[ROM] [GPL] Team Villain Presents... FroydVillain 1.7.2 (Based on CM6.1 Final)

Search This thread

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Please read post 3 before reporting bugs/issues

FroydVillain 1.7.0

This bit's the introduction. If you're not interested in who we are, or how we got here, or are of the TL;DR mentality, then skip this entire section. :)

Well folks... It's currently snowy here in Scotland. Got an email to say not to try and commute in this morning, as everything was off, so I set about thinking about things to do :) I did some work, and then decided it was time to get something out based on CyanogenMod 6.1 (pretty much final) for the hero. Based on the last nightly, here we go...

I applied the usual tweaks to it, as this seems to be a pretty good ROM. And the best bit, no wipe required (though it's still a good idea if you can be bothered) if you are coming from FroydVillain 1.6.x. If you are coming from ANYTHING ELSE, it is required. Maybe some other ROM will work with it, but I have no idea, and don't really want to know :D So if you have trouble and didn't wipe, please wipe before asking for help. Let me say it again...

If you have problems with the ROM or apps or anything else for that matter, go do a wipe before asking for help. It's the first thing you'll be asked to do anyway, so save yourself the time and get a faster answer :)

This is based on CM6.1's nightly, which I think is meant to be the stable release for the Hero. It's certainly stable enough for my liking :)

As for what's new/fixed, look at the CM6.1 changelog.

Overscrolling works, apps that whined about the version string should work now, and there's a new call screen from CM that means you don't put people on hold with your ear, when on a call. Plus everything else from Cyanogenmod that got fixed or improved :)

Before I go onto the ROM, I would like to thank a fair load of people. First of all, all the Cyanogenmod developers. Without them, this ROM would not exist. Big props out to them for their excellent work. Next, the VillainROM developers, including Ninpo for his ARM optimisations in CM6.1, Kendon for his usual behind the scenes scripts and time in setting things up, DMzda for his dedication in helping me test this ROM in the latter stages, MikeBeecham for his artwork and designs used throughout the ROM, HomerSp for his help taking Mike's bootscreen to life, and everyone else who has been there helping... Particular thanks must go to Shen for helping me get this build out to you while I have been so busy recently. Also, big thanks as usual to Lenny, NPRussell, Mike, RaiderX, RichardTrip, Acolwill, Alankila and sorry if I forgot anyone. Their contributions have been too numerous to mention. But this ain't an Oscar speech, so I must stop now.

Finally big props go to Erasmux, whose FlyKernel 11c has been tweaked slightly for performance. Details of the tweaks below...

So here we go...

FroydVillain 1.7.0

about.png
in%20call.png
call%20options.png
dialing.png
sliding%20dialer.png
overscrolling.png

NOTES:

Nothing much, but let's proclaim the glory of CyanogenMod again :) Thanks guys.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Boot into recovery
2. Nandroid backup
3. Wipe of data, dalvik and cache (optional, but if you need help, you're gonna need to do this first before asking!)
4. Flash the ROM
5. Reboot. At setup screen, give it time to complete optimisation after boot... Should settle down in about 5 minutes, more if you didn't wipe EXT.

Your download link:

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3698-FroydVillain-1.7.0-Released!

e989a86d44bea67e0a56499cab009bdd FroydVillain1.7.0-signed.zip

A kitchen is available at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3698-FroydVillain-1.7.0-Released!

Addon Zips

Some optional things you might want to try installing:

Ubuntu Fonts (flashable zip) - Screenshot 1 - Screenshot 2 (thanks DMzda)

Finally...

Join us on irc for banter (chat.freenode.net : 6667 - #villainrom) for support!

We hope you enjoy the ROM!

Finally, kernel tweaks are exact same as last time, in 1.6.0, so see that thread for info.

Base kernel (cheers, Erasmux, and big props) https://github.com/erasmux/hero-2.6.29-flykernel/tree/flykernel-11c

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Optional FroydVillain Update to Re-Enable Trackball LED

Re-enables trackball LED for incoming calls and SMS messages. This is an optional zip for those who want this feature back. Future updates will not depend on this, it is not a required update.

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...-Update-Released&p=35279&viewfull=1#post35279

FroydVillain 1.7.2 Update

Fixes voice search and speech support. Flash over 1.7.1. You MUST install 1.7.1 first, or you won't get those fixes. This goes in ADDITION to 1.7.1

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...-Update-Released&p=35279&viewfull=1#post35279

FroydVillain 1.7.1 Update

Fixes twitter, HTC IME, a few other apps that are missing from market. Flash over 1.7.0. Then use manage applications to clear market data

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...-1.7.0-Released!&p=35118&viewfull=1#post35118

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Before Reporting Bugs/Errors/Problems/FCs/etc...

In order to help people sooner, and reduce the number of repeat reports, please observe the following before reporting a bug along the lines of "GPS is broken, HTC_IME mod FCs, it won't boot, it's slow, it's got poor battery, this breaks..."

1) Look in post 2 for any updates. Flash any with a version number, there's no need to flash optional ones unless you want to.

2) Search this thread for a keyword. eg. if gps isn't working, search thread for "GPS". If apps are missing from market, search "market". See if it is fixed, or already reported.

3) If there is no patch or fix, turn off the phone, remove your SD card, and boot the phone with no SD card. Does issue persist? If you need a memory card to test the bug, use a blank, freshly formatted spare, with just one partition.

4) If this cures the problem, you need to clear out your SD card. Back up your apps, and wipe apps2sd partition if you use it (Wipe EXT from recovery). See if problem is cured (with SD card inserted in phone). If it is, stop here, and enjoy the ROM.

5) If issue persists after removing SD, turn off phone, insert SD, boot to recovery, nandroid, wipe Data, cache, Dalvik cache. Reflash ROM and all patches. Turn off phone. Remove SD card. Boot.

6) If issue is solved, try with sd inserted now. Looks like you just needed a wipe. If not, please report the bug using the usual procedures. Mention you got to "step 6" with no resolution.

This will alleviate about 80% of bugs, I would estimate, allowing me to work on the remaining 20% not cured by this.

Last edited:

Calico5

Mar 8, 2010
wow... that was quick! Thank god for snow :D hehe..

You say no wipe is required if coming from FV1.6.x, so i wont need to back up call log, sms, app data, backup widget positions etc etc? Just put zip file on SD card and flash?

rustynuts34

Apr 21, 2010
That's what I did no wipe just flashed and all's good : )
wow... that was quick! Thank god for snow :D hehe..

You say no wipe is required if coming from FV1.6.x, so i wont need to back up call log, sms, app data, backup widget positions etc etc? Just put zip file on SD card and flash?

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

harlequix

Dec 4, 2010
Many thanks, I will give it a go as soon as possible. Can someone please report about performance, batterylife etc.? I really appreciate your work.

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Many thanks, I will give it a go as soon as possible. Can someone please report about performance, batterylife etc.? I really appreciate your work.

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

Performance no worse than 1.6.

No idea about battery, it's a bit soon yet for people to be able to tell. I see no reason it won't be good though

brelson

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for this! I'd been flirting with Floyo after being a FV diehard for a few months, but I've just flashed this ROM and it's looking good so far.

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Sorted it.

Download this file

http://db.tt/MUiuogS

And put in /system/etc/permissions

Chmod the file 644, and reboot and twitter will return

Will release as zip tomorrow if nobody else has done so by then

zeldabb

Mar 9, 2010
ROM runs fine, but Twitter and Tweetdeck 'gone'. Posted a bug report on VR.

Sorted it.

Download this file

http://db.tt/MUiuogS

And put in /system/etc/permissions

Chmod the file 644, and reboot and twitter will return

Will release as zip tomorrow if nobody else has done so by then

thank you, I've got the same issue here.
missing tweetdeck, twicca and twitter for android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please read post 3 before reporting bugs/issues

FroydVillain 1.7.0

This bit's the introduction. If you're not interested in who we are, or how we got here, or are of the TL;DR mentality, then skip this entire section. :)

Well folks... It's currently snowy here in Scotland. Got an email to say not to try and commute in this morning, as everything was off, so I set about thinking about things to do :) I did some work, and then decided it was time to get something out based on CyanogenMod 6.1 (pretty much final) for the hero. Based on the last nightly, here we go...

I applied the usual tweaks to it, as this seems to be a pretty good ROM. And the best bit, no wipe required (though it's still a good idea if you can be bothered) if you are coming from FroydVillain 1.6.x. If you are coming from ANYTHING ELSE, it is required. Maybe some other ROM will work with it, but I have no idea, and don't really want to know :D So if you have trouble and didn't wipe, please wipe before asking for help. Let me say it again...

If you have problems with the ROM or apps or anything else for that matter, go do a wipe before asking for help. It's the first thing you'll be asked to do anyway, so save yourself the time and get a faster answer :)

This is based on CM6.1's nightly, which I think is meant to be the stable release for the Hero. It's certainly stable enough for my liking :)

As for what's new/fixed, look at the CM6.1 changelog.

Overscrolling works, apps that whined about the version string should work now, and there's a new call screen from CM that means you don't put people on hold with your ear, when on a call. Plus everything else from Cyanogenmod that got fixed or improved :)

Before I go onto the ROM, I would like to thank a fair load of people. First of all, all the Cyanogenmod developers. Without them, this ROM would not exist. Big props out to them for their excellent work. Next, the VillainROM developers, including Ninpo for his ARM optimisations in CM6.1, Kendon for his usual behind the scenes scripts and time in setting things up, DMzda for his dedication in helping me test this ROM in the latter stages, MikeBeecham for his artwork and designs used throughout the ROM, HomerSp for his help taking Mike's bootscreen to life, and everyone else who has been there helping... Particular thanks must go to Shen for helping me get this build out to you while I have been so busy recently. Also, big thanks as usual to Lenny, NPRussell, Mike, RaiderX, RichardTrip, Acolwill, Alankila and sorry if I forgot anyone. Their contributions have been too numerous to mention. But this ain't an Oscar speech, so I must stop now.

Finally big props go to Erasmux, whose FlyKernel 11c has been tweaked slightly for performance. Details of the tweaks below...

So here we go...

FroydVillain 1.7.0

about.png
    in%20call.png
    call%20options.png
    dialing.png
    sliding%20dialer.png
    overscrolling.png

NOTES:

Nothing much, but let's proclaim the glory of CyanogenMod again :) Thanks guys.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Boot into recovery
    2. Nandroid backup
    3. Wipe of data, dalvik and cache (optional, but if you need help, you're gonna need to do this first before asking!)
    4. Flash the ROM
    5. Reboot. At setup screen, give it time to complete optimisation after boot... Should settle down in about 5 minutes, more if you didn't wipe EXT.

Your download link:

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3698-FroydVillain-1.7.0-Released!

e989a86d44bea67e0a56499cab009bdd FroydVillain1.7.0-signed.zip

A kitchen is available at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3698-FroydVillain-1.7.0-Released!

Addon Zips

Some optional things you might want to try installing:

Ubuntu Fonts (flashable zip) - Screenshot 1 - Screenshot 2 (thanks DMzda)

Finally...

Join us on irc for banter (chat.freenode.net : 6667 - #villainrom) for support!

We hope you enjoy the ROM!

Finally, kernel tweaks are exact same as last time, in 1.6.0, so see that thread for info.

Base kernel (cheers, Erasmux, and big props) https://github.com/erasmux/hero-2.6.29-flykernel/tree/flykernel-11c
    Optional FroydVillain Update to Re-Enable Trackball LED

Re-enables trackball LED for incoming calls and SMS messages. This is an optional zip for those who want this feature back. Future updates will not depend on this, it is not a required update.

FroydVillain 1.7.2 Update

Fixes voice search and speech support. Flash over 1.7.1. You MUST install 1.7.1 first, or you won't get those fixes. This goes in ADDITION to 1.7.1

FroydVillain 1.7.1 Update

Fixes twitter, HTC IME, a few other apps that are missing from market. Flash over 1.7.0. Then use manage applications to clear market data

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...-1.7.0-Released!&p=35118&viewfull=1#post35118
    Before Reporting Bugs/Errors/Problems/FCs/etc...

In order to help people sooner, and reduce the number of repeat reports, please observe the following before reporting a bug along the lines of "GPS is broken, HTC_IME mod FCs, it won't boot, it's slow, it's got poor battery, this breaks..."

1) Look in post 2 for any updates. Flash any with a version number, there's no need to flash optional ones unless you want to.

2) Search this thread for a keyword. eg. if gps isn't working, search thread for "GPS". If apps are missing from market, search "market". See if it is fixed, or already reported.

3) If there is no patch or fix, turn off the phone, remove your SD card, and boot the phone with no SD card. Does issue persist? If you need a memory card to test the bug, use a blank, freshly formatted spare, with just one partition.

4) If this cures the problem, you need to clear out your SD card. Back up your apps, and wipe apps2sd partition if you use it (Wipe EXT from recovery). See if problem is cured (with SD card inserted in phone). If it is, stop here, and enjoy the ROM.

5) If issue persists after removing SD, turn off phone, insert SD, boot to recovery, nandroid, wipe Data, cache, Dalvik cache. Reflash ROM and all patches. Turn off phone. Remove SD card. Boot.

6) If issue is solved, try with sd inserted now. Looks like you just needed a wipe. If not, please report the bug using the usual procedures. Mention you got to "step 6" with no resolution.

This will alleviate about 80% of bugs, I would estimate, allowing me to work on the remaining 20% not cured by this.
    2 Problems here :

1st my wifi doesnt work (1.7.0)

2 how do i update the easyst way to 1.7.2

1. Do 2 first then try again

2. Get zip for 1.7.1 and 1.7.2. Put on root of sd card and flash in that order , no reboot needed between the two.

Boot phone, will say 1.7.1 but don't panic
    alright...whats the adb command again? :D

btw...is it really only me with that problem? why that?

Grab the obviously named file from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...-Update-Released&p=35279&viewfull=1#post35279 :)