[ROM][I9190/I9192/I9195/L520/R890][Unofficial][10.0.0] LineageOS 17.1 for S4 Mini

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010

Skerleton

Feb 6, 2019
I9195 = serranoltexx
I9195I = serranovelte

The hardware on them are very much different, so they can't use the same ROMs.
can you make a build for serranovelte?..because i tried another verision of lineage 18.0 but there a lot of options doesnt exist..for example cant disable buttons backlight((((

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
can you make a build for serranovelte?..because i tried another verision of lineage 18.0 but there a lot of options doesnt exist..for example cant disable buttons backlight((((
No, sorry I can't. I don't have this device and as I said the hardware is different, so it needs different kernel and device sources to build from.

tM&M

Feb 6, 2020
Not really much to blame. As a system app, seems to only be required to give all file access to Snap - then it can write to the old SDCard DCIM.
Snap also saved to private folder on SDCard. It is just a matter of having Gallery also read this private folder instead of just the internal "DCIM" folder.
Without this, using LineageOS on older phones becomes rather pointless.

IMHO, 17.1 is one of the most bug filed LineageOS releases I've ever used. Lots of things don't work and seems more a beta software than the high quality Android I've been used to.

• Angry
Reactions: Claudio4780

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Not really much to blame. As a system app, seems to only be required to give all file access to Snap - then it can write to the old SDCard DCIM.
Snap also saved to private folder on SDCard. It is just a matter of having Gallery also read this private folder instead of just the internal "DCIM" folder.
Without this, using LineageOS on older phones becomes rather pointless.

IMHO, 17.1 is one of the most bug filed LineageOS releases I've ever used. Lots of things don't work and seems more a beta software than the high quality Android I've been used to.
You didn't really read up on what scoped storage is and how it works, did you?

Anyway, you're free to use whatever you want, but if you expect perfection on a 7 year old phone that stopped getting updates on Android 4.4, you're in the wrong place. Let me know if you find any other similar old phones that works perfectly bug free with Lineage 17.1. I don't think you fully understand what it takes to bring an up to date Android version to such an old phone, with the resources available. None of us are getting paid to do this.

So, if you're not happy with it, stick to stock ROM, or start to do some work yourself. Gerrit is always open for contributions.

tM&M

Feb 6, 2020
You didn't really read up on what scoped storage is and how it works, did you?

Anyway, you're free to use whatever you want, but if you expect perfection on a 7 year old phone that stopped getting updates on Android 4.4, you're in the wrong place. Let me know if you find any other similar old phones that works perfectly bug free with Lineage 17.1. I don't think you fully understand what it takes to bring an up to date Android version to such an old phone, with the resources available. None of us are getting paid to do this.

So, if you're not happy with it, stick to stock ROM, or start to do some work yourself. Gerrit is always open for contributions.
Hey Arco,

Please don't take me as someone who doesn't appreciate the work that you put into the ROMs - that was not at all my intention.
If there is a way to donate to your efforts, that is also something I can and will do, as you have saved me money through keeping this phone going since 2015!

I did read the article fully and there are many changes but instead of adapting the software, the LOS team has just removed the functionality.
I may have missed something though.
My experience is 17.1 is a buggy release and that is not your fault in any way!
I have been a user of CM/LOS since 4.3 and up to 17.1, and I had nothing to say but great things.

Thank you again for all your effort.

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
I'd like to test this ROM with NanoDroid. Any chance? I suppose TWRP install will fail due to space in /system being limited, what about the requirement stated in their README.md "Patcher works if your ROM's services.jar already contains classes.dex", may I assume that the dex file is there?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I'd like to test this ROM with NanoDroid. Any chance? I suppose TWRP install will fail due to space in /system being limited, what about the requirement stated in their README.md "Patcher works if your ROM's services.jar already contains classes.dex", may I assume that the dex file is there?
Size in system partition is no show stopper. GApps are much larger and get installed the same way. Nanodroid patcher will tell you what's good or bad with your ROM.

BeeJ1109

Sep 26, 2015
Adelaide
Does the camera work usually on seranoltexx?
Mine crashes always. I did a clean flash.
The camera works exactly same as earlier versions. On latest January update on i9195. All functions work, except panorama mode. Saves photos and videos to extsd card as selected in setup.

Good job to Arco68
Cheers
BJ

jurkoman

Oct 24, 2015
Screenshot_20210117-100847_Settings.png

Hello, acro68.
I flashed latest January update of this rom and it works flawlessly and smooth until i leaved it overnight.
I charged my i9195 to 50 % and after 14hrs (at morning) it has 12 % of battery.
Also no data in battery usage.
Clean install without gapps + magisk.
I am appreciated you added stock livedisplay setting.
Otherwise, i will stay on CrDroid 4.7.2 for moment, this rom is crazy stable.
Before flashing crdroid i will test new build of LOS 16.
It is fantastic how 7-8 y.o. phone with stable dualcore CPU updating with pretty smooth roms.
This phone is immortal and thanks for developers! (except burn-in on amoled screen)

Last edited:

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Size in system partition is no show stopper. GApps are much larger and get installed the same way. Nanodroid patcher will tell you what's good or bad with your ROM.
Apparently the full NanoDroid zip (400+MB) was too large for /system, installing it via TWRP failed.
Installation as Magisk Module succeeded (and has the advantage that the whole thing can be easily removed with reflashing). Couldn't pass SafetyNet yet, but a first step has been done (and once I've sorted out what I actually need I'll use individual packages instead of that "whale").
The answer to the "classes.dex" question seems to be "yes".

Reactions: kurtn