• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][James][Nora] Unofficial Lineage OS 15.1 for Moto E5 Play (beta v1.01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

elyocruck

Nov 4, 2017
It's not dead. I downloaded and used the one from this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e5/development/recovery-twrp-moto-e-5-play-james-t3796323

It works fine if you flash it after installing this rom. At least it did for me on my xt1921-3. That's the play I haven't tried the plus one on that page. If you wanna double check the boot image you can boot it from fastboot instead of flashing to be cautious. So fastboot boot boot-e5-noverity.img instead of fastboot flash boot boot-e5-noverity.img and if all well flash away. Good luck
Maybe its not down but it ask me for permissions so if u can reupload will be great bro

AesopRock127

Nov 30, 2015
Manchester, NH
Maybe its not down but it ask me for permissions so if u can reupload will be great bro
The one i am using from that link I just posted isn't down or asking for permission.... it's not from motojunkie01's g-drive

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=674106145207491035

That's the link but it's the one for the James.... I have the xt1921-3. I just noticed you posting in a nora only thread so I'm guessing this one won't help you.... what's the codename for your phone? You could try this one but I'm thinking it would be unlikely to work.

elyocruck

Nov 4, 2017
The one i am using from that link I just posted isn't down or asking for permission.... it's not from motojunkie01's g-drive

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=674106145207491035

That's the link but it's the one for the James.... I have the xt1921-3. I just noticed you posting in a nora only thread so I'm guessing this one won't help you.... what's the codename for your phone? You could try this one but I'm thinking it would be unlikely to work.

xt1944-4. Ok bro theres no problem Ill wait someone upload file i want, thanks for all

AesopRock127

Nov 30, 2015
Manchester, NH
Last edited:

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Hello can you upload no veriety kernel? It has been removed.. Please help

The no-verity kernel is not necessary for rooting. Magisk automatically disables DM-Verity. The important part is pushing the fstab.qcom file which disables force-encryption.

Sorry for the delay in responding guys, i've been AFK for the holidays.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I'm under the impression you can use this method with a stock boot.img and make your own noverity for your own phone. Check it out
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/universal-dm-verity-forceencrypt-t3817389

Sorry i couldn't be of more help

you can use Superr's Kitchen to disable DM-Verity on your boot image if you have a stock image. But as I said previously, Magisk will automatically attempt to disable DM-Verity when you flash it. so you dont really need the kernel. You DO need to flash a patched fstab.qcom file to disable force encryption though.

Reactions: AesopRock127

AesopRock127

Nov 30, 2015
Manchester, NH
you can use Superr's Kitchen to disable DM-Verity on your boot image if you have a stock image. But as I said previously, Magisk will automatically attempt to disable DM-Verity when you flash it. so you dont really need the kernel. You DO need to flash a patched fstab.qcom file to disable force encryption though.

Thanks, I realized that yesterday after i read through all 32 pages of this thread and realized it's not a necessary step, anymore at least, in fact it actually caused issues ( I believe) when going back to stock from a custom oreo. Lost my imei and baseband info, all showed as unknown, and literally had go to MetroPCS and get a new device because it was not even 30 days old and they don't know enough at my local corporate store to recognize a warranty voiding unlocked bootloader. Lol. Volte, 4g, texting and calls did not work so they warranted it out....

Has anyone had a similiar issue and FIXED the device?

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Thanks, I realized that yesterday after i read through all 32 pages of this thread and realized it's not a necessary step, anymore at least, in fact it actually caused issues ( I believe) when going back to stock from a custom oreo. Lost my imei and baseband info, all showed as unknown, and literally had go to MetroPCS and get a new device because it was not even 30 days old and they don't know enough at my local corporate store to recognize a warranty voiding unlocked bootloader. Lol. Volte, 4g, texting and calls did not work so they warranted it out....

Has anyone had a similiar issue and FIXED the device?

Yes. The same thing happened to my 1921-3. I managed to get some things working using this LOS rom, but I had to track down the OEM firmware to fix it completely. The stock firmware restoration guide had all of the files available for us to do that, but i think something happened with the OP and file access in that thread. I have XT1921-3 firmware for anyone who needs it.

AesopRock127

Nov 30, 2015
Manchester, NH
Yes. The same thing happened to my 1921-3. I managed to get some things working using this LOS rom, but I had to track down the OEM firmware to fix it completely. The stock firmware restoration guide had all of the files available for us to do that, but i think something happened with the OP and file access in that thread. I have XT1921-3 firmware for anyone who needs it.
When I found the stock firmware I posted it and a little guide for newer users https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e5/how-to/rom-stock-android-8-0-0-rom-moto-e5-t3871046

Reactions: weakNPCdotCom

borksek

Aug 7, 2017
Blekinge
The no-verity kernel is not necessary for rooting. Magisk automatically disables DM-Verity. The important part is pushing the fstab.qcom file which disables force-encryption.

Sorry for the delay in responding guys, i've been AFK for the holidays.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I know that. But encryption makes it annoying to boot with it rebooting sometimes

Fobos531

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 6, 2014
/home/
Moderator information

Using banned member's work as a base is fine, but straight up sharing it is NOT ok.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 15.1 (Beta v1.01) originally for Moto E5 Play (james) working on Moto E5 (Nora)

Very Important!!!!

I've just found the way to boot sucessfully LOS 15.1 on nora_row, the ROM was originally made by @MotoJunkie01, so I'm not taking this ROM as mine, I've mentioned that I'm not a dev, I just love to share what I found, I hope this won't cause any problem and it will be useful for you guys.

Previously I've shared how to root Moto E5 (Nora) because there wasn't any specific info for that variant, TWRP and Root Guide was only for Play/Plus, and then after some attemps, I finally found a way to use TWRP and how to flash LOS 15.1

Disclaimer

I'm not responsible for any dead SD cards/phones
    If your phone turns into a nuclear bomb
    If your dog/cat complain about you

Advertisment

The ROM is working almost fine but "Keep in mind that I have XT1944-2" also it is a beta ROM and if my previous guide of root didn't work properly, you shouldn't try to install it, because it may result on a brick or something else, as always is mentioned, try by your own risk.

BUGS

Working:

RIL
    Bluetooth
    WiFi

Not Working:

Camera

You tell me

Requirements

1. The most important and obviously, unlocked bootloader, a computer, and just basic knowldge

2. Stock ROM zip, in case of something is wrong and because you'll need to extract boot.img, here are the links and a guide to recover your phone in case of brick: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e5/how-to/firmware-moto-e5-xt1944-4-dual-sim-t3820901

3. TWRP recovery. You can get it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e5/development/recovery-twrp-moto-e-5-play-james-t3796323

4. You may wonder how to install TWRP, I must admit that it's not possible on Nora (causes brick) but searching here in XDA I've found that you can boot into TWRP without installing and also if you make a backup it will work in case of emergency

5. Platform tools folder that contains fastboot and adb drivers (your boot.img must be extracted here): https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3c8rev5e40gy5b/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip?dl=0

6. Remember to put the ROM and Gapps on your SD:

ROM: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F2rC7zIZPqod3vMC1t22uhNYMQbf56K6

Gapps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rHf5XIs7XK3kWFFLekjrK0ub_bKnSlUI

Instructions

1. First of all boot into bootloader or fastboot (power & volume down) and connect your phone to your PC

2. At this point it is supposed that you have downloaded platform tools folder and all necessary zips (stock ROM, LOS, gapps), then inside the folder press Shift+Right Click, and select "open CMD window here" for Windows 7, on Windows 8 and up just click "Archive", then when CMD it's open, type: fastboot boot twrp_james.img Your phone automatically will reboot into TWRP.

3. The recovery will delay 1 or 2 minutes to start and it will ask us for our key to decrypt data. Just press cancel, because we don't have that key, and that option is not working and swipe to allow modifications. Don't mount anything, what it is already mounted is fine, only you can mount SD Card, in case that is not mounted, if you don't have a SD Card you wouldn't be able to make a backup

4. Go to backup section, and choose SD Card to put your backup there, remember that the Backup couldn't be saved on Internal Storage because the ROM will wipe Internal Storage and System, then if you choose all the partitions nothing wrong would happen, but if you are not pretty sure, just skip data and cache

5. The time that TWRP will took to backup depends on the things that you have on your system (Ignore red letters that show some errors)

6. Then go to Wipe section and swipe to perform a factory data reset. Now, select Wipe and then Format Data, and follow all prompts to commence formatting and then go to reboot section and choose bootloader because remember that TWRP is not installed and we nned to reboot the recovery, then use again CMD to boot into TWRP

7. Then we are again on TWRP, then press Install, select SD Card and look for the ROM zip and Gapps and swipe to flash, it's very fast the installation, wait until it finish and reboot your device into bootloader, It will be with red letters, but don't be affraid.

8. Another important thing, that ROM, contains boot.img from Moto E5 Play, that's what I told you, that you will need to use boot.img from stock ROM, then go to Platform Tools Folder and again open CMD (Shift+Left Click for W7) and type: fastboot flash boot boot.img Wait until it finish and type fastboot reboot

9. And that's all, first boot will delay, be patience. Additionally I couldn't find a way to skip force encrypt, so the phone will be encrypted and it will reboot, sometimes if you reboot the ROM it would reboot again, it's normal, As this ROM it's unnofficial it will show tha your device is uncertified but you can hide that notifications and use your phone normally.

Magisk, Xposed and Substratum work, but choose carefully what are you going to install because some modules will cause problems or a bootloop, if you need some help write your comments and experiences. YouTube for some reason open but didn't shows anything.

THANKS & MENTIONS:
    Thanks to @SuperR. for his awesome Windows Kitchen;
    Thanks to @CodyF86 for breaking ground and building TWRP for the james;
    Thanks and credits to @phhusson for his Phh-Treble Vanilla GSIs;
    Thanks to @Deivid_21 for sharing working gapps
    Thanks to the entire LineageOS team;
    Here is a no-verity kernel for the xt1944-2 Moto E5
    From Build No. OPP27.91-25

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NcyuFRgvvRiS5MT5Jxl3uS3XHCnULBMc/view?usp=drivesdk

In case anybody needs it.
    This is great news. Slowly but surely, development for the entire Moto E5 series is growing. Great work on this OP.
    Yeah thank you, but I was unable to find a no verity kernel for E5, Play and Plus have got it, but this one not, then thanks for sharing a LOS 15.1 it's cool just the only bug was the camera but because of that encryption the ROM became laggy, I wish I could have a good computer to compile but well it seems to hard, anyway i hope more coming ROMS because it's sad that LOS 16 it's already released and we hardly have got just one but it's appreciated the time and effort for this one
    Yeah that's my dilemma as well. I have neither the time nor regular access to a high quality machine to compile. I have a port for Lineage 16.0 for the E5 Play which boots and functions somewhat. When I can smooth some things out and get it a bit more stable, I'll post it as well.
    You should post a no-verity kernel for the E5 for others to use. It would be appreciated I'm sure.
    For real? I would really love to test Pie, pls upload it, then I'm trying to post a no-verity kernel but then how am I going to extract the necessary things? I had seen a tutorial to unpack boot.img but then I don't know how to disable dm vrity or where are the files located on Moto E5 Play/Plus kernel
    Here is an easier method -- install the stock boot image on your device using either fastboot or TWRP. Then, in TWRP, install this boot image patch script -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oLrNL3OYhwlCCLOtLdQEQM4tGsIucsPQ/view?usp=drivesdk
    It will unpack, patch, repack and flash the modified boot image back to your boot partition, disabling dm-verity. Then use TWRP to make a backup of your /boot partition. Using a file manager, rename the backup from boot.emmc.win to boot.img and you're done. You'll then have a no-verity kernel in boot.img format. The file can then be installed by other members using fastboot or TWRP.
    Once you're done, you can simply use TWRP to reinstall or restore your previous ROM configuration.