- Oct 11, 2010
After over 3 months of work, 2 hard-bricks (and a few soft-bricks) and a lot of coffee, it's time to release the first alpha version of CM9 for the Samsung Galaxy W (GT-I8150). This is very much still work in progress, but it should be decent enough now that it's usable, if you don't heavily rely on the not working stuff.
For general discussions, bug reports and FAQ, go here.
Receiving and making calls
USB mass storage
HW accelerated gui
HW accelerated video
Wifi and USB tethering
CM9 Install Guide
Note: CM for Galaxy W is provided with no warranty. You are installing this software at your own risk. You may be violating your warranty.
Download CM9 and gapps-ics zips and put in /sdcard
- 2013-07-30: CM9 Final Release 
- Fixed issue with bluetooth not reconnecting to devices if it was on during reboot
- Disabled unsupported functions on front camera
- Reverted a bionic optimization that apparently causes issues on scorpion chips
- Upstream security fixes
- Fixed charging issue
- Kernel 3.0.88
- 2013-05-11: CM9 rc9 
- Fixed "pop" sound on shutdown and entering PIN (credits CastagnaIT)
- Kernel 3.0.77
- 2013-04-15: CM9 rc8 
- Updated CM logo in boot splash
- Fixed lockscreen weather due to API changes from Yahoo
- Enabled NTFS read support in kernel
- Support for OTG webcam
- Kernel 3.0.73
- 2013-03-18: CM9 rc7   
- New wifi driver
- Support for PPPoE in kernel
- Support for USB fast charging (needs 3rd party app to enable) (credits ivendor)
- Support for OTG (needs external powered hub) (credits ivendor)
- MMS auto-retrieval
- Fixed non-working options for purging of asset bitmaps and dithering method
- Fixed issues with OpenVPN and TUN
- Thumbnail generation now uses HW (faster)
- 2013-02-19: CM9 rc6 
- Fixed issue with no pin unlock screen after reboot
- Updated BFQ scheduler
- Backported I/O scheduler settings from jelly bean
- Camera now uses system heap memory = a bit more free memory for kernel
- Various other small rom and kernel fixes
- 2013-02-10: CM9 rc5 
- Fixed snapshot issue with front camera
- Fixed no sound in VoIP issue
- Added and enabled ROW I/O scheduler
- 2013-02-04: CM9 rc4 
- Switched to 3.0 kernel (Yes camera works, front and back!)
- Added Sound Recorder
- Fix preview frame rate for front camera
- Some RIL fixes
- 2013-02-01: CM9 rc3 
- Updated file manager
- Updated terminal emulator
- Fix camera preview frame rate
- Some other small changes (device permissions, liblights debugging, init script)
- 2012-12-21: CM9 rc2 
- Fixed loosing wifi connection during sleep
- 2012-12-19: CM9 rc1 
- Build against optimized libv8
- Enable tile rendering
- Update media_profiles
- Update kernel
- 2012-11-24: CM9 beta4 
- Fixed issue with HSDPA protocol
- Synced with CM
- 2012-10-23: CM9 beta3  
- Some updates to the camera HAL wrapper
- Switched from BFQ to CFQ scheduler as default (after some testing, it seems to provide better database and 3D performance)
- Some bionic tweaks (better CPU float performance)
- Synced with CM
- 2012-10-04: CM9 beta2  
- Bluetooth sleep fix from ivendor
- Reverted wifi drivers
- Disabled VoIP over MVS
- Updated Adreno libs
- 2012-09-17: CM9 beta1  
- Fixed camera exposure issue
- Fixed non working zRam
- Fixed USB tethering
- Fixed camera crash after taking a certain amount of pictures (credits ivendor)
- Fixed issue with turning on phone when charging
- Set governor to powersave and limit max frequency when charging offmode
- Changed wifi country code to ALL (might help with issues in certain countries)
- Increased minimum scaling frequency to 245760
- Updated wifi driver
- 2012-08-29: CM9 alpha8  
- Fixed bluetooth calling (again)
- Fixed notification drawer lag
- Fixed issue with .nomedia file being created on sd cards (was a bug in ROM Manager)
- Fixed offmode charging icon animation on ariesve (Hopefully)
- Increased wifi.supplicant_scan_interval value, and moved definition to right place
- Updated Adreno libs
- 2012-08-13: CM9 alpha7  
- Camera improvements and fixes (working front camera snapshots, zoom for back camera, 720p recording)
- Fixed flickering led in torch app
- Fixed usb mounting for external sd
- 2012-08-04: CM9 alpha6  
- Improved camera
- Added Torch app
- Various minor fixes
- 2012-07-17: CM9 alpha5  
- Reworked kernel
- Synced with latest CM sources
- 2012-06-06: CM9 alpha4  
- LPA support (Low Power Audio).
- Updated Adreno drivers.
- Very broken and buggy camera support.
- Long press menu to search.
- Lockscreen weather and calendar events.
- Apollo music player.
- 2012-05-24: CM9 alpha3  
- Changed wifi driver. Hopefully it fixes most reported issues.
- Enabled CIFS support in the kernel.
- 2012-05-12: CM9 alpha2  
- Fixed issue with bluetooth calling.
- Fixed issue with APN's.
- Improved haptic feedback.
- Several kernel updates.
- Sync with latest CM sources, which amongst other things includes themes and lockscreen shortcuts.
- Probably some more stuff that I can't remember right now. Refer to my github for detailed changes.
- 2012-04-01: CM9 alpha1 
- Initial release
- gapps UPGRADE REQUIRED
- gapps version 20120429
Please verify the md5sum to be sure you got the right one.
- gapps version 20120429
- Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
- Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
- Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
- Boot into CWM5 recovery. Make a full backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
- Use CWM5 or CWM6.
- Warning: Only use this recovery to flash CM9. Otherwise, you risk bricking your phone!
- Wipe data and cache.
- Flash update*.zip.
- Flash gapps*.zip. You must flash gapps after every upgrade to CM9 since /system is formatted, wiping your previous add-ons.
- Reboot phone.
- After you setup your Google account, reinstall the three apps from Market in order to restore most of your apps, call log and SMS history.
- Warning: Do not restore backup data of system apps!
- If you restore a bad backup with cached settings in telephony.db in data/data/com.*.*.telephony it can break MMS.
- It seems that restoring backups can also break Calendar sync.
Upgrades from previous versions of CM9 are the same process as install, except you do not need to wipe anything. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to even wipe cache and dalvik-cache when upgrading between CM9 versions. You only need to wipe if you are doing a major upgrade, switching to a different ROM entirely, or attempting to fix bugs caused by bad backups or corrupt app data.
NB: Going from a ROM using 2.6 kernel to a 3.0 kernel, a full wipe is recommended though.
Epic Touch CM Team for the install instructions
ivendor and mirred for help with the camera HAL
Mirror kindly provided by THE-E.