• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][grouper][7.1.2][LOS-based] unofficial **crDroid**v3.8.8 Nexus 7 2012 #(6/2018)

Search This thread

Army_Spec_Ops

May 2, 2010
Salem, OR
I know how frustrating this could be, especially on many Lineage OS based roms that I tried. Luckily, I don't frequently experience this effect on this rom.

However, from what you described, it seems like you enabled double tap on lock screen to shut off the screen? If so, try to disable this option from "Settings> crDroid Settings> Lock Screen> Double tap to sleep anywhere".

Otherwise, try adjusting the "Touch & hold delay" under "Settings> Accessibility".
It hasn't been enabled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using XDA-Developers Legacy app

andsk70

Dec 21, 2017
Hi AICPRocks! Your cdroid is running great! I cannot believe my old nexus is running smoothly again and with the latest versione of android!

Only video casting to firestick doesn't work, but this is a common problem of custom Roms (and of some stocks too) and I can live with it

Thank you!

Last edited:

bululu

May 25, 2013
You can speed the device up a little more if you enable GPU use for 2D in developer options.
But this is at cost of battery usage. I prefer speed. :D

greets, B

Last edited:

montamer

Sep 30, 2008
This is the fastest 7.1 rom.

@AICProcks! Thanks a lot for the rom and build instructions :). I usually prefer near AOSP based roms, but glad I have tried this. I have tested almost every rom and I can easily say this is the fastest and latest non-aosp rom. I was planning to use my old nexus 7 in my car and looking at lineageOS rom to enable a2dp sink support. Even though this rom is based on lineageOS it is much faster. For some reason system UI lags in the lineageOS rom.

I have generated a build with a2dp sink profile enabled and currently using it in my vehicle. Hopefully it will continue to perform as it is now. I see occasional crashes, but my tablet is usable as a navigation system in my car. Looking for updates and fixes ;).

Last edited:

greatcrippler

Jan 21, 2018
Stuck after reset

So, I installed the Rom. Working great. Factory Reset, went in, works great. Reset it again, and sent it out to a friend. Now it just goes back and forth between these 2 screens. Any thoughts?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

gmikhail

May 20, 2015
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
@montamer this is because the applications (Google, Google Launcher (?), Google TTS and many others) is not installed as a system app (/system/app/ & /system/priv-app/). One time I tried to do it, but unfortunately I did not succeed (maybe I did not install all apps or did it wrong). You can google it and try it yourself.

PS: nexus 7 has a small system partition, so you need to remove all unnecessary (or increase the system partition, but this is difficult and can lead to negative consequences). I just booted into TWRP, mounted system partition and through the built-in file manager deleted unnecessary application and files.

montamer

Sep 30, 2008
@montamer this is because the applications (Google, Google Launcher (?), Google TTS and many others) is not installed as a system app (/system/app/ & /system/priv-app/). One time I tried to do it, but unfortunately I did not succeed (maybe I did not install all apps or did it wrong). You can google it and try it yourself.

PS: nexus 7 has a small system partition, so you need to remove all unnecessary (or increase the system partition, but this is difficult and can lead to negative consequences). I just booted into TWRP, mounted system partition and through the built-in file manager deleted unnecessary application and files.

@gmikhail thanks for the tip. I have installed opengapps-nano package through magisk gapps module and google assistant is working fine now :)

Reactions: gmikhail

AICProcks!

Jun 5, 2017
Hi,
is it possible to compile the source code for tilapia? I have this device.

When yes, can someone assist me to compile it?

Do you use the 3g on your Tilapia? If not, you can always flash the Grouper TWRP on your Tilapia from https://dl.twrp.me/grouper/. You will be able to use all Grouper roms on your Tilapia then.

I could technically create crDroid for Tilapia, but for some reason, I can't seem to find the appropriate Kernel for Tilapia. There is a Github for Lineage OS Tilapia.

Did you try the unofficial Lineage OS for Tilapia by Charles IV? If so, did 3g work for your Tilapia?

danja95

Dec 21, 2017
Do you use the 3g on your Tilapia? If not, you can always flash the Grouper TWRP on your Tilapia from https://dl.twrp.me/grouper/. You will be able to use all Grouper roms on your Tilapia then.

I could technically create crDroid for Tilapia, but for some reason, I can't seem to find the appropriate Kernel for Tilapia. There is a Github for Lineage OS Tilapia.

Did you try the unofficial Lineage OS for Tilapia by Charles IV? If so, did 3g work for your Tilapia?

3G does on both not work. only on nAOSProm-7.1.1-tilapia-b05

tech927

Dec 5, 2012
Tilapia nexus 7

Is this rom compatible with the Nexus 7 2012 Tilapia version? Firstly, I have no intention of using the 3G on this tablet and would love it if everytime I booted I didn't get the message no sim card present. Secondly, I have got twrp 3.0.2-0-tilapia.img installed and working on the tablet. I know Grouper is the Wifi only version of this tablet, but is the rom compatible?
Thanks.
Dave.

AICProcks!

Jun 5, 2017
Is this rom compatible with the Nexus 7 2012 Tilapia version? Firstly, I have no intention of using the 3G on this tablet and would love it if everytime I booted I didn't get the message no sim card present. Secondly, I have got twrp 3.0.2-0-tilapia.img installed and working on the tablet. I know Grouper is the Wifi only version of this tablet, but is the rom compatible?
Thanks.
Dave.

You can always flash the Grouper TWRP on your Tilapia from https://dl.twrp.me/grouper/. You will be able to use all Grouper roms on your Tilapia then. They just won't have 3g, and will be the WiFi version.

taniwhatuu

Oct 1, 2005
Sound manager

Hi there,
I have my nexus paired to my car stereo via bluetooth. While playing music through google play music, I noticed what sounded like compression on the audio. Also the volume was alot quieter than other devices whist paired.

So i decided to look further and found that the audio was being managed by the EQ settings in the app. I set the EQ to off and there was no change in volume.
I then opened the stock music player and opened settings, which opened the same EQ manager and set that to FLAT then 'BOOOM' it was screamiing loud!

I tried this on other devices and found the same thing happened. It looks to me that the sound EQ DSP manager app sets the EQ for that app only and not globally.
When globally accessing the EQ/DSP app, the EQ will change but it seems like compression occures and lowers the output volume.

I don't think this issue is specifically to do with crDroid.

AICProcks!

Jun 5, 2017
Hi there,
I have my nexus paired to my car stereo via bluetooth. While playing music through google play music, I noticed what sounded like compression on the audio. Also the volume was alot quieter than other devices whist paired.

So i decided to look further and found that the audio was being managed by the EQ settings in the app. I set the EQ to off and there was no change in volume.
I then opened the stock music player and opened settings, which opened the same EQ manager and set that to FLAT then 'BOOOM' it was screamiing loud!

I tried this on other devices and found the same thing happened. It looks to me that the sound EQ DSP manager app sets the EQ for that app only and not globally.
When globally accessing the EQ/DSP app, the EQ will change but it seems like compression occures and lowers the output volume.

I don't think this issue is specifically to do with crDroid.

I have crDroid on my phone as well, and I do notice that the Bluetooth sound in car is lower quality. However, I also had this occur with other roms. For what its worth, I find AIMP player from the Play Store to work the best.

Try AIMP player, and if you experience any issues, then sign up for and try the AIMP beta player.

If AIMP player doesn't match your needs, try VLC. In my experience, I had more issues with VLC on Android, but it works as well.

Reactions: JT1510365

JT1510365

Jan 7, 2014
White Lake
HTC Thunderbolt
So, I installed the Rom. Working great. Factory Reset, went in, works great. Reset it again, and sent it out to a friend. Now it just goes back and forth between these 2 screens. Any thoughts?

Flash this fix in recovery posted here and it will fix your setup wizard having this issue the issue is open gapps does not use the right setup wizard for this ROM so in the fix is the setup wizard from beansgapps mini 7.x which works with any device or ROM having this issue its not a device issue but rather a gapps or ROM issue

Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sl3mLc9davcYZ6roVsBDPA1gdzpPxD_6/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Just use multirom mod I have both KitKat and nougat running on this tab slimkat as primary crdroid as secondary no issues with doing it this way:)

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

@greatcrippler read first post. Paragraph "Possible Bugs".

Nope he needs to flash this fix posted here:

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sl3mLc9davcYZ6roVsBDPA1gdzpPxD_6/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Any one got google assistant working on this rom? I have installed the google search app but "Say "Ok Google" any time" is greyed out.

Yep works fine for me I used opengapps nano and the flashed the setup wizard fix:

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sl3mLc9davcYZ6roVsBDPA1gdzpPxD_6/view?usp=drivesdk

JT1510365

Jan 7, 2014
White Lake
HTC Thunderbolt
hey aicp rocks can you please fix the bug where it shows two menu buttons i added a menu button myself with smartbar but it still shows the second one too please see screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PkKMOLh7joakV-oa1JDxljIJiI3ggYUQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Im also having another bug that only happens with your rom i cant attach any pictures to xda when quoting you or replying it says error file not found even though the file is still there and it opens in gallery just fine this is wierd and i granted storage its permission

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

I have crDroid on my phone as well, and I do notice that the Bluetooth sound in car is lower quality. However, I also had this occur with other roms. For what its worth, I find AIMP player from the Play Store to work the best.

Try AIMP player, and if you experience any issues, then sign up for and try the AIMP beta player.

If AIMP player doesn't match your needs, try VLC. In my experience, I had more issues with VLC on Android, but it works as well.

vlc working great over here on this rom no issues here but you might want to tune the settings inside vlc for best performance:) Just a tip:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    crDroid for Nexus 7 (2012) [grouper]

http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FBE3pE0l.png

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today. crDroid is based on LineageOS so use custom kernels compatible with it!

Features
    LineageOS - all mods and features
    StatusBar: Network Traffic
    StatusBar: SU icon toggle
    StatusBar: Ticker
    StatusBar: Hide/Show icons
    StatusBar: BatteryBar customization
    StatusBar: Battery styles
    StatusBar: Tap to Sleep
    StatusBar: Clock styles
    StatusBar: crDroid logo customization
    QuickSettings: Tiles customization
    QuickSettings: Brightness slider toggle
    QuickSettings: Optional brightness icon
    QuickSettings: Vibrate on Touch
    QuickSettings: WiFi easy toggle
    QuickSettings: Bluetooth easy toggle
    QuickSettings: Data easy toggle
    Navigation: Toggle navbar
    Navigation: PIE navigation
    Navigation: DUI - SmartBar / Fling Toggle
    Navigation: Pulse - smart visualization
    Notifications: Power notification controls
    Notifications: Force expanded notifications
    Notifications: Toggle immersive mode messages
    LockScreen: Screen shortcuts
    LockScreen: Toggle longpress for screen shortcuts
    LockScreen: Swipe shortcuts
    LockScreen: Toggle media cover art
    LockScreen: Toggle clock
    LockScreen: Toggle date
    LockScreen: Toggle alarm
    LockScreen: Tap to sleep
    LockScreen: Toggle longpress torch
    LockScreen: Customize number of notifications
    LockScreen: Toggle power menu for secure lockscreen
    Recents: Immersive Recents
    Recents: Hidden apps
    Recents: Toggle OmniSwitch or SlimRecents as default Recents
    Sound: Toggle screenshot sound
    Sound: Live customization for number of volume steps
    Sound: Less frequent notification sounds
    Miscellaneous: Clock Widget
    Miscellaneous: Toggle suggestions on Settings dashboard
    Miscellaneous: Toggle summaries in Settings
    Miscellaneous: Toggle auto-start music player on headset detection
    Settings/Display: Expanded Desktop customization
    Settings/Sound: Increasing Ringtone
    12 New Quick Settings Tiles including Caffeine mode, Expanded Desktop and Sync.
    Settings/Security: Quick PIN/Password Unlock
    Default sounds from latest Nexus image.
    OMS support.
    Stability and performance improvements.​

Always have a full functional Backup just in case!

Download Link to Rom
    Build 2018-06-18 (7.1.2_r8) - AndroidFileHost - June 2018 Google Security Updates
    Build 2018-04-20 (7.1.2_r7) - AndroidFileHost - April 2018 Google Security Updates
    Build 2018-04-06 (7.1.2_r6) - AndroidFileHost - March 2018 Google Security Updates
    Build 2018-01-19 (7.1.2_r4) - MEGA - Google Drive - AndroidFileHost - January 2018 Google Security Updates
    Build 2017-12-12 (7.1.2_r3) - MEGA - Google Drive - AndroidFileHost - December 2017 Google Security Updates
    Build 2017-12-10 (7.1.2_r2) - MEGA - Google Drive - AndroidFileHost
    Build 2017-11-26 (7.1.2_r1) - MEGA - Google Drive - AndroidFileHost - November 2017 Google Security Updates

Download Link to Rom with DT2W
    Build 2018-06-18 (7.1.2_r8_DT2W) - AndroidFileHost - June 2018 Google Security Updates & ("Experimental" DT2W)
    Build 2018-04-20 (7.1.2_r7_DT2W) - AndroidFileHost - April 2018 Google Security Updates & ("Experimental" DT2W)
    Build 2018-04-05 (7.1.2_r6_DT2W) - AndroidFileHost - March 2018 Google Security Updates & ("Experimental" DT2W)
    Build 2018-03-11 (7.1.2_r5_DT2W) - AndroidFileHost - February 2018 Google Security Updates & ("Experimental" DT2W - see post for details)

Download Link to Open Gapps
    opengapps (choose ARM>7.1>Pico)

Download Link to Open Gapps System Size Fix
    gapps-config-grouper.txt - MEGA - Google Drive - AndroidFileHost

Download Link to Initial Setup Wizard Fix
    If the initial Setup Wizard crashes, use JT1510365's Setup Wizard Fix - Google Drive.
    @JT1510365 wrote about this issue in Post #58.
    If you continue experiencing issues even after applying this fix, refer to the Possible Bugs paragraph below for walkarounds.

First time installation of crDroid to your Nexus 7 (2012), or new ROM instructions:
    - Make sure you're running a proper working Recovery (TWRP or CWM)
    - Boot into Recovery by holding Down Vol- button and Power button
    - Wipe System, Data and Cache partitions (Wiping Internal Storage is recommended, but you will lose any files, bookmarks, etc.!)
    - If you want (recommended), you can format ONLY Data and Cache partitions to F2FS. System partition must be EXT4! (Once again, you will lose your data!) (If you use EXT4, you can run fstrim to maintain ROM.)
    - Copy crDroid ZIP and openGApps ZIP and gapps-config-grouper.txt to your external SDCard or Internal Storage
    - Flash crDroid ZIP
    - Flash openGApps ZIP
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET
    - Reboot
    - Wait around ~ 10 minutes ~ for first boot

Upgrading from earlier version of crDroid:
    - Copy crDroid ZIP to your external SDCard or Internal Storage
    - Boot into Recovery by holding Down Vol- button and Power button
    - Wipe System and Cache partitions
    - Flash crDroid ZIP
    - Flash openGApps ZIP
    - Reboot
    - Wait around ~ 10 minutes ~ for first boot

Possible Bugs:
    - Initial Setup screen might crash with "Setup Wizard has stopped" depending on Open Gapps or Lineage OS version. DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET step should help. Otherwise, you can skip the initial Setup screen by tapping on 4 edge points on screen starting from upper left corner clockwise. You can also "fix" this by enabling WiFi from notification bar as seen in this YouTube video.
    - crDroid 7.1.2 is mostly stable, but depending on different builds and configurations, you may experience System UI crashes. A simple Reboot usually helps in this case. Rooting Grouper with SuperSU and uninstalling some unnecessary System Apps to make System partition have more space may also help.

Credits:
    - Google
    - LineageOS
    - SlimRoms
    - AOSPA (Paranoid Android)
    - OmniRom
    - NamelessROM
    - @firebird11
    - @Cristiano Matos
    - @davidteri91
    - @hokiealumnus - This thread format & content.
    - @neobuddy89 - crDroid Developer & Maintainer.
    - @wilmsn - Build instructions & Github.
    - @aaopt - Build instructions & Github.
    - @AndDiSa - AOSP 7.1 & Device tree & Kernel.
    - @GtrCraft - CM13 tree that Aaopt used.
    - Many others... (if you're feeling upset being out of the Credits list just send a PM)

crDroid DONATE

crDroid G+ community

https://github.com/crdroidandroid

XDA:DevDB Information
    crdroid, ROM for Nexus 7 (2012)

Contributors
    firebird11, cristiano matos, davidteri91
    Source Code: https://github.com/crdroidandroid

ROM OS Version: 7.1.2 Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: LOS

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM] [grouper] [7.1.2] [LOS-based] **crDroid**v3.8.8 for Nexus 7 2012

Contributors
    AICProcks!, wilmsn, aaopt
    Source Code: https://github.com/crdroidandroid

ROM OS Version: 7.1.2 Nougat
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-11-26
    Last Updated 2018-06-18
    June 2018 Google Security Updates

The latest build is up with the June 2018 Google Security Updates.
    A new build is up - Build 2017-12-12 (7.1.2_r3) - with the December Google Security Updates.

P.S. On a side note, TWRP 3.2.1-0 for Grouper was also recently updated this month in case anyone is wondering.
    April 2018 Google Security Updates

A new build is up with the April 2018 Google Security Updates!

Note: If you have battery problems with the DT2W version and don't need it, try the normal version. Both versions are up! :good:
    January 2018 Google Security Updates

The newest crDroid build - Build 2018-01-19 (7.1.2_r4) - is up with the latest January 2018 Google Security Updates. The link is available on the first post.