[ROM][I9190/I9192/I9195/L520/R890][Unofficial][11.0.0] LineageOS 18.1 for S4 Mini

Search This thread

Mr.Shine

Oct 21, 2020
Hard to say. It's rather difficult since I don't have anything to test it against.

It's actually rather easy if you have a spare router / access point to install OpenWRT on. Use the current stable version (19.07.5 as of now - don't use 18.06.x or older!), enable WPA2-only, Cipher "auto" or "force CCMP" and 802.11w "optional". This will automatically allow (but not enforce) PSK/SHA-256. Although this is a 802.11ac feature, it should work with non-AC routers/APs, too. The S4Mini fails to connect in this mode. Now disable 802.11w (this turns off PSK-SHA256 at the same time), and the S4Mini will connect.

When checking with "iw wlan0 scan" on the S4Mini, look for your SSID in the output and pay attention to the "RSN" section.

That's not exacty my setup, but it'll give you the desired result. I had to jump through quite a few more hoops to be able to pin the issue down to PSK/SHA-256.

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
First post updated with new builds.

Added back display modes in LiveDisplay
Fixed some issues with saving pictures/panorama images in camera app
Fixed issue with VPN mode in Orbot (and maybe other) apps. (Please test that there's no wifi regressions after this)

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth
@arco68
After the latest update = Unsupported Samsung SD card.
This device doesn't support this Samsung SD card. I have tried 3 different ones

Who can advise me what to do? Always getting the same message when trying to set up the SD card as internal storage. This happened the second time now, end of last year on my 9192 and today on my 9195. Never happened on version 17 or previous versions...

Attachments

• SD.JPG
    SD.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

kurtn

First post updated with new builds.

Added back display modes in LiveDisplay
Fixed some issues with saving pictures/panorama images in camera app
Fixed issue with VPN mode in Orbot (and maybe other) apps. (Please test that there's no wifi regressions after this)
Nice. After taking a photo, tapping the thumbnail opens the correct image. Wrong image was a bug in all 18.1 I've tested so far. But opening takes a second, now.

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth
@arco68
After the latest update = Unsupported Samsung SD card.
This device doesn't support this Samsung SD card. I have tried 3 different ones
Managed to install the latest version however, unable to set up the sd-card for internal storage. I can format the card on my pc (MiniTool Partition) and it then works on my other phones, pc, cam etc. but not on the phone.

Trying via Development Options to Force Apps to be installed on external SD. Can enable it, but apps are still being installed internal.

So I guess something has been messed up during the update. Can somebody help me..?

Last edited:

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Managed to install the latest version however, unable to set up the sd-card for internal storage. I can format the card on my pc (MiniTool Partition) and it then works on my other phones, pc, cam etc. but not on the phone.
Hmm, this is strange. I had 17.1 installed, so I tested this there. I can format as portable storage just fine it seems, but formatting as internal fails. Well, it succeeded once, but three other times it failed. Dunno why, so will need to investigate further.

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth
Hmm, this is strange. I had 17.1 installed, so I tested this there. I can format as portable storage just fine it seems, but formatting as internal fails. Well, it succeeded once, but three other times it failed. Dunno why, so will need to investigate further.
It did work all the years on all versions since we were able to include the sd as an internal storage. During the last update I've got a "bang" and since that I do get the message as per attachment. Even after new clean flashes, installation of original firmware and back to lineageos. Something must have changed on the phone itself as the card can be formated on the pc and works on other devices AND can be set up on my other Galaxy 9195 as internal storage...

Attachments

• SD.JPG
    SD.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
It did work all the years on all versions since we were able to include the sd as an internal storage. During the last update I've got a "bang" and since that I do get the message as per attachment. Even after new clean flashes, installation of original firmware and back to lineageos. Something must have changed on the phone itself as the card can be formated on the pc and works on other devices AND can be set up on my other Galaxy 9195 as internal storage...
I get that error in your picture randomly on 17.1, but not on 18.1 so far though. There's something strange though. I'm testing with formatting as portable and then as internal storage, and repeats this a few times. Sometimes the sdcard doesn't get remounted and I'll have to reboot to bring it back. Strange.

Are you able to format as portable?

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth
Are you able to format as portable?
I can only format it and run it as portable. Did set up the Development Option to force app installations on sd card, but that is not happening.

Can you make this upload available again for a try-out?? Did help me in November... https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-i9190-i...7-1-for-s4-mini.4045147/page-23#post-83920603

At that time I had a similar problem after an update. It also stopped at the beginning of installing it with a red coloured message but I can't remember what it said.

Last edited:

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth
@arco68 And now during charging and a restart of the phone it shows me a message: Samsung SD card missing - Insert device again
If I wanna select the SD-Storage button, I get the message as per attachment
Switching off the phone, removing and inserting the card, everything is normal again. For how long ...?

Attachments

• DSC01506.JPG
    DSC01506.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
Can you make this upload available again for a try-out?? Did help me in November... https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-i9190-i...7-1-for-s4-mini.4045147/page-23#post-83920603
Only difference between that and the normal kernel back then was the inclusion of the missing f2fs driver, which have since been included in all builds. However, you can try this one: https://www.mediafire.com/file/golaodlamcj6paq/boot.img/file
It has an updated f2fs driver and some other changes.

The only issue I seem to have here, is that sometimes when formatting as portable, it gets stuck at 20% and never finishes. Looks like it fails to remount the sdcard after formatting. After rebooting it's back to life again. I'm suspecting some kind of bug in Android's vold/storage manager.

Reactions: Claudio4780

Claudio4780

Feb 6, 2016
Port Elizabeth

gust4

Feb 26, 2019
thanks a lot @arco68 for the builds. Your work shows that one can still have the newest android and security patches despite of the age of the phone. Btw, imo serranoltexx is a pretty good and very handy phone. Unfortunately, i still cannot get the CCTG-App to work. https://codeberg.org/corona-contact-tracing-germany/cwa-android due to some issue with bluetooth, it doesn't receive the permission? However, the CCTG should work on any Android 5+ device regardless of installed play-services or microg versions. Does it mean, that the build-in bluetooth 4.0 + LE with A2DP of the serranoltexx is not suitable for that or is bluetooth LE not contained/activated/allowed in your builds, @arco68 ?

pw16

Apr 2, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
I upgraded my second s4 mini successfully from stock Android 4 to arco's android 18.1 release 2021-01-18 and the gapps mentioned in the first post, using the latest trwp.
This works nice and fast. Thanks arco!

So far I noticed two things that puzzle me:

1. After each boot an Android system message appears:
Trust - System Security
This build was signed with public keys
Google tells me to ignore this message, but is that true?

2. When the S4 mini is in flight mode, GPS does not stay on when an app needs it. Location however remains enabled. The gps symbol displays only shortly when starting the app. In normal mode gps works fine.
I noticed this problem with the "GPS test" app from Chartcross.
As GPS does not broadcast any signals why is it not functioning in flight mode?

kurtn

I upgraded my second s4 mini successfully from stock Android 4 to arco's android 18.1 release 2021-01-18 and the gapps mentioned in the first post, using the latest trwp.
This works nice and fast. Thanks arco!

So far I noticed two things that puzzle me:

1. After each boot an Android system message appears:
Trust - System Security
This build was signed with public keys
Google tells me to ignore this message, but is that true?

2. When the S4 mini is in flight mode, GPS does not stay on when an app needs it. Location however remains enabled. The gps symbol displays only shortly when starting the app. In normal mode gps works fine.
I noticed this problem with the "GPS test" app from Chartcross.
As GPS does not broadcast any signals why is it not functioning in flight mode?
You can disable the trust message from trust settings. Just be sure to download system updates from a trustworthy source.

kurtn

thanks a lot @arco68 for the builds. Your work shows that one can still have the newest android and security patches despite of the age of the phone. Btw, imo serranoltexx is a pretty good and very handy phone. Unfortunately, i still cannot get the CCTG-App to work. https://codeberg.org/corona-contact-tracing-germany/cwa-android due to some issue with bluetooth, it doesn't receive the permission? However, the CCTG should work on any Android 5+ device regardless of installed play-services or microg versions. Does it mean, that the build-in bluetooth 4.0 + LE with A2DP of the serranoltexx is not suitable for that or is bluetooth LE not contained/activated/allowed in your builds, @arco68 ?
CCTG works for me. Do you get any error message?

Top Liked Posts