[ROM][H830|H850|RS988] UNOFFICIAL LineageOS-16.0 for G5

Search This thread

golan101

Apr 26, 2015
Could it be that your GMS reception is not very good and that for that reason the telephone radio drains your battery ? In that case you would noticeably experience less use of power when located at a place of good reception.

I thought it could be it but no, the drain is happening even with good reception (I rarely have bad reception)

Skynet30

Jul 27, 2014
You can't from an Oreo bootstack. It needs to be nougat, also from stock you need to wipe data first. No need for the to-x86cpu.zip.

Do you mean Stock Nougat or LOS Nougat? Would you mind elaborating on the correct migration procedure to LOS 16 for someone coming from stock Oreo who is already rooted with TWRP installed?

EDIT: I have a stock Nougat 7.0 TWRP flashable zip for boot and bootloader. Would it be sufficient to flash these before flashing your LOS16 ROM?

Last edited:
Reactions: fernseher

leriaz17

Jan 8, 2015
Just to follow up on this post, I played around with more Gcam builds and I think I found a good one with working view finder for night sight. I haven't played around with it much but the few shots I took look great to my eye. The slow motion behaves like fu24's build that I described in the post I quoted. Everything else seems to be working fine.

For anyone that wants to try, download this Gcam build: https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/gcamera/GCam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.5.190418.1850.apk

And download the config file I made and posted here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79582691&postcount=2316

Instructions on how to install config file: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/settings09/

I basically downloaded the G6 config file, since the one for our phone causes the app to crash, and made some changes to make it work best on the G5 (ie changing the base config/model and enabling the buffer fix etc.). I made it so that 'Long Press' is the way to switch between the normal and wide lenses. You can set it to cycle instead in the settings.

Sorry for getting OT but just thought I'd share. Plus if you want a fully functional camera app, you'll need a different one than stock atm, and this might be the best for our device.
If anyone feels that this should be posted somewhere else, feel free to delete or move it.

edit: Not sure which build I like best between Arnova's advanced, BSG's original v2e or fu24's build. Arnova and BSG's builds seem to have similar white balance, but Arnova's exposure seems off sometimes... seems to overexpose. fu24's white balance seems a bit different than the other two, sometimes it looks better, sometimes it looks ever so slightly green. Arnova's build is the clear winner for night sight... not only does the viewfinder work, but the images look far better. It seems to be the only build that properly processes night shots and the results are impressive.
That's some good stuff. However the front camera has a weird green tint to it. Like the whites are completely green. Any fix for that, or is it just on my end?

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011
That's some good stuff. However the front camera has a weird green tint to it. Like the whites are completely green. Any fix for that, or is it just on my end?
I think any further discussion of Gcam should continue in the Cstark LG Gcam thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/ap...google-camera-mod-wide-angle-t3747263/page233
Anyone who has Gcam related questions please post them there. I feel like I'm derailing the thread.

But to answer your question, you're right... I didn't even test the selfie cam. This seems to be an issue with all of the newer v6.x builds of Gcam. Unfortunately in the Arnova advanced build, this issue is unfixable AFAIK. In the other builds I posted (v2a, v2e, v2e fu24) if you disable HDR the selfie cam colors are normal. So unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an issue-free Gcam build for the G5 (and seemingly most LG phones). If the selfie cam is important, I would use one of the v2e builds (BSG's original or fu24's modified version). If night sight is important, use the arnova build I guess.

Last edited:

uagent

Feb 6, 2011
Flash to 15.1 with gapps first, do initial setup, reboot to recovery and flash to 16 with gapps. A few of us had to do this to get camera to work. I eventually got it to work before after a second flash but could not get this build to work without flashing to 15.1 first.

So I had that working, then I encrypted my phone using the encryption option under security, now I, too, get a request for permissions, then a force close.

I've noticed in my logcat for cstark's Google camera returns:
"Camera Manager reconnect failed, or there are no cameras on this device."
"Process:
com.google.android.GoogleCameraWide
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Cameras are currently available."

The built-in AOSP camera is throwing a bunch of errors that the camcorder profiles do not exist.

Finally, "Camera Holder" / org.lineageos.snap errors out with:
"open camera 0"
"fail to connect to Camera: -1, aborting"

If you're having trouble on Lineage OS 16 with the RS988, try dirty flashing v20190514.
I dirty flashed 20190514, magisk 19.2 then gapps 0528, then cache/dalvik wipe.

That seems to have corrected the issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

Skynet30

Jul 27, 2014
Sorry to be a pest, but I have read the entirety of this thread and the thread for LOS 15.1 but I'm still stumped: Apparently it is not advisable to flash LOS coming directly from 8.0 Stock Oreo. So how exactly does one migrate properly from the LG H850 (G5) stock 8.0 Oreo to Lineage OS 16?

Am I supposed to:
1. flash Lineage OS 14.1 Nougat incl. GAPPS -> reboot
2. then flash LOS 15.1 incl. GAPPS -> reboot
3. lastly flash LOS 16 incl. GAPPS -> reboot
?

Or does one have to downgrade somehow to Stock Nougat first and then flash LOS 16 directly? To my knowledge, it isn't possible to downgrade the stock rom...?
Sorry for being daft, I just want to avoid bricking my device by doing something stupid. It runs okay on Stock Oreo, but support is finished and the Stock Rom is quite bloated unfortunately, that's why I want to go to LOS (I don't use the features that are buggy anyway).

Reactions: fernseher

gerciolisz

Feb 22, 2013
Gdańsk
Sorry to be a pest, but I have read the entirety of this thread and the thread for LOS 15.1 but I'm still stumped: Apparently it is not advisable to flash LOS coming directly from 8.0 Stock Oreo. So how exactly does one migrate properly from the LG H850 (G5) stock 8.0 Oreo to Lineage OS 16?

Am I supposed to:
?

Or does one have to downgrade somehow to Stock Nougat first and then flash LOS 16 directly? To my knowledge, it isn't possible to downgrade the stock rom...?
Sorry for being daft, I just want to avoid bricking my device by doing something stupid. It runs okay on Stock Oreo, but support is finished and the Stock Rom is quite bloated unfortunately, that's why I want to go to LOS (I don't use the features that are buggy anyway).
Hmm i am still confused like you, but already i am on this Rom coming from Oreo... Nothing od wrong other than issues we all know...
I was first on 15.1 first but its was straight from Oreo and unlocked bootloader via LG sent code.

Anyone can describe me what i have done wrong if everything is working and IT should not?XD

Reactions: Skynet30

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011

Am I supposed to:
?

I think when you're coming from a completely different rom (ie stock to lineage), it's advisable to do a clean install. I personally wipe dalvik, cache, data and system before going to a new rom.

You shouldn't need to flash to 14.1. I went from stock -> LOS15.1 -> 16.0 without any issues. Flashing straight from stock to 16.0 seems to work for some, but flashing to 15.1 then dirty flashing to 16 seems to work every time.

What I did was:
1. Advanced wipe -> tick dalvik, system, data, cache and swipe to clear
2. Flash 15.1, Magisk, Opengapps (8.1 nano), clear dalvik, reboot and do initial setup.
3. Flash 16, Magisk, Opengapps (9.0 nano), clear dalvik and reboot.

Flashing Magisk twice probably isn't necessary. I flash it with 15.1 so that I can install simple reboot so I can boot to recovery after setup. Then I flash it again with 16 just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skynet30

Skynet30

Jul 27, 2014
Hmm i am still confused like you, but already i am on this Rom coming from Oreo... Nothing od wrong other than issues we all know...
I was first on 15.1 first but its was straight from Oreo and unlocked bootloader via LG sent code.

Anyone can describe me what i have done wrong if everything is working and IT should not?XD

I think when you're coming from a completely different rom (ie stock to lineage), it's advisable to do a clean install. I personally wipe dalvik, cache, data and system before going to a new rom.

You shouldn't need to flash to 14.1. I went from stock -> LOS15.1 -> 16.0 without any issues. Flashing straight from stock to 16.0 seems to work for some, but flashing to 15.1 then dirty flashing to 16 seems to work every time.

What I did was:
2. Flash 15.1, Magisk, Opengapps (8.1 nano), clear dalvik, reboot and do initial setup.

Thanks for the feedback guys. What has me stumped is that the developer of this ROM (x86cpu) said this a couple of pages back:

"You can't from an Oreo bootstack. It needs to be nougat, also from stock you need to wipe data first. No need for the to-x86cpu.zip."

He was answering to someone who flashed this ROM coming directly from Stock Oreo and had problems. So x86cpu says that you need a Nougat bootstack in order to correctly go to LOS 16. Additionally, you need to wipe data (that's not the issue, I understand that step). What I don't understand is how to get a Nougat bootstack, because you cannot downgrade Stock Oreo back down to Nougat as far as I am aware (it will brick the phone).
It would really be great if @x86cpu could shed some light on this issue.

Reactions: gerciolisz

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011
Didn't see that post. Yeah maybe wait for his response, or someone else who was on stock oreo and could shed some light. I came from stock nougat as oreo isn't even out for my variant (RS988).

FWIW, I also had no camera and flashlight when I went from stock nougat to LOS16, and I tried at least 3 times. I *think* I managed to get it to work once with the first LOS16 build, after a second attempt but now I'm not totally sure I'm remembering correctly.

Last edited:

pspablo

Dec 9, 2016
At the beginning, thank you to all who contributed to the creation of this ROM, including testers who record and report errors. Personally, I am of the opinion that it is a good soft. However, I would like to report and reproduce the following errors which I revealed in my H850. They are: 1 / does not work automatic adjustment of the brightness of the screen 2 / notification signals can not be mute to make them quieter 3 / sometimes the ringtones are played with a delay ie less playable 4 / you can not set the clock widget with weather despite the weather provider installed 5 / w the camera application lacks 4k settings for movies and pre-flash on the camera. The camera application was installed only after upgrading from LineageOS from 15 to 16.

Skynet30

Jul 27, 2014
What I did was:

I did that today because I have several complete backups (incl. EFS and MISC backups) for stock 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 and I figured if something goes wrong I can claw my way back to a working phone. Worst case I'm out about € 100,- as that is the used value for a G5 where I live.
Anyway, it seems to work just fine - although I have used the phone only a little bit. But calls, wifi, GPS and mobile data works. Camera works too.

FWIW out of curiosity I checked my backups of BOOT, MISC and EFS partitions that I made over the years and these change after every Stock ROM upgrade.
I.e. a 6.0 BOOT, MISC and EFS partition is different from a Nougat stock rom and that's different from a Oreo stock Rom. In case anyone needs or wants to restore their phone in between major android versions, I'd recommend to stay with the respective partitions from that version.

I'm just saying this to show that a phone that goes from stock Nougat to LOS 16 will be different from a phone that goes from Stock Oreo to LOS 16.

Sdobron

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys. What has me stumped is that the developer of this ROM (x86cpu) said this a couple of pages back:

"You can't from an Oreo bootstack. It needs to be nougat, also from stock you need to wipe data first. No need for the to-x86cpu.zip."

He was answering to someone who flashed this ROM coming directly from Stock Oreo and had problems. So x86cpu says that you need a Nougat bootstack in order to correctly go to LOS 16. Additionally, you need to wipe data (that's not the issue, I understand that step). What I don't understand is how to get a Nougat bootstack, because you cannot downgrade Stock Oreo back down to Nougat as far as I am aware (it will brick the phone).

It would really be great if @x86cpu could shed some light on this issue.
You can downgrade stock oreo to nougat. Look in the rooting threads.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

ikibob

Jun 2, 2019
So I flashed the 15.1 .zip from the g5 folder in the google drive downloads. When it boots up, it says "To start android, enter your password". I have tried getting out of this but I cant. I know you have to format data. But I can't get to TWRP because you have to get to recovery mode. But when I try to get to recovery mode, I turn on the phone, holding down the power + volume, the LG logo appears (I've tried letting go when it appears and then pressing again, keeping it pressed, etc.), switches to a screen saying that bootloader is unlocked, it will then continue to boot switching back to the LG screen, interrupting my request for recovery mode I believe, and boots back to the enter password screen. I've tried doing stuff with adb but because USB debugging is disabled, I can't. Any and all help is appreciated.

EDIT: Tried guessing the password 1234. It said to reset to use. I reset. Brought me to the password screen again. Typed 1234. Says 6 more attempts before wipe. So if it's unrecoverable, I can wipe it I believe.
EDIT 2: After failing the password a bunch, it just goes into the negatives.
EDIT 3: Figured out the recovery mode. When powering on, hold volume down + power. Once LG logo appears, quickly release and then press power again while still holding volume down. This asks to fac reset phone, choosing yes took me to TWRP. I was then able to format data and boot to lineage without needing a password. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

WARNING: BETA BUILD. There may be numerous issues still.

Disclaimer

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Introduction

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device. More info.

These are my UNOFFICIAL builds of LineageOS-16.0 for LG G5 variants. I did NOT create this ROM. I am helping to contribute to this ROM. Thanks to all other coders who contributed to LineageOS.

IMPORTANT
    • BACKUP! These are UNTESTED builds. Please be ready to recover your previous ROM. If it kernel panic, boots into bootloader, etc... grab as much info as you can.
    • Builds are done periodically (see download below)
    • Do NOT be rude.
    • Respect all users.
    • Any and all users, please help each other. I have a rs988 variant, so other variants might have some issues.

For broken issues see 2nd post

Issues:

Install
    • You can upgrade from 15.1 (UNOFFICIAL) to 16.0. If you are not on my UNOFFICIAL yet, flash the to-x86cpu.zip first (and reboot recover before upgrade, not reboot into system).
    • Flash to-x86cpu.zip if needed. (See Downloads below)
    • Flash UNOFFICIAL ROM
    • Wipe cache, and dalvik cache
    • Magisk if you choose
    • Flash GAPPS (I use nano)
    • Reboot and wait....

(Copied from OFFICIAL thread)
    To enable Developer Options go to Settings, About Phone and repeatedly press Build Number.
    If you use ADB read this: PSA by CM
    If you use reboot to recovery read this: PSA by CM
    Regarding new Superuser: PSA by CM

Bugs
    If you encounter issues/bugs that are not known, please report. This is not the OFFICIAL ROM, but I can help to get any issues fixed. I use the rs988 variant. If I can replicate your issue then I can track it down. If I cannot, please provide as much detail as possible. Logcats are great.
    Please indicate what G5 variant you have (h830, h850, rs988) and the dated version. Any mods (no judgment) as well.
    I am aware people run mods or change things. I am not against it (as I do myself). However, if needed I may ask you to data wipe (you can say no), or remove a mod that might be interfering. I will do the best I can.

Thanks
    • Any and all users in this thread who contributed or will contribute to making this ROM as stable as possible
    • LineageOS Team
    • @Rashed97 for continuing help

Downloads
    ROM: UNOFFICIAL downloads (Note date)
    Gapps: arm64 nano 9.0

Sources
    Issues

What is working:
    • WiFi
    • Camera
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • 2.4 Ghz Hotspot
    • USB OTG

What is NOT working:
    • VoLTE and WiFi calling do not (and most likely never will).
    • 5.0 Ghz Hotspot (still)
    • IR
    • Encrpytion is untested, so it may fail.

Anything else NOT listed above might or might not work. I will adjust as necessary and reports. If anyone has any knowledge and can troubleshoot and fix the NOT working items, let me know.
    lineage-16.0-20191205-X86CPU

lineage-16.0-20191205-X86CPU

December security update.

I am unable to test these anymore due to the age and complexity of building 15.1/16.0 and now 17.0.

Separate note. I still have my v20/g5/g6 to test and develop on, but it is no longer my daily driver. A while ago I purchased an Asus Zenfone 6 to use. The 16.0 will also most likely be security updates only, while I focus on stabilizing 17.0 for the V20. Once things seem stable I will start a 17.0 G5 thread.
    lineage-16.0-20190702-X86CPU

lineage-16.0-20190702-X86CPU

• Updated to latest July security.
    • GPS updated blobs.
    • Bluetooth fix for all devices (the same as the rs988/h850)
    • Hoping clean flash works.
    lineage-16.0-2019111[12]-X86CPU

lineage-16.0-2019111[12]-X86CPU

• November security update.
    The h830/h850 is listed as 2019112 due to builds crossing a day boundary.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone