[ROM][G950U/G955U]Pixelish S9 ROM - Custom System for Snapdragon S8/+

Search This thread

bradical711

Aug 26, 2017
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6
Why's that? I remember ppl saying that about the last one and PartCyborg got us going on the last one...
For several reasons. Without going in to too much detail, Oreo is completely different than nougat. In more ways than simply a bootloader change, Samsung made a lot of changes to the OS and how it works etc as well as also made a lot of enhancements and changes on their security too. Also, since Oreo didn't come with the s8 by default it's pretty unlikely we will ever see the light of day where a factory image is released with the requirements met to acquire root. It's not really a matter of finding an exploit per say, we just need the right files first which we don't have and can't get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using XDA Labs

Reactions: ShizNick

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah not having an unlocked bootloader and root sucks but having modded oreo with safestrap and Xposed is pretty damn sweet and takes away a lot of the pain. Especially when the hardware is so nice.

Magnusmarshall

May 2, 2012
For several reasons. Without going in to too much detail, Oreo is completely different than nougat. In more ways than simply a bootloader change, Samsung made a lot of changes to the OS and how it works etc as well as also made a lot of enhancements and changes on their security too. Also, since Oreo didn't come with the s8 by default it's pretty unlikely we will ever see the light of day where a factory image is released with the requirements met to acquire root. It's not really a matter of finding an exploit per say, we just need the right files first which we don't have and can't get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using XDA Labs

Not to say that root can't happen since the s9 came with oero by default and the hardware in many ways is the same.
That said its anyone's guess as to when that may happen and for the moment we are not in too much pain as mentioned.

Magnusmarshall

May 2, 2012
Does my s8 have to be rooted for this to work? I have a Verizon galaxy s8

No it shall work fine.

Although your likely going to run into issues when you get to step 4 as its likely going to go to a upload screen with a kernel panic rather then boot loop as needed.
Not the end since in upload mode, hold volume down and power until it shuts off then the other buttons for recovery.

Recovery should boot loop as the instructions say and you can continue on with the instructions.

Once you finished let it boot then restore and enjoy.

Last edited:

ShizNick

Dec 8, 2013
Yeah not having an unlocked bootloader and root sucks but having modded oreo with safestrap and Xposed is pretty damn sweet and takes away a lot of the pain. Especially when the hardware is so nice.

I've tried to get into safestrap and can't, twice I've installed too.... Any idea why?

G

GuestK00260

How to mod it yourself!

This is a little thing on how to mod it yourself.

You need to download the system for the device, just use the one I have above. Then you need to mount it in Linux using the command sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 folder name. This should mount as an r/w. I did it in Kali Linux and didn't have issues while Ubuntu did some funky stuff. Then you mod the systems normally like making a ROM. Whenever you mod something you need to set the proper permissions with chmod and context with sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0 filename. You might need to install attr to get it. Then once you're done, unmount with sudo umount folder name and then add it to a .tar file without any compression and flash it in Odin like the instructions. Just use your system instead of mine. If you make it and post it, just credit me2151 and me (mweinbach).

Hi @mweinbach
I want to extract system.img.ext4 from stock firmware and change my G950U/G955U Sprint to foreign OMC.
I have already tested on rooted G950U successfully on PartCyborgRom QL1 without tripping the Knox.
But PartCyborgRom has no Knox and SafetyNet, and i can't use the Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass and Secure Folder.
I heard that Pixelish S9 Rom you made does not trip the Knox and has included the Knox and SafetyNet, and i can use Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass and Secure Folder.

I have 2 questions.

1. I downloaded RC5 Oreo G950U/G955U stock firmware and converted system.img.ext4 to system.raw.img.ext4 by simg2img and changed file name to system.img.ext4 and mounted successfully. Is it OK?
2. I want to modify these folders without tripping the Knox and without removing the Knox and SafetyNet.
And I want to use the Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass, Secure Folder.

/system/app (Add new foreign carrier apps)
/system/carrier (Delete folder)
/system/kaf (Add folder)
/system/lib (Add new foreign carrier files)
/system/lib64 (Add new foreign carrier files)
/system/omc (Change to foreign Multi-OMC)
/system/priv-app (Add new foreign carrier apps)
/system/skt (Add folder)
/system/build.prop (Change model name to SM-G950N or SM-G955N)

I have already tested on my very many rooted devices and it was all successful.
Only the problem is does this action could trip the Knox? Is It OK?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kulyash

Jan 6, 2014
INS CSC for this rom

Introducing the first Oreo ROM for the S8 and S8+, its basic don't complain.

First of all, before you go any lower read this:
THIS IS NOT ROOT! This is a custom system image that I modded and allows me to add or remove files and still have it boot and keep Knox intact along with Saftey Net. Unless you mess with the build.prop device stuff, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, and Google Pay should all work.

Second, If you break your phone or mess up and it boot loops, just flash a stock image and start over. Don't come here crying over it not working because these do work and I have had testers use them and run this.

Third, this is pixelish because all I did was add the pixel launcher and a couple pixel files along with S9+ messenger. This is more of an open project.

Forth, If you are a dev interesting and making your own custom system image, message me and I will tell you the ways of this magic.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART!

This ROM currently contains the stock Pixel launcher, a couple new /etc/sysconfig pixel files, and the S9 messenger. Knox still works and so does Saftey Net. This has yet to be debloated.

To install it:
1. Go to download mode and flash the file install BL.tar with Modded Odin, all files will be linked in like post 2 or 3, I don't know.
2. Reboot back into download and flash the system.tar (names may vary) in the AP slot with the options reparation and NAND erase all selected, you will also need to use the pit file there. This step will say fail in Odin but that's good.
3. Reboot BACK to download mode and flash the CRB9 AP, BL, and CP. In between the system flashing and this step, hit reset at the bottom of Odin to reset the options.
4. Let the phone reboot. It will boot loop, that's good. Now go to recovery and let this boot loop. It will say something about a cache error, that's perfect.
5. From recovery go to download mode, it might be difficult and you may get to upload mode, just keep holding the keys until you get there. Now flash the CSC file.
6. After flashing CSC you should be in recovery, now clear data and cache. Hit reboot the system or whatever and you should be good!
7. Enjoy whatever is in the ROM because I assume some people are going to link back here at some point.

THANKS to @me2151 for finding this and telling me how to do it and such
Sir please mod the csc to support ins from india so that we can use jio 4g volte in india. Without it my phone feels like dead. I dont want 80% battery just for volte. Please sir it will be very helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing the first Oreo ROM for the S8 and S8+, its basic don't complain.

First of all, before you go any lower read this:
    THIS IS NOT ROOT! This is a custom system image that I modded and allows me to add or remove files and still have it boot and keep Knox intact along with Saftey Net. Unless you mess with the build.prop device stuff, Samsung Pay, Secure Folder, and Google Pay should all work.

Second, If you break your phone or mess up and it boot loops, just flash a stock image and start over. Don't come here crying over it not working because these do work and I have had testers use them and run this.

Third, this is pixelish because all I did was add the pixel launcher and a couple pixel files along with S9+ messenger. This is more of an open project.

Forth, If you are a dev interesting and making your own custom system image, message me and I will tell you the ways of this magic.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART!

This ROM currently contains the stock Pixel launcher, a couple new /etc/sysconfig pixel files, and the S9 messenger. Knox still works and so does Saftey Net. This has yet to be debloated.

To install it:
    1. Go to download mode and flash the file install BL.tar with Modded Odin, all files will be linked in like post 2 or 3, I don't know.
    2. Reboot back into download and flash the system.tar (names may vary) in the AP slot with the options reparation and NAND erase all selected, you will also need to use the pit file there. This step will say fail in Odin but that's good.
    3. Reboot BACK to download mode and flash the CRB9 AP, BL, and CP. In between the system flashing and this step, hit reset at the bottom of Odin to reset the options.
    4. Let the phone reboot. It will boot loop, that's good. Now go to recovery and let this boot loop. It will say something about a cache error, that's perfect.
    5. From recovery go to download mode, it might be difficult and you may get to upload mode, just keep holding the keys until you get there. Now flash the CSC file.
    6. After flashing CSC you should be in recovery, now clear data and cache. Hit reboot the system or whatever and you should be good!
    7. Enjoy whatever is in the ROM because I assume some people are going to link back here at some point.

THANKS to @me2151 for finding this and telling me how to do it and such
    How to mod it yourself!

This is a little thing on how to mod it yourself.

You need to download the system for the device, just use the one I have above. Then you need to mount it in Linux using the command sudo mount -o loop system.img.ext4 folder name. This should mount as an r/w. I did it in Kali Linux and didn't have issues while Ubuntu did some funky stuff. Then you mod the systems normally like making a ROM. Whenever you mod something you need to set the proper permissions with chmod and context with sudo setfattr -n security.selinux -v u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0 filename. You might need to install attr to get it. Then once you're done, unmount with sudo umount folder name and then add it to a .tar file without any compression and flash it in Odin like the instructions. Just use your system instead of mine. If you make it and post it, just credit me2151 and me (mweinbach).
    Told yall i was sitting on it til oreo release