[ROM][G950U SD][8.0][NO ROOT] Slick ROM - Performance and Battery

Search This thread

jasons1004

Sep 17, 2010
chicago
Actually, Substratum theme engine does work on this ROM. I Flashed it, then installed Substratum, then the dark theme I use and it's working just perfectly fine.
Nice maybe I'll try. I only assumed without trying.
You still need the Andromeda add on for Samsung right?
Kinda funny to pay 4$ (Andromeda plus theme)just to apply black theme but maybe I will.

Last edited:

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
VT
The U model S8s are real temperamental on CSCs. I have not tried this but I did notice a comment for not working on verizon, And I run Xfinity mobile which runs on verizons towers.But has a setup method of its own....As it activates partially on my home router.
I have noticed in past that a lot of these issues can be solved by flashing your respective carriers CSCs

Reactions: ililaoban

frewys

Jan 12, 2005
Miami beach
Quick update
Big plus for standby battery life standby!
Was draining usually about 15% during night with radio on and about 4% flight mode
Tonight I drained 1% with WiFi and cell on!! ?

Camera send a little blurrier compared to stock too my eye
Haven't really played with it that much yet though and installed modded versions
Also lack of sleep card same is a bit annoying

For some reason smart switch would not restore my SMS on this ROM and obviously Samsung cloud is not on here

Will try later if I get a chance to play with getting some Sammy all back like camera

tele_jas

Aug 18, 2006
Mount Vernon
Nice maybe I'll try. I only assumed without trying.
You still need the Andromeda add on for Samsung right?
Kinda funny to pay 4$ (Andromeda plus theme)just to apply black theme but maybe I will.

Yeah, but it looks so good! I purchased the theme almost 2 years ago, to use with my Nexus 6P. Luckily, it's a popular theme and still supported with weekly, or more, updates.

Reactions: jasons1004

jasons1004

Sep 17, 2010
chicago
Yeah, but it looks so good! I purchased the theme almost 2 years ago, to use with my Nexus 6P. Luckily, it's a popular theme and still supported with weekly, or more, updates.

I agree it is very nice... What theme is it? Haven't used substratum for years..
I hate all the white they use now... Always choose black theme.

tele_jas

Aug 18, 2006
Mount Vernon
Yeah I bought them.... Got the black one tho.
You really have to verify on a PC to install theme every time you restart??

Yeah.....It's a pain in the butt!

You have to start the desktop verion of Andromeda, which automatically opens Substratum on your phone. If it doesn't, or you close out, you can open it manually.

Then you apply your theme (Build and Enable, I believe it what it's called). Then you have to restart your phone and start the process over again. This time, you have to go in, check-mark them, and "Enable" them. Then, it's a good idea to restart one more time.

It sounds tedious, but I can literally do this in less than 3 or 4 minutes. Building the themes takes longer than the restarting and starting Andromeda on your PC. It's also quicker than it was in Nougat, where you had to "Install" each individual overlay, then restart your phone. The Oreo version also seems a little more stable, with less errors.

But yes, you have to connect your phone to a PC (or Mac) to get the process to work.

If you decide you don't want an app themed, because you don't like it or it's crashing, you just (start the process again) and disable the overlay, no need to restart....But I do, for good measure.

Last edited:

jasons1004

Sep 17, 2010
chicago
This is the best ROMs I've used for battery life. Simple phenomenal. Has anyone here gotten bxactions to work, though?

I tried bxactions but no option to remap bixby button..
Use all in one gestures as mentioned in OP
Give permissions and add the button that you want to be map and choose the action you want to change to.
I changed to no action
Good luck.

Reactions: iamnotexisting

iamnotexisting

Aug 23, 2017
Portland, OR
I tried bxactions but no option to remap bixby button..
Use all in one gestures as mentioned in OP
Give permissions and add the button that you want to be map and choose the action you want to change to.
I changed to no action
Good luck.
Thanks man, it's too bad bxactions isn't working atm. I'm settling with AIO Gestures, and it works, but not as good as BX. Oh well, you win some you lose some!

john87hill

Jul 22, 2017
Hey, guys is anyone having issues with Google play service in this rom? For some reason when I try to add google account it shows me the black screen. Same thing happens if I open play store and when I open Google app it says Stopped working. I tried all the given steps removing cache updating apps manually. But not able to succeed. Please, can anyone help me with this?

Last edited:

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
I'll just try not to reboot unless I'm home....lol
That white background is no good. Glad some kind of themes work on this rom at least.
This rom is standby drain king!
About 50% less screen off drain than stock crb9 in my testing

Main thing to remember is that you don't lose overlays when you reboot so the PC is only needed if you want to make a change

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimers
    - THIS IS FOR SNAPDRAGON G950U ONLY!
    - I am not responsible if your phone gets bricked.
    - This process WILL wipe your data (unavoidable).
    - This ROM has only been tested by me on AT&T. I don't know how other carriers work so report bugs please.
    Features
    - 100% Battery life!
    - Comes with just 6 apps installed (the rest can be installed from the Play Store).
    - Camera2Api.
    - 4K YouTube support.
    - Launcher always in ram (faster home menu opening).
    - Better ram management.
    - Smoother UI.
    - Fast performance.
    - ART tweaks.
    - Battery saving tweaks.
    - Better JPEG quality.
    - Better media playback.
    - Multi-user (up to 30).
    - Disabled SPCM (Auto App Killing Device).
    - HEAVY debloat.
    - Removed carrier bloat APKs.
    - Replaced Camera with Google Camera.
    - Replaced Phone with Google Dialer.
    - Replaced SoundAlive with AOSP Equalizer.
    - Replaced UI sounds with Pixel sounds.
    - Replaced Roboto fonts with Pixel fonts.
    - Replaced Samsung Emojis with 8.1 Oreo Emojis.
    - Faster bootup.
    - Bixby is mapped to Back.
    - Bixby is remappable with any app (IE: All In One Gestures).
    - Replaced Samsung Keyboard with AOSP LatinIME.
    - Great idle battery life.
    - Great Screen on-time battery life (around 5% an hour for Screen).
    Features Lost
    - Knox APKs means disablers like SABS, BK, and AdHell will not work.
    - Samsung Camera is removed.
    - Duel Messenger.
    - EasyOneHand.
    - Wifi Calling.
    - VoLTE.
    Key Combos
    Recovery Mode: Bixby + Volume Up + Power.
    Download Mode: Bixby + Volume Down + Power.
    Install
    - Download and extract the rom zip file linked.
    - Download and extract Raymonf's modded odin.
    - Plug in your device and boot into download mode.
    - Flash the Oreo BL Install G950U.tar.
    - Reboot back into download mode.
    - Go to options and enable repartition and nand erase.
    - Go to PIT and select the PIT file.
    - Flash the AP_COMBO.tar.
    - Reboot back into download mode.
    - Flash the BL.tar and CP.tar WITHOUT nand erase.
    - Reboot into recovery mode (not download mode).
    - Allow it to loop at least once, and reboot into download mode.
    - Flash CSC.tar.
    - Allow the phone to automatically reboot to recovery mode (it will error, be patient).
    - Format data (REQUIRED).
    - Reboot.
    Post Install
    - Set default dialer app to Google Dialer.
    - Disable Enhanced LTE services (VoLTE) (fixes missing some calls).
    - Disable Wifi Calling.
    - [OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED] Full battery cycle (drain to 0 and charge to 100).
    - Enjoy! :eek:
    Downloads
    G950U_SLICK_v1.0.zip
    Raymonf's Modded Odin

Credits: Thanks to @mweinbach and @me2151 and @kdragon for dev help, debugging, flashing methods, and allowing me to test. [OG THREAD]
    I was running into weird problems with this new Odin. I have a Mac running windows 10. I tried flashing this and did every step by the instructions. It did exactly everything except wouldn't start. Then it but would flash some screen and reboot to upload mode generic one. I had to close out Odin every time I flashed something because sometimes I would get an error in Odin. The first time I flashed and the few after with no luck it didn't give an error and flashed the second to last time it errored. So I reflashed, closed out everytime time and it worked. But was having trouble texting. So I flashed my carrier CSC with the user data file. The user data completely wipes the phone so no data from anything is deep in there or anywhere. You need your home CSC. My WiFi calling and most the problems listed don't even exist on mine. I am on t mobile on a branded sprint phone sim unlocked. Sprint s8 are the worst s8's. Sprint has their own bullshit. Verizon is usually the easiest because they are the ones most other carriers base their off of. Example is every rooted method uses the Verizon build.

thanks for the insight! I found a different way now though...

I just went through the setup process with that stupid popup every three seconds and eventually used this method to get rid of the service:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

it works very well now for me :)
    Quite unclear, so this rom does not trip knox, it's just that knox is unavailable? So if I flash the stock rom it will work again?

This doesn't trip Knox flag but all Knox and a LOT of Sammy stuff is gone so you can't use Knox based stuff like BKDisabler. When you flash stock again it's all normal.
    This Rom work on SM-G950W so good news
    Great work, respect and thanks ? I assume this will trigger KNOX?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone