash PrimeKernel v1.5.2 .. did it already once, but I'm now o.k. with the stock kernel.

Once you have all you need, just boot into TWRP, format all except internal storage and external SD card, flash
your selection of ZIP's and reboot for initial setup.

For my side and if I chose Magisk ... I install the ZIP after finalized core setup (so at second stage),
but this is a personal preference (as I do always a Nandroid backup for fallback reasons in between)

Hope, that helped a bit :)

Last edited:

ZeroHackeR

Dec 9, 2009
Outch ... o.k. anyway, let's start then :)
(therefore we are here .. to help ...)

Let me describe it that way, as you wouldn't have installed it already (and be still on TW/stock) .. more easy for me
and maybe reusable .... (many things already stated in OP)

Warning:

Flashing Custom ROM and/or Custom Recovery (e.g. TWRP) may void your warranty in case of hardware
repair and WILL trigger KNOX to 0x1 (e-fuse blown, changes can't be hidden anymore, eveen flashing back TW/stock
ROM)

Prerequisites:

TWRP 3.1.0 downloaded and flashed as slot AP
Nougat Bootloader (BL) and Modem (CP) downloaded and flashed via Odin
(download links taken from XDA Helios thread, should be relatively recent - I use them)

*DQHW EDGE G935F(D) [/URL]bootloader use slot BL in Odin
*DQER EDGE G935F(D) modem use slot CP in Odin

On your external MicroSD card, you should have in addition:

LineageOS 14.1 for S7Edge, Build 20171003
OpenGapps nano arm64 (actual build version, link is from today)
(ensure to select Android 7.1, architecture arm64 and nano package version)

Depending on your requirement to have simple root access, root access with hiding possibility or full-featured
root and systemless module loading capability, select ONE of below to download:

Lineage root-addon for LOS 14.1
SuperSu v2.82
Magisk v14.0 (stable)
Magisk v14.2 (beta)

Explanation:

LineageOS root add-on, is the most "close-to-the-OS" solution, will just provide root and need to be enabled in the
"developers option" (select "apps" or "apps+adb", depending on your need)
SuperSU is a step forward, has also a SUHide utility in addition to root and can be used to "hide" root in front of some apps.
Magisk is the most complete solution and delivers in addition to root access many advanced features (hiding, various modules
etc. ) ... and is "systemless"

Personally, I use either LOS root-addon (if I need just root) or Magisk (to hide root access for programs like German IPTV etc.)
(SuperSU is for me not relevant, as I select either the cleanest or full-featured way :) )

Remark: Magisk (v14) can lead to Google PlayStore & application FC's .. it stopped on my side, using Magisk v14.2 !

In regards to the "do I need a kernel" question:

Simply NO, if you don't have any special requirements or issues !
(stock kernel is fair good, otherwise you may flash PrimeKernel v1.5.2 .. did it already once, but I'm now o.k. with the stock kernel.

Once you have all you need, just boot into TWRP, format all except internal storage and external SD card, flash
your selection of ZIP's and reboot for initial setup.

For my side and if I chose Magisk ... I install the ZIP after finalized core setup (so at second stage),
but this is a personal preference (as I do always a Nandroid backup for fallback reasons in between)

Hope, that helped a bit :)

Once again many thanks. I will try reinstalling everything. I think, my device is having some issues with media encoding. I just tried another app for screen recording (to show you YouTube issues) and it denied to record. Therefore, YouTube, Speaker Phone and now screen recorder, they all are related to media encoding.

Edit: Finally things are OK now. The solution was I cleared data of all problematic apps.

Last edited:

attachsnow

Feb 1, 2008
Taipei
jim.youler.com
Bug report:
Camera2 API needs to be improved.
No LTE+ CA signal.
AudioFX is broken after call.
Ambient Display is no action.
LiveDisplay will restore after return on screen.
If I used on-screen nav bar and return on screen, hardkey will reaction.
VoLTE and Wifi calling is failed.
My s7 edge is 32 GB version but in storage it displayed 64GB(internal) + 64GB(external).

klaustroeger

Jan 28, 2011
Nuremberg
linuxstar.net
Bug report:
No LTE+ CA signal.
My s7 edge is 32 GB version but in storage it displayed 64GB(internal) + 64GB(external).

Thanks ! More or less all bugs known ....

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
Bug report:
No LTE+ CA signal.

Thanks ! More or less all bugs known ....

Yeah, most of them are known bugs. Klaus, do you happen to know why the incorrect internal storage size issue has been marked as fixed on Lineage's Jira? I mean, it clearly isn't.

klaustroeger

Jan 28, 2011
Nuremberg
linuxstar.net
Yeah, most of them are known bugs. Klaus, do you happen to know why the incorrect internal storage size issue has been marked as fixed on Lineage's Jira? I mean, it clearly isn't.

Agreed, it's not .... at least not for our device ...

In the Storage settings overview, internal storage is still computed wrong from the external (MicroSD) storage.
External storage is reported correctly ....

hero2lte:/ $ df | tail -2
/data/media 25812840 6853412 18943044 27% /storage/emulated
/mnt/media_rw/E117-B4B0 192250880 132426368 59824512 69% /storage/E117-B4B0

And, reading the bug report and comments, I'd not say, it was fixed with confidence ..... more closed due
to conviction :)

In addition to the facts, that it was tested on a i9100 (Galaxy S2) and also fixed for my Samsung Galaxy Note3,
running LOS 14.1, too, I'd think, it's worth to open a new bug for our S7Edge
(see screenshot attached)

Let's see the outcome .... will keep all here posted ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_Bug1104.png
    Screenshot_Bug1104.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 516
Reactions: nitrous²

Rongxin

May 3, 2014
My problem is that after flashing the rom, I keep getting com.android.phone has stopped working popups and i cant get past the initial setup. Not sure how to go about this as i've already wiped everything many times over

ZeroHackeR

Dec 9, 2009
Another bugs found, not sure it was reported before.

- WiFi sharing is not working. Working fine after modem updated
- No option to disable One of the SIM cards
- Also I'm still having this media issue.

media.codec process is using about 20-30% of CPU and the process was kinda hanged.
So, the phone began to heat up and all other media services like YouTube or Speaker Phone stopped working properly during that time.
The only solution was to kill that process and the phone acted normal way again.

Last edited:

girtsn

May 15, 2005
I have this issue quite often - and looks like it can end up with overheating issues if the phone is left in that state, previous phone overheated and started to give bootloader exception with no fix, had to send it for replacement. So it is quite critical to address.
For me happens typically watching youtube, embedded video content of Facebook or other apps. Never had that with S7 though.
Read about a similar issue related to Chrome, will try to uninstall and reproduce without it. Have tried to wipe data for all involved apps + wipe cache, no fix.
I did a google search on "media codec battery drain" and S7 Edge issue was the first post, suppose its too much to be a coincidence.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Media-Server-Battery-Drain/td-p/28912

- Also I'm still having this media issue.
media.codec process is using about 20-30% of CPU and the process was kinda hanged.
So, the phone began to heat up and all other media services like YouTube or Speaker Phone stopped working properly during that time.
The only solution was to kill that process and the phone acted normal way again.

Last edited:

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
@klaustroeger I completely forgot. I saw this while looking for solutions to the wrong internal space calculation.

I managed to solve it: the issue happens if you flash a MIUI rom, and then install LineageOS right after, without turning on the system in between. You need to: flash MIUI again, turn on your phone (verify that the storage is now ok), wipe, install Lineage OS.
- Source on Reddit

The reason I'm posting this is we might give this a chance on our S7Es. The procedure would look like this:

- Flash stock TouchWiz ROM via Odin, preferably with CSC_XXX_ instead of HOME_CSC_XXX_ (This'll wipe internal storage. Make sure you have a backup + external microSD for the ROM + Gapps).
- Let TouchWiz boot up but don't set it up. Upon seeing the set-up screen just boot into Download Mode.
- Flash TWRP (Select TWRP from AP in Odin. Untick "Auto-Reboot". Press Start and let it flash. Upon green "Passed" label hold Power + Vol down + Home; as soon as screen goes black, switch to Power + VOL UP + Home)
- Allow modifications. Open "Wipe" menu and select "Format Data". Confirm it with "yes".
- Restart the phone to boot into TouchWiz again. When you see the set-up screen, boot back into TWRP.
- Only do a Factory Reset WITHOUT Data Format!
- Flash LineageOS + Gapps.

I know. Looks complicated but really is not. I'd love to try it out myself and tell you if it works but am too busy this week.

BTW; is @Fevax still alive? He seems to have abandoned the S7 and S7 Edge for good. What's going on with all these AOSP maintainers? Either their shady af, abandon their projects or drop support on the forums all together.

Here's the Link to the Jira Bugbash-1104 which Klaus posted. You can vote on it so it can get attention.

Last edited:

klaustroeger

Jan 28, 2011
Nuremberg
linuxstar.net
Hmmm, even if it would fix it (maybe unintentionally), I'd not agree to that workaround.

Some of the calculation routines seem to be so badly implemented, that I'd spend zero
time in trying this procedure.

As I showed already, a plain Linux "df" command shows, what is needed. So, the underlying
kernel/system calls seem to be correct.

For the vanishing maintainers .... I simply don't know (and don't understand)

No issue with accepting shifted priorities etc., but I don not accept, if they vanish
with ZERO communication and response. Sorry, as I'm out of the core Linux support
Business .. that's not the way to handle things .. but anyway ... let's see ...

@klaustroeger I completely forgot. I saw this while looking for solutions to the wrong internal space calculation.

- Source on Reddit

The reason I'm posting this is we might give this a chance on our S7Es. The procedure would look like this:

- Flash stock TouchWiz ROM via Odin, preferably with CSC_XXX_ instead of HOME_CSC_XXX_ (This'll wipe internal storage. Make sure you have a backup + external microSD for the ROM + Gapps).
- Let TouchWiz boot up but don't set it up. Upon seeing the set-up screen just boot into Download Mode.
- Flash TWRP (Select TWRP from AP in Odin. Untick "Auto-Reboot". Press Start and let it flash. Upon green "Passed" label hold Power + Vol down + Home; as soon as screen goes black, switch to Power + VOL UP + Home)
- Allow modifications. Open "Wipe" menu and select "Format Data". Confirm it with "yes".
- Restart the phone to boot into TouchWiz again. When you see the set-up screen, boot back into TWRP.
- Only do a Factory Reset WITHOUT Data Format!
- Flash LineageOS + Gapps.

I know. Looks complicated but really is not. I'd love to try it out myself and tell you if it works but am too busy this week.

BTW; is @Fevax still alive? He seems to have abandoned the S7 and S7 Edge for good. What's going on with all these AOSP maintainers? Either their shady af, abandon their projects or drop support on the forums all together.

Here's the Link to the Jira Bugbash-1104 which Klaus posted. You can vote on it so it can get attention.

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
Hmmm, even if it would fix it (maybe unintentionally), I'd not agree to that workaround.

Some of the calculation routines seem to be so badly implemented, that I'd spend zero
time in trying this procedure.

As I showed already, a plain Linux "df" command shows, what is needed. So, the underlying
kernel/system calls seem to be correct.

Yeah, you're right. I just tried it anyway even though I hardly have time to eat properly. Didn't work. If it's of any help, here's the df output from a TW based rom (SuperMan ROM 2.7)

Code:
hero2lte:/ # df
df
Filesystem                   1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                         1678528     9952   1668576   1% /
tmpfs                          1815852      756   1815096   1% /dev
tmpfs                          1815852        0   1815852   0% /mnt
tmpfs                          1815852        0   1815852   0% /mnt/secure
/dev/block/sda14               4334048  3002548   1331500  70% /system
/dev/block/sda15                197472      312    197160   1% /cache
/dev/block/sda18              25812840 19768632   6044208  77% /data
/dev/block/sda3                  16048     3152     12896  20% /efs
/dev/block/sda13                  5032      208      4824   5% /persdata/absolute
/dev/block/loop0                 60400     1812     58588   3% /magisk
tmpfs                          1821196        0   1821196   0% /system/xbin
/data/media                   25792360 19773752   6018608  77% /mnt/runtime/default/emulated
/data/media                   25792360 19773752   6018608  77% /mnt/runtime/read/emulated
/data/media                   25792360 19773752   6018608  77% /mnt/runtime/write/emulated
/dev/block/vold/public:179,1 124861952 50728960  74132992  41% /mnt/media_rw/0007-4216
/mnt/media_rw/0007-4216      124861952 50728960  74132992  41% /mnt/runtime/default/0007-4216
/mnt/media_rw/0007-4216      124861952 50728960  74132992  41% /mnt/runtime/read/0007-4216
/mnt/media_rw/0007-4216      124861952 50728960  74132992  41% /mnt/runtime/write/0007-4216

For the vanishing maintainers .... I simply don't know (and don't understand)

No issue with accepting shifted priorities etc., but I don not accept, if they vanish
with ZERO communication and response. Sorry, as I'm out of the core Linux support
Business .. that's not the way to handle things .. but anyway ... let's see ...

Well, me neither and I agree that his is not how it should be handled. It's unfortunate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QCgMClH.png

Code:
    [COLOR="red"]Your warranty is now void.[/COLOR]
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
    A lot.

/* What’s working */
    Audio
    Bootanimation
    Brightness Level
    Bluetooth
    Camera *needs to be improved
    Fingerprint reader
    Microphone
    MTP
    NFC
    Wi-Fi
    LED
    RIL (calls, sms, microphone, data)
    Torch
    All sensors except fingerprint reader
    SD Card
    Capacitive buttons
    Torch
    Wi-Fi Hotspot

/* What’s not working */
    You tell me

Install Instructions
    1. Download ROM from the link below.
    2. Wipe dalvik/cache/data/factory reset.
    3. Flash the rom in recovery.
    4. Reboot device.
    5. Now you can help me to find bugs :)

Downloads

Latest Build​

ExyGen² staff:
    Fevax, fedegin, jah2110, briann_cs

If you are happy with my work, please:

Thank You! :victory:

XDA:DevDB Information
    OFFICIAL LineageOS 14.1 for Galaxy S7 Edge, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Contributors
    Fevax, jesec
    Source Code: https://github.com/Fevax

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: N Bootloader and Modem
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-01-04
    Last Updated 2017-06-10
    Changelog:

20170115 -> 20170205
    - Fingerprint deletion bug is now fixed by preventing users to enroll more fingerprints than what HW allow.
    - Some network-related problems are now fixed.
    - Battery life should be improved now.
    - HW encoders and decoders are enabled again.
    - Size of package is reduced. (from approx. 570M to 460M)
    - Wi-FI hotspot is fixed.

01/15
    hero-common: disable Exynos HW encoders
    * This change fixed video recording(in camera app and other apps like Snapchat).

audio: redo mixer_paths
    * This change fixed headset mic and other audio-related problems.

01/14
    Off-mode charging is fixed.

01/13
    Fingerprint reader is now fixed.

01/11
    kernel: bcmdhd4359: update to 1.363.59.181
    * This change updates Wi-Fi driver to a much newer version. Should improve Wi-Fi stability and signal strength.

01/09
    hero-common: add back Snap camera
    - Image quality of built-in camera should be better now.

PD: Some users are reporting battery drain on this build.

01/08
    universal8890: Use custom rssi buckets, ignoring rssnr
    - This change should make LTE signal looks stronger.

hero: add power profile
    - This change fixed battery stats.

vendor: wifi: set country code to ALL
    - This change should fix Wi-Fi problems in some countries.

vendor: wifi: add some hacks to make Wi-Fi signal strength stronger
    - I am not sure if it works lol.

01/07
    - Vibrator is now fixed.
    - Rendering issues is now solved (but not on stock android browser, you are recommended to use Chrome or other browsers).
    - Enabled multiwindow support.
    - Some performance improvements.
    - Add gains to input/output volume(should fixed low volume problem in some situations). Also maybe mic problem of Viber and some IM apps is fixed.

01/05
    - Snap Camera was removed and has been replaced by Google Camera, now the camera should work a lot better than previous build.
    - GPS now has been completly fixed, it was working but with some errors that cause performance issues.
    - Microphone was not working on some applications, now should work fine. Still have some problems while using headphones, we're working on that.
    - General performance has been improved.
    - DualSIM support, now should work on FD variant, please report.
    - Now the random freeze problem should be gone.
    - Video playback will work after a second reboot due to SELinux, please report.

01/02
    - Camera has been fixed, it won't work anymore when you closed it due to some HAL problems, we're working on that. It will work again after a few minutes.
    - Now flashlight it's working, but it will work when camera works.
    - GPS has been fixed.
    - Low volume audio via headphone jack has been fixed.

12/30
    - Initial Release.
    Will our s7 edge get official lineage os ?
    we are launching official builds next week
    I never say this is daily driver, in fact on thread says this is a WIP and yes, some features are working great, but other "seems to work" (not tested or with small problems)
    You can use as daily driver if you want, but it's not my business...
    So, for me the best title for my project is BETA, we are not on that early phase, but we are far from a 100% stable build, I'm sorry if you don't like this, but I can't lie, I hate to say "this works" when I know it's failing inside...
    We have a good project and good people working all the time we have, it's just about time to get a more mature state
    (and yes, this and RR are the same, so...)
    New build is available now.

Changelog:

01/05
    - Snap Camera was removed and has been replaced by Google Camera, now the camera should work a lot better than previous build.
    - GPS now has been completly fixed, it was working but with some errors that cause performance issues.
    - Microphone was not working on some applications, now should work fine. Still have some problems while using headphones, we're working on that.
    - General performance has been improved.
    - DualSIM support, now should work on FD variant, please report.
    - Now the random freeze problem should be gone.
    - Video playback will work after a second reboot due to SELinux, please report.