[ROM][ICS] sediROM - current inside - stable - smooth - rooted or not-rooted

Do you want to have a new release of sediROM?

• YES!! start CM9 compiling!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I don't care! Do whatever you like!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No don't waste your time on that

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
|
|
| sediROM - or why I created a new ROM based on good old (ancient) ICS
|
|
| Read the background and the whole story and all the discussions about sediROM here:
| http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789119
|
|____________________________________________________________________________________________

Some first words:
A lot has changed since I forked LiteROM v0.9 in May 2014 and therefore started sediROM. sediROM has grown up in the meanwhile to a standalone ROM with some mods coming from LiteROM but in comparison to the current state of sediROM they are not many anymore.
LiteROM was a very good starting point for me to dive into ROM development and doing my first steps here so many thanks going to thegreatergood, of course.
As a result of that learning process I will change the base of sediROM in one of the next major releases (see Roadmap) to remove the rest of LiteROM stuff which I do not need/use anymore.

Summary:

• Debloated, Partially De-odexed, Zip-aligned, SuperSU, Busybox, Init.d Support, Tons of Memory and Build.prop Tweaks, Sysctl Tweaks, 14 toggles Mod, Power Menu, Tethering fix and more...
  • Aroma Install
  • Customizable Apps, Tweaks, Mods
  • BLN Support
  • Selectable Kernel, Modem, Bootanimation
  • No Samsung backdoor inside!

Full Feature List:

Explanation: Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED

Installer:
sediROM flashing will be done by AROMA installer which gives you 2 selectable modes when starting:
  1. Easy Installation:
    This will do all the hard stuff for you and installs besides the ROM itself well tested preselected apps & enhancements.
    You need to choose this mode when you install sediROM the first time or want to install an upgraded version of sediROM.
    Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED
  2. Modify Installation:
    This mode needs an existing sediROM installation first. So you can choose the Easy Installation mode first and after that has finished simply choose this mode to modify things like the Kernel, Modem whatever. This mode can be choosen whenever you want - e.g. you can test a Kernel X and after a while you want to test another one - no problem - simply restart the Installer and choose the Modify Installation mode!

Available Kernels:
  • sediKERNEL v1.0 (Kernel 3.1.10) (see changelog for details)
  • CM11 based (Kernel 3.1.10)
  • JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130222 (see changelog for details)
  • JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130221 (see changelog for details)
  • LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU not OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
  • LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
  • LiteKernel v1.2.2 Original LiteRom v0.9 Kernel.Tweaked - LiteKernel v1.2.2 overclocked with UnderVoltage
  • LiteKernel_l2hsicpatched-bubor-r20150506 with L2_HSIC patch based on code of 2014-04
  • Stock ICS Kernel UCLJ3 (Kernel 3.1.10)
  • Enhanced UCLJ3 stock Kernel
    enhancements:
    - init.d support (this enables sediROM bluetooth fix for this kernel)
    - added custom boot animation support
  • Stock ICS Kernel UCLH2 (Kernel 3.1.10)

Available Modems:
  • UCLJ3
  • UCKL1
  • UCLH2
  • UCKI3
  • RUXKJ5

Some meaningful Apps & Tools:
  • ATOM launcher
  • Several other launchers available in "modify" mode (Apex, Nova, ADW, Stock)
  • Ghostery, Quickpic, ES File Explorer, AndroidTerm, Vodoo Sound Control
  • Camera apps: Open Camera, HD Camera Ultra, Stock, ICS, JB)
  • Kii Keyboard, Samsung Keyboard (default enabled), Go Keyboard, Stock Keyboard

"Under the hood" - Integrated Features:
  • The possibility to execute shutdown scripts (and for boot-up but every Kernel in sediROM supports that out-of-the-box)
  • The possibility to choose a non-rooted mode! If you're running Apps which detects root (and hiding is not possible) or if you want to be most secure than this mode is for you. Enterprise users may want this to be complain with their security policy e.g.

(Major) Bugfixes (related to ICS and/or LiteRom):
  • That was driving me nuts and costs WEEKS to fix -> BT fix (better a fully working workaround) for loosing paired devices after a reboot!!!
  • Lags/waits when pressing the power button to switch the display on
  • Within Aroma installer: Many many fixes and enhancements when modifiying or/and installing the ROM to get the most out of it
  • There are many other fixes which can be found in the full changelog
  • Device encryption was not working in LiteROM. That was fixed in sediROM since v1.1.

Known issues:
  • Check the open bug reports for a complete list: Click

HOW-TO flash & Download:

Disclaimer:
  • sediROM is not fully finished nor bugfree (yet).
    [*]But is has less bugs and more features then it's fork "LiteROM" and fixes bugs within stock ICS as well.
    [*]I use it continuesly since 1th of May 2014 and sporadically developing / enhancing sediROM since then.
    Installing sediROM may result in several explosions in your garden (or in that of your neighbour) .. you have been warned!
    DO NEVER USE OPTIONS WHICH ARE MARKED AS "TESTING" IN THE INSTALLER!
    I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)

Requirements:
  • Do a nandroid backup and ensure you have an EFS backup, too !! EFS: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019540)
  • COPY THAT BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE TOO !!!! --> SAVED MY DAY TODAY BECAUSE OF MD5 MISMATCHES THAT CAN HAPPEN.. (I cannot recommend that "fixes" cursing around to simply workaround MD5 sum checking! If the md5sum mismatch you should NOT restore IMO. That may simply not work or can result in bad behaviour etc minutes later or some days later)
  • Check your backup! (e.g. md5sum -c nandroid.md5) in BOTH places (on the Glide AND on your external ressource)
  • Install TWRP(!) or migrate to it! DO NOT USE CWM - flashing may fail with CWM (and is besides that not recommended).
    DL- Link CWM: CWM v6 (click) (several users reported CWM will not work! use TWRP!)
    DL- Link TWRP: twrp v2.7.1 (click)
  • You should have a windows box running Odin + TWRP near - just for the case.

Flashing Guide:
  1. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)
  2. Copy BOTH the sediROM zip AND the sediROM md5 file to your Glide!!
  3. Boot into Recovery mode (Poweroff the device then Power on while holding Volume Down)
  4. Ensure that you use TWRP and that the MD5 sum file is in the same directory as the sediROM zip! Only then TWRP will automatically check the MD5 !
  5. Flash the latest sediROM zip file
  6. Choose "Easy Installation" mode
  7. Answer the few questions and wait until the flashing finishes
  8. When finished - reboot and wait until it has fully started up
  9. The Android setup wizard should come up (if not -> flash again
  10. Go through the wizard and reboot once again afterwards
  11. Enjoy :D
  12. Please read the FAQ (click)!
  13. Please file a bug if you encounter problems: File a bug (click here)

Take also a look on:

Best regards
xdajog

Special THANKS (please give them a Thanks-Click ! That costs you nothing but 2 seconds (for each)!!)

PS: Happy for every single click on my "thanks" button (you are free to do that on the changelog, roadmap and faq post again... ;) )

And as an absolutely premiere I want to say thank you to maddbomber83 for the donation.
You're the first one (until now the only one ;) ) who say thx this way. Highly appreciated and motivating.

Sources:

sediROM --> https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM
sediKERNEL --> https://github.com/xdajog/kernel_samsung_i927

XDA:DevDB Information
sediROM, ROM for the Samsung Captivate Glide

Contributors
xdajog, bubor (for all his work! highly appreciated!), maddbomber83, organic2 (for heavy testing!)
Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM

ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
ROM Firmware Required: sediTWRP or TWRP >= v2.7
Based On: STOCK, LiteROM

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v2.1 (2.1.2)
Stable Release Date: 2016-01-04
Current Beta Version: ---

Created 2014-07-11
Last Updated 2016-07-26

Attachments

• 2015_01_29_13.00.52.jpg
    2015_01_29_13.00.52.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11,085
  • 2015_01_29_17.24.53.jpg
    2015_01_29_17.24.53.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 10,977
  • 2015_01_29_17.25.11.png
    2015_01_29_17.25.11.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 10,992
  • 2015_01_29_13.01.48.jpg
    2015_01_29_13.01.48.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 10,872
  • X00000.jpg
    X00000.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7,363
  • X00011.jpg
    X00011.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 7,333
  • X00013.jpg
    X00013.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7,297
  • X00023.jpg
    X00023.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 7,257
Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Why another ROM and why build on ICS?
    Please read the full story here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789119

[*]Do you need to network unlock the Glide?
    Follow the excellent guide here: >Click here<
    And also take a look on my additions to it here: >Click here<

[*]When version [FILL-IN-WHATEVER-YOU-LIKE] will be released?
    Please keep in mind that this project is not a full time job so questions about a release date is something I will / can not reply to.
    This is not because I don't like you but it is because I cannot promise anything. RL is my priority and this can not be controlled (fully) as you may know ;)

[*]Is device encryption supported?
    Yes, device encryption is supported since sediROM v1.1
    You may want to check out a working TWRP version to be able to still do nandroid backups here sediTWRP with decrpytion support (click)

Hint: Device Encryption is fully supported when choosing the easy installation mode while installing.
    That means if you choose the modify mode afterwards be careful what to choose within the TWEAK section (kernel optimization/swap internal to external sdcard/...). Those are not all tested yet so do a backup before choosing them. ALSO for /sdcard! because that gets encypted to.
    If you choose the easy installation method and change only apps/kernel/modem etc you will be safe though.

[*]Can I upgrade from a previous version of sediROM?

basic* --> will be explained some lines later (pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ)

v2.0 ----> v2.1
    Yes: tested (basic + full)
    basic --> pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ
    full -----> tested on my production device, too

v1.7 ----> v2.0

v1.6 ----> v1.7
    Yes: tested (basic --> pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ)

v1.5 ----> v1.6
    Yes: tested (basic --> pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ)

v1.1 ----> v1.6 (this is the last upgrade test for v1.1. I will not test upgrading to higher releases from v1.1!)

v1.1 ----> v1.5
    The same pre-requirements necessary as in v1.0 ---> v1.1 !

v1.0 ----> v1.1 (this is the last upgrade test for v1.0. I will not test upgrading to higher releases from v1.0!)
    Yes: tested (basic --> pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ).
    Manual pre-requirements necessary! To upgrade from v1.0 to v1.1 you need to wipe /system partition manually before you start the upgrade because there is a bug in v1.1 and v1.5 preventing from doing the partial wipe which normally will do that for you.
    These are the steps:
    1. Within TWRP choose the wipe menu and then "advanced". Afterwards select only "system" !
    2. Go on and afterwards start the sediROM installer again and choose "partial wipe". Because you have wiped /system manually the installation should run fine afterwards.
    3. This way you will NOT wipe any configs or apps or something as long as you leave /sdcard and /data untouched in step 1.
    4. That workaround should work even when you already tried the partial wipe in "Easy Installation" mode.

If you use L2SD here a special note: from @maddbomber83:
    Just as a note; upgrading an install that has a lot of symlinks (such as L2SD) does not appear to be working properly. If your install includes any of these then as the Developer has stated, MAKE SURE TO DO A NANDROID BACKUP!

On mine at least, the phone had a lot of FC errors focused around the PHONE APK. If you did do a data wipe and can get back into your phone but are missing your linked apps then:
    Q. I upgraded/changed my ROM and I can not see my linked apps, their files are on the 2nd partition but the system can not see the apps. How can I make them available, do I need to reinstall and relink them again?
    No, if you didn't wipe data when updating ROM the only thing you need to do is to run "Recreate mount scripts" from "menu -> more" within Link2SD and do a normal (not quick) reboot.
    If you wiped data, after executing "Recreate mount scripts" and rebooting, run "Relink all application files" from "menu -> more" and then reboot. All of your linked apps should be available again after reboot.
    If you also wiped dalvik-cache, in addition to the above step run "Link dalvik-cache files".

What does "tested (basic)" means?
    When I test upgrades I do that very basic. As the system is still the same (ICS 4.0.4) and normally no android related things changed I strongly believe that doing upgrades shouldn't harm anything. Even all the apps should work as long as you don't played around with system apps (In Titanium Backup and other tools you can make an app a system app which means it will also be copied to the /system area which will be overwritten due to the upgrade. If you have converted a user app to a system app it will be lost then). Normally you wouldn't do such a conversion but as it is possible I need to add that hint here..

When I state an upgrade path as "tested (basic)" it means that it SHOULD work but as always no guarantee ;)

My Test setup is always as follows:
    • a custom wallpaper (Home + Lock Screen)
    • added some icons to the launcher
    • set a lock screen password
    • system settings for screen timeout and screen off
    • WiFi settings for my WLAN
    • Installed Titanium Backup app
    • acquiring root permission (ES File Explorer and after "adb shell")

Upgrade guide:
    1. do a nandroid backup! <-- sigh this is VERY important do not skip that step!!
    2. copy that backup to your pc just to be sure!
    3. choose to install sediROM
    4. choose easy installation
    5. then (the upgrade magic): choose "partial wipe" !
    6. complete the rest of the installation and you're done.

[*]Screen wakeup delay?
    I have a screen wakeup delay when using sediROM! AND I use sediROM < v2.0 (e.g. v1.7).

The problem here is the default used kernel in sediROM before v2.0.
    All smaller versions uses "Litekernel" as the default kernel which is the root cause for this problem.
    Before v1.7 there is no really option for fixing this other than installing another kernel manually.
    In v1.7 you are able to switch to the CM11 kernel in the modify mode within the sediROM installer but the shipped version has issues with MTP (connecting storage to PC).
    So that is also not a workaround for everyone unfortunately but if you do not use MTP (USB mass storage works btw) this may an option for you.

Well so what is the solution?
    Install sediROM v2.0 and use the latest sediKERNEL (default in easy installation mode) or the CM11 kernel (including the MTP fix) provided by bubor or the modified STOCK UCLJ3 kernel by xdajog (me).
    All of them have no screen wakeup delay issues and working fine.
    All are available in v2.0 and you can switch between them in the modify mode as always (sediKERNEL is default since v2.0)

[*]What is that "Bluetooth HSP fix"?
    Bluetooth HSP (HeadSet Profiles) is buggy in ICS 4.0.4. All paired devices gets lost after a reboot. In sediROM there is a fix for this implemented. To be honest that fix was the reason why I started sediROM..!

It is implemented in two steps:
    1. a shutdown script which backups the bluetooth pairings and settings
    2. an init.d script on boot which restores those pairings

The problem that pairings go to hell after a reboot is kind of special. The first thought was to simply backup the correct folders and restore them again when boot up. That alone won't work - the pairings will not shown up when enabling BT afterwards because they are deleted right when BT gets enabled. I tried to find out why but without success. Then I found a way by simply protecting the BT config file. That said when BT starts up it can not delete it anymore and stops trying that and that means the restored pairings will be read and shown.. A little bit crazy I know but it works very great (in my case).

Further Readings (they may related to this issue):
    There are different caveats depending on which sediROM version you are using with the current implementation:
    sediROM >= v1.7
    Since v1.7 the BT fix is very stable and the caveats we have are absolutely minor:
    • Bluetooth will from now on always beeing OFF after a restart. That is wanted and nothing really bad and is a protection that things goes right.
      After sediROM is up'n'running you can switch on BT and/or off again - only when rebooting BT will be always off again.
    • The system needs to be fully started in order to get BT working. As this is only a couple of seconds (about 10-20 sec) and starts while in boot process this has no impact for the user.
    sediROM < v1.7
    • If you change the name in BT settings that will not be restored atm so it is sticked at "SGH-I927"
    • Under some circumstances the BT fix hasn't worked. check out the details at the bottom to find out the reason.
    sediROM = v1.5 OR sediROM < v1.5
    • If you want to delete a pairing it was restored in sediROM <v1.5 when you reboot - to completely delete a pairing you need to:
      in sediROM = v1.5:
      You don't need to do anything. If you delete a pairing or add a pairing both will be saved and no need to do anything else then reboot.
      In case you have problems you can delete /sdcard/.sediROM/btfix/00_btbackup.tar and/or check the logs in /sdcard/.sediROM/btfix/ . But that is normally not needed anymore.
      in sediROM < v1.5:
      delete "/data/local/tmp/00_btbackup.tar" and then reboot

Detailed background information
    and the reason why before v1.7 it may haven't worked for everyone:
    "rm" will delete the directory and I'm not able to find out which file will be deleted first and therefore I can't prevent the deletion of the pairings as I do before!

Background:
    /system/bin/bluetoothd will remove the whole directory /data/misc/bluetoothd (well that is known and at the end the reason why the pairings gets lost in ICS)
    I "fixed" that by making the config file immutable so Android is not able to delete the directory anymore which results in the fact that the pairings will stay!
    Unfortunately it is not such easy as thought. On my second device I saw that my pairings still get lost..

Well ... As mentioned bluetoothd wants to remove and it uses "rm -r" for this. Exactly it will call "rm -r /data/misc/bluetoothd/".
    .. and "rm" uses the C function "readdir()" when it parses the directory and readdir() will give you the result randomly (it depends on several not predectivable things).
    There is no chance to know the exact order and even when it would be the case then mine would be different from yours!
    ... but that's not all. Some docs said that subdirs will be deleted first when using "rm -r" but in fact that is NOT true! If it would be true then the solution would be very easy.

The question stays why it happens on my productive phone and the previous fix still working fine on my DEV device. I believe that it is because I restored a previous made BT backup after I installed sediROM v1.6.
    The command "tar" uses the same behaviour as readdir() so it is also randomly when it comes to restoring a backup. That would explain it maybe but I'm not totally sure.

You can test that readdir() behaviour very easily. If you execute a "find . -type f -print" you will see what readdir() see.. The result is obviously unsorted.
    Execute it again and the result stays the same but that changes when files are deleted or other things happens to the filesystem!
    In my case the problem occured after enabling encryption because that changes also things related to readdir() obviously.

Further readings:
    - http://linux.die.net/man/3/readdir
    - http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/b...x/ReaddirOrder
    - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...antee-an-order

The way of finding a solution:
    - I tried to find out the root cause again (means bluez Java code).
    - I tried to port the latest v4 of the bluez stack which contains a lot of fixes.
    - I tried to re-compile bluetoothd in order to remove the whole folder deletion.
    - I tried to save/restore the settings.db sqlite3 database (alone and together with the BT files)
    - I tried some other stupid things.

The solution:
    At the end I found a working solution (again). Instead of protecting a single file only which readdir() accesses randomly I switched over to protect the whole directory.
    This way the order within the directory doesn't matter anymore
    That alone wasn't enough. I needed to completely restructure the way of handling that fix.

That means:
    - the bluetooth main.conf was changed to set InitiallyPowered=false !
    - I stop all bluetooth related processes when booting
    - I restore the previous BT settings and pairings
    - I make the BT dir(!) immutable
    - Then I give rfkill0/state the info (add a "1") that bluetooth is able to start
    - Then I start all BT processes in correct order
    - Then I remove the immutable bit from the BT dir

(Minimal) Caveats:
    - Bluetooth will from now on always beeing OFF after a restart. That is wanted and nothing really bad and is a protection that things goes right.
    After sediROM is up'n'running you can switch on BT and/or off again - only when rebooting BT will be always off again.
    - The system needs to be fully started in order to get BT working. As this is only a couple of seconds (about 10-20 sec) and starts while in boot process this has no impact for the user.

[*]What is that "adb" thing??
    • adb stands for: Android Debug Bridge and can help a lot when it comes to work with your device. It is not for developers only but they use it a lot of course.
      But a normal user can use this to exchange files without the need of mounting, backing up the device, reboot the device and use it as a very comfortable way of having a terminal emulator.
    • Normally adb itself is not available as a standalone application - it comes with the Android SDK which is very big and heavy if you want to use adb and/or fastboot (another great tool) only.
      But we live in a great world with many people wanting to make things easy so here you go when you want/need only adb and fastboot:
      download & install adb at lifehacker
      (Direct link for Windows users: Got to easy ADB install thread)

[*]What is a "nandroid" backup?
    • nandroid means essentially: "a full image of all your partitions" so it is a full snapshot of your ROM including all your apps and contents.
    • The name NANDroid is a portmanteau of "NAND" (as in Flash memory - NAND flash) and "Android." (Source)

[*]How to create a "nandroid" backup?
    • (See above for the meaning of "nandroid backup")
    • You have several options on how to do that.
      The normal and absolutely recommended way is to do that "offline" (from within recovery mode) but you can also do it "online" (while Android is running).
    • Offline nandroid backup by using TWRP recovery: Guide
      If you have no custom recovery installed read on.
    • Online nandroid backup:

by using an app:
      There is 1 (known to me) "online" nandroid backup tool available which will backup from within your running Android: PlayStore.
      I tested it and still using it since a while and I really like it but I would not fully resist on it.
      I had no problems backing up but sometimes an app is lost when restoring. This may have been fixed but well it is like imaging a running Windows or Linux system:
      Do not do it online if you can - it may/will work but there could be problems/inconsistencies later!!
      If you never made a nandroid before doing it online will not harm anything and should be your first start. So install the Online Nandroid backup tool and begin.
      Check out this guide for some hints: Guide
      (If you like the Android app do not hesitate to buy the unlock key to support the developer!)

by using commandline tools:
      First of all you need "adb" installed (check out the FAQ #8 above).
      Then you need someone who is telling you the device partition table and you need a big sized SD card to hold the images.
      The reason is that you will use a special command named "dd" which images the whole partition (not the content only!).
      dd is a VERY dangerous tool because if you use it wrong your device may get bricked so it is essential that you are using the
      correct command and check that twice!
      Check out the next FAQ on how to do this for the i927.

[*]How to create a "nandroid" backup for the i927/cappy - WITHOUT having a custom recovery?

• The whole process will take a big amount of time but it is worth to follow each step including the md5sum checks at the end.
    • Please read the previous FAQ first because there you will find more information about background and other options you may have.
    • Ensure you have a SD card inserted which is big enough and having enough free space available (4GB at least! I recommend at least 8 GB but this depends on the size of your current data partition. A completely stock ROM with nothing installed and unused will need 3 GB space).
    • Install "adb" on your pc (check out the FAQ #8 above).
    • root your device (check out FAQ #12)
    • connect with adb to your (running) i927:
      adb shell
      (you should see a prompt)
      su
      (you need to grant permission if you haven't yet)
    • Then backup your current ROM and data:
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/storage/external_SD/system.2015-07-20.img
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/storage/external_SD/boot.2015-07-20.img
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/storage/external_SD/userdata.2015-07-20.img
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/storage/external_SD/recovery.2015-07-20.img

# If you never backed up your EFS you really should do that once:
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/storage/external_SD/efs.img

Just to be sure you can do an online backup now, too ( Guide ) Online Nandroid backup App
    • copy the backup(s) to your device (connect USB cable - open your external storage and drag&drop) <--- DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!! It is absolutely essential!
    • Check your copy on your device:
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/system.2015-07-20.img
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/boot.2015-07-20.img
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/userdata.2015-07-20.img
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/recovery.2015-07-20.img
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/modemst1.img
      md5sum /storage/external_SD/modemst2.img

Download a md5sum checker like this one Windows MD5 and load each file you copied to it (on Linux the "md5sum" command can be used of course).
      compare the md5sums from the above output and ensure that they are all matching.

[*]How to root the i927/cappy?
    • There are several guides on this here are 2:
      - First or
      - Second

[*]"efs" backup and/or restore?

There are several guides on this but here is mine.

• Backup efs:

1) open a terminal
      2) type in su --> now you may need to give root permissions
      3) type in tar zcvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs
      4) type in dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/efs-dd.img
      5) connect your device to a PC and copy both the efs-backup.tar.gz and efs-dd.img to your PC
      6) now you have a full backup of your efs and therefore your phone unlock state

Step 2 is essential you need root for this in order to work.
      Normally you can see a change from a dollar $ sign to a hash # one after root has been achieved like this:

xxxxxx:/ $ > su (answering the request for root permissions with yes)
      xxxxxx:/ # >

• Restore previously saved efs:

1) open a terminal
      3) connect your device to a PC and copy your dd-image backup "efs-dd.img" to /sdcard of your device
      optional: do the same for the tar archive "efs-backup.tar.gz". This is just needed for the case the dd image is corrupt.
      4) type in the terminal dd if=/sdcard/efs-dd.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
      optional: if that step fails ensure you have mounted /efs (ls -la /efs should show you several files) and execute (press Enter after each line):
      su
      cd /
      tar xvzf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz

5) reboot your device
      6) now your efs is fully restored and therefore your phone unlock state, too

Normally you can see a change from a dollar $ sign to a hash # one after root has been achieved like this:

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Changelog

Changelog of sediROM
v2.1.0 - v2.1.2 (Release date: 2016-01-04)
--------------------------------------------------
Bugfix Release

Github detailed changelog (compared with the previous version):
https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/compare/v2.0...v2.1

Github tag for this version:
https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/tree/v2.1

Enhancements
  • introducing sediROM testsuite: /system/xbin/sediROM_testsuite.sh
    execute it like this to test if your sediROM version is fully working:
    adb push sediROM_testsuite.sh /sdcard/ && adb shell "su -c sh /sdcard/sediROM_testsuite.sh"

Fixes

YES ALL THE FOLLOWING IS > 1 < SINGLE RELEASE

v2.0.68 -v2.0.1 (Release date: 2015-12-29)
Major Release

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/compare/v1.7...v2.0

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/tree/v2.0

Enhancements
  • first sediROM app (sediROM_boot.apk) inside.. the app itself is extremely simple: a text and a button thats all. When
    sediROM boots the first time a new added init script will detect if this is the first boot and if this is the case it will open
    the sediROM_boot app. Read & follow carefully the hints there!
    you to reboot. May be annoying but due to douzends of changes in v2.0 it is really necessary to point to a clean reboot.
  • All scripts related to run sediROM on github now !!!! Starting from v1.7.
  • Introduced the first version of sediKERNEL (v1.0) a customized kernel optimized for STOCK ICS so as for sediROM.
    sediKERNEL is based on CM11 kernel made by bubor (so l2_hsic patched, no wakeup delays, OC etc) enhanced by:
    - adding MTP support for STOCK ICS!
    - less battery drain
  • default kernel = sediKERNEL v1.0
  • Upgraded AROMA from v2.56 to v2.70-RC2 (means compiling 2.70rc2 from the sources!)
  • Go DIRECTLY from the installer to the MODIFY mode!
    That means when you choosen the easy installation mode and everything went fine you will get the
    offer to open the modify mode instead of rebooting
  • No adb debugging from initial ram disk (security fix)
  • No adb debugging as default (security fix)
  • Integrated LiteKernel_l2hsicpatched-bubor-r20150506 with L2_HSIC patch included (hopefully fix battery drain)
    The kernel is based on code of 2014-04 afaik also maded by bubor
  • Integrated enhanced UCLJ3 stock Kernel (option in modify mode)
    enhancements:
  • Migrated and integrated JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130221 to sediROM (option in modify mode) which comes with the following changelog:
    (all changes between v1.2.2 to 20130221)
    - Interactive set as default governor ... Wheatley lags on AOSP
    - Added FM Radio Driver
    - Fixed Mic for AOSP
    - Fixed/Added 1.4ghz frequency
    - Fixed/Added Smartassv2
    - Removed USB Whitlists
    - Recoded BLN myself so that there is no need for an app... has in kernel blinking ...
    - Tons of Cleanup
    - XZ Kernel Compression
    - Removed Wake Lag
    - Fixed and increased Charging Current
    - Tweaked Ondemand for better performance
    - New Storage Setup
  • Migrated and integrated JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130222 (option in modify mode) which comes with the following changelog.
    HINT: MTP does not work with this kernel. I will not fix that! If you need MTP use release-20130221 or sediKERNEL!
    (all changes between r20130221 to r20130222)
    - Entropy Tweaks inspired by lambgx02s Seeder (for silky smoothness)
    - Memory Managment Tweaks
    - Added Dynamic vsync
    - Zipaligning and Fix permissions at boot (zeppelinrox script)
    - Tons of Kernel Tweaks for Battery life and Performance...
    - IO tweaks...
    - Auto EFS Backup...
    - New Experimental WIFI Management battery saving feature: If at screen off, WIFI is inactive and or using very little traffic, it gets turned off
    and then on again once you wake device, if battery level is below 50% it will no longer turn wifi on again, if you disable WIFI it will be left alone...
    - Decreased Vibration Intensity (when you boot up device you will feel a slight vibration)...
    - New Experimental CPU Management feature: Frequency get changed according to battery level....
    - No more laggy lock screen drawing ...
    - Instant wake to lock screen
    - Removed Increase Charging Current mod till more testing can be done
    - Improvements for better battery life
    - Stability
    - Option to Disable WIFI and CPU Control
    - Clear Memory after boot
    - Massive Improvements to: Performance, Battery Life
    - Fixed Battery leak with CPU + WIFI manager
    - Memory Management Improvements
    - SD card Speed Tweaks
    - Reduced Wake Lag
    - Reduced Stuttering when playing music on screen off
    - CPU-Manager is now enabled by default ... it boosts wake speed manages sleep speed and reduces max speed as your battery diminishes ... the profiles are fully modifiable and all with no battery drain ...
    - MTP is now the default pc connection ... if you want mass storage change /data/LiteKernel/MTP to "0"
    - Memory management improved .... should also help for battery life
    - frequency with Interactive governor will now stay a little lower ... should help with screen on battery life ....
  • crond (provided by busybox) activated to automatize things like in Linux
    init script 00sediROM will prepare the settings, paths etc for crond to start
    and init script 99sediROM will start the crond
  • Open Camera will be the only camera app installed by default. HD Ultra camera stays an option in modify mode.
  • added this changelog to AROMA installer screen
  • added modify option after easy install in README of the installer zip
  • updated sqlite3 binary to v3.8.7.4 (THANKS to user tech128 details: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52174054)
  • Removed all my own copyright hints and licensed all sediROM scripts under CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0) license! Freedom for everyone ;o)
  • New script header including new version concept of all sediROM scripts
  • Updated SuperSU app and binaries to v2.46
  • Installation of SuperSU is now completely based on the original installer to avoid any problems while installing
  • Added a new minimalistic terminal app AndroidTerm (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm) which replaces connectbot as default installed terminal app.
  • Connectbot will not being installed by default anymore but you can still install it in modify mode.
    Connectbot has many advantages but 1) updating within a ROM is harder then with AndroidTerm and 2) I want to keep it minimal so no ssh, telnet. only a local console.
    BACKUP Connectbot before upgrading when you still want to use it.
    If you want to continue using CB you can upgrade and at the end of the installer select "Start sediROM modify mode"
    and install Connectbot directly after installation (Screen "Main Features" - Section "Tools"). Nevertheless you still need to restore your settings as they are lost.
  • Added Ghostery (v1.2.1) - a very tiny (around 2 MB installer files), fast, stable and anonymous browser (https://www.ghostery.com/en/how-it-works). Will be installed by default!
  • Removed Google Chrome to save disk space (the installer files are 64 MB!)
    Chrome is VERY slow on our phone in comparison to other browsers (try to open several tabs & browsing) and last but not least updating it within sediROM is harder then with other browsers.
    BACKUP Google Chrome before upgrading when you do not want to loose settings.
  • Started to use a common function file for the init scripts in sediROM (/system/etc/sediROM/init.func)
  • Several new boot logs are written to /cache/*.debug which makes debugging easier (commit b053e738 and commit e3fe9332).
    After sediROM is booted fully up everything will be moved to: /preload/.sediROM/boot/.
  • Added commandline aliases/shortcuts for remounting any mountpoint as read-write (remountrw) or read-only (remountro) - handled by commit 41fcc3c6.
  • Added automatic /efs backup !!!
    - The backup is a full image dump made by dd
    - backup will be saved to /sdcard/efs_[current-date].dd
    ("[current-date]" will be replaced by the current date+ unix timestamp)
    - if somehow no timestamp could be generated the sediROM version number will be used instead
    - if the backup fails we will CONTINUE! That means the installer will not abort to ensure that you will not end with an unused device
    That also means that you should not rely on that efs backup it is a help for those not familar with the CLI only.
  • Added a "getdate.sh" script in aroma installer to filter tzdata errors
  • Added a sediROM bootanimation (NSA) and made it default
  • Removed facebook installer files from sediROM zip (was unused since the beginning) which frees some space of the ZIP

Fixes
  • on first boot bluetooth will be enabled once. This is needed to ensure that /data/misc/bluetoothd/MAC-ADRESS will be created.
    That directory is device specific and will be created by Android when not existent. As the bluetooth fix from this version on
    depending on a indicator file within this directory it is necessary to enforce its creation by enabling bluetooth once.
    This is done within the init script 00sediROM_1stbootDT.
  • (!) whenever a soft reboot or system force close has happened bluetooth has stopped working. The only workaround was to
    reboot the device. A fix was added which checks every minute if the bluetooth indicator file is there and if not the init
    script for fixing bluetooth will be restarted. This way in worst case scenario of a soft reboot crash after 1 minute latest
    Bluetooth becomes usable again (so no reboot anymore needed).
    Changes:
    - /etc/cron.d/root
    Added:
    - /system/xbin/sedi_btFCdetect.sh
  • fixing some problems with encrypted storage detection
  • due to a timing issue some early logfiles of sediROM were not got written to /sdcard. The fix was to use /preload instead:
    When sediROM boots the init script 00sediROM_first will try to mount /preload.
    If mounting /preload was successful it will be used for all logs and existing data will be moved to /preload.
    It would be nive to have a symbolic link here but this is not possible across different filesystem types. So there will be
    an indicator created in /sdcard/.sediROM with the hint to goto the /preload for logs instead.
    All scripts within sediROM were modified to check for the existence of this indicator file and dependending on that they use
    /preload or /sdcard for their logging data.
  • (!) when a soft reboot occured the bluetoothd directory gets trashed, too. If you then rebooted the empty bluetooth settings gets
    backed up and therefore you boot with emtpy BT settings. This was fixed by using an indicator file (btfix.indicator) which
    will be added after booting the first time. When a system shutdown is initiated sediROM will check for this file and as a
    soft reboot would also delete that indicator file it will detect this and backup when this indicator file is still there.
    In other words: when a soft reboot has occured you can safely reboot now and your settings will be there on the next reboot and
    not lost.
  • cosmetics within updater-script output and AROMA
  • (!) Extreme battery drain caused by Google Play Framework Service.
    This fix is a big one and splitted into 3 parts:
    1) When system booting up /system/xbin/sedi_fix-gplay-drain will be triggered by /system/etc/init.d/00sediROM_first
    2) /system/etc/init.d/00sediROM_first will also enable the cron daemon crond (coming with busybox) so we can automatize things
    "enable" crond means several things need to be setup first:
    a) creating a /etc/passwd
    b) creating /etc/cron.d/
    c) starting crond as a process
    3) With the now introduced crond we can run the script /system/xbin/sedi_fix-gplay-drain every 8 minutes.
    This is to ensure that even when Google updates (this will be done SILENTLY! by Google) it's app(s) it will be fixed again on the next cron run.
    /system/etc/cron.d/root contain's the magic line for that.
    For details checkout the original thread here:
    http://muzso.hu/2014/09/18/how-to-f...yanogenmod-11-with-google-play-services-and-o
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53881089
    http://www.imoseyon.com/2011/02/cron-on-android-is-awesome.html
  • init.d scripts cleanup. 00sediROM_tweaks in the installer package under /system was never used because always replaced by the BTfix one.
    I moved the both scripts 00sediROM_first and 00sediROM_last to /system/etc/init.d/ instead of havin them within BTfix.
    All this is firstly cosmetic only but becomes more and more important to have things clear for coding.
  • Removed the option to install Cranium & IcePop Bluetooth (was for testing purposes only)
  • compat linkage when coming back from JB now respecting it's existence. That means it will check first and do the links when needed only.
  • RNGD's init script was blocking for 30s the next boot scripts (changed to 3s intervalls)
  • changed order for the BT fix init script (from 99 to 92)
  • the 00 sediROM init script was not respecting encryption state which itself is not a problem but as the switch to /preload is happening in this
    version this has result in problems. The fix was to check for encryption state and /data/misc before proceeding
  • fixing enhancing databases coming with init script 16sqlite:
    - sqlite3 binary was not working (since literom days....!) and therefore replaced!
    - when /data and/or /sdcard is encrypted no enhancements had taken place (now respecting encryption state and wait until decrypted)
  • installer: When FULL-wiping all init scripts were not executed because of missing /preload/.sediROM and /sdcard/.sediROM. Those directories are
    created by the installer now or when they exist the following files gets deleted instead:
    - /preload/.sediROM/.initialized
    - /preload/.sediROM/dir-moved-2-preload.txt
    - /sdcard/.sediROM/.initialized
    - /sdcard/.sediROM/dir-moved-2-preload.txt
  • installer: When PARTLY-wiping all init scripts were not executed because of missing /preload/.sediROM and /sdcard/.sediROM. Those directories are
    created by the installer now or when they exist the following files gets deleted instead:
  • BETA-related (fix affects BETA release only): litekernels in modify mode could not be installed (therefore may soft bricked the phone!)
  • RFKILL switch desc added inside 92sediROM_btfix, slightly modified the log output too
  • (!) Not everything was cleaned/removed when UN-ROOT was selected. The uninstallation/unrooting will remove all related parts now including dalvik cache etc.
  • daemon mode in install-recovery.sh makes no sense in sediROM as it is not SDK 18+ and no selinux forced therefore removed
  • When switching the kernel the modules within /system/lib/modules/ were not deleted (e.g. dhd.ko) which could had caused trouble in rare situations.
    The installer now deletes all modules when switching to another kernel
  • BETA-related (fix affects BETA release only): new sediKERNEL version (v1.0 build 50). Change: wifi as kernel module instead builtin.
  • On encrypted devices the installer was not able to mount /data and /sdcard. Now it will:
    - check for the existence of dm-0 and dm-1 which are the unlocked /data and /sdcard partitions
    - when they can be found they will be mounted and used accordingly and correctly
    - when they can NOT be found an abort is raised to avoid data loss - 3 hints are given to solve the situation
    - you N--E--E--D sediTWRP - Clockworkmod cannot unlock encrypted devices and "normal" TWRP versions are not able to unlock STOCK ROM encryption!!
    --> sediTWRP can be downloaded here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3007035
  • installer: When upgrading / partial wiping the system partition will be deleted at the END now. This is to avoid data loss e.g. when you have an encrypted
    device and not unlocked the partitions in sediTWRP (or when using CWM or other "normal" TWRP versions)
  • installer: When normal installing / full / recommended wiping the system partition will be deleted after successful mount of /data and /sdcard first.
    This is to avoid data loss e.g. when you have an encrypted device and not unlocked the partitions in sediTWRP (or when using CWM or other "normal" TWRP versions)
  • installer cosmetics:
    - Easy installation description changed
    - "Recommended Wipe" renamed to "Clean install / Recommended Wipe"
    - "Partial Wipe" renamed to "Upgrade mode / Partial wipe"
  • fixes an issue where Android goes into a boot loop in rare circumstances (issue #11). In rare cases several XMLs will be zeroed out by Android when not shutdown cleanly.
    Those XML files still be there but they are empty! When Android boots up it tries to open those XMLs and as they are empty the whole boot process will hang!!!
    I fixed this by:
    - adding a new function which searches for all opened /data/system/.*xml files after a given period of time
    - after this time period a file size check will be made: if the open xml is 0 it will be renamed
    - when a renaming happened the parent process will be killed to ensure the boot process will not stop
  • moved the first boot detector to the near end of the boot process instead! That may fixes other issues as well regarding displaying the first boot app
  • better integration of the wait for system readiness while booting up (commit d0970abf6ec6c65af9999e2428b96fe293a55f17).
  • bluetooth file exchange was not working since a change in audio.conf
  • content in installer welcome screen
  • modify mode: when no kernel was selected the radio/modem force selection dialog appears
  • modify mode: removed several hard coded preselections
  • modify mode: modifying failed under some circumstances which resulted in aborting and may have left you with an unusable device

For older releases see attached file (View attachment CHANGES.log) !

Dev facts
sediROM v2.1 (Bugfix Release)
Development duration: about 8 hours
Finished on: 2016-01-04
Builds taken: 3
Changes: 2

sediROM v2.0 (Major Release)
Development duration: about 304 hours
Finished on: 2015-12-29
Builds taken: 69
Changes: 64

sediROM v1.7 (Important Bugfix Release)
Development duration: about 68 hours
Finished on: 2015-02-02
Builds taken: 7
Changes: 6

sediROM v1.6 (Important Bugfix Release)
Development duration: about 24 hours
Finished on: 2015-01-08
Builds taken: 22
Changes: 11

sediROM v1.5 (Big Maintenance Release)
Development duration: about 67 hours
Finished on: 2014-12-24
Builds taken: 24
Changes: 21

sediROM v1.1 (Bugfix Release)
Development duration: about 28 hours
Finished on: 2014-10-21
Builds taken: 15
Changes: 8

sediROM v1.0 (First Stable Release)
Development duration: about 640 hours!
Finished on: 2014-09-02
Builds taken: 58
Changes: more than 82

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Trouble?

Trouble after flashing?

• For EVERY request you have to upload the install log:
    • after every installation an automatic logfile will be saved to /sdcard/install_sediROM_vX.x.x.log where vX.x.x is the sediROM version number. Upload that log to pastebin and give me the URL.

• Flashing failed? or Download mode always coming up?

1. Download rooted stock ICS http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30421243&postcount=1
    2. Go in download mode
    3. Open Odin in Windows
    4. Select Auto-Reboot and nothing else and add in the PDA section the above ROM (unzip first - you need the tar.md5 inside)
    5. When it finishes your Glide should reboot (and Odin should say PASS). You do not need to wait if it is fully booting up and you can reboot once again in the download mode
    6. Open Odin in Windows again
    7. Flash TWRP (pretty nice gui, better handling, charging while active) or CWM (ugly gui, more robust, will NOT charge while active) over the PDA slot again (see flashing guide above for DL links)
      (I use TWRP and several reflashings etc and it is working fine for me - but keep in mind that Nandroid backups are NOT compatible between those both recovery tools so choose the one you had before. I can highly recommend that you switch to TWRP when you currently using CWM because the handling and features are great (besides flashing probs of course)
    8. For those who need more details and screenshots etc: http://unbrick.itcse.com/unbrick-soft-bricked-samsung-captivate-glide-sgh-i927/

• "no recovery kernel" displayed when trying the recovery menu?

That is easy to solve when you know the correct partition name.. That is for the glide "LNX".
    1. On Linux: Start heimdall or heimdall-frontend and simply flash a kernel back. For this you need a pit file which need to be catched first:
    2. Download PIT:
      Code:
       $> heimdall download-pit --output mycurrent.pit
    3. Flash the kernel with that catched PIT info: (Click to see an image of the heimdall frontend)
      Heimdall.png

• Flashing itself failed? Corrupted image message or /cache mount failures?
    1. Flash with TWRP instead of CWM! See the OP for the DL Link (section Howto & Download)

loosing signal / bad signal ?

• In my case I had sometimes problems with my baseband (loosing signal / bad signal) which was silly.
      I found out that this was not ROM related because happens with several ROMs and total random.. Because of that randomness it was first hard to say if it is ROM/Modem based or not.
      So if you come in such a situation and a modem change does not help I can recommend to open you Glide's back and check the SIM..
      Sometimes (not often) it can be easy: In my case a little tape fixed my problems with that because the SIM is hanging very lax in it's case..
      Maybe that little trick helps others, too ;)

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Roadmap

ROADMAP FOR sediROM

I never promise that a requested feature will be in a specific version or even added!
But you can add your ideas and wishes here if you like:
Open a Feature request (click here)

If you find a bug then it is your absolute responsibility ;) to file a bug.
You can do it here: >CLICK HERE<

Version X.x

The Roadmap has been completely moved to github:
Github Milestones

upcoming features/enhancements need to fulfill at least one of those:

1. Fixing a (real) bug or serious problem
  2. Performance optimization
  3. Battery optimization
  4. System optimization or stability

Even if your request met one ore more of those requirements I will decide on my own if it will be added or not.
If you don't like that you're free to create your own ROM ;)

On the roadmap the base of sediROM was planned as UCLJ3 but to be honest according to the thread poll (poll_results.png) I will look into the base question before starting v3 again.
The poll result is clear: It has to be stable - I don't care about the base

So I'm free to decide ;) I will look into the issues CM9 has and compare them with UCLJ3 and then I will decide which will be the base at the end.
If someone is willing to help - let me know your results, analysis!

sediROM BETA download area / file exchange
http://tinyurl.com/pv7utvl
(password protected - PM me to get access)

Last edited:

lasuazo

Aug 10, 2013
Great!!! :laugh: Downloading tonight! :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

It's great to have so many choices for people to choose from :D
I've added this to the guide of course ;D People would love using this ROM because you can be close stock and have the stability of a custom ROM!
Also I would like to remind people if you cant post bugs in the dev section,post what ROM your using and bug in my thread so we can figure it from there :)

Reactions: lasuazo

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
I believe sediROM's installer is the main show stopper atm.

but as now it is good enough to state as alpha because it is working fine in my tests (tested preseleted config only) and therefore if someone wants to help me - even when it is still a risc - write me a PM.

... and I cannot say it often enough:

1. DO A NANDROID BACKUP
  2. COPY THAT BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE TOO !!!! --> SAVED MY DAY TODAY BECAUSE OF MD5 MISMATCHES THAT CAN HAPPEN..
  3. ENSURE THAT YOUR BACKUP IS FULLY OK (e.g. md5sum -c nandroid.md5) in BOTH places (on the Glide on on your external ressource)
  4. You should have a windows box running Odin + CWM6) near - just for the case. TWRP is not such bulletproof then CWM in my case..

regards
xdajog

Meeho

Jul 17, 2012
This is great! Thank you all for the continuing support for our Glide!

Sometimes ancient is better when it was made with at least some support from the manufacturer. I'm still running GB based OsiMood as I haven't found a better alternative (because of Samsung's non-existant support for our great devs).

Reactions: organic2

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
THat Rom can install in Roger?

yes it will work on Rogers variant, too. But I cannot recommend to use sediROM when you do not have good enough english skills to understand what you need to do in case of trouble.. You need to know how you can rescue your system in case of error or problems.
I wrote a very basic troubleshooting guide in the original post of this thread.
If you still want to try write me a PM and I provide you the download link to the current testing version (v1.0.18) of sediROM.

regards
xdajog

joedeng

Jul 24, 2011
yes it will work on Rogers variant, too. But I cannot recommend to use sediROM when you do not have good enough english skills to understand what you need to do in case of trouble.. You need to know how you can rescue your system in case of error or problems.
I wrote a very basic troubleshooting guide in the original post of this thread.
If you still want to try write me a PM and I provide you the download link to the current testing version (v1.0.18) of sediROM.

regards
xdajog

I do not generally write good English but I can understand. That the rom of your development from LiteRom v0.9 rom right? On the status bar has percent battery and 14 toggle it? If the trial is still okay, right? just as there were some errors when spending alone is not

p/s Finally i will try it, you get me your link, i will test it ^^

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
I do not generally write good English but I can understand.
ok just wanted to be sure that you know what you're doing ;)

That the rom of your development from LiteRom v0.9 rom right?

Yes it is based on LiteROM v0.9 as stated in the OP. (Well atm I'm currently re-thinking this and testing a complete new build on stock ICS instead of LiteROM).

On the status bar has percent battery and 14 toggle it?
yes to both

p/s Finally i will try it, you get me your link, i will test it ^^

You have a PM ;)

Last edited:

joedeng

Jul 24, 2011
Hey i have already install your rom. It awsome, but you can add some more app. Example click Volume Up or Down wake phone. Get some launcher LG, Samsung, Sony...More theme. recent app, status bar add slide brightness......

Last edited:
Reactions: steadfasterX

joedeng

Jul 24, 2011
Today i have test, it can not share file via bluetooth...Stock ROm can do it. But Your Rom can not share file via Bluetooth....

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Call for enhancements for sediROM v2

My idea for the upcoming version v2 is:

Keep as close as possible to Stock, fix known issues, remove bloatware and enhance it by features coming from apps - and not by re-compiling sensitive things like framework etc. The only reason for touching system components would be if that would fix something but not to add features into it. An example is the Quick settings bar which is not workin as expected in LiteROM. There are apps out there (e.g. a well configured Widgetsoid bar or one of the others) who can do the same but they do not touch system files. the sames goes to Bluetooth which seems to not working (as joedeng reported) like expected but it do work in Stock.

One another very important thing to mention:
I do not want to be a full-feature-blown-containing-everything-what-is-available-ROM!

upcoming v2 features/enhancements need to fulfill at least one of those:
  • Fixing a (real) bug or serious problem
  • Performance optimization
  • Battery optimization
  • System optimization or stability

So I hope you got the idea :eek:

So as I'm currently developing both directions it would be possible to hear your thoughts about that way.
This is your chance to be part of sediROM v2 :D
So: If you have features you want to have or if know about issues within ICS STOCK Rom let me know!

joedeng

Jul 24, 2011
Send me your link v2 in my box...Whay u don't post link down in top? I think your rom it good...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    |
    |
    | sediROM - or why I created a new ROM based on good old (ancient) ICS
    |
    |
    | Read the background and the whole story and all the discussions about sediROM here:
    | http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789119
    |
    |____________________________________________________________________________________________

Some first words:
    A lot has changed since I forked LiteROM v0.9 in May 2014 and therefore started sediROM. sediROM has grown up in the meanwhile to a standalone ROM with some mods coming from LiteROM but in comparison to the current state of sediROM they are not many anymore.
    LiteROM was a very good starting point for me to dive into ROM development and doing my first steps here so many thanks going to thegreatergood, of course.
    As a result of that learning process I will change the base of sediROM in one of the next major releases (see Roadmap) to remove the rest of LiteROM stuff which I do not need/use anymore.

Summary:

• Debloated, Partially De-odexed, Zip-aligned, SuperSU, Busybox, Init.d Support, Tons of Memory and Build.prop Tweaks, Sysctl Tweaks, 14 toggles Mod, Power Menu, Tethering fix and more...
    • Aroma Install
    • Customizable Apps, Tweaks, Mods
    • BLN Support
    • Selectable Kernel, Modem, Bootanimation
    • No Samsung backdoor inside!

Full Feature List:

Explanation: Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED

Installer:
    sediROM flashing will be done by AROMA installer which gives you 2 selectable modes when starting:
    1. Easy Installation:
      This will do all the hard stuff for you and installs besides the ROM itself well tested preselected apps & enhancements.
      You need to choose this mode when you install sediROM the first time or want to install an upgraded version of sediROM.
      Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED
    2. Modify Installation:
      This mode needs an existing sediROM installation first. So you can choose the Easy Installation mode first and after that has finished simply choose this mode to modify things like the Kernel, Modem whatever. This mode can be choosen whenever you want - e.g. you can test a Kernel X and after a while you want to test another one - no problem - simply restart the Installer and choose the Modify Installation mode!

Available Kernels:
    • sediKERNEL v1.0 (Kernel 3.1.10) (see changelog for details)
    • CM11 based (Kernel 3.1.10)
    • JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130222 (see changelog for details)
    • JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130221 (see changelog for details)
    • LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU not OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
    • LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
    • LiteKernel v1.2.2 Original LiteRom v0.9 Kernel.Tweaked - LiteKernel v1.2.2 overclocked with UnderVoltage
    • LiteKernel_l2hsicpatched-bubor-r20150506 with L2_HSIC patch based on code of 2014-04
    • Stock ICS Kernel UCLJ3 (Kernel 3.1.10)
    • Enhanced UCLJ3 stock Kernel
      enhancements:
    • Stock ICS Kernel UCLH2 (Kernel 3.1.10)

Available Modems:
    • UCLJ3
    • UCKL1
    • UCLH2
    • UCKI3
    • RUXKJ5

Some meaningful Apps & Tools:
    • ATOM launcher
    • Several other launchers available in "modify" mode (Apex, Nova, ADW, Stock)
    • Ghostery, Quickpic, ES File Explorer, AndroidTerm, Vodoo Sound Control
    • Camera apps: Open Camera, HD Camera Ultra, Stock, ICS, JB)
    • Kii Keyboard, Samsung Keyboard (default enabled), Go Keyboard, Stock Keyboard

"Under the hood" - Integrated Features:
    • The possibility to execute shutdown scripts (and for boot-up but every Kernel in sediROM supports that out-of-the-box)
    • The possibility to choose a non-rooted mode! If you're running Apps which detects root (and hiding is not possible) or if you want to be most secure than this mode is for you. Enterprise users may want this to be complain with their security policy e.g.

(Major) Bugfixes (related to ICS and/or LiteRom):
    • That was driving me nuts and costs WEEKS to fix -> BT fix (better a fully working workaround) for loosing paired devices after a reboot!!!
    • Lags/waits when pressing the power button to switch the display on
    • Within Aroma installer: Many many fixes and enhancements when modifiying or/and installing the ROM to get the most out of it
    • There are many other fixes which can be found in the full changelog
    • Device encryption was not working in LiteROM. That was fixed in sediROM since v1.1.

Known issues:
    • Check the open bug reports for a complete list: Click

HOW-TO flash & Download:

Disclaimer:
    • sediROM is not fully finished nor bugfree (yet).
      [*]But is has less bugs and more features then it's fork "LiteROM" and fixes bugs within stock ICS as well.
      [*]I use it continuesly since 1th of May 2014 and sporadically developing / enhancing sediROM since then.
      Installing sediROM may result in several explosions in your garden (or in that of your neighbour) .. you have been warned!
      DO NEVER USE OPTIONS WHICH ARE MARKED AS "TESTING" IN THE INSTALLER!
      I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)

Requirements:
    • Do a nandroid backup and ensure you have an EFS backup, too !! EFS: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019540)
    • COPY THAT BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE TOO !!!! --> SAVED MY DAY TODAY BECAUSE OF MD5 MISMATCHES THAT CAN HAPPEN.. (I cannot recommend that "fixes" cursing around to simply workaround MD5 sum checking! If the md5sum mismatch you should NOT restore IMO. That may simply not work or can result in bad behaviour etc minutes later or some days later)
    • Check your backup! (e.g. md5sum -c nandroid.md5) in BOTH places (on the Glide AND on your external ressource)
    • Install TWRP(!) or migrate to it! DO NOT USE CWM - flashing may fail with CWM (and is besides that not recommended).
      DL- Link CWM: CWM v6 (click) (several users reported CWM will not work! use TWRP!)
      DL- Link TWRP: twrp v2.7.1 (click)
    • You should have a windows box running Odin + TWRP near - just for the case.

Flashing Guide:
    1. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)
    2. Copy BOTH the sediROM zip AND the sediROM md5 file to your Glide!!
    3. Boot into Recovery mode (Poweroff the device then Power on while holding Volume Down)
    4. Ensure that you use TWRP and that the MD5 sum file is in the same directory as the sediROM zip! Only then TWRP will automatically check the MD5 !
    5. Flash the latest sediROM zip file
    6. Choose "Easy Installation" mode
    7. Answer the few questions and wait until the flashing finishes
    8. When finished - reboot and wait until it has fully started up
    9. The Android setup wizard should come up (if not -> flash again
    10. Go through the wizard and reboot once again afterwards
    11. Enjoy :D
    12. Please read the FAQ (click)!
    13. Please file a bug if you encounter problems: File a bug (click here)

Take also a look on:

Best regards
    xdajog

Special THANKS (please give them a Thanks-Click ! That costs you nothing but 2 seconds (for each)!!)

PS: Happy for every single click on my "thanks" button (you are free to do that on the changelog, roadmap and faq post again... ;) )

And as an absolutely premiere I want to say thank you to maddbomber83 for the donation.
    You're the first one (until now the only one ;) ) who say thx this way. Highly appreciated and motivating.

Sources:

sediROM --> https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM
    sediKERNEL --> https://github.com/xdajog/kernel_samsung_i927

XDA:DevDB Information
    sediROM, ROM for the Samsung Captivate Glide

Contributors
    xdajog, bubor (for all his work! highly appreciated!), maddbomber83, organic2 (for heavy testing!)
    Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM

ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    ROM Firmware Required: sediTWRP or TWRP >= v2.7
    Based On: STOCK, LiteROM

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v2.1 (2.1.2)
    Stable Release Date: 2016-01-04
    Current Beta Version: ---

Created 2014-07-11
    Last Updated 2016-07-26
    FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Why another ROM and why build on ICS?
      Please read the full story here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789119

[*]Do you need to network unlock the Glide?
      Follow the excellent guide here: >Click here<
      And also take a look on my additions to it here: >Click here<

[*]When version [FILL-IN-WHATEVER-YOU-LIKE] will be released?
      Please keep in mind that this project is not a full time job so questions about a release date is something I will / can not reply to.
      This is not because I don't like you but it is because I cannot promise anything. RL is my priority and this can not be controlled (fully) as you may know ;)

[*]Is device encryption supported?
      Yes, device encryption is supported since sediROM v1.1
      You may want to check out a working TWRP version to be able to still do nandroid backups here sediTWRP with decrpytion support (click)

Hint: Device Encryption is fully supported when choosing the easy installation mode while installing.
      That means if you choose the modify mode afterwards be careful what to choose within the TWEAK section (kernel optimization/swap internal to external sdcard/...). Those are not all tested yet so do a backup before choosing them. ALSO for /sdcard! because that gets encypted to.
      If you choose the easy installation method and change only apps/kernel/modem etc you will be safe though.

[*]Can I upgrade from a previous version of sediROM?

basic* --> will be explained some lines later (pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ)

v2.0 ----> v2.1

v1.7 ----> v2.0

v1.6 ----> v1.7

v1.5 ----> v1.6

v1.1 ----> v1.6 (this is the last upgrade test for v1.1. I will not test upgrading to higher releases from v1.1!)

v1.1 ----> v1.5
      The same pre-requirements necessary as in v1.0 ---> v1.1 !

v1.0 ----> v1.1 (this is the last upgrade test for v1.0. I will not test upgrading to higher releases from v1.0!)
      Yes: tested (basic --> pls look for: "What does "tested (basic)" means?" in this FAQ).
      Manual pre-requirements necessary! To upgrade from v1.0 to v1.1 you need to wipe /system partition manually before you start the upgrade because there is a bug in v1.1 and v1.5 preventing from doing the partial wipe which normally will do that for you.
      These are the steps:
      1. Within TWRP choose the wipe menu and then "advanced". Afterwards select only "system" !
      2. Go on and afterwards start the sediROM installer again and choose "partial wipe". Because you have wiped /system manually the installation should run fine afterwards.
      3. This way you will NOT wipe any configs or apps or something as long as you leave /sdcard and /data untouched in step 1.
      4. That workaround should work even when you already tried the partial wipe in "Easy Installation" mode.

If you use L2SD here a special note: from @maddbomber83:
      Just as a note; upgrading an install that has a lot of symlinks (such as L2SD) does not appear to be working properly. If your install includes any of these then as the Developer has stated, MAKE SURE TO DO A NANDROID BACKUP!

On mine at least, the phone had a lot of FC errors focused around the PHONE APK. If you did do a data wipe and can get back into your phone but are missing your linked apps then:
      Q. I upgraded/changed my ROM and I can not see my linked apps, their files are on the 2nd partition but the system can not see the apps. How can I make them available, do I need to reinstall and relink them again?
      No, if you didn't wipe data when updating ROM the only thing you need to do is to run "Recreate mount scripts" from "menu -> more" within Link2SD and do a normal (not quick) reboot.
      If you wiped data, after executing "Recreate mount scripts" and rebooting, run "Relink all application files" from "menu -> more" and then reboot. All of your linked apps should be available again after reboot.
      If you also wiped dalvik-cache, in addition to the above step run "Link dalvik-cache files".

What does "tested (basic)" means?
      When I test upgrades I do that very basic. As the system is still the same (ICS 4.0.4) and normally no android related things changed I strongly believe that doing upgrades shouldn't harm anything. Even all the apps should work as long as you don't played around with system apps (In Titanium Backup and other tools you can make an app a system app which means it will also be copied to the /system area which will be overwritten due to the upgrade. If you have converted a user app to a system app it will be lost then). Normally you wouldn't do such a conversion but as it is possible I need to add that hint here..

When I state an upgrade path as "tested (basic)" it means that it SHOULD work but as always no guarantee ;)

My Test setup is always as follows:
      • a custom wallpaper (Home + Lock Screen)
      • added some icons to the launcher
      • set a lock screen password
      • system settings for screen timeout and screen off
      • WiFi settings for my WLAN
      • Installed Titanium Backup app
      • acquiring root permission (ES File Explorer and after "adb shell")

Upgrade guide:
      1. do a nandroid backup! <-- sigh this is VERY important do not skip that step!!
      2. copy that backup to your pc just to be sure!
      3. choose to install sediROM
      4. choose easy installation
      5. then (the upgrade magic): choose "partial wipe" !
      6. complete the rest of the installation and you're done.

[*]Screen wakeup delay?
      I have a screen wakeup delay when using sediROM! AND I use sediROM < v2.0 (e.g. v1.7).

The problem here is the default used kernel in sediROM before v2.0.
      All smaller versions uses "Litekernel" as the default kernel which is the root cause for this problem.
      Before v1.7 there is no really option for fixing this other than installing another kernel manually.
      In v1.7 you are able to switch to the CM11 kernel in the modify mode within the sediROM installer but the shipped version has issues with MTP (connecting storage to PC).
      So that is also not a workaround for everyone unfortunately but if you do not use MTP (USB mass storage works btw) this may an option for you.

Well so what is the solution?
      Install sediROM v2.0 and use the latest sediKERNEL (default in easy installation mode) or the CM11 kernel (including the MTP fix) provided by bubor or the modified STOCK UCLJ3 kernel by xdajog (me).
      All of them have no screen wakeup delay issues and working fine.
      All are available in v2.0 and you can switch between them in the modify mode as always (sediKERNEL is default since v2.0)

[*]What is that "Bluetooth HSP fix"?
      Bluetooth HSP (HeadSet Profiles) is buggy in ICS 4.0.4. All paired devices gets lost after a reboot. In sediROM there is a fix for this implemented. To be honest that fix was the reason why I started sediROM..!

It is implemented in two steps:
      1. a shutdown script which backups the bluetooth pairings and settings
      2. an init.d script on boot which restores those pairings

The problem that pairings go to hell after a reboot is kind of special. The first thought was to simply backup the correct folders and restore them again when boot up. That alone won't work - the pairings will not shown up when enabling BT afterwards because they are deleted right when BT gets enabled. I tried to find out why but without success. Then I found a way by simply protecting the BT config file. That said when BT starts up it can not delete it anymore and stops trying that and that means the restored pairings will be read and shown.. A little bit crazy I know but it works very great (in my case).

Further Readings (they may related to this issue):
      There are different caveats depending on which sediROM version you are using with the current implementation:
      sediROM >= v1.7
      Since v1.7 the BT fix is very stable and the caveats we have are absolutely minor:
      • Bluetooth will from now on always beeing OFF after a restart. That is wanted and nothing really bad and is a protection that things goes right.
      • The system needs to be fully started in order to get BT working. As this is only a couple of seconds (about 10-20 sec) and starts while in boot process this has no impact for the user.
      sediROM < v1.7
      • If you change the name in BT settings that will not be restored atm so it is sticked at "SGH-I927"
      • Under some circumstances the BT fix hasn't worked. check out the details at the bottom to find out the reason.
      sediROM = v1.5 OR sediROM < v1.5
      • If you want to delete a pairing it was restored in sediROM <v1.5 when you reboot - to completely delete a pairing you need to:
        in sediROM = v1.5:
        You don't need to do anything. If you delete a pairing or add a pairing both will be saved and no need to do anything else then reboot.
        In case you have problems you can delete /sdcard/.sediROM/btfix/00_btbackup.tar and/or check the logs in /sdcard/.sediROM/btfix/ . But that is normally not needed anymore.
        in sediROM < v1.5:
        delete "/data/local/tmp/00_btbackup.tar" and then reboot

Detailed background information
      and the reason why before v1.7 it may haven't worked for everyone:
      "rm" will delete the directory and I'm not able to find out which file will be deleted first and therefore I can't prevent the deletion of the pairings as I do before!

Background:
      /system/bin/bluetoothd will remove the whole directory /data/misc/bluetoothd (well that is known and at the end the reason why the pairings gets lost in ICS)
      I "fixed" that by making the config file immutable so Android is not able to delete the directory anymore which results in the fact that the pairings will stay!
      Unfortunately it is not such easy as thought. On my second device I saw that my pairings still get lost..

Well ... As mentioned bluetoothd wants to remove and it uses "rm -r" for this. Exactly it will call "rm -r /data/misc/bluetoothd/".
      .. and "rm" uses the C function "readdir()" when it parses the directory and readdir() will give you the result randomly (it depends on several not predectivable things).
      There is no chance to know the exact order and even when it would be the case then mine would be different from yours!
      ... but that's not all. Some docs said that subdirs will be deleted first when using "rm -r" but in fact that is NOT true! If it would be true then the solution would be very easy.

The question stays why it happens on my productive phone and the previous fix still working fine on my DEV device. I believe that it is because I restored a previous made BT backup after I installed sediROM v1.6.
      The command "tar" uses the same behaviour as readdir() so it is also randomly when it comes to restoring a backup. That would explain it maybe but I'm not totally sure.

You can test that readdir() behaviour very easily. If you execute a "find . -type f -print" you will see what readdir() see.. The result is obviously unsorted.
      Execute it again and the result stays the same but that changes when files are deleted or other things happens to the filesystem!
      In my case the problem occured after enabling encryption because that changes also things related to readdir() obviously.

Further readings:
      - http://linux.die.net/man/3/readdir
      - http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/b...x/ReaddirOrder
      - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...antee-an-order

The way of finding a solution:
      - I tried to find out the root cause again (means bluez Java code).
      - I tried to port the latest v4 of the bluez stack which contains a lot of fixes.
      - I tried to re-compile bluetoothd in order to remove the whole folder deletion.
      - I tried to save/restore the settings.db sqlite3 database (alone and together with the BT files)
      - I tried some other stupid things.

The solution:
      At the end I found a working solution (again). Instead of protecting a single file only which readdir() accesses randomly I switched over to protect the whole directory.
      This way the order within the directory doesn't matter anymore
      That alone wasn't enough. I needed to completely restructure the way of handling that fix.

That means:
      - the bluetooth main.conf was changed to set InitiallyPowered=false !
      - I stop all bluetooth related processes when booting
      - I restore the previous BT settings and pairings
      - I make the BT dir(!) immutable
      - Then I give rfkill0/state the info (add a "1") that bluetooth is able to start
      - Then I start all BT processes in correct order
      - Then I remove the immutable bit from the BT dir

(Minimal) Caveats:
      - Bluetooth will from now on always beeing OFF after a restart. That is wanted and nothing really bad and is a protection that things goes right.
      - The system needs to be fully started in order to get BT working. As this is only a couple of seconds (about 10-20 sec) and starts while in boot process this has no impact for the user.

[*]What is that "adb" thing??
      • adb stands for: Android Debug Bridge and can help a lot when it comes to work with your device. It is not for developers only but they use it a lot of course.
        But a normal user can use this to exchange files without the need of mounting, backing up the device, reboot the device and use it as a very comfortable way of having a terminal emulator.
      • Normally adb itself is not available as a standalone application - it comes with the Android SDK which is very big and heavy if you want to use adb and/or fastboot (another great tool) only.
        But we live in a great world with many people wanting to make things easy so here you go when you want/need only adb and fastboot:
        download & install adb at lifehacker
        (Direct link for Windows users: Got to easy ADB install thread)

[*]What is a "nandroid" backup?
      • nandroid means essentially: "a full image of all your partitions" so it is a full snapshot of your ROM including all your apps and contents.
      • The name NANDroid is a portmanteau of "NAND" (as in Flash memory - NAND flash) and "Android." (Source)

[*]How to create a "nandroid" backup?
      • (See above for the meaning of "nandroid backup")
      • You have several options on how to do that.
        The normal and absolutely recommended way is to do that "offline" (from within recovery mode) but you can also do it "online" (while Android is running).
      • Offline nandroid backup by using TWRP recovery: Guide
        If you have no custom recovery installed read on.
      • Online nandroid backup:

by using an app:
        There is 1 (known to me) "online" nandroid backup tool available which will backup from within your running Android: PlayStore.
        I tested it and still using it since a while and I really like it but I would not fully resist on it.
        I had no problems backing up but sometimes an app is lost when restoring. This may have been fixed but well it is like imaging a running Windows or Linux system:
        Do not do it online if you can - it may/will work but there could be problems/inconsistencies later!!
        If you never made a nandroid before doing it online will not harm anything and should be your first start. So install the Online Nandroid backup tool and begin.
        Check out this guide for some hints: Guide
        (If you like the Android app do not hesitate to buy the unlock key to support the developer!)

by using commandline tools:
        First of all you need "adb" installed (check out the FAQ #8 above).
        Then you need someone who is telling you the device partition table and you need a big sized SD card to hold the images.
        The reason is that you will use a special command named "dd" which images the whole partition (not the content only!).
        dd is a VERY dangerous tool because if you use it wrong your device may get bricked so it is essential that you are using the
        correct command and check that twice!
        Check out the next FAQ on how to do this for the i927.

[*]How to create a "nandroid" backup for the i927/cappy - WITHOUT having a custom recovery?

• The whole process will take a big amount of time but it is worth to follow each step including the md5sum checks at the end.
      • Please read the previous FAQ first because there you will find more information about background and other options you may have.
      • Ensure you have a SD card inserted which is big enough and having enough free space available (4GB at least! I recommend at least 8 GB but this depends on the size of your current data partition. A completely stock ROM with nothing installed and unused will need 3 GB space).
      • Install "adb" on your pc (check out the FAQ #8 above).
      • root your device (check out FAQ #12)
      • connect with adb to your (running) i927:
        adb shell
        (you should see a prompt)
        su
        (you need to grant permission if you haven't yet)
      • Then backup your current ROM and data:
        dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/storage/external_SD/system.2015-07-20.img
        dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/storage/external_SD/boot.2015-07-20.img
        dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/storage/external_SD/userdata.2015-07-20.img
        dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/storage/external_SD/recovery.2015-07-20.img

# If you never backed up your EFS you really should do that once:
        dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/storage/external_SD/efs.img

Just to be sure you can do an online backup now, too ( Guide ) Online Nandroid backup App
      • copy the backup(s) to your device (connect USB cable - open your external storage and drag&drop) <--- DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!! It is absolutely essential!
      • Check your copy on your device:
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/system.2015-07-20.img
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/boot.2015-07-20.img
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/userdata.2015-07-20.img
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/recovery.2015-07-20.img
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/modemst1.img
        md5sum /storage/external_SD/modemst2.img

Download a md5sum checker like this one Windows MD5 and load each file you copied to it (on Linux the "md5sum" command can be used of course).
        compare the md5sums from the above output and ensure that they are all matching.

[*]How to root the i927/cappy?
      • There are several guides on this here are 2:
        - First or
        - Second

[*]"efs" backup and/or restore?

There are several guides on this but here is mine.

• Backup efs:

1) open a terminal
        3) type in tar zcvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs
        4) type in dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/efs-dd.img
        5) connect your device to a PC and copy both the efs-backup.tar.gz and efs-dd.img to your PC
        6) now you have a full backup of your efs and therefore your phone unlock state

• Restore previously saved efs:

1) open a terminal
        3) connect your device to a PC and copy your dd-image backup "efs-dd.img" to /sdcard of your device
        optional: do the same for the tar archive "efs-backup.tar.gz". This is just needed for the case the dd image is corrupt.
        4) type in the terminal dd if=/sdcard/efs-dd.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
        optional: if that step fails ensure you have mounted /efs (ls -la /efs should show you several files) and execute (press Enter after each line):
        su
        cd /
        tar xvzf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz

5) reboot your device
        6) now your efs is fully restored and therefore your phone unlock state, too

Trouble?

Trouble after flashing?

• For EVERY request you have to upload the install log:
      • after every installation an automatic logfile will be saved to /sdcard/install_sediROM_vX.x.x.log where vX.x.x is the sediROM version number. Upload that log to pastebin and give me the URL.

• Flashing failed? or Download mode always coming up?

1. Download rooted stock ICS http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30421243&postcount=1
      2. Go in download mode
      3. Open Odin in Windows
      4. Select Auto-Reboot and nothing else and add in the PDA section the above ROM (unzip first - you need the tar.md5 inside)
      5. When it finishes your Glide should reboot (and Odin should say PASS). You do not need to wait if it is fully booting up and you can reboot once again in the download mode
      6. Open Odin in Windows again
      7. Flash TWRP (pretty nice gui, better handling, charging while active) or CWM (ugly gui, more robust, will NOT charge while active) over the PDA slot again (see flashing guide above for DL links)
        (I use TWRP and several reflashings etc and it is working fine for me - but keep in mind that Nandroid backups are NOT compatible between those both recovery tools so choose the one you had before. I can highly recommend that you switch to TWRP when you currently using CWM because the handling and features are great (besides flashing probs of course)
      8. For those who need more details and screenshots etc: http://unbrick.itcse.com/unbrick-soft-bricked-samsung-captivate-glide-sgh-i927/

• "no recovery kernel" displayed when trying the recovery menu?

That is easy to solve when you know the correct partition name.. That is for the glide "LNX".
      1. On Linux: Start heimdall or heimdall-frontend and simply flash a kernel back. For this you need a pit file which need to be catched first:
      2. Download PIT:
        Code:
         $> heimdall download-pit --output mycurrent.pit
      3. Flash the kernel with that catched PIT info: (Click to see an image of the heimdall frontend)
        Heimdall.png

• Flashing itself failed? Corrupted image message or /cache mount failures?
      1. Flash with TWRP instead of CWM! See the OP for the DL Link (section Howto & Download)

loosing signal / bad signal ?

• In my case I had sometimes problems with my baseband (loosing signal / bad signal) which was silly.
        I found out that this was not ROM related because happens with several ROMs and total random.. Because of that randomness it was first hard to say if it is ROM/Modem based or not.
        So if you come in such a situation and a modem change does not help I can recommend to open you Glide's back and check the SIM..
        Sometimes (not often) it can be easy: In my case a little tape fixed my problems with that because the SIM is hanging very lax in it's case..
        Maybe that little trick helps others, too ;)
    Changelog

Changelog of sediROM
    v2.1.0 - v2.1.2 (Release date: 2016-01-04)
    Bugfix Release

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/compare/v2.0...v2.1

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/tree/v2.1

Enhancements
    • introducing sediROM testsuite: /system/xbin/sediROM_testsuite.sh
      execute it like this to test if your sediROM version is fully working:
      adb push sediROM_testsuite.sh /sdcard/ && adb shell "su -c sh /sdcard/sediROM_testsuite.sh"

Fixes

YES ALL THE FOLLOWING IS > 1 < SINGLE RELEASE

v2.0.68 -v2.0.1 (Release date: 2015-12-29)
    Major Release

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/compare/v1.7...v2.0

https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM/tree/v2.0

Enhancements
    • first sediROM app (sediROM_boot.apk) inside.. the app itself is extremely simple: a text and a button thats all. When
      sediROM boots the first time a new added init script will detect if this is the first boot and if this is the case it will open
      the sediROM_boot app. Read & follow carefully the hints there!
      you to reboot. May be annoying but due to douzends of changes in v2.0 it is really necessary to point to a clean reboot.
    • All scripts related to run sediROM on github now !!!! Starting from v1.7.
    • Introduced the first version of sediKERNEL (v1.0) a customized kernel optimized for STOCK ICS so as for sediROM.
      sediKERNEL is based on CM11 kernel made by bubor (so l2_hsic patched, no wakeup delays, OC etc) enhanced by:
      - adding MTP support for STOCK ICS!
      - less battery drain
    • default kernel = sediKERNEL v1.0
    • Upgraded AROMA from v2.56 to v2.70-RC2 (means compiling 2.70rc2 from the sources!)
    • Go DIRECTLY from the installer to the MODIFY mode!
      That means when you choosen the easy installation mode and everything went fine you will get the
      offer to open the modify mode instead of rebooting
    • No adb debugging from initial ram disk (security fix)
    • No adb debugging as default (security fix)
    • Integrated LiteKernel_l2hsicpatched-bubor-r20150506 with L2_HSIC patch included (hopefully fix battery drain)
      The kernel is based on code of 2014-04 afaik also maded by bubor
    • Integrated enhanced UCLJ3 stock Kernel (option in modify mode)
      enhancements:
    • Migrated and integrated JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130221 to sediROM (option in modify mode) which comes with the following changelog:
      (all changes between v1.2.2 to 20130221)
      - Interactive set as default governor ... Wheatley lags on AOSP
      - Added FM Radio Driver
      - Fixed Mic for AOSP
      - Fixed/Added 1.4ghz frequency
      - Fixed/Added Smartassv2
      - Removed USB Whitlists
      - Recoded BLN myself so that there is no need for an app... has in kernel blinking ...
      - Tons of Cleanup
      - XZ Kernel Compression
      - Removed Wake Lag
      - Fixed and increased Charging Current
      - Tweaked Ondemand for better performance
      - New Storage Setup
    • Migrated and integrated JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130222 (option in modify mode) which comes with the following changelog.
      HINT: MTP does not work with this kernel. I will not fix that! If you need MTP use release-20130221 or sediKERNEL!
      (all changes between r20130221 to r20130222)
      - Entropy Tweaks inspired by lambgx02s Seeder (for silky smoothness)
      - Memory Managment Tweaks
      - Added Dynamic vsync
      - Zipaligning and Fix permissions at boot (zeppelinrox script)
      - Tons of Kernel Tweaks for Battery life and Performance...
      - IO tweaks...
      - Auto EFS Backup...
      - New Experimental WIFI Management battery saving feature: If at screen off, WIFI is inactive and or using very little traffic, it gets turned off
      and then on again once you wake device, if battery level is below 50% it will no longer turn wifi on again, if you disable WIFI it will be left alone...
      - Decreased Vibration Intensity (when you boot up device you will feel a slight vibration)...
      - New Experimental CPU Management feature: Frequency get changed according to battery level....
      - No more laggy lock screen drawing ...
      - Instant wake to lock screen
      - Removed Increase Charging Current mod till more testing can be done
      - Improvements for better battery life
      - Stability
      - Option to Disable WIFI and CPU Control
      - Clear Memory after boot
      - Massive Improvements to: Performance, Battery Life
      - Fixed Battery leak with CPU + WIFI manager
      - Memory Management Improvements
      - SD card Speed Tweaks
      - Reduced Wake Lag
      - Reduced Stuttering when playing music on screen off
      - CPU-Manager is now enabled by default ... it boosts wake speed manages sleep speed and reduces max speed as your battery diminishes ... the profiles are fully modifiable and all with no battery drain ...
      - MTP is now the default pc connection ... if you want mass storage change /data/LiteKernel/MTP to "0"
      - Memory management improved .... should also help for battery life
      - frequency with Interactive governor will now stay a little lower ... should help with screen on battery life ....
    • crond (provided by busybox) activated to automatize things like in Linux
      init script 00sediROM will prepare the settings, paths etc for crond to start
      and init script 99sediROM will start the crond
    • Open Camera will be the only camera app installed by default. HD Ultra camera stays an option in modify mode.
    • added this changelog to AROMA installer screen
    • added modify option after easy install in README of the installer zip
    • updated sqlite3 binary to v3.8.7.4 (THANKS to user tech128 details: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52174054)
    • Removed all my own copyright hints and licensed all sediROM scripts under CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0) license! Freedom for everyone ;o)
    • New script header including new version concept of all sediROM scripts
    • Updated SuperSU app and binaries to v2.46
    • Installation of SuperSU is now completely based on the original installer to avoid any problems while installing
    • Added a new minimalistic terminal app AndroidTerm (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm) which replaces connectbot as default installed terminal app.
    • Connectbot will not being installed by default anymore but you can still install it in modify mode.
      Connectbot has many advantages but 1) updating within a ROM is harder then with AndroidTerm and 2) I want to keep it minimal so no ssh, telnet. only a local console.
      BACKUP Connectbot before upgrading when you still want to use it.
      If you want to continue using CB you can upgrade and at the end of the installer select "Start sediROM modify mode"
      and install Connectbot directly after installation (Screen "Main Features" - Section "Tools"). Nevertheless you still need to restore your settings as they are lost.
    • Added Ghostery (v1.2.1) - a very tiny (around 2 MB installer files), fast, stable and anonymous browser (https://www.ghostery.com/en/how-it-works). Will be installed by default!
    • Removed Google Chrome to save disk space (the installer files are 64 MB!)
      Chrome is VERY slow on our phone in comparison to other browsers (try to open several tabs & browsing) and last but not least updating it within sediROM is harder then with other browsers.
      BACKUP Google Chrome before upgrading when you do not want to loose settings.
    • Started to use a common function file for the init scripts in sediROM (/system/etc/sediROM/init.func)
    • Several new boot logs are written to /cache/*.debug which makes debugging easier (commit b053e738 and commit e3fe9332).
      After sediROM is booted fully up everything will be moved to: /preload/.sediROM/boot/.
    • Added commandline aliases/shortcuts for remounting any mountpoint as read-write (remountrw) or read-only (remountro) - handled by commit 41fcc3c6.
    • Added automatic /efs backup !!!
      - The backup is a full image dump made by dd
      - backup will be saved to /sdcard/efs_[current-date].dd
      ("[current-date]" will be replaced by the current date+ unix timestamp)
      - if somehow no timestamp could be generated the sediROM version number will be used instead
      - if the backup fails we will CONTINUE! That means the installer will not abort to ensure that you will not end with an unused device
      That also means that you should not rely on that efs backup it is a help for those not familar with the CLI only.
    • Added a "getdate.sh" script in aroma installer to filter tzdata errors
    • Added a sediROM bootanimation (NSA) and made it default
    • Removed facebook installer files from sediROM zip (was unused since the beginning) which frees some space of the ZIP

Fixes
    • on first boot bluetooth will be enabled once. This is needed to ensure that /data/misc/bluetoothd/MAC-ADRESS will be created.
      That directory is device specific and will be created by Android when not existent. As the bluetooth fix from this version on
      depending on a indicator file within this directory it is necessary to enforce its creation by enabling bluetooth once.
      This is done within the init script 00sediROM_1stbootDT.
    • (!) whenever a soft reboot or system force close has happened bluetooth has stopped working. The only workaround was to
      reboot the device. A fix was added which checks every minute if the bluetooth indicator file is there and if not the init
      script for fixing bluetooth will be restarted. This way in worst case scenario of a soft reboot crash after 1 minute latest
      Bluetooth becomes usable again (so no reboot anymore needed).
      Changes:
      - /etc/cron.d/root
      Added:
      - /system/xbin/sedi_btFCdetect.sh
    • fixing some problems with encrypted storage detection
    • due to a timing issue some early logfiles of sediROM were not got written to /sdcard. The fix was to use /preload instead:
      When sediROM boots the init script 00sediROM_first will try to mount /preload.
      If mounting /preload was successful it will be used for all logs and existing data will be moved to /preload.
      It would be nive to have a symbolic link here but this is not possible across different filesystem types. So there will be
      an indicator created in /sdcard/.sediROM with the hint to goto the /preload for logs instead.
      All scripts within sediROM were modified to check for the existence of this indicator file and dependending on that they use
      /preload or /sdcard for their logging data.
    • (!) when a soft reboot occured the bluetoothd directory gets trashed, too. If you then rebooted the empty bluetooth settings gets
      backed up and therefore you boot with emtpy BT settings. This was fixed by using an indicator file (btfix.indicator) which
      will be added after booting the first time. When a system shutdown is initiated sediROM will check for this file and as a
      soft reboot would also delete that indicator file it will detect this and backup when this indicator file is still there.
      In other words: when a soft reboot has occured you can safely reboot now and your settings will be there on the next reboot and
      not lost.
    • cosmetics within updater-script output and AROMA
    • (!) Extreme battery drain caused by Google Play Framework Service.
      This fix is a big one and splitted into 3 parts:
      1) When system booting up /system/xbin/sedi_fix-gplay-drain will be triggered by /system/etc/init.d/00sediROM_first
      2) /system/etc/init.d/00sediROM_first will also enable the cron daemon crond (coming with busybox) so we can automatize things
      "enable" crond means several things need to be setup first:
      a) creating a /etc/passwd
      b) creating /etc/cron.d/
      c) starting crond as a process
      3) With the now introduced crond we can run the script /system/xbin/sedi_fix-gplay-drain every 8 minutes.
      This is to ensure that even when Google updates (this will be done SILENTLY! by Google) it's app(s) it will be fixed again on the next cron run.
      /system/etc/cron.d/root contain's the magic line for that.
      For details checkout the original thread here:
      http://muzso.hu/2014/09/18/how-to-f...yanogenmod-11-with-google-play-services-and-o
      http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53881089
      http://www.imoseyon.com/2011/02/cron-on-android-is-awesome.html
    • init.d scripts cleanup. 00sediROM_tweaks in the installer package under /system was never used because always replaced by the BTfix one.
      I moved the both scripts 00sediROM_first and 00sediROM_last to /system/etc/init.d/ instead of havin them within BTfix.
      All this is firstly cosmetic only but becomes more and more important to have things clear for coding.
    • Removed the option to install Cranium & IcePop Bluetooth (was for testing purposes only)
    • compat linkage when coming back from JB now respecting it's existence. That means it will check first and do the links when needed only.
    • RNGD's init script was blocking for 30s the next boot scripts (changed to 3s intervalls)
    • changed order for the BT fix init script (from 99 to 92)
    • the 00 sediROM init script was not respecting encryption state which itself is not a problem but as the switch to /preload is happening in this
      version this has result in problems. The fix was to check for encryption state and /data/misc before proceeding
    • fixing enhancing databases coming with init script 16sqlite:
      - sqlite3 binary was not working (since literom days....!) and therefore replaced!
      - when /data and/or /sdcard is encrypted no enhancements had taken place (now respecting encryption state and wait until decrypted)
    • installer: When FULL-wiping all init scripts were not executed because of missing /preload/.sediROM and /sdcard/.sediROM. Those directories are
    • installer: When PARTLY-wiping all init scripts were not executed because of missing /preload/.sediROM and /sdcard/.sediROM. Those directories are
    • BETA-related (fix affects BETA release only): litekernels in modify mode could not be installed (therefore may soft bricked the phone!)
    • RFKILL switch desc added inside 92sediROM_btfix, slightly modified the log output too
    • (!) Not everything was cleaned/removed when UN-ROOT was selected. The uninstallation/unrooting will remove all related parts now including dalvik cache etc.
    • daemon mode in install-recovery.sh makes no sense in sediROM as it is not SDK 18+ and no selinux forced therefore removed
    • When switching the kernel the modules within /system/lib/modules/ were not deleted (e.g. dhd.ko) which could had caused trouble in rare situations.
      The installer now deletes all modules when switching to another kernel
    • BETA-related (fix affects BETA release only): new sediKERNEL version (v1.0 build 50). Change: wifi as kernel module instead builtin.
    • On encrypted devices the installer was not able to mount /data and /sdcard. Now it will:
      - check for the existence of dm-0 and dm-1 which are the unlocked /data and /sdcard partitions
      - when they can be found they will be mounted and used accordingly and correctly
      - when they can NOT be found an abort is raised to avoid data loss - 3 hints are given to solve the situation
      - you N--E--E--D sediTWRP - Clockworkmod cannot unlock encrypted devices and "normal" TWRP versions are not able to unlock STOCK ROM encryption!!
      --> sediTWRP can be downloaded here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3007035
    • installer: When upgrading / partial wiping the system partition will be deleted at the END now. This is to avoid data loss e.g. when you have an encrypted
      device and not unlocked the partitions in sediTWRP (or when using CWM or other "normal" TWRP versions)
    • installer: When normal installing / full / recommended wiping the system partition will be deleted after successful mount of /data and /sdcard first.
      This is to avoid data loss e.g. when you have an encrypted device and not unlocked the partitions in sediTWRP (or when using CWM or other "normal" TWRP versions)
    • installer cosmetics:
      - Easy installation description changed
      - "Recommended Wipe" renamed to "Clean install / Recommended Wipe"
      - "Partial Wipe" renamed to "Upgrade mode / Partial wipe"
    • fixes an issue where Android goes into a boot loop in rare circumstances (issue #11). In rare cases several XMLs will be zeroed out by Android when not shutdown cleanly.
      Those XML files still be there but they are empty! When Android boots up it tries to open those XMLs and as they are empty the whole boot process will hang!!!
      I fixed this by:
      - adding a new function which searches for all opened /data/system/.*xml files after a given period of time
      - after this time period a file size check will be made: if the open xml is 0 it will be renamed
      - when a renaming happened the parent process will be killed to ensure the boot process will not stop
    • moved the first boot detector to the near end of the boot process instead! That may fixes other issues as well regarding displaying the first boot app
    • better integration of the wait for system readiness while booting up (commit d0970abf6ec6c65af9999e2428b96fe293a55f17).
    • bluetooth file exchange was not working since a change in audio.conf
    • content in installer welcome screen
    • modify mode: when no kernel was selected the radio/modem force selection dialog appears
    • modify mode: removed several hard coded preselections
    • modify mode: modifying failed under some circumstances which resulted in aborting and may have left you with an unusable device

For older releases see attached file (View attachment CHANGES.log) !

Dev facts
    sediROM v2.1 (Bugfix Release)
    Development duration: about 8 hours
    Finished on: 2016-01-04
    Builds taken: 3
    Changes: 2

sediROM v2.0 (Major Release)
    Development duration: about 304 hours
    Finished on: 2015-12-29
    Builds taken: 69
    Changes: 64

sediROM v1.7 (Important Bugfix Release)
    Development duration: about 68 hours
    Finished on: 2015-02-02
    Builds taken: 7
    Changes: 6

sediROM v1.6 (Important Bugfix Release)
    Development duration: about 24 hours
    Finished on: 2015-01-08
    Builds taken: 22
    Changes: 11

sediROM v1.5 (Big Maintenance Release)
    Development duration: about 67 hours
    Finished on: 2014-12-24
    Builds taken: 24
    Changes: 21

sediROM v1.1 (Bugfix Release)
    Development duration: about 28 hours
    Finished on: 2014-10-21
    Builds taken: 15
    Changes: 8

sediROM v1.0 (First Stable Release)
    Development duration: about 640 hours!
    Finished on: 2014-09-02
    Builds taken: 58
    Changes: more than 82
    Roadmap

ROADMAP FOR sediROM

I never promise that a requested feature will be in a specific version or even added!
    But you can add your ideas and wishes here if you like:
    Open a Feature request (click here)

If you find a bug then it is your absolute responsibility ;) to file a bug.
    You can do it here: >CLICK HERE<

Version X.x

The Roadmap has been completely moved to github:
    Github Milestones

upcoming features/enhancements need to fulfill at least one of those:

1. Fixing a (real) bug or serious problem
    2. Performance optimization
    3. Battery optimization
    4. System optimization or stability

Even if your request met one ore more of those requirements I will decide on my own if it will be added or not.
    If you don't like that you're free to create your own ROM ;)

On the roadmap the base of sediROM was planned as UCLJ3 but to be honest according to the thread poll (poll_results.png) I will look into the base question before starting v3 again.
    The poll result is clear: It has to be stable - I don't care about the base

So I'm free to decide ;) I will look into the issues CM9 has and compare them with UCLJ3 and then I will decide which will be the base at the end.
    If someone is willing to help - let me know your results, analysis!

sediROM BETA download area / file exchange
    http://tinyurl.com/pv7utvl
    (password protected - PM me to get access)