• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][james] Unofficial Lineage OS 15.1 for Moto E5 Play (beta v1.01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
I have the same problem with the camera with GSI roms on a motorola e5 plus (rhannah). I get the impression that Motorola has something not standard in its handling of cameras of this family of devices
The camera problem with most Motorola devices running custom ROMs is that Android source code is open source and readily available to the public. The hardware drivers/blobs for the cameras themselves are not typically open source, although some OEMs are slowly open sourcing this type of code. So if a developer does not have access to the actual hardware blobs for the camera, the tedious process of creating custom shims must be undertaken. Extremely tough to do.
I should mention that @phhusson has a camera fix for Lineage 15.1 on Moto E5 Play, but he stated early in the thread that he has not done a commit for this fix as of yet.

Reactions: avilav and tbirdguy

avilav

Aug 1, 2014
The camera problem with most Motorola devices running custom ROMs is that Android source code is open source and readily available to the public. The hardware drivers/blobs for the cameras themselves are not typically open source, although some OEMs are slowly open sourcing this type of code. So if a developer does not have access to the actual hardware blobs for the camera, the tedious process of creating custom shims must be undertaken. Extremely tough to do.
I should mention that @phhusson has a camera fix for Lineage 15.1 on Moto E5 Play, but he stated early in the thread that he has not done a commit for this fix as of yet.

Camera is fixed in last Resurrection remix. :eek:

allenjthomsen

Nov 17, 2010
Oregon
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I've managed to install the ressuretion remix gsi and still no data on that either I'm thinking it's boot.img related somehow based on my knowledge maybe we need a custom kernel or ril files from stock moved to the gsi's

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

RR doesnt show the nav buttons on 1921-3...
that still just an edit to build.prop? or do i need to flash /vendor in the light of a harvest moon, with eye of newt and a drop of milk from a virgin titty....

It's under settings then configurations then navigation then turn it on

Reactions: tbirdguy

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
On the data and camera issues, I believe these are related to the boot image, which is taken from the most current stock build for this device. I have some extra time this weekend so I'm going to do some debugging and try to iron these out. It appears that these major bugs may be due to lib issues between the kernel and the system directory.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbirdguy

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
Before trying, I make it boot on Moto E5 XT1944-2 but the only issue is that there isn't any no-verity kernel for E5 normal, and camera is not working as it is said, but at least it boot, I've just need to flash stock image

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
[how to make gapps work? because device is uncertified by Google
edited
I've installed Gapps Go that's why didn't work, then tried new ones and worked fine

Last edited:

tbirdguy

Feb 14, 2010
Springfield
I've managed to install the ressuretion remix gsi and still no data on that either I'm thinking it's boot.img related somehow based on my knowledge maybe we need a custom kernel or ril files from stock moved to the gsi's

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

It's under settings then configurations then navigation then turn it on

thanks for that...

shyler.casavant

Sep 1, 2018
Update on flash! 15.1 e5 play motorola - sprint variant

MOTOJUNKIE - Followed the directions and flashed this ROM and TWRP successfully to my Motorola E5 play. 03 September 2018.

Bugs noted -
1. Camera - Does not function.
2. TWRP cannot decrypt the flash storage for read / write in recovery (even with correct password and/or pattern.)
3. adb - non operational at this point.
4. Carrier data - non operational at this point.

Currently downloading the source for -
1. LineageOS 15.1
2. AOSP 8.1.0_R43

I'd like to try and get all of these issues solved. Maybe we can collaborate or work together on this.
PM me - I'm very new to this - but willing to help out and test if I can!

Did you use codyf86's device tree from github for your LineageOS build?

Guys please provide feedback and feel free to contribute on this. I have more custom ROMs on the way such as ResurrectionRemix, PixelExperience, and AOSP-Extended. But I don't have a lot of free time to maintain ROMs, so I'm going to need help ironing out bugs and compiling patches.

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
MOTOJUNKIE - Followed the directions and flashed this ROM and TWRP successfully to my Motorola E5 play. 03 September 2018.

Bugs noted -
1. Camera - Does not function.
2. TWRP cannot decrypt the flash storage for read / write in recovery (even with correct password and/or pattern.)
3. adb - non operational at this point.
4. Carrier data - non operational at this point.

Currently downloading the source for -
1. LineageOS 15.1
2. AOSP 8.1.0_R43

I'd like to try and get all of these issues solved. Maybe we can collaborate or work together on this.
PM me - I'm very new to this - but willing to help out and test if I can!

Did you use codyf86's device tree from github for your LineageOS build?
Thank you for your feedback on the ROM. On your decryption issue, you will need to modify the fstab file in your /vendor partition in order to disable force encryption, since fstab is no longer part of the boot image. @CodyF86's root and TWRP thread for the Moto E5 Play should offer guidance on this. The camera commits have not been added to the GitHub repository as of yet, but the camera has been fixed. When commits are added I will patch the ROM. I am presently working on RIL/data connectivity issues myself. On your ADB issue, I'm not experiencing any issues on my end, so I'll need to look into that problem further.

konradsa

Feb 22, 2013
Thanks for your efforts everybody, awesome work. What is required to get this working for the Moto E5 T-Mobile variant XT1921-3? I'd really like to have Lineage OS running on mine.

wihzard

Feb 13, 2009
I want to see about getting the Boost Mobile Moto E5 Plus on something like HavocOS, it was my personal favorite from when I had the Moto G5S Plus for the customization options, Omniswitch, and portrait camera.

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
Good news guys, I've installed Pie GSI on my Moto E5 XT1944-4 and it boot, then camera is working, I've just got only graphics issues but the other things are working fine

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
does anybody know how to reduce lag? I've tried editing build.prop but it doesn't works, all Treble roms I've tried are a little bit laggy

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
What version of GApps are you guys using with this rom? I am using OpenGApps and I had to register the device to stop getting the uncertified device message, and Google Play Services crashes a lot. It is also impossible for me to add another user to the phone because Play Services Crashes and then spams me with more uncertified device messages on the user setup screen.

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
If you Install Resurrection Remix Official camera, works fine at least on XT1944-4, also AOSP and Pixel Experiencie P works and camera also, but camera is dark on AOSP, and on Pixel is more clear, then both have glitches with graphics but are in a certain way smooth, ah forgot to mention for those who had issues with Gapps, try to install latest Play Services Beta and try to get Device Id with an apk then register, or if it is already registered just reboot, wait until it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 15.1 (Beta v1.01)
    for Moto E5 Play (james)
    Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile/Sprint Variants

LineageOS 15.1 is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1.0 Oreo, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) with extra contributions from a myriad of developers and enthusiasts within the Android community. LineageOS can be used without need of having any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is slowly being open sourced.

LineageOS Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    LineageOS Changelog: https://www.cmxlog.com/15.1
    LineageOS Gerrit Code Review: https://review.lineageos.org/#/q/status:open

Kernel Source Code MSM8920: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-OCP27.91-23

This is a LineageOS 15.1 build based on Project Treble. More specifically, it is based on XDA Recognized Developer @phhusson's Phh-Treble and his ARM32 Vanilla GSI. Because the Moto E5 Play is officially supported by Project Treble, I have taken the vanilla GSI and made it bootable for our device. Along with a modified kernel from the stock Android 8.0.0 OS, I've compiled a TWRP flashable Lineage 15.1 custom ROM for the james. This vanilla ROM is very much bare-bones -- no GApps, no SU addon, etc. -- and is likely chocked full of bugs at this time. So, without further ado.....

DISCLAIMER: Your warranty is hereby null, void, and held for naught. By proceeding further, you are assuming full responsibility for any good or bad consequences which may result from flashing this ROM. While I have installed and tested this ROM on my own device, and can confirm boot up and basic functionality, I cannot yet elaborate on bugs and other types of instabilities. This is truly a work in progress at this point. So, to sum it up, FLASH THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am hereby absolved of any liability from bricked, damaged, or otherwise inoperable devices.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Android Version: 8.1.0
    Build: OPM2.171026.006
    Kernel Version: 3.18.71
    Security Patch Level: June 5, 2018
    Build Date: June 26, 2018
    LineageOS API: llama (9)
    Created: Thu, July 29, 2018 15:00:00

REQUIREMENTS/INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. First and foremost, an unlocked bootloader is necessary;
    2. TWRP custom recovery installed and force encryption disabled. Please visit @CodyF86's thread on how to do this, and please be sure and hit the THANKS button if you used his work;
    3. Download the ROM zip from the below download link and store it on external device storage;
    4. Boot your device into TWRP recovery;
    5. Select Wipe, and swipe to perform a factory data reset. Now, select Wipe and then Format Data, and follow all prompts to commence formatting;
    6. Reboot Recovery (often necessary to ensure proper mounting of /userdata after formatting the partition;
    7. Select Install, navigate to the location of the ROM zip, and swipe to commence installation;
    8. Reboot System (1st boot up can take around 3 minutes or more);

NOTE: This vanilla ROM does not include GApps so, if you want GApps, visit https://opengapps.org/ and download a package of your preference. If installing GApps, simply flash the package during the above installation process after Step 7, then Reboot System.

BUGS:
    Working:
    RIL
    Bluetooth
    WiFi

Not Working:
    Camera

Please properly report bugs, with submission of a bug report if you know how. If not, please give a clear and concise explanation of the bug. NOTE: Please DO NOT report bugs if you are running modifications such as Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, etc. This makes it nearly impossible to pinpoint, troubleshoot and fix bugs and instabilities. Also, please know that I am not a ROM maintainer for Project Treble or LineageOS. So, while I will do my best to resolve bugs and provide some bug fixes and updates, please do not ask for ETAs. I work 55+ hours a week at Motorola Mobility, LLC., so I don't always get a lot of free time.

THANKS & MENTIONS:
    Thanks to @SuperR. for his awesome Windows Kitchen;
    Thanks to @CodyF86 for breaking ground and building TWRP for the james;
    Thanks and credits to @phhusson for his Phh-Treble Vanilla GSIs;
    Thanks to the entire LineageOS team;

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    LineageOS 15.1 (Beta v1.01): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TPl879IQvVH2ajYG6ZJ2kobp_rMgRfE5
    Oh, thanks for nora, too ? ?
    Yes for Nora, Hannah, RHannah, PettyL, James, RJames, etc. I have a firmware source for these as well.
    Looks like we do without for the time being. I have most of the James firmwares and ROMs that I downloaded when MotoJunkie01 was active. I am working to try and renew some of these links and threads. I am new to XDA so I have to get established to post threads and links. I'm almost there. Be patient my friend and I'll do what I can to help.
    Guys please provide feedback and feel free to contribute on this. I have more custom ROMs on the way such as ResurrectionRemix, PixelExperience, and AOSP-Extended. But I don't have a lot of free time to maintain ROMs, so I'm going to need help ironing out bugs and compiling patches.
    Thanks for your work. Would this Lineage ROM work for the T-Mobile variant of the E5 Play (XT1921-3)?
    Not likely. There's no real danger in trying it because my installer does not flash sensitive partitions, but only /system & /boot. While I don't perceive any chance of bricking your device, it would be at your own risk. You would be better off flashing your device with a Treble GSI. While this ROM is technically based on a Project Treble GSI, I done some mods to the stock boot image and compiled the installer from porting. Hence, the ROM should not be characterized as a GSI itself. By the way I do have firmware for the xt1921-3, which I will be posting in my Moto E5 firmware thread over the next couple days.