• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] HDX Nexus [Safestrap Version] v1.0.1

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THINGS GO WRONG. ***

Introduction
I am very proud to bring you HDX Nexus Safestrap ROM. This is for both the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and 8.9" WIFI only variants and brings full AOSP functionality which are using Safestrap. You must be running stock firmware .3.2.4 - 3.2.8

Features
- Full Jelly Bean 4.2.2 AOSP functionality

Bug Reports
- Please use the Bugs section on this thread, it will make it a lot easier to to keep track.

Fresh Installation
- Flash safestrap-thor-nexus-rom.zip or safestrap-apollo-nexus-rom.zip
- Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
- Then flash any addons
- If coming from any other ROM then do a factory reset.
- Reboot and enjoy.

Upgrading From Previous Version
- Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache
- Then flash any addons
- Reboot and enjoy.

Changelog
- x -> v1.0.1
Code:
- Initial Release.
- Branched from mainline HDX Nexus ROM v2.0.5

Downloads

Add-Ons

FAQ
TBD

Source Code
- Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.3.2.4

Finally
- Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support and to everyone that made a Donation.

XDA:DevDB Information
HDX Nexus Safestrap, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
ggow
ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: .3.2.4 - 3.2.8
Based On: AOSP JDQ39

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0.1
Stable Release Date: 2015-02-07

Created 2015-02-07
Last Updated 2016-02-10

johim

Jun 30, 2012
Ggow much appreciated that safetrap version is coming back!

Just to clarify that this rom will work with devices that got upgraded to 4.5.2 and then downgraded by ACS to 3.2.7/8 and rooted with safetrap working.

Here are some questions that I'm sure people will be curious about:
- I'm currently on 2.0.2 and root checker says root is enabled, but couldn't find the supersu app. How does it work? Do i need to flash supersu?
- Can you install xposed with modules on this version? For example to mod notifications bar, status bar, power menu, etc.
- can I safely upgrade from the older 2.0.2 to this version?
- what about addons like the dolby digital? I assume its safe to flash too?
- current build.prop ids the device as Nexus HDX and tgere are a lot of apps on play store that are not compatible with the device, but they work just fine installed from another market (say 1mobile). Can we do something about it?

Sorry for so many questions, but i tried reading most stuff from the other thread but for some reason search in thread is disabled (no idea why).

Cheerz!

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Ggow much appreciated that safetrap version is coming back!

Just to clarify that this rom will work with devices that got upgraded to 4.5.2 and then downgraded by ACS to 3.2.7/8 and rooted with safetrap working.

Correct, yes.

Here are some questions that I'm sure people will be curious about:
- I'm currently on 2.0.2 and root checker says root is enabled, but couldn't find the supersu app. How does it work? Do i need to flash supersu?

The ROM is pre-rooted with the su binary and a daemon. SuperSU is a root manager so its up to you if want that functionality.

- Can you install xposed with modules on this version? For example to mod notifications bar, status bar, power menu, etc.

Yes you can.

- can I safely upgrade from the older 2.0.2 to this version?

Yes

- what about addons like the dolby digital? I assume its safe to flash too?

Yes

- current build.prop ids the device as Nexus HDX and tgere are a lot of apps on play store that are not compatible with the device, but they work just fine installed from another market (say 1mobile). Can we do something about it?

No matter how I modify the build.prop, google play store ends up not playing nice. So no not at the moment. Market helper used to work for this problem but seems to but patched now on googles servers.

Sorry for so many questions, but i tried reading most stuff from the other thread but for some reason search in thread is disabled (no idea why).

Cheerz!

See my responses above. I'll add some information to the FAQ when possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

johim

Jun 30, 2012
OK, I updated and flashed all gapps and addons. Everything works!

Then I tried installing Xposed Framework, and on reboot the result was black screen after rom bootup (right after android animation). Waited like 2-3 minutes, but nothing. Then had to force reboot it via power button. After reboot everything works again with Xposed installed. No idea what happened. Any guidelines on where I can check logs probably.

havent tried any module yet, but it would be nice if we keep a list of compatible and safe modules.

Question: can any of the xposed modules trip eFuse or break stock kernel (as rom is running on top of it) or safetrap makes it safe so any changes to system would be just to the slot rom?

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
OK, I updated and flashed all gapps and addons. Everything works!

Then I tried installing Xposed Framework, and on reboot the result was black screen after rom bootup (right after android animation). Waited like 2-3 minutes, but nothing. Then had to force reboot it via power button. After reboot everything works again with Xposed installed. No idea what happened. Any guidelines on where I can check logs probably.

havent tried any module yet, but it would be nice if we keep a list of compatible and safe modules.

Question: can any of the xposed modules trip eFuse or break stock kernel (as rom is running on top of it) or safetrap makes it safe so any changes to system would be just to the slot rom?

Use this verison of Xposed found here.

Try Gravitybox (JB).

I don't know if any of the modules can trigger the efuse. You are correct, in theory Safestrap makes it so that any changes should only occur in that slot.

faulix

Feb 19, 2015
I have the problem, that there is no Play Store and I can't install downloaded applications. I downloaded applications through the browser and when I try to execute them I get the error "can't open file". So I can literally install no app. I tried to install ES File Explorer and gapps pico.

Anyone else who had this problem or knows how to solve it or has some ideas?

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I have the problem, that there is no Play Store and I can't install downloaded applications. I downloaded applications through the browser and when I try to execute them I get the error "can't open file". So I can literally install no app. I tried to install ES File Explorer and gapps pico.

Anyone else who had this problem or knows how to solve it or has some ideas?

Did you flash gapps?

camerajunkie

Feb 21, 2015

Hi GGow, I'm a complete noob to the scene, have searched around the forums. Finally got Safestrap 3.75 and SuperSU working on my Amazon Kindle Fire HDX that was downgraded to 13.3.2.8 by ACS from 4.5.2. Utilized the TowelRoot method to get rooted.

I want to make sure the installation procedure for this ROM, since I've never done one. Currently I utilized SafeStrap 3.75 and backed up my stock 13.3.2.8 ROM on the device.

The process to install this ROM would be -
1. Flash safestrap-thor-nexus-rom.zip or safestrap-apollo-nexus-rom.zip
2. Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
3. Then flash any addons
4. If coming from any other ROM then do a factory reset.
5. Reboot and enjoy.

My only issue is that do I flash all of these roms like the safestrap-thor-nexus-rom.zip onto seperate slots? Or keep re-flashing the same slot? I apologize for my noobness, but I'm really new to Android Dev and rooting.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire

Hi GGow, I'm a complete noob to the scene, have searched around the forums. Finally got Safestrap 3.75 and SuperSU working on my Amazon Kindle Fire HDX that was downgraded to 13.3.2.8 by ACS from 4.5.2. Utilized the TowelRoot method to get rooted.

I want to make sure the installation procedure for this ROM, since I've never done one. Currently I utilized SafeStrap 3.75 and backed up my stock 13.3.2.8 ROM on the device.

The process to install this ROM would be -
1. Flash safestrap-thor-nexus-rom.zip or safestrap-apollo-nexus-rom.zip
2. Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
3. Then flash any addons
4. If coming from any other ROM then do a factory reset.
5. Reboot and enjoy.

My only issue is that do I flash all of these roms like the safestrap-thor-nexus-rom.zip onto seperate slots? Or keep re-flashing the same slot? I apologize for my noobness, but I'm really new to Android Dev and rooting.

To add to what @gqukyo said:

1. If you intend for HDX Nexus ROM to be your main ROM and because you are on 13.3.2.8 I would make sure you take a backup of your current stock ROM.
2. Restore the backup to slot 1 . Ensure slot 1 then boots correctly
3. You can then switch back to your stock slot and follow the instructions above.
4. Otherwise if you want stock to be your main ROM then just follow the instructions as they are above after creating a new ROM slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: camerajunkie

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
To add to what @gqukyo said:

1. If you intend for HDX Nexus ROM to be your main ROM and because you are on 13.3.2.8 I would make sure you take a backup of your current stock ROM.
2. Restore the backup to slot 1 . Ensure slot 1 then boots correctly
3. You can then switch back to your stock slot and follow the instructions above.
4. Otherwise if you want stock to be your main ROM then just follow the instructions as they are above after creating a new ROM slot.

Ha! I didn't even think to use the "stock rom" for any custom roms... I don't suppose it really matters does it? I did create the max 16gb for my rom slot though I did hear about people having issues installing games when it complained device didn't have enough space... if it does matter then I'd rather use the stock slot since there doesn't seem to be any other roms to try anyways.

Reactions: camerajunkie

johim

Jun 30, 2012
I don't think he ment to replace your stock slot with custom rom.

I was wondering why would i restore stock backup to slot 1? Is this just to verify if backup works? Can i later remove it from slot 1.

It would take too much space to have a stock and slot 1 as stock and then slot 2 for nexus.

Fyi you can safely install Xposed 2.7 experimental and then activate gravitybox, and other aosp modules.

Sent from my Nexus HDX 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts