• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][H910|H918|LS997|US996|VS995] UNOFFICIAL LineageOS-14.1 for LG V20

Search This thread

mking007cn

Dec 9, 2016
Nice to see 15.1 is released, thank you brother.
BTW, i see two build for us996, us996 and us996-ds, what the difference for this two builds?

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Nice to see 15.1 is released, thank you brother.
BTW, i see two build for us996, us996 and us996-ds, what the difference for this two builds?

ds was for the us996 dirty Santa ones... ie. not unlocked bootloader. US Cellular, etc... if you have unlocked your bootloader officially from LG, use the us996... the only difference is the lack of static on boot for the dirty Santa ones.

spawningvat

Nov 25, 2009
Quick question for everyone. I crossed posted this in the official Lineage 14.1 thread as I'm running that version, but someone here might have some insight.

I'm having trouble with the proximity sensor. When I make a call, I put the phone to my ear and the display turns off (correct). When I take it away to push keys on a keypad for a touchtone system, the display doesn't turn back on. The only way that it turns on is if the caller hangs up, or if I press the power once and then double tap screen to wake. Kinda annoying. I found only a mention of it on the other thread about clearing data on proximityhandler.apk. I found proxyhandler.apk and cleared data. Didn't change anything. This has occurred on multiple released from the beginning of 2018.

Previously I had desolation rom, and proximity worked correctly. I had stock rom and it worked correctly. This is on an H910a phone with a clean install of Lineage 14.1 nightly from 3/29/18. I also tried disabling tap to wake, disabling ambient display settings, enabling everything. Still can't get it working. Any ideas or direction you can point me?

Thank you!!!!!

Sean

cityneversleepz

Feb 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.sunqifitness.com
Quick question for everyone. I crossed posted this in the official Lineage 14.1 thread as I'm running that version, but someone here might have some insight.

I'm having trouble with the proximity sensor. When I make a call, I put the phone to my ear and the display turns off (correct). When I take it away to push keys on a keypad for a touchtone system, the display doesn't turn back on. The only way that it turns on is if the caller hangs up, or if I press the power once and then double tap screen to wake. Kinda annoying. I found only a mention of it on the other thread about clearing data on proximityhandler.apk. I found proxyhandler.apk and cleared data. Didn't change anything. This has occurred on multiple released from the beginning of 2018.

Previously I had desolation rom, and proximity worked correctly. I had stock rom and it worked correctly. This is on an H910a phone with a clean install of Lineage 14.1 nightly from 3/29/18. I also tried disabling tap to wake, disabling ambient display settings, enabling everything. Still can't get it working. Any ideas or direction you can point me?

Thank you!!!!!

Sean
For me, I discovered a hairline crack right over the proximity sensor. Don't know how it got there but that was the problem. had to replace the digitizer. I just did the entire front unit which was easier. Learned a lesson too not to but off eBay. Had to do it twice. Got a reliable parts company and that fixed it for me.

emdroidle

Oct 6, 2015
I know this may have been asked a lot of times can I know the updates of H990DS ? Will there be 14.1 or 15.1 version thanks :)

I was trying to get 14.1 and most things were functioning, except the modem. No modem means no cellular data connectivity, no phone calls. Pretty much without that it isn't really a phone.

The issue was a problematic `rild`. According to Rashed the radio layer on LGE devices tends to be bad, really bad. We tried a few things, but no luck. Everyone involved is moving to 15.1 and Rashed thinks it will be much easier to solve on 15.1 so I'm now aiming towards having things working on 15.1 instead of trying for 14.1 (I dislike conceding, but this seems a far better investment of time).

One piece of good news is it wasn't too difficult to switch between LineageOS 14.1 and stock. Some notes:

Before installing save copies of: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recoverybak, /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot and the files in /system/lib/modules. (the first two, run `dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=boot.bin` then do `adb pull /boot.bin .`)

I was hoping to have a single combined .zip for all variants, but I'm now partially giving up on that. If a zip targeting a H990DS works on a H990 a combined .zip may work, but this needs testing first. The hope was `fix-h990-modem` could be run after the kernel had started, but my experiments pointed towards this failing. Instead `fix-h990-modem` needs to be run on the boot image during installation, or the kernel command-line needs to be prepared beforehand.

Going back to stock is a little interesting. Do `dd if=boot.bin of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot` to restore the old boot image (you saved a copy above RIGHT?). Then mount /system read-write and copy back the old /system/lib/modules.

`kdzwriter -a` will happily reinstall a stock KDZ and save the old modules.

LGE's implementation of forceencryption is interesting. As a result doing a factory reset involves booting into stock recovery and having stock format /data to its liking. The easiest approach to this is to boot to the bootloader and run `fastboot boot recoverybak recoverybak.bin` (the DirtySanta bootloader won't boot unsigned images from fastboot, but the old recovery image is signed).

NOTE: On first boot soon after the kernel has started something causes the touch screen to freeze. I do not know what causes this. What has been shown to fix this is to boot into TWRP and then reboot to Android. This behavior is very scary, but rebooting does fix it.

Please don't try these things yet. Things are not working yet!

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
I know it's coming, @emdroidle the anticipation from us H990/DS owners is immense. I'm about done with stock. I want the LOS experience, I want what Oreo offers. Any updates are welcome, as we've not been sharing much about progress for a long time.

skeeterflea

Jul 30, 2010
I used the update manager from within Lineage OS last night and downloaded the latest nightly ( lineage-14.1-20180419-nightly-h918-signed.zip), selected reboot device, and now can't get Lineage to boot. Each time I boot I get dropped to recovery (TWRP). I've tried wiping and installing MEGA, WETA, and backups but I still can't get the OS to boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how I can get past this? I was running the previous Lineage nightly ( lineage-14.1-20180410-nightly-h918-signed.zip) prior to the update.

cityneversleepz

Feb 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.sunqifitness.com
I used the update manager from within Lineage OS last night and downloaded the latest nightly ( lineage-14.1-20180419-nightly-h918-signed.zip), selected reboot device, and now can't get Lineage to boot. Each time I boot I get dropped to recovery (TWRP). I've tried wiping and installing MEGA, WETA, and backups but I still can't get the OS to boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how I can get past this? I was running the previous Lineage nightly ( lineage-14.1-20180410-nightly-h918-signed.zip) prior to the update.
How are you booting recovery? Did you try booting recovery via the button combo? Try that and wipe as usual. If that doesn't work try it again and format the system.

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Google Pixel 6 Pro

You took an OTA with a TWRP that does not support it. You'll need to do this in TWRP to get out of the boot-loop:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc bs=256 count=1 conv=notrunc
The last part is important, the count=1 conv=notrunc If you fail that you'll wipe your WiFi/BT Mac address and need to follow this guide to get it back: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=70474540&postcount=12

Also, update to the latest unofficial TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3720239 This unofficial TWRP can properly handle the OTAs.

Reactions: skeeterflea

skeeterflea

Jul 30, 2010
You took an OTA with a TWRP that does not support it. You'll need to do this in TWRP to get out of the boot-loop:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc bs=256 count=1 conv=notrunc
The last part is important, the count=1 conv=notrunc If you fail that you'll wipe your WiFi/BT Mac address and need to follow this guide to get it back: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=70474540&postcount=12

Also, update to the latest unofficial TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3720239 This unofficial TWRP can properly handle the OTAs.

Perfect. Thank you so much for that! Unfortunately I read this post after restoring the factory image and re-rooting. I'm in the process of putting Lineage back now. But I'll flash the newer unofficial TWRP for the OTAs! Thanks a million for the response!

Reactions: x86cpu

danalog

Jul 6, 2012
USB/OTG not functioning in lineageOS 14.1

Hello:

I have a rooted LG V20 currently running LOS 14.1. The stock OS recognized my PS4 controller via OTG cable fine, but the bloatware and inability to control applications running made the phone lag when gaming, so I root and rom it to have more control and delete bloat. Sadly, after all that work to get back to gaming, I find I've loss OTG recognition... Has anyone else had this issue? Is it the kernel, or LOS 14.1?

Aug 10, 2015
would this be more stable that lineage 15.1?? I like what lineage offers but 15.1 was a bit buggy, even though that was the non SS version. I figure the nougat flavor of lineage may work better with v20, or do i need to check out the SS version of 15.1 instead?

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
would this be more stable that lineage 15.1?? I like what lineage offers but 15.1 was a bit buggy, even though that was the non SS version. I figure the nougat flavor of lineage may work better with v20, or do i need to check out the SS version of 15.1 instead?

No. There are things broke in 14.1 like OTG. Some things don't work in 15.1 like IR (depending). However 14.1 won't get any more security updates. It is best to go to at least 15.1. if you come from official 14.1 to my unofficial 15.1, you can do it without data wipe. Head to the 15.1 thread and ensure you flash the to-x86cpu.zip the first time before installing 15.1.

Top Liked Posts