• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.4.0.24] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5T

Search This thread

stoefelz

Mar 19, 2019
3.4 Upgrade went well. Dual Sim is working on my device. The only thing which is not working is the fingerprint reader. But it doesn't matter for me.

stoefelz

Mar 19, 2019
I might sound like a broken record here but I've been considering switching to this Os it'd be a nice change from Android but I use lots of socials and small banking tools daily, is there much if any app support for this? Because I can't see myself giving up these apps.

Android Apps are only supported on Sailfish X devices.
shop.jolla.com
There are rumours that Sailfish X for Xperia 10 II with 64 bit support is comming with Sailfish 4.0 in the next time.

Reactions: Mr.Conkel

charlesDelaware

Oct 15, 2018
Hello All,
Is anyone else running into problems sending MMS with a Ting sim on the OP5T? I cannott find a solution anywhere online. I have tried multiple solutions (cobbled together from other issues regarding SailfishOS on other networks) but, have not arrived at a workable solution. Any help would be appreciated.

stoefelz

Mar 19, 2019
Battery life is on 3.4 better than on 3.3. Great! It seems CPU's sleep mode is working in this version.
The battery standby drain is about 50% lower than before (y)

deathmist

Jun 2, 2019
Trying to install but keep getting ERROR: 5 can't mount /system. Has anyone else experienced this?
That means the command "mount /system" failed inside TWRP shell, are you sure you have an Android ROM installed? You can try formatting the partition as ext4 from the TWRP menu, but you should really flash LineageOS 16.0 (for now) before flashing SFOS as per the instructions.

Reactions: -scryptic-

SilverFurry

Nov 19, 2020
@deathmist Need some help please

I installed sfos 3.3 (as it was the only one i could find on gitlab. the link to download artifacts for 3.4 was not available), used it for a while, was working really well. Then proceeded to update to 3.4 using the command sfos-upgrade 3.4.0.24 after gaining root access, updated sucessfully. Post which tried adding fingerprints, but couldn't then went on to troubleshoot it using

zypper ref && zypper dup
systemctl restart sensorfwd

but still it doesn't work.
Also, double tap to wake screen was broken.

deathmist

Jun 2, 2019
@deathmist Need some help please

I installed sfos 3.3 (as it was the only one i could find on gitlab. the link to download artifacts for 3.4 was not available), used it for a while, was working really well. Then proceeded to update to 3.4 using the command sfos-upgrade 3.4.0.24 after gaining root access, updated sucessfully. Post which tried adding fingerprints, but couldn't then went on to troubleshoot it using

zypper ref && zypper dup
systemctl restart sensorfwd

but still it doesn't work.
Also, double tap to wake screen was broken.
It appears the quick download buttons for the artifacts are indeed gone now for whatever reason, you can still get to them by opening the pipelines though by clicking a few times. Here's the latest 3.4 artifacts for example.

There's some race condition causing various things to fail on boot at times and one easy indication of this is indeed doubletap-to-wake not working. It seems to be related to the SFOS display compositor lipstick failing once, but then starting properly; this could be difficult to fix but I'll take a look at it for the massive SFOS 4.0 upgrade during which I'm hopefully rebasing to hybris-17.1 (Android 10 HAL) as well as switching the userspace to full ARM64.

But for now simply rebooting should fix the non-working gesture daemon and other minor things caused to fail due to that race condition

SilverFurry

Nov 19, 2020
It appears the quick download buttons for the artifacts are indeed gone now for whatever reason, you can still get to them by opening the pipelines though by clicking a few times. Here's the latest 3.4 artifacts for example.

There's some race condition causing various things to fail on boot at times and one easy indication of this is indeed doubletap-to-wake not working. It seems to be related to the SFOS display compositor lipstick failing once, but then starting properly; this could be difficult to fix but I'll take a look at it for the massive SFOS 4.0 upgrade during which I'm hopefully rebasing to hybris-17.1 (Android 10 HAL) as well as switching the userspace to full ARM64.

But for now simply rebooting should fix the non-working gesture daemon and other minor things caused to fail due to that race condition

Hi, thanks for the ROM and the detailed reply. Tried rebooting the devices multiple times but didn't succeed that day, moved back to the previous rom the very next day. ANyway looking forward to SFOS 4.0. Have a great day! Cheers!

daveomg

May 10, 2015
OnePlus 5T
Hi. First of all I would like to thank you for porting linux rom to our devices. It is a pleasure to use in combination with Fedora linux on my desktop pc.

When it comes to bugs I would like to point out that on dumpling the fingerprint sensor is working only on the first startup. After reboot it is no longer detected. To be honest the bug list in the first post of the topic is a little exaggerated :) :

-Camera seems to be working fine for photos on both front and rear lenses, the videos are quite bad quality and looks as if they are really low resolution, but if you need to make a fast video asap they are distinguishable :) .

-Bluetooth audio works perfectly fine on my audiotechnica headphones, the only audio that is not routed properly is connected to system notifications, ringtone etc. You can listen to your music wirelessly without a hassle :).

-The battery is really good in comparison to lineageos 18.1. It lasts for a whole day without problem with my usage: - a lot of music on bt headphones, about 1h of videos on web app, about 30mins of browsing and about 2h a day of calls.

-The off screen gestures are hit or miss. I have never been able to make them work ( maybe to little rebooting).

Overall I really recommend the rom as a daily driver and the terminal linux lovers will be at home , but there is one thing that bothers me...

Has anybody been able to dualboot with los16? The switch zip seems to be working in twrp, but the los does not boot. It is stuck on a boot animation and then boots back to twrp. Switching boot back to sfos works and it boots to sfos without a problem...Do I need to take more steps to have a dualboot? I need one particular android app :/

UPDATE!: Please add to the first post that you have to stay decrypted to dual boot or else lineage will bootloop. It seems to not matter with SFOS

Dualbooting lineageos + SFOS seems like a dream for our phone :). It gives so great experience, totally recommend

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This work is released under the permissive MIT license.

6lIuAZv.png

(click above image for higher resolution and quality images!)

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * I am NOT responsible for data loss, you getting fired because the alarm app failed or if you brick
    * your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this OS
    * port before flashing! YOU are choosing to do these modifications, and if you point the finger at me
    * for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * BOOM goes the dynamite!
    */

Hello, fellow XDA developers & users alike!
    I think it's been long enough that we've not had alternative non-Android operating systems in a usable state for the popular OnePlus 5* devices, so here is a Sailfish OS port after over 6 months in development!

I'd really appreciate it if you give feedback and report bugs so I can attempt to fix them as best I can 🤞

Features
    • Slick and clean Sailfish OS UI/UX
    • Fully gesture driven navigation of the OS
    • Ambiences: a combination of system background, primary UI colors, sounds & volume levels
    • Sleep mode gestures e.g. double-tap to wake, music controls, 'V' for toggling flashlight etc
    • Ability to control configurable ambiences with the notification slider
    • Independent & alternative OS not based on Android (droid base is only used for drivers & HAL in SFOS)
    • Run regular GNU/Linux (armhf) tools and utilities natively out of the box from Jolla, OpenRepos, other custom repositories or direct binary format
    • Privacy-first OS with no spyware or bloatware pre-installed
    • Dual-booting between LineageOS & Sailfish OS with a simple zip flash in recovery (boot-switcher, linked below)
    • OS version OTAs, look at the merproject wiki page (see 'OTA updates' below)
    • A stable hardware adaptation (port) with basically everything working, but please also read about the problems right below
    • And more to explore...

Problems
    • No Android apps (APK) will run inside Sailfish OS as is the norm with community ports; you can just dual-boot with LineageOS (see FAQ below)
    • There is no VoLTE / VoWiFi support in SFOS at the moment (see FAQ below)
    • Even though NFC works, it's implementation is quite basic in Sailfish OS currently
    • Produced video recordings from the camera are unusable right now due to corruption of the beginning in recordings & artifacts when moving even slightly
    • Flashlight misbehaves for picture taking by taking too long to activate and causing nearly pitch black images (it also turns on/off rapidly a few times when disabling)
    • Some audio does not get routed properly to/from (Bluetooth) headsets
    • Sailfish OS Developer mode (SSH via USB cable) doesn't work
    • Rarely waking up from sleep mode can take a long time (up to about 15 seconds)

How to install
    1. Backup all your data from the device to a computer
    2. Download Pie Firmware 9.0.11, TWRP 3.4.x image, the LineageOS 16.0 base ROM & a Sailfish OS release
    3. Install device firmware version 9.0.11 (not the ROM!)
    4. Flash TWRP 3.4.x as your recovery
    5. Reformat /data to ext4 and check it for issues
    6. Reboot to recovery
    7. Wipe cache & dalvik
    8. Flash LineageOS 16.0
    9. Flash anything else you normally flash for Android e.g. GApps, Magisk, no dm_verity etc
    10. Flash Sailfish OS (the zip that contains rootfs.tar.bz2) from inside CI artifacts archive
    11. Reboot and enjoy!
    You can also flash my boot-switcher zip (or switch between hybris-boot and droid-boot images created on /sdcard) afterwards for simple dual-booting of the 2 operating systems!

Links & source
    sailfishos-oneplus5: All project repos & source
    important: Info and detailed guides about flashing, self-building etc
    android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998: The used kernel source
    sailfishos.org: General info about the OS as well as contributing, translation, app development etc

Changelog
    wiki.merproject.org: Place with general info about the port status, OTAs etc
    droid-config commits: Stuff modified on the Sailfish OS side

OTA updates
    See "OTA (Over-the-Air) update" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

Special thanks to
    kimmoli for gesture-daemon & triambience
    nathanchance for maintaining the OP5 linux-stable merged kernel tree
    Mister_Magister, mal, r0kk3rz, rinigus, PiggZ, spiiroin, jusa, vknecht, NotKit and everyone else at #sailfishos-porters
    The port was made possible thanks to you all!

FAQ
    What does "SFOS" mean?
    Sailfish OS; it's simply a common abbreviation.

Can I run [insert name here] Android app in Sailfish OS?
    If there is no currently maintained client or similar app in the Jolla Store or (my preference) OpenRepos, then probably not. I may look into bringing Android app support via Anbox or similar project much later on; no ETAs.

Does VoLTE or VoWiFi work in Sailfish OS?
    As of SFOS 3.4.0, these are still not implemented, but should be coming later in perhaps Sailfish OS 4.

How can I skip the SFOS beginner tutorial?
    Tap each corner of the screen once starting from top-left going clockwise.

I found a bug, what can I do?
    See "Report bugs" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.4.0.24] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5T, ROM for the OnePlus 5T

Contributors
    deathmist
    Source Code: https://github.com/sailfishos-oneplus5

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 9.0.11 (Pie)
    Based On: LineageOS 16.0

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

Created 2020-01-17
    Last Updated 2020-12-10
    Fingerprint sensor enablement for the project

Yep, it has happened; the fingerprint sensor is now fully functional and integrated into Sailfish OS thanks to community efforts!
    New users don't have to do anything special as I've updated the SFOS 3.3 zip you can download straight from the porters CI!
    Existing (SFOS 3.3) users however have to run the following in a terminal to get the same enablement:
    Code:
    devel-su
    # enter your SSH password from Settings > Developer tools
    zypper ref -f
    zypper dup
    # choose solution 1 to deinstall conflicting encsfa packages
    reboot
    After this you can just head to Settings > Device lock > Add fingerprint and follow the instructions to enroll new fingerprints :)
    Let's hope this all works out on the 5T as well because I can only test on the regular 5 myself :fingers-crossed:

NOTE: Keep in mind simply pressing on the sensor once when the screen is off will just wake up the device to the password prompt and you have to press your finger down AGAIN to actually identify with a saved fingerprint.
    Upgrade to Sailfish OS 3.3.0 (Rokua)

Hello everyone!

The port has now been upgraded to SFOS 3.3.0 and HAL components are now all based on Android 9 Pie! :cool:
    Check out the details of this release here!
    Upgrade to Sailfish OS 3.4.0 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

Hello everyone!

The port has now been upgraded to SFOS 3.4.0! :)
    Check out the details of this release here!