[ROM][H830|H850|RS988] UNOFFICIAL LineageOS-17.1 for G5

Search This thread

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
yUIn6TF.png

Disclaimer

Your warranty is now void.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Introduction

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device. More info.

These are my UNOFFICIAL builds of LineageOS-17.1 for LG G5 variants. I did NOT create this ROM. I am helping to contribute to this ROM. Thanks to all other coders who contributed to LineageOS.

IMPORTANT
  • BACKUP! These are UNTESTED builds. Please be ready to recover your previous ROM. If it kernel panic, boots into bootloader, etc... grab as much info as you can.
  • Builds are done periodically (see download below)
  • Do NOT be rude.
  • Respect all users.
  • Any and all users, please help each other. I have a rs988 variant, so other variants might have some issues.
  • This now runs System-As-Root. Ie.. / and /system are merged, so /system is really /, and /system is /system/system.

For broken issues see 2nd post

Issues:

Install
  • You can upgrade from 15.1 (UNOFFICIAL) to 16.0 to 17.1. If you are not on my UNOFFICIAL yet, flash the to-x86cpu.zip first (and reboot recovery before upgrade, not reboot into system).
  • Flash to-x86cpu.zip if needed. (See Downloads below)
  • Flash UNOFFICIAL ROM
  • Wipe cache, and dalvik cache
  • Magisk if you choose
  • Flash GAPPS (I use nano)
  • Reboot and wait....

Bugs
If you encounter issues/bugs that are not known, please report. This is not the OFFICIAL ROM, but I can help to get any issues fixed. I use the rs988 variant. If I can replicate your issue then I can track it down. If I cannot, please provide as much detail as possible. Logcats are great. (See post #3)
Please indicate what G5 variant you have (h830, h850, rs988) and the dated version. Any mods (no judgment) as well.
I am aware people run mods or change things. I am not against it (as I do myself). However, if needed I may ask you to data wipe (you can say no), or remove a mod that might be interfering. I will do the best I can.

Thanks
  • Any and all users in this thread who contributed or will contribute to making this ROM as stable as possible
  • LineageOS Team
  • @Rashed97 for continuing
  • @Blaises[/MENTION] for Bluetooth and WiFi static hax if all 00s.
  • @npjohnson for help along the way.

Downloads
ROM: UNOFFICIAL downloads (Note date)
Gapps: arm64 nano 10.0

Sources

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
What is working:
  • WiFi
  • Camera
  • GPS
  • NFC
  • 2.4 Ghz Hotspot
  • USB OTG

What is NOT working:
  • VoLTE and WiFi calling do not (and most likely never will).
  • 5.0 Ghz Hotspot
  • Encrpytion is untested, so it may fail.

Anything else NOT listed above might or might not work. I will adjust as necessary and reports. If anyone has any knowledge and can troubleshoot and fix the NOT working items, let me know.

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Here is how I capture logs. You need to ensure you can do this right at boot and will need to setup ahead of time.

You need to have root, either su, or "adb root". Verify you can get root quickly.

Here are the steps I do to accomplish this. This is a Linux system, so windows will vary slightly.

1. Reboot the phone while plugged into the computer.
  2. At a shell, keep attempting to get root/shell:
  3. Code:
    adb root ; adb shell
  4. Once connected, immediately paste the following (to capture logs).
  5. Code:
    cd /cache
    nohup dmesg -w > dm &
    nohup logcat -b all > lc &

If you have root installed via Magisk as "su":

3. Code:
     adb shell
  5. Code:
    su
    cd /cache
    nohup dmesg -w > dm &

Once Phone reboots, or boots up. The needed files are in /cache "lc" and "dm", and are available in TWRP even.

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Reactions: bicho2015 and ROMSG

ROMSG

Aug 6, 2018

Ismrocks1234

Oct 21, 2019
i tries gapps and nikgapps and bit gapps no one is letting me go after final touch screen. even i skip setup wizard still setup wizard crashing errer popups continusly. i now removed setup wizard from twrp and started the rom...

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

it has same bugs as romsg 17.1.

google camera processing hdr stucks at 100%
after reboot lockscreen takes 1 minute to accept password.
battery life is a bit bad
till now i saw these issues.

rest is perfect
thank u sir for this rom..

Roboxl

Oct 16, 2016
just perfect

just did a dirty flash, coming from 16.0. -->
wiped davlik and cache before, and then... everyhting went perfectly fine :)
all settings and apps still alive and functional.
quick check... wifi, bluethooth working fine, camera as well.
I'm very happy, thank you! :victory: :highfive:

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011
Tried doing a clean flash and I can't seem to get past the setup screen. When I get to the last screen where it asks to set up a few more things, when I tap finished for now, I get a FC and I can't finish the setup.

Using RS988 with opengapps 10 nano 1.24.2020 and magisk 20.3.

Steps used:
Wipe data, cache/dalvik and system
Flash LOS17
Flash Gapps
Flash Magisk
Reboot

I'll try gapps 1.23.2020 and report back.

fscout42

Jan 28, 2015
This is a buggy setup wizard. Try to delete the setup wizard via twrp and it should boot up normally.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I have no NFC. Can only turn it on via Quick settings. No menu in network settings. Turning it on in quick settings has no effect. Prior to this ROM I had Romsg's version installed. But with the same behavior. Does anybody know a solution?

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011
Tried doing a clean flash and I can't seem to get past the setup screen. When I get to the last screen where it asks to set up a few more things, when I tap finished for now, I get a FC and I can't finish the setup.

Using RS988 with opengapps 10 nano 1.24.2020 and magisk 20.3.

Steps used:
Wipe data, cache/dalvik and system
Flash LOS17
Flash Gapps
Flash Magisk
Reboot

I'll try gapps 1.23.2020 and report back.

This is a buggy setup wizard. Try to delete the setup wizard via twrp and it should boot up normally.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I have no NFC. Can only turn it on via Quick settings. No menu in network settings. Turning it on in quick settings has no effect. Prior to this ROM I had Romsg's version installed. But with the same behavior. Does anybody know a solution?
I ended up just flashing LOS16 and dirty flashing to 17.1.

Everything seems to be working except NFC and the camera seems really buggy, even after reboot. Can't save to external sd card, and recorded video can't be played. Also as mentioned above, gcam doesn't work either. Using arnovas advanced 1.7 that worked great on los16.

Last edited:

Kloosek

Aug 14, 2008
Borne Sulinowo
just did a dirty flash, coming from 16.0. -->

wiped davlik and cache before, and then... everyhting went perfectly fine :)

all settings and apps still alive and functional.

quick check... wifi, bluethooth working fine, camera as well.

I'm very happy, thank you! :victory: :highfive:
BT calls works? Or only music?

Wysłane z mojego LG-H850 przy użyciu Tapatalka

SrZambie

Apr 22, 2016
Trying out the new build on my H830 and it's good so far. I've dirty flashed from 16.0 using NikGapps core and Magisk 20.3.

I want to note some bugs along with some workarounds:
1. Camera is buggy on first boot (restarting seems to fix this)
2. Recorded videos fail to play (keep pressing play and will play eventually though audio isn't working, videos from previous versions play fine, it's possible that other camera apps don't have this)
3. Gcam not working (use urnyx05's gcam v2.1, works fine on both 9 & 10)
4. Interactive governor is maxing the CPU (gave a decent boost in battery in 16.0)
5. Powersave governor can freeze the camera when in video mode/recording (use default governor)
6. Lockscreen pin is slow on boot (just wait a little it will unlock)
7. Brightness slider still needs adjusting (Turn off autobrightness and use values between 70-90% for decent indoor screen brightness)
8. Google Play downloads can be slow regardless of GApps package and when on wifi/mobile data (Been happening to me since 15.1 and only happens to some, just pause and resume a few seconds later is the workaround I do)
9. Audio files can take a while to load when switching between audio sources like wired & wireless headphones (no workaround will began playing in a bit)

Ismrocks1234

Oct 21, 2019
inhave a solution delete lineagesetupprebuilt from twrp and setup will succed lineage setup is causing problem....

delete system/priv-apps/lineagesetupprebuilt...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to decrypt with Lineage OS 17.1 official 20210314 and last twrp 3.5.1 and fail.

Anyone can explain me because with official 17.1 NFC doesn't work while with the unofficial version yes?
    I haven't tried unofficial, but at start of thread x86cpu write NFC is working.
    yUIn6TF.png

Disclaimer

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Introduction

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device. More info.

These are my UNOFFICIAL builds of LineageOS-17.1 for LG G5 variants. I did NOT create this ROM. I am helping to contribute to this ROM. Thanks to all other coders who contributed to LineageOS.

IMPORTANT
    • BACKUP! These are UNTESTED builds. Please be ready to recover your previous ROM. If it kernel panic, boots into bootloader, etc... grab as much info as you can.
    • Builds are done periodically (see download below)
    • Do NOT be rude.
    • Respect all users.
    • Any and all users, please help each other. I have a rs988 variant, so other variants might have some issues.
    • This now runs System-As-Root. Ie.. / and /system are merged, so /system is really /, and /system is /system/system.

For broken issues see 2nd post

Issues:

Install
    • You can upgrade from 15.1 (UNOFFICIAL) to 16.0 to 17.1. If you are not on my UNOFFICIAL yet, flash the to-x86cpu.zip first (and reboot recovery before upgrade, not reboot into system).
    • Flash to-x86cpu.zip if needed. (See Downloads below)
    • Flash UNOFFICIAL ROM
    • Wipe cache, and dalvik cache
    • Magisk if you choose
    • Flash GAPPS (I use nano)
    • Reboot and wait....

Bugs
    If you encounter issues/bugs that are not known, please report. This is not the OFFICIAL ROM, but I can help to get any issues fixed. I use the rs988 variant. If I can replicate your issue then I can track it down. If I cannot, please provide as much detail as possible. Logcats are great. (See post #3)
    Please indicate what G5 variant you have (h830, h850, rs988) and the dated version. Any mods (no judgment) as well.
    I am aware people run mods or change things. I am not against it (as I do myself). However, if needed I may ask you to data wipe (you can say no), or remove a mod that might be interfering. I will do the best I can.

Thanks
    • Any and all users in this thread who contributed or will contribute to making this ROM as stable as possible
    • LineageOS Team
    • @Rashed97 for continuing
    • @Blaises[/MENTION] for Bluetooth and WiFi static hax if all 00s.
    • @npjohnson for help along the way.

Downloads
    ROM: UNOFFICIAL downloads (Note date)
    Gapps: arm64 nano 10.0

Sources
    Note: If you're only having problems with the camera/flash (esp. after flashing an 17.1 Official OTA update), then reboot you're phone and test again. If it's still not working after a couple of reboots then without the charging cable plugged in, shut down the phone and then power on the phone. If after trying this a few times it still doesn't work, you'll need to read the following notes. I recommend you read the entire post before proceeding to ensure you begin at the correct point.

These instructions are for those who are having issues with the camera/ flash, torch, sensors (esp. proximity sensor - use androsensor to test these), bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, auto rotate, GPS and possibly others not working after flashing 16.0 or 17.1 unofficial/ official. Anyone coming from stock or wishing to upgrade to 17.1 official from 15.1, 16.0, or 17.1 unofficial should also follow these instructions to avoid these bugs. If you're experiencing issues with the proximity sensor, first ensure the area above the screen is clean before testing. Also remember that applying screen protectors/ tempered glass may interfere with it's operation too.

Also note these instructions apply to Resurrection Remix flashes too. If you've flashed them before, you shouldn't have to flash the LOS equivalent again.
    LOS 15.1 = RR 6 (Android 8)
    LOS 16.0 = RR 7 (Android 9)
    For example: if you flashed RR 6 and then RR 7 without bugs you can safely clean flash LOS 17.1 Official from second line below.

If you're coming from fulmics and experience boot loops after flashing an LOS rom you may have to flash an Android 7 stock bootloader to resolve.

Ensure you have flashed the latest twrp version before proceeding (3.4.0-1 at time of writing).

If appropriate, backup any important data first using twrp. If you haven't previously, create an individual backup of the EFS and Misc partitions with twrp before flashing anything, as some have previously had corruption of these partitions when flashing LOS roms, and they are troublesome to recover. When creating a twrp backup of the data partition, if you're going to encrypt your backup, ensure you have removed all device protections like pin, fingerprint, pattern etc. These are mutually exclusive, it's one or the other but not both. If you don't, your pin will not work upon restoring your backup and you will have to reset your phone with all your data lost.

Although Google's backup and restore is usually sufficient, if you wish to backup/ restore individual apps, data, permissions and settings, you can use an app like migrate. I recommend only backing up/ restoring apps (apks) as restoring anything else across different android revisions may generate bugs.

NOTE: Ensure when you migrate from stock to LOS it is from Android 7 (not 6 or 8) to ensure you have the correct baseband/ modem installed.

For those coming from stock or have previously skipped flashing LOS 15.1 and or 16.0 (with or without bugs) at some point after coming from stock should follow the instructions from here. Everyone else skip to the line.

First clean flash 15.1:
    Wipe: Delvik/ ART cache, System, Data, Cache
    Then install/ flash 15.1
    At this point, there's no need to flash gapps or magisk manager. These are optionally flashed after 17.1 - we'll revisit this later.
    Reboot to system, skip setup and test everything mentioned in paragraph 2. (If there are bugs at this stage, you will more than likely have to flash back to stock, test again and if everything works reflash 15.1 again. When flashing stock, ensure you flash the correct build for your model otherwise you may hard brick your device)

If there's no bugs, then dirty flash 16.0:
    Wipe Delvik/ ART cache, System, cache
    Flash to_x86cpu.zip and then reboot to recovery.
    Then flash/ install 16.0.
    Reboot to system, skip setup and test everything again, if all is still working; skip the next paragraph and clean flash 17.1 official as described.

Anyone who has completed the steps above previously (at any point after flashing from stock) and is on:
    17.1 unofficial or official (esp. after dirty flashing) with 1 or more of the bugs in paragraph 2
    Or
    17.1 unofficial without bugs and wishes to upgrade to 17.1 official,

will all need to clean flash 17.1 official by following these instructions.

Wipe system & data.
    Install/ flash latest, nightly official 17.1.
    Wipe cache/ delvik again (the option should be there at bottom after it has flashed)
    Install/ flash latest stable magisk (optional but recommended for root)
    Install/ flash gapps (optional but recommend arm64, 10, nano - or Pico for those wishing to use Google family link),
    Reboot to system, complete setup, and test everything again.
    If you flashed magisk and its not in your app drawer, Install the latest magisk manager apk.

After completing this, if the camera/ flash doesn't work on boot or at any point; reboot the phone and test again, if necessary repeat this a few times. If it still doesn't work, without the charger plugged in, shut down and then power on the phone, if necessary try this a few times too. This advice also applies when the camera doesn't work after an OTA update as mentioned previously. Sometimes this process will resolve some of the other issues indicated in paragraph 2 too.

Note (Setup):

Device Protection (Pin, pattern, fingerprint etc)
    When prompted to setup a pin, skip this and create one via settings after boot, as the phone may lock up. If you try to create one and the phone freezes, upon rebooting there may still be no pin prompt. When trying to create one after this, you may be asked for a pin but the pin you entered during setup will not be accepted.

To correct this bug, install and open the app find my device, login with your account, select secure device, then enter your preferred numerical pin. After this, you can enter settings to add a fingerprint etc. You can also use this method to setup a pin without using setup or via settings.

Voice Match (Google Assistant)
    As there are bugs, Voice Match (Google Assistant) is disabled at the moment. If you come to Voice Match (Google Assistant) during setup (all Gapps flashes except Pico), you won't be able to continue. At this point you will have to go back to the WiFi screen, disconnect WiFi etc and skip the connection/ adding Google account which you've added on the first pass. Eventually you'll come to a lineage os screen with the option to help lineage, continue from there. Sometimes you may have to go back and forth several times before it appears.
    Edit: in the latest versions of Gapps you may be able to complete setup of voice match but it will still be disabled.

Battery Calibration.
    After setting up you may want to use a battery calibration app to reset your battery stats. You can also use this app if your battery is reaching around 20% battery and switching off. If it still doesn't work after calibrating your battery, it's usually time for a new battery.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.roggstar.batterycalibrator

This allegedly repairs your battery.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batterypro.batteryrepairlife2020

Replacement batteries
    UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TF4GMF3/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_nDl5Eb4E54R64
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BVWFXVX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_QEl5EbX5R0795

USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYM9MPJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_s9cHFb9BY3WDP

A highly reliable app for testing the actual capacity of your battery - Accubattery.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery

Play Store Certification / Safetynet
    To pass safetynet in Magisk Manager and device certification in play store.

1. Ensure you have Magisk 20.4 flashed and magisk manager installed on your device.

2. Within magisk, under downloads, search for and install the "Busybox for Android NDK" magisk module by osm0sis.

Click the back arrow instead of reboot then:

3. Download and manually install the safety patch v3 module from within magisk.
    https://mega.nz/file/wwgVSRZC#rlI3D27s3xIKj13pQNBbwPvgV_l3UkRe2vgCRDyBCwA

Reboot

4. Install and use a root enabled file explorer app i.e. mix explorer, root explorer, es file explorer to open the following file:
    data/adb/module/safety patcher/post-fs-data.sh

delete line 11
    mount -o bind /data/local/tmp/cmdline /proc/cmdline

Save it, then reboot.

Open Magisk manager and click on safetynet check to see if it passes. If safetynet check fails, try enabling Magisk hide in Magisk manager settings, you may have to reboot, before testing again.

Also check the play store app to see if the device is certified (settings, last line). If not you may have to force close the play store, clear it's data/ cache and reopen it before it will become certified.

Debloating
    it isn't possible to uninstall a system app in android 10, however you can try the following.
    1. Freeze the app with the app link2sd, this will disable/ hide it.
    2. Use a root explorer app like mixplorer, navigate to system/priv-app and delete the folder of the app you wish to uninstall, reboot.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691&p=23109280
    3. Another option is to use the Magisk modules: App systemizer or app debloater.
    Never used them, they may just disable/ hide them rather then uninstalling them.

Android Encryption
    Do not use android encryption, there is no TWRP encryption support for LOS 17.1. Although you can enable and successfully encrypt this rom, upon entering TWRP you will be asked for a password to access the data partition, but none will work. Therefore, you won't be able to create backups; or apply OTA updates either as they're stored on the data partition. To resolve this, you'll have to wipe the data partition (aka. factory reset the phone), therefore losing all your data. Upgrading an encrypted 16.0 to 17.1 will also not work.
    Note: You can enable encryption if you use the LOS recovery, but there's no backup facility. You can also flash OTA updates.
    https://twrp.me/faq/encryptionsupport.html

Not working (and probably never will)
    WiFi calling, VOLTE, Radio, 5ghz Hotspot, project treble, usb-c to HDMI and anything else that has been missing from all the previous LOS versions will most likely never be fixed due to kernel/ LG proprietary code issues etc. Therefore there's little reason to ask about them or their progress in this thread.

Downloads

TWRP Download
    https://twrp.me/Devices/LG/

If you download any of the following files, copy them to your internal memory or SD card and flash via TWRP.

Unofficial 15.1, 16.0 ROM.zip/ to-x86cpu.zip
    https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B51rjK5Hd_P5NmpwY1o4VmlyaUk

Official 17.1 Rom (Nightly)/ change log, previous builds (select model no.)
    https://download.lineageos.org/
    After first nightly flash, use LOS updater thereafter.

Opengapps
    Always flash these, before booting, after flashing Lineage OS as per the instructions in the installation section of this article:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

ARM64, 10.0, Nano (recommended)
    https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm64&api=10.0&variant=nano

ARM64, 10.0, Pico (Recommended for Google Family Link)
    https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm64&api=10.0&variant=pico

Magisk (.zip)/ Magisk Manager (APK) - Root manager.
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

H850 Europe Stock Inc. Flashable bootloader, baseband/ modem.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg...0-20v-eu-rom-flashable-zips-kdz-t3788620/amp/

H830 USA Stock Inc. Flashable bootloader, baseband/ modem.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/tm...ock-h830-20a-rom-flashable-zips-imgs-t3511294

RS988 USA Stock Inc. Flashable bootloader, baseband/ modem.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/development/stock-21c-roms-flashable-zips-imgs-t3679907
    Other

LOS Server Status
    https://status.lineageos.org/
    What is working:
    • WiFi
    • Camera
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • 2.4 Ghz Hotspot
    • USB OTG

What is NOT working:
    • VoLTE and WiFi calling do not (and most likely never will).
    • 5.0 Ghz Hotspot
    • Encrpytion is untested, so it may fail.

Anything else NOT listed above might or might not work. I will adjust as necessary and reports. If anyone has any knowledge and can troubleshoot and fix the NOT working items, let me know.
    Here is how I capture logs. You need to ensure you can do this right at boot and will need to setup ahead of time.

You need to have root, either su, or "adb root". Verify you can get root quickly.

Here are the steps I do to accomplish this. This is a Linux system, so windows will vary slightly.

3. Code:
      adb root ; adb shell
    5. Code:
      cd /cache
      nohup dmesg -w > dm &

If you have root installed via Magisk as "su":

3. Code:
       adb shell
    5. Code:
      su
      cd /cache
      nohup dmesg -w > dm &

Once Phone reboots, or boots up. The needed files are in /cache "lc" and "dm", and are available in TWRP even.
    I just went to take a picture and opened GCam. The wide angle lens was selected, so I switched the lens, and before I could see the view of the normal lens, the camera crashed. I'm not sure if the camera was open in the recent apps before, but after opening the camera and the crash it was like 10 seconds maybe. I waited until I could open the camera again and used that adb command to get a logcat. I attached it to this post. Now that I know how it works, I can try to provide more logcats of crashes if needed.
    So that confirmed my assumptions. While I'm still unable to reproduce the crash by switching cameras, the same crash happens if you simply leave the camera open for some time. I was able to fix that on my V20, was a regression from late October. Will be fixed in the next builds.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone