[ROM][I9190/I9192/I9195/L520/R890][Unofficial][11.0.0] LineageOS 18.1 for S4 Mini

Search This thread
... Very surprised Europe still having 2G, ....
Recently read that here in Germany Telefonica and Vodafone will keep 2G.
They modernised there hardwares not so long ago and loads of cars have eSIM emergency call modules installed which can't be replaced.
Don't know about other countries.

Reactions: ivorget

boernsen

Jan 18, 2021
Hey, does anybody else also had performance issues with 18.1 or solved them?

Don't know if this has anything to do with the ROM at all, but since I updated to 18.1 I am facing periods of lags / slowness from time to time. Sometimes though they are completely gone and the phone feels very responsive. As I could not yet figure out a pattern causing this, could anyone help me debugging the reason for it?

I tried to check RAM and CPU so far:
- Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Memory: usually had 1.1/1.4 GB used, max 1.2/1.4. Is this too much already and causes swapping? As far as I understand it only shows the average over the last three hours, which might be too coarse anyway. Do you know of any real-time method to check the RAM usage?
- CPU Stats app from F-Droid: doesn't seem unusual to me, there were peaks with 100% usage from time to time, but even if the load was 0% the slowness stayed until it suddenly disappears.

Do you have any ideas what could cause it, what to check and how?

Last edited:
Reactions: L3P3

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hey, does anybody else also had performance issues with 18.1 or solved them?

Don't know if this has anything to do with the ROM at all, but since I updated to 18.1 I am facing periods of lags / slowness from time to time. Sometime though they are completely gone and the phone feels very responsive. As I could not yet figure out a pattern causing this, could anyone help me debugging the reason for it?

I tried to check RAM and CPU so far:
- Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Memory: usually had 1.1/1.4 GB used, max 1.2/1.4. Is this too much already and causes swapping? As far as I understand it only shows the average over the last three hours, which might be too coarse anyway. Do you know of any real-time method to check the RAM usage?
- CPU Stats app from F-Droid: doesn't seem unusual to me, there were peaks with 100% usage from time to time, but even if the load was 0% the slowness stayed until it suddenly disappears.

Do you have any ideas what could cause it, what to check and how?
Keep the workload low. Use bromite browser, close unused tabs. Reduce photo and video resolution.

• Sad
Reactions: L3P3 and boernsen

boernsen

Jan 18, 2021
Keep the workload low. Use bromite browser, close unused tabs. Reduce photo and video resolution.
Thanks for your reply!

Maybe I didn't describe very well what I mean with slowness. We are not talking about browsing or anything interactive. I closed all apps and then even opening the settings is very laggy and slow. Then after a few hours or the next day or a restart or some event I don't notice, it is gone and responsive.

Oldie54

Jan 23, 2021
There are lots of Apps running in the background that are not currently needed but are using a bit of CPU, memory and batery. I use another App (it is not too reliable, so I do not recomment it here) to force stop of these apps and I can also select Apps that are startetd at boot time and wich not. It just uses the app manager to force stop of apps, so you can do it also manually. After stopping background apps the S4mini runs much better.

boernsen

Jan 18, 2021
There are lots of Apps running in the background that are not currently needed but are using a bit of CPU, memory and batery. I use another App (it is not too reliable, so I do not recomment it here) to force stop of these apps and I can also select Apps that are startetd at boot time and wich not. It just uses the app manager to force stop of apps, so you can do it also manually. After stopping background apps the S4mini runs much better.
Do you know how I can find out whether background apps are slowing down others?

Maybe by cpu and memory usage? I actually would really like to see the real-time cpu and memory usage of all apps and processes in a convenient overview. As I didn't find anything good yet, do you know of any apps providing that?

I would really like to know what actually happens when the phone slows down.

Last edited:

Maybe by cpu and memory usage? I actually would really like to see the real-time cpu and memory usage of all apps and processes in a convenient overview. As I didn't find anything good yet, do you know of any apps providing that?

I recommend "Cool Tool" for that.
Can show selected properties hovering on status bar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220922-100459_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220922-100459_Trebuchet.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20220922-100515_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220922-100515_Trebuchet.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: boernsen

Oldie54

Jan 23, 2021

Have a look at Android Assistent, but as I said, it is not as stable and reliable as expected but the idea of a toolbox is quite good and knowing its limitations it can help.

Have a look at Android Assistent, but as I said, it is not as stable and reliable as expected but the idea of a toolbox is quite good and knowing its limitations it can help.
I've used that for quite some time but when automated installation of by AA saved apps ceased to work I uninstalled it.
Elixir2, which I always install anyway, shows running tasks on rooted devices as well.

ivorget

May 26, 2018
I admit that I don't use any of my S4minis to call someone (or be called)... With the I9195 there's a lot of hope that internet access will continue to work, and indeed SIP is still an option (I'm accepting suggestions which software to use).

Still I'm wondering what the hard-limiting factors are, given that the SIIIneo (I9301I), while limited to 3G, is still seeing upgrades to LineageOS 19.1 and recently 20.0 ... That one must also be stuck with a rather old 3.x kernel, I guess...
I hope that the knowledge that apparently has accumulated there will someday be carried over to other devices, like our beloved S4mini, and that very special OnePlus One I'm keeping. Perhaps we can bribe someone?

Interesting, I didn't know that anyone had done workarounds so I did a search and though this is from a different phone (J7) - apparently they've reverted the eBPF related commits and disabled eBPF.

Re SIP, I use Localphone (they have an app I haven't used) and CallWithUs (great rates to European mobiles, but no app so you'd need to configure SIP account).

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
I checked the kernel versions in the latest LineageOS versions available, and found
- Samsung S7 Edge (hero2lte) : 3.18
- Sony Xperia Z5c (suzuran) : 3.10
- Moto E 1st gen 2015 (condor) : 3.4.112
- SIII neo (s3ve3g*) : 3.4.113
- S4 mini (serrano*) : 3.4.113
While "condor" has been abandoned long ago (mine had almost cracked to death due to an inflating battery), SIII neo with a very close kernel version is alive and kicking. There's hope for our S4 mini ;)

FKzen

May 16, 2021
Please will there be new security updates?

Second question: Does anyone have a problem with 5GHz WiFi, it disconnects permanently automatically? 2.4GHz works very well.

2022.10.18:
After changing settings in router, my Wi-Fi connection is now stable.

Attachments

• Wi-Fi.PNG
    Wi-Fi.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

marrei1964

Nov 21, 2020
hi,
does anyone know about Arco68s' status?
he is "OFF" for quite a while now... hopefully he is ok. and enjoys a 3 month vacation!! :cowboy:
:cowboy::cowboy:

Top Liked Posts