[ROM][G950U/G955U]Pixelish S9 ROM - Custom System for Snapdragon S8/+

Search This thread

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne
How to mod it yourself!

This is a little thing on how to mod it yourself.

You need to download the system for the device, just use the one I have above. Then you need to mount it in Linux using the command sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 folder name. This should mount as an r/w. I did it in Kali Linux and didn't have issues while Ubuntu did some funky stuff. Then you mod the systems normally like making a ROM. Whenever you mod something you need to set the proper permissions with chmod and context with sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0 filename. You might need to install attr to get it. Then once you're done, unmount with sudo umount folder name and then add it to a .tar file without any compression and flash it in Odin like the instructions. Just use your system instead of mine. If you make it and post it, just credit me2151 and me (mweinbach).

This is what I've done so far. I've tried to follow the instructions on post 3 and used some other sources googling XDA. I can't post links.

I installed Kali onto usb and run it. I cd to the directory and then mount the system.img.ext4 to my folder labeled "2."
root@kali:~# cd /media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 2

I then add my apps to system/app in folders with the exact names as their apk.
app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk for example. [FakeGPS,FakeGPSRoute, GPSJoyStick.]

I used the following guide to help me Chmod since i'm completely new to this. [Guide] How to modify yourself system.img partition by aoprea.. (Have to google can't link.)

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/FakeGPS
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/FakeGPSRoute
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/FakeGPSRoute.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/GPSJoyStick
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/GPSJoyStick/GPSJoyStick.apk

I then read what you said about needing to do setfattr and this is what I think I'm supposed to do. I didnt get an error.

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/GPSJoyStick
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/GPSJoyStick/GPSJoyStick.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/FakeGPSRoute.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPS/
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk

I then unmount

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo umount 2
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System#

I switch back to windows and archive it with 7-Zip as tar.

Does this seem right?

I try to follow your steps except I dont get a boot loop until after I've done the CSC file. Before that I get into upload mode from kernal panic but no boot loop. Any advice? I'm pretty sure its just how I'm editing my system.img.ext4.

Thank you!!! I have so much hope in this lol.

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
This is what I've done so far. I've tried to follow the instructions on post 3 and used some other sources googling XDA. I can't post links.

I installed Kali onto usb and run it. I cd to the directory and then mount the system.img.ext4 to my folder labeled "2."
root@kali:~# cd /media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 2

I then add my apps to system/app in folders with the exact names as their apk.
app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk for example. [FakeGPS,FakeGPSRoute, GPSJoyStick.]

I used the following guide to help me Chmod since i'm completely new to this. [Guide] How to modify yourself system.img partition by aoprea.. (Have to google can't link.)

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/FakeGPS
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/FakeGPSRoute
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/FakeGPSRoute.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0755 2/app/GPSJoyStick
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# chmod 0644 2/app/GPSJoyStick/GPSJoyStick.apk

I then read what you said about needing to do setfattr and this is what I think I'm supposed to do. I didnt get an error.

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/GPSJoyStick
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/GPSJoyStick/GPSJoyStick.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPSRoute/FakeGPSRoute.apk
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPS/
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v ubject_r:system_file:s0 2/app/FakeGPS/FakeGPS.apk

I then unmount

root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System# sudo umount 2
root@kali:/media/root/BAB45304B452C295/S8System#

I switch back to windows and archive it with 7-Zip as tar.

Does this seem right?

I try to follow your steps except I dont get a boot loop until after I've done the CSC file. Before that I get into upload mode from kernal panic but no boot loop. Any advice? I'm pretty sure its just how I'm editing my system.img.ext4.

Thank you!!! I have so much hope in this lol.

seems right to me. Just flash that instead of my system and your good.

Reactions: Applesarekool

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne
How to mod it yourself!

You need to download the system for the device, just use the one I have above. Then you need to mount it in Linux using the command sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 folder name. This should mount as an r/w. I did it in Kali Linux and didn't have issues while Ubuntu did some funky stuff. Then you mod the systems normally like making a ROM. Whenever you mod something you need to set the proper permissions with chmod and context with sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0 filename. You might need to install attr to get it. Then once you're done, unmount with sudo umount folder name and then add it to a .tar file without any compression and flash it in Odin like the instructions. Just use your system instead of mine. If you make it and post it, just credit me2151 and me (mweinbach).

seems right to me. Just flash that instead of my system and your good.

RIP. Still bootlooping after following the steps. I'm cursed. Trying with the unaltered system.img you have to make sure it boots.

Last edited:

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne
Weird. Does my system work?

Same bootloop. :C I'll try to explain my steps for how I've been trying to flash it.

Starting from a clean stock rom with a one time boot without setting up, freshly flashed from odin.

1. Download all three files.
2. Open Modified odin provided.
3. Flash Oreo BL Install G950U.tar as BL. No other items need ticked. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.]
4. Reboot and re-enter download mode.
5. Remove BL from list to flash or reset. Add your system.tar to AP. Check Nand Erase and Repartition. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.] Go to Pit tab and add DREAMQLTE_USA_SINGLE.pit to it. Start.
6. Reboot and reenter download mode.
7. Hit reset within Odin.
8. Select S8 CRB9 ap as AP, S8 CRB9 bl as BL, and S8 CRB8 CP as CP. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.] Flash and reboot.
9. DOES NOT BOOTLOOP EVEN ONCE. Instead, it goes to upload mode after a short black pause. KERNAL PANIC.
10. Enter download mode from upload mode.
11. Remove check marks from AP, BL, CP and load CRB9 CSC.tar as CSC. Flash and reboot.
12. Enters recovery. "Fails to update."
13. Factory data reset. Wipe Cache. Reboot.
14. Eternal bootlooop. :C

Now trying with stock system.img.ext4 converted to tar.

Last edited:

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
Same bootloop. :C I'll try to explain my steps for how I've been trying to flash it.

Starting from a clean stock rom with a one time boot without setting up, freshly flashed from odin.

1. Download all three files.
2. Open Modified odin provided.
3. Flash Oreo BL Install G950U.tar as BL. No other items need ticked. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.]
4. Reboot and re-enter download mode.
5. Remove BL from list to flash or reset. Add your system.tar to AP. Check Nand Erase and Repartition. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.] Go to Pit tab and add DREAMQLTE_USA_SINGLE.pit to it. Start.
6. Reboot and reenter download mode.
7. Hit reset within Odin.
8. Select S8 CRB9 ap as AP, S8 CRB9 bl as BL, and S8 CRB8 CP as CP. [Left to default factory reset time auto reboot.] Flash and reboot.
9. DOES NOT BOOTLOOP EVEN ONCE. Instead, it goes to upload mode after a short black pause. KERNAL PANIC.
10. Enter download mode from upload mode.
11. Remove check marks from AP, BL, CP and load CRB9 CSC.tar as CSC. Flash and reboot.
12. Enters recovery. "Fails to update."
13. Factory data reset. Wipe Cache. Reboot.
14. Eternal bootlooop. :C
When flashing system, do you let it finish and fail? Try using prince comsey odin just for this step. As soon as it fails you go to download mode flash those files NOT CSC at this point. Let it finish flashing and bootloop, then go to recovery and let that bootloop. Then go and flash CSC.

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne
When flashing system, do you let it finish and fail? Try using prince comsey odin just for this step. As soon as it fails you go to download mode flash those files NOT CSC at this point. Let it finish flashing and bootloop, then go to recovery and let that bootloop. Then go and flash CSC.

Still getting upload mode/kernal panic instead of bootlooping. If I try to enter recovery from upload mode it just re-enters upload mode. lol

This is how tech works with me. It will fight me until one of us dies.

Edit:

Yes I let the phone flash all the way. It reboots. After I flash system I just hold download buttons as soon as it reboots to immediately re-enter download.

Last edited:

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
Still getting upload mode/kernal panic instead of bootlooping. If I try to enter recovery from upload mode it just re-enters upload mode. lol

This is how tech works with me. It will fight me until one of us dies.

Edit:

Yes I let the phone flash all the way. It reboots. After I flash system I just hold download buttons as soon as it reboots to immediately re-enter download.
Ok. With upload mode, try holding volume down and power until it shuts off then the other buttons for recovery

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne
Ok. With upload mode, try holding volume down and power until it shuts off then the other buttons for recovery

: D Improvement! Currently in recovery bootloop after holding down upload keys and quickly switching back to recovery after reboot. Will try to continue steps.

I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN BY RECOVERY LOOP NOW. LOL This is neat. xD

and....

installing system update fails at 32% (I THINK THIS IS LOOKING GOOOOOOD.... )

and....

wiping data/cache... and praying...

ANDDD SAMSUNG LOGO

AND BOOST LOGO.

I love you. We're married now ok? :D <3 :D <3 lol

Looks like I need to redo the unpacking and repacking. The apps I added have no icons and have the names: com.incorporateapps.fakegps. instead of the names I put it. Obviously they dont work either lol.

Last edited:

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
: D Improvement! Currently in recovery bootloop after holding down upload keys and quickly switching back to recovery after reboot. Will try to continue steps.

I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN BY RECOVERY LOOP NOW. LOL This is neat. xD

and....

installing system update fails at 32% (I THINK THIS IS LOOKING GOOOOOOD.... )

and....

wiping data/cache... and praying...

ANDDD SAMSUNG LOGO

AND BOOST LOGO.

I love you. We're married now ok? :D <3 :D <3
Nice

Applesarekool

Aug 12, 2010
Fort Wayne

Sorry, I know you have a life. I can't seem to get the apps I've added to function. Not sure what I'm missing. I thought I only needed to:

Mount system.img.ext4. Add in the APK files within folders of their same name in system/apps [I even changed the folders/apks to their real app names like com.incorporateapps.fakegps] chmod the folders with 755. Chmod the apks with 644. unmount and profit?

Any tips appreciated. I really have been trying to find information about this, but most methods involve just installing the APK then using root to push to system.

Started my own thread asking about configuring the apks to stop derailing! Thank you so much for this thread!

https://xdaforums.com/general/help/question-how-package-app-custom-rom-t3770278

Edit: Everything is working and I love this easy flashing method. I was able to add the extra APKs by following OPs advice. I placed them in priv-app and simply installed the copies of the APKs as updates after the phone booted.

Last edited:

eelsid

Jan 23, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
If I'm already on all stock CRB9 on S8, do I really need to install this BL and "NAND erase all", or install the files in step 3? Can I just flash the system.tar and call it a day? I have created a debloated custom one using your directions and would like to flash it without having to set up my user data again.

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
If I'm already on all stock CRB9 on S8, do I really need to install this BL and "NAND erase all", or install the files in step 3? Can I just flash the system.tar and call it a day? I have created a debloated custom one using your directions and would like to flash it without having to set up my user data again.

NAND erase shouldn't be needed, but it still might erase

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
Anything special about the BL you linked or the other files? If it's all just stock I'll try flashing the system.img only.
Everything is needed or it wont work. Trust me. I have been using these systems for months. Not these specifically but the Note8 version. I am posting a Note8 version once I get Odin files, even thought there is another way.

Reactions: eelsid

theninjew

May 30, 2016

Sorry, I know you have a life. I can't seem to get the apps I've added to function. Not sure what I'm missing. I thought I only needed to:

Mount system.img.ext4. Add in the APK files within folders of their same name in system/apps [I even changed the folders/apks to their real app names like com.incorporateapps.fakegps] chmod the folders with 755. Chmod the apks with 644. unmount and profit?

Any tips appreciated. I really have been trying to find information about this, but most methods involve just installing the APK then using root to push to system.

Started my own thread asking about configuring the apks to stop derailing! Thank you so much for this thread!

https://xdaforums.com/general/help/question-how-package-app-custom-rom-t3770278

Edit: Everything is working and I love this easy flashing method. I was able to add the extra APKs by following OPs advice. I placed them in priv-app and simply installed the copies of the APKs as updates after the phone booted.

Sweet. Which device did you build it for?

What's included/excluded in this?

eelsid

Jan 23, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
Everything is needed or it wont work. Trust me. I have been using these systems for months. Not these specifically but the Note8 version. I am posting a Note8 version once I get Odin files, even thought there is another way.

I followed instructions to the T with the exception that I left repartition and NAND erase unchecked on all flashing steps. I am now up and running and did not have to set anything up from scratch as all of my user data was preserved. Thanks for posting this great mod!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing the first Oreo ROM for the S8 and S8+, its basic don't complain.

First of all, before you go any lower read this:
    THIS IS NOT ROOT! This is a custom system image that I modded and allows me to add or remove files and still have it boot and keep Knox intact along with Saftey Net. Unless you mess with the build.prop device stuff, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, and Google Pay should all work.

Second, If you break your phone or mess up and it boot loops, just flash a stock image and start over. Don't come here crying over it not working because these do work and I have had testers use them and run this.

Third, this is pixelish because all I did was add the pixel launcher and a couple pixel files along with S9+ messenger. This is more of an open project.

Forth, If you are a dev interesting and making your own custom system image, message me and I will tell you the ways of this magic.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART!

This ROM currently contains the stock Pixel launcher, a couple new /etc/sysconfig pixel files, and the S9 messenger. Knox still works and so does Saftey Net. This has yet to be debloated.

To install it:
    1. Go to download mode and flash the file install BL.tar with Modded Odin, all files will be linked in like post 2 or 3, I don't know.
    2. Reboot back into download and flash the system.tar (names may vary) in the AP slot with the options reparation and NAND erase all selected, you will also need to use the pit file there. This step will say fail in Odin but that's good.
    3. Reboot BACK to download mode and flash the CRB9 AP, BL, and CP. In between the system flashing and this step, hit reset at the bottom of Odin to reset the options.
    4. Let the phone reboot. It will boot loop, that's good. Now go to recovery and let this boot loop. It will say something about a cache error, that's perfect.
    5. From recovery go to download mode, it might be difficult and you may get to upload mode, just keep holding the keys until you get there. Now flash the CSC file.
    6. After flashing CSC you should be in recovery, now clear data and cache. Hit reboot the system or whatever and you should be good!
    7. Enjoy whatever is in the ROM because I assume some people are going to link back here at some point.

THANKS to @me2151 for finding this and telling me how to do it and such
    How to mod it yourself!

Told yall i was sitting on it til oreo release