[ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.4.0.24] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5T

Search This thread

deathmist

Jun 2, 2019
This work is released under the permissive MIT license.

6lIuAZv.png

(click above image for higher resolution and quality images!)

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* I am NOT responsible for data loss, you getting fired because the alarm app failed or if you brick
* your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this OS
* port before flashing! YOU are choosing to do these modifications, and if you point the finger at me
* for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* BOOM goes the dynamite!
*/

Hello, fellow XDA developers & users alike!
I think it's been long enough that we've not had alternative non-Android operating systems in a usable state for the popular OnePlus 5* devices, so here is a Sailfish OS port after over 6 months in development!

I'd really appreciate it if you give feedback and report bugs so I can attempt to fix them as best I can 🤞

Features
  • Slick and clean Sailfish OS UI/UX
  • Fully gesture driven navigation of the OS
  • Ambiences: a combination of system background, primary UI colors, sounds & volume levels
  • Sleep mode gestures e.g. double-tap to wake, music controls, 'V' for toggling flashlight etc
  • Ability to control configurable ambiences with the notification slider
  • Independent & alternative OS not based on Android (droid base is only used for drivers & HAL in SFOS)
  • Run regular GNU/Linux (armhf) tools and utilities natively out of the box from Jolla, OpenRepos, other custom repositories or direct binary format
  • Privacy-first OS with no spyware or bloatware pre-installed
  • Dual-booting between LineageOS & Sailfish OS with a simple zip flash in recovery (boot-switcher, linked below)
  • OS version OTAs, look at the merproject wiki page (see 'OTA updates' below)
  • A stable hardware adaptation (port) with basically everything working, but please also read about the problems right below
  • And more to explore...

Problems
  • No Android apps (APK) will run inside Sailfish OS as is the norm with community ports; you can just dual-boot with LineageOS (see FAQ below)
  • There is no VoLTE / VoWiFi support in SFOS at the moment (see FAQ below)
  • Even though NFC works, it's implementation is quite basic in Sailfish OS currently
  • Produced video recordings from the camera are unusable right now due to corruption of the beginning in recordings & artifacts when moving even slightly
  • Flashlight misbehaves for picture taking by taking too long to activate and causing nearly pitch black images (it also turns on/off rapidly a few times when disabling)
  • Some audio does not get routed properly to/from (Bluetooth) headsets
  • Sailfish OS Developer mode (SSH via USB cable) doesn't work
  • Rarely waking up from sleep mode can take a long time (up to about 15 seconds)

How to install
  1. Backup all your data from the device to a computer
  2. Download Pie Firmware 9.0.11, TWRP 3.4.x image, the LineageOS 16.0 base ROM & a Sailfish OS release
  3. Install device firmware version 9.0.11 (not the ROM!)
  4. Flash TWRP 3.4.x as your recovery
  5. Reformat /data to ext4 and check it for issues
  6. Reboot to recovery
  7. Wipe cache & dalvik
  8. Flash LineageOS 16.0
  9. Flash anything else you normally flash for Android e.g. GApps, Magisk, no dm_verity etc
  10. Flash Sailfish OS (the zip that contains rootfs.tar.bz2) from inside CI artifacts archive
  11. Reboot and enjoy!
You can also flash my boot-switcher zip (or switch between hybris-boot and droid-boot images created on /sdcard) afterwards for simple dual-booting of the 2 operating systems!

Links & source
sailfishos-oneplus5: All project repos & source
important: Info and detailed guides about flashing, self-building etc
android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998: The used kernel source
sailfishos.org: General info about the OS as well as contributing, translation, app development etc

Changelog
wiki.merproject.org: Place with general info about the port status, OTAs etc
droid-config commits: Stuff modified on the Sailfish OS side

OTA updates
See "OTA (Over-the-Air) update" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

Special thanks to
kimmoli for gesture-daemon & triambience
nathanchance for maintaining the OP5 linux-stable merged kernel tree
Mister_Magister, mal, r0kk3rz, rinigus, PiggZ, spiiroin, jusa, vknecht, NotKit and everyone else at #sailfishos-porters
The port was made possible thanks to you all!

FAQ
What does "SFOS" mean?
Sailfish OS; it's simply a common abbreviation.

Can I run [insert name here] Android app in Sailfish OS?
If there is no currently maintained client or similar app in the Jolla Store or (my preference) OpenRepos, then probably not. I may look into bringing Android app support via Anbox or similar project much later on; no ETAs.

Does VoLTE or VoWiFi work in Sailfish OS?
As of SFOS 3.4.0, these are still not implemented, but should be coming later in perhaps Sailfish OS 4.

How can I skip the SFOS beginner tutorial?
Tap each corner of the screen once starting from top-left going clockwise.

I found a bug, what can I do?
See "Report bugs" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.4.0.24] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5T, ROM for the OnePlus 5T

Contributors
deathmist
Source Code: https://github.com/sailfishos-oneplus5

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: 9.0.11 (Pie)
Based On: LineageOS 16.0

Version Information
Stable
Current Stable Version: 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

Created 2020-01-17
Last Updated 2020-12-10

Last edited:

deathmist

Jun 2, 2019
There has been a long-standing issue with NFC always getting re-enabled after a reboot in SFOS. Obviously this is not what you'd want as it causes unnecessary battery drain even when NFC is entirely unused.
This was happening due to a directory ownership issue and should be fixed in the next Sailfish OS release officially.

For now though I fixed this manually on the new uploaded Sailfish OS image (zip), BUT if you already have the OS installed (flashed build <=20200117), you can just reinstall nfcd from a terminal & toggle the option once in Settings to fix the same issue:
Code:
devel-su zypper in --force nfcd

Last edited:

Kjivar

Dec 12, 2014
Hi, excellent work. I took it for a test. Great rom and it's nice to see this alternative on this device. Love the concept of a Google free OS and it has a nice UI. First boot didn't take a long time at all for me. Camera issues and not being able to install apps via F-droid or apkmirror is a minor set back. I'd love to run this as my DD, but it requires some workarounds for me.
I was considering using my old phone (nexus 6) for the missing apps and games to avoid dual booting.

Looking forward to seeing what the future brings with this OS. Keep up the good work ??

jasonsas102

Aug 4, 2019
Doubt it, but currently you could try any other Oreo-based ROM too if you want to see (I'm not providing any kind of support though for anything other than the LineageOS base). I answered this previously on the OP5 thread post #21.
alright well if I decide to go that route I'll make sure to tell you if it works or not

deathmist

Jun 2, 2019
If you have to have LineageOS 15 - are you able to update to LOS16after Sailfish is installed or are you stuck on 15? Thanks.

Nope, this Sailfish OS port for 15.1 Oreo firmware only currently as that is the LineageOS version the port's Android kernel and HAL parts are built around; anything else will result in a non-booting device (using the SFOS hybris-boot image anyway).

Reactions: -scryptic-

JR Bautista

Jun 4, 2016
Manila
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hello everyone!

The port has now been upgraded to SFOS 3.3.0 and HAL components are now all based on Android 9 Pie! :cool:
Check out the details of this release here!

EDIT: I know the LineageOS downloads site is sadly down currently (as is the merproject wiki), you could perhaps scavange the internet for a mirror of some older build or just wait a while till the problems are resolved on their ends :fingers-crossed:
can i ask that fingerprint it works?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi, does someone here have a mirror of lineage 16 build ?
    +1
    Lineage 16 not available anymore. Failed to find another location so far
    I've linked my MEGA drive mirror of the last official 16.0 builds on the SFOS 3.4 release tag.
    This work is released under the permissive MIT license.

6lIuAZv.png

(click above image for higher resolution and quality images!)

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * I am NOT responsible for data loss, you getting fired because the alarm app failed or if you brick
    * your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this OS
    * port before flashing! YOU are choosing to do these modifications, and if you point the finger at me
    * for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * BOOM goes the dynamite!
    */

Hello, fellow XDA developers & users alike!
    I think it's been long enough that we've not had alternative non-Android operating systems in a usable state for the popular OnePlus 5* devices, so here is a Sailfish OS port after over 6 months in development!

I'd really appreciate it if you give feedback and report bugs so I can attempt to fix them as best I can 🤞

Features
    • Slick and clean Sailfish OS UI/UX
    • Fully gesture driven navigation of the OS
    • Ambiences: a combination of system background, primary UI colors, sounds & volume levels
    • Sleep mode gestures e.g. double-tap to wake, music controls, 'V' for toggling flashlight etc
    • Ability to control configurable ambiences with the notification slider
    • Independent & alternative OS not based on Android (droid base is only used for drivers & HAL in SFOS)
    • Run regular GNU/Linux (armhf) tools and utilities natively out of the box from Jolla, OpenRepos, other custom repositories or direct binary format
    • Privacy-first OS with no spyware or bloatware pre-installed
    • Dual-booting between LineageOS & Sailfish OS with a simple zip flash in recovery (boot-switcher, linked below)
    • OS version OTAs, look at the merproject wiki page (see 'OTA updates' below)
    • A stable hardware adaptation (port) with basically everything working, but please also read about the problems right below
    • And more to explore...

Problems
    • No Android apps (APK) will run inside Sailfish OS as is the norm with community ports; you can just dual-boot with LineageOS (see FAQ below)
    • There is no VoLTE / VoWiFi support in SFOS at the moment (see FAQ below)
    • Even though NFC works, it's implementation is quite basic in Sailfish OS currently
    • Produced video recordings from the camera are unusable right now due to corruption of the beginning in recordings & artifacts when moving even slightly
    • Flashlight misbehaves for picture taking by taking too long to activate and causing nearly pitch black images (it also turns on/off rapidly a few times when disabling)
    • Some audio does not get routed properly to/from (Bluetooth) headsets
    • Sailfish OS Developer mode (SSH via USB cable) doesn't work
    • Rarely waking up from sleep mode can take a long time (up to about 15 seconds)

How to install
    1. Backup all your data from the device to a computer
    2. Download Pie Firmware 9.0.11, TWRP 3.4.x image, the LineageOS 16.0 base ROM & a Sailfish OS release
    3. Install device firmware version 9.0.11 (not the ROM!)
    4. Flash TWRP 3.4.x as your recovery
    5. Reformat /data to ext4 and check it for issues
    6. Reboot to recovery
    7. Wipe cache & dalvik
    8. Flash LineageOS 16.0
    9. Flash anything else you normally flash for Android e.g. GApps, Magisk, no dm_verity etc
    10. Flash Sailfish OS (the zip that contains rootfs.tar.bz2) from inside CI artifacts archive
    11. Reboot and enjoy!
    You can also flash my boot-switcher zip (or switch between hybris-boot and droid-boot images created on /sdcard) afterwards for simple dual-booting of the 2 operating systems!

Links & source
    sailfishos-oneplus5: All project repos & source
    important: Info and detailed guides about flashing, self-building etc
    android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998: The used kernel source
    sailfishos.org: General info about the OS as well as contributing, translation, app development etc

Changelog
    wiki.merproject.org: Place with general info about the port status, OTAs etc
    droid-config commits: Stuff modified on the Sailfish OS side

OTA updates
    See "OTA (Over-the-Air) update" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

Special thanks to
    kimmoli for gesture-daemon & triambience
    nathanchance for maintaining the OP5 linux-stable merged kernel tree
    Mister_Magister, mal, r0kk3rz, rinigus, PiggZ, spiiroin, jusa, vknecht, NotKit and everyone else at #sailfishos-porters
    The port was made possible thanks to you all!

FAQ
    What does "SFOS" mean?
    Sailfish OS; it's simply a common abbreviation.

Can I run [insert name here] Android app in Sailfish OS?
    If there is no currently maintained client or similar app in the Jolla Store or (my preference) OpenRepos, then probably not. I may look into bringing Android app support via Anbox or similar project much later on; no ETAs.

Does VoLTE or VoWiFi work in Sailfish OS?
    As of SFOS 3.4.0, these are still not implemented, but should be coming later in perhaps Sailfish OS 4.

How can I skip the SFOS beginner tutorial?
    Tap each corner of the screen once starting from top-left going clockwise.

I found a bug, what can I do?
    See "Report bugs" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.4.0.24] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5T, ROM for the OnePlus 5T

Contributors
    deathmist
    Source Code: https://github.com/sailfishos-oneplus5

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 9.0.11 (Pie)
    Based On: LineageOS 16.0

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

Created 2020-01-17
    Last Updated 2020-12-10
    Fingerprint sensor enablement for the project

Yep, it has happened; the fingerprint sensor is now fully functional and integrated into Sailfish OS thanks to community efforts!
    New users don't have to do anything special as I've updated the SFOS 3.3 zip you can download straight from the porters CI!
    Existing (SFOS 3.3) users however have to run the following in a terminal to get the same enablement:
    Code:
    devel-su
    # enter your SSH password from Settings > Developer tools
    zypper ref -f
    zypper dup
    # choose solution 1 to deinstall conflicting encsfa packages
    reboot
    After this you can just head to Settings > Device lock > Add fingerprint and follow the instructions to enroll new fingerprints :)
    Let's hope this all works out on the 5T as well because I can only test on the regular 5 myself :fingers-crossed:

NOTE: Keep in mind simply pressing on the sensor once when the screen is off will just wake up the device to the password prompt and you have to press your finger down AGAIN to actually identify with a saved fingerprint.
    Upgrade to Sailfish OS 3.3.0 (Rokua)

Hello everyone!

The port has now been upgraded to SFOS 3.3.0 and HAL components are now all based on Android 9 Pie! :cool:
    Upgrade to Sailfish OS 3.4.0 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

Hello everyone!

The port has now been upgraded to SFOS 3.4.0! :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone