• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] Hyundai A7 - first custom rom! POST#6

Search This thread

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
ok, so i just got this in the mail today (110 bucks on ebay) and i like and i dont like.
i have a rooted nextbook premium 7 (thanks dochoppy!) and i love the np7 for the price. someone steered me toward the A7 and i was feeling a bit rich that night so i bought it. the specs are amazing! i particularly like the front facing camera so this can be used for skype and the speed should be awesome as well, but im not feeling it.
if there is anyone who has this tablet post here so we can encourage some development, im slowly starting to learn some myself but i am in need of lots of help! come on guys lets root this puppy and see what its made of! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: kinsah

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
wow posted this three weeks ago and no comment?
i guess no one on xda has one of these :D

well ive been busy with some other projects and just now had some more time to play with this new android toy.
turns out it IS rooted right out of the box, strange but awesome no work needed here!
had lots of issues trying to install the market initially tried lots of .apks and only a few would download when i would open the market it would just force close or would time out.
when i installed any ics gmail i would get the constant fc "android.core...." forget the rest but i remember having this issue on a phone a while back when i removed somethings necessary for android to run properly.
did some research found the manufactures website (if you go here be sure to have google translate ready :p )
found others having similar problems. turns out just downgrading the firmware fixes much of these issues. go back to 4.0.3 (20120203) and market (play) works flawless!!!!
just needed to download the correct contacts.apk to fix the "android.core..."
now i need to change the buildprop to allow more apps from the market.
also need to find some way to fix this kernel (more like find someone to do it for me :D ) when i open set cpu all is grand - as soon as i attempt to overclock bam! screen black and everything frozen - hard reset fixes this
root explorer is not finding my sdcard (thinks the nandflash is sd) so im using the file explorer that came with it. not sure if it has r/w option but i think if i need some minor adjustments root explorer can work and rom toolbox appears ok.
anyhow just wanted to post some updates and as soon as i get some more time i will add more detail here. oh and post links if needed too!

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
still no one....
well im starting to like this tablet more and more, and ics!
i thought i bricked it earlier when i was trying to overclock again (need a new kernel!)
i flashed the 20120203 firmware update again and nothing! tried three or four times and i kept getting stuck at the initial boot/splash screen!
went to the manufactures website and this time there was a new update, and this one had the market preinstalled!
http://www.hyundai-digital.cn/download/?lis=2&cl=2&cid=7
its the 20120329 dated but the build is 20120314 --- so there must be a few weeks of testing before they release to the public, a good thing i assume.

anyway this version seems much better but there still NEEDS to be a custom rom for this tablet! there is so much potential here but linpack only clocks at like 15.5 mflops, neocore scores 63.2 fps (looks good though!) antutu gets 3074

being that this seems hard to brick im going to attempt some tweaks, not a true custom rom but hopefully something better than stock.
if anyone has one of these and has issues with flashing the newest firmware just ask and ill be glad to help!

Tybalt39

Oct 21, 2008
Picked one up as well. I am told by finless that I should follow the development of the Polaroid tabs (same SoC). Tabletrepublic and Flashmyandroid have dedicated forums with good info for the Hyundai A7. I'm downloading the 314 build right now....

I just received my HDMI adapter yesterday. Watched a Blu-Ray ripped file from the A7 on my 52". WOW!

Update: New ROM fixed errors, but the camera still won't work with supplied software (so no Skype). Netflix plays longer but still eventually freezes (about 10 min).

Update: Re-formatted and re-flashed. Camera works reliably! Skype video works!

Last edited:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
ok here is the first custom rom for the hyundai a7! let me just say it isnt too much just the latest firmware minus all the chinese stuff. has full market, superuser and busybox are installed and working and full gapps applied and working strong! ive tested it for about a day now and havent found any flaws but would like a few more to try it.
i take no credit here!!!! this is made by steev a developer over @ flashmyandroid, this is based off his elvish rom for allwinner tablets. so give him a hand!
this is the first step into making your a7 the best tablet for the price around! so test this rom out and see how it works, let me know if there are any improvements/changes you want to see here! here ya go!

http://minus.com/mMQ8obWfa/1f

saxby

Apr 12, 2012
were to start ?

hi there . i should be getting my Hyundai A7 Tablet in a day or so. and haven’t found much info out there other then the spec.

just joined this site as I’m getting the feeling that it would be able to do what i want out the box.

in the past i have put a dual boot system on my old iriver and also messed about with a psp to play Amiga games .. but from looking around on this web page, everything seems t be way over my head . and haven’t found the link for "Hyundai A7 for dummies" any were .

basically i love my htc desire, and would like the tablet to do much of the same.
browse the net, down load programs off the Google site, and properly will end up doing minor editing on spread sheets and also downloading bit torrents.
and if posoble run some old amiga games

I’m guessing i need to do an update or something to get it to be able to access the Google downloads.

but do i need anything else .
i know that I’m properly way way behind on my tec or playing with operating systems . and properly will never understand all of what opening up an operating system can do,
but do i need to ?
and if so .. where should i start?
as i say .. struggling to find a basic / dummy guide to all this
any help would be most welcome

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
When you get your a7 play with it for a day and then come back if you decide you want more. I can post details on how to flash the only custom rom for these beast so far. Trutfully as improved it is over the stock os we need a lot more work to make this little tablet fly. If you need help ill post the links and instructions when I'm @ a computer

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Reactions: saxby

jamana

Apr 14, 2012
HELP, TUTORIAL: hyundai a7 custom rom flashing

first of all i want to thanks for the custom rom for the a7 "beast" :)
if it is possible, please let me know how to flash the a7.
i am basicly on mac, but i have also windows.
are there any mac based android utility ? except video converters any sw is welcomed :)

Thnx

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
first get live suit 1.07 here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?idmeiyvr8xbt6rd

then get custom rom here:

now make sure you are powered down on the tablet (fully) and not plugged into computer
open live suit (on a pc there may be a mac version havent looked into it)
sometimes a "backup warning" window open , hit no and then move on
next hit the square button in the left corner (looks like cardboard box)
from here direct the file to you custom rom (elvish)
now plug in your a7 to computer, if it automatically powers on shut it back down
take a small pin or whathaveyou to the little hole to the left of hdmi port this is the "update" button
hold down the "update" button as you power on and you will see a window pop up on your computer
click yes to reformat (i always do but you could hit no and it will still update without reformatting)
wait a short time (~2min) untill the progress bar finishes.
tablet will auto reboot when done

yeah! new firmware! your done!

EDIT: here is a video i found for flashing a polaroid tablet with livesuit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5KnVH6inQ&feature=youtu.be
similar device so i thought it could be helpful to some

Last edited:
Reactions: Busymannva

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
bigger battery?

so for i fun i decided to open this tablet up here are a few pics of the inside
IMG_20120414_223408.jpg

IMG_20120414_223722.jpg

IMG_20120414_223752.jpg

turns out only one speaker granted it only looked like two from the outside but i did assume there was stereo

with help from finlessbob i was able to determine this is a lithium-polymer battery (lipo)
the dimensions of the current battery are width:2.625" , length:3.2" , height:.2"

it is two batteries strung together so a third battery inline would be optimal. slice this in half and i need:
w-1.3", l-3.2", h-.2"
this approximate of course and could probably get away with large still.

im going to check online and local hobby/battery shops and see if i can find something for under $30
if anyone has something they think might work let me know and ill take a look

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
just received my Hyundai A7 about 2 weeks ago - I too am more and more impressed with this tablet every time I use it (using Evish ROM). It simply can't be beat for $100 - ICS runs great on it...

My son has since taken owenership of it, but I was thinking of geting another one, just to play with....

If anyone is "on the fence" about whether or not to get one, do it!!

By the way, the plastic film on the front is not meant to be permenant - just a protective sheet. It is a PIA to remove, but I would remove it for sure....

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
speaker crackle

someone turned me on to a post in german, dont really know who to thank for this :rolleyes:
but anyone else her that crack! on the speaker when just navigating?
dont know why i didnt notice this before but directly above the speaker sits the wifi antenna, dumb design that causes interference.

quick fix is to take the speaker and turn it 180 so the wires are facing the other way, then put a small pieces of something in between the speaker and antenna. (they used a utility knife blade) sounds like wifi reception improves too!

anyhow about to try this myself - ill report back with my findings as well as any other tips i find.
original poster ---- http://www.android-hilfe.de/sonstig...ablet-fuer-unter-100-euro-12.html#post2961152

baher4ever

Mar 22, 2011
Hey fellas! Would you happen to know if there is any custom ROM for the A7HD model? I would like to spend the extra $30, to get a Higher res Screen and the other small tweaks :)

I've ordered the A7HD and might get it by 15th of May. I really am eager to try this tablet as I think that it will be very competitive in the Market. No custom Roms have been released for this one yet but I think developers can tweak in the Elvish changing the display driver and resolution to fit the A7HD

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
a few people have been asking how to stop the speaker noise (click!) so i posted an explanation and a link a few pages back. but like i promised i finally got around to take a few pictures of the modification
IMG_20120506_214401.jpg

IMG_20120506_214738.jpg

you can see i moved the speaker 180 so the wires are on the left. i then cut a small piece of plastic (seen someone use a utility knife blade so use whatever you think will work) and placed it above the speaker. this will keep the speaker from interfering with the wifi.

also when you have your tablet opened (its easy just pry around the edges) take a look at the connections, these are terribly soldered. especially look at the usb port there have been some people complaining it broke from the board.

mine seems ok but it may be better to add a little solder now before it were to break off completely if yours looks poor

as for the bigger battery, i havent found a good replacement yet (havent looked hard either i mostly use my NP7) but when i do i will update

and does anyone know if i were to replace this camera with a better one (5mp maybe) would i need to change the software too? i assume there may just be a little bit tweaking the code but it would be nice for this camera is so easy to take out and there seem to e many i could attempt to replace it with, well if anyone has an idea on this let me know :D

dinjek

Dec 12, 2011
Riga
A bought two batteries for galaxy note (not original) on ebay. Their capacity is 2600 mAh for one. Waiting for them. I want to connect them parallelly, and get one battery with about 5000 mAh capacity. Everything must fit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok, so i just got this in the mail today (110 bucks on ebay) and i like and i dont like.
    i have a rooted nextbook premium 7 (thanks dochoppy!) and i love the np7 for the price. someone steered me toward the A7 and i was feeling a bit rich that night so i bought it. the specs are amazing! i particularly like the front facing camera so this can be used for skype and the speed should be awesome as well, but im not feeling it.
    if there is anyone who has this tablet post here so we can encourage some development, im slowly starting to learn some myself but i am in need of lots of help! come on guys lets root this puppy and see what its made of! :D
    When you get your a7 play with it for a day and then come back if you decide you want more. I can post details on how to flash the only custom rom for these beast so far. Trutfully as improved it is over the stock os we need a lot more work to make this little tablet fly. If you need help ill post the links and instructions when I'm @ a computer

first get live suit 1.07 here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?idmeiyvr8xbt6rd

then get custom rom here:

now make sure you are powered down on the tablet (fully) and not plugged into computer
    open live suit (on a pc there may be a mac version havent looked into it)
    sometimes a "backup warning" window open , hit no and then move on
    next hit the square button in the left corner (looks like cardboard box)
    from here direct the file to you custom rom (elvish)
    now plug in your a7 to computer, if it automatically powers on shut it back down
    take a small pin or whathaveyou to the little hole to the left of hdmi port this is the "update" button
    hold down the "update" button as you power on and you will see a window pop up on your computer
    click yes to reformat (i always do but you could hit no and it will still update without reformatting)
    wait a short time (~2min) untill the progress bar finishes.
    tablet will auto reboot when done

yeah! new firmware! your done!

EDIT: here is a video i found for flashing a polaroid tablet with livesuit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5KnVH6inQ&feature=youtu.be
    similar device so i thought it could be helpful to some
    Any word on a WPA_supplicant for Ad-Hoc for this device?

Ad-hoc is working fine on mine (I install Elvish custom ROM though).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    glad youre enjoying your a7
    look for a micro usb type b charger
    as for getting the market to work and skype look at the first page of this thread. you either need to update your tablet with the latest factory firmware or with the elvish rom.
    i posted direction on how to do this along with a link to a video that may help, its not the a7 but a similar tab and the flashing process is very similar