[ROM][james] Unofficial Lineage OS 15.1 for Moto E5 Play (beta v1.01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
This rom will be available for nora_row XT1944-2? cos are almost the same talking about processor and few things

rehannasim

Jul 3, 2018
thanks

I can only confirm compatibility with the xt1921-5. But before trying it, as you have correctly noted, it is crucial to have a suitable backup of your /system and /boot partition, just in case anything goes wrong. Most times, backups are made using a custom recovery such as TWRP. However I'm not familiar with your variant and therefore do not know of a working TWRP for your device. I will check my firmware archive and see if I can find a package for your model.
Update; unfortunately, at this time I cannot find firmware or custom recovery for your variant. I would urge you to post under the Q&A thread and ask if any members have your model.
thanks

tbirdguy

Not likely. There's no real danger in trying it because my installer does not flash sensitive partitions, but only /system & /boot. While I don't perceive any chance of bricking your device, it would be at your own risk. You would be better off flashing your device with a Treble GSI. While this ROM is technically based on a Project Treble GSI, I done some mods to the stock boot image and compiled the installer from porting. Hence, the ROM should not be characterized as a GSI itself. By the way I do have firmware for the xt1921-3, which I will be posting in my Moto E5 firmware thread over the next couple days.

Im waiting on the firmware for the xt1921-3,
i flashed this LoS to mine and it boots and works, but gapps causes havoc with play services crashing continuously, and the stock text app doesnt work, but calls and data are fine

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
Unfortunate news on XT1921-3 firmware. After several tries of downloading it, the archive package is corrupt. As soon as I can get ahold of a solid package I will post it in the firmware thread.

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
Im waiting on the firmware for the xt1921-3,
i flashed this LoS to mine and it boots and works, but gapps causes havoc with play services crashing continuously, and the stock text app doesnt work, but calls and data are fine
You may want to experiment with some different GApps packages. And, though I'm sure you already know, Google's Messages app should work fine for SMS/MMS messaging.

Reactions: tbirdguy

tbirdguy

You may want to experiment with some different GApps packages. And, though I'm sure you already know, Google's Messages app should work fine for SMS/MMS messaging.

i tried several, but play services always crashed...( i read that gapps packages and treble based roms have issues unless baked in) i tried a Resurrection Remix GSI and the nav buttons didnt come up, so i couldnt get a GFS device id for play to work... tried reverting to one of the stock roms (I thought my nandroid was corrupt, just needed to use fastboot to clear cache and what not) found here and they were all for the -5 and didnt detect my sim...
right now im back on stock, with twrp working, but i cant root because the kernel posted on that thread doesnt boot on my phone (assuming its -5 not -3)

Last edited:

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
i tried several, but play services always crashed...( i read that gapps packages and treble based roms have issues unless baked in) i tried a Resurrection Remix GSI and the nav buttons didnt come up, so i couldnt get a GFS device id for play to work... tried reverting to one of the stock roms (I thought my nandroid was corrupt, just needed to use fastboot to clear cache and what not) found here and they were all for the -5 and didnt detect my sim...
right now im back on stock, with twrp working, but i cant root because the kernel posted on that thread doesnt boot on my phone (assuming its -5 not -3)
Ok. Another idea. Instead of using an actual GApps package, use apkmirror.com and manually download and install your Google Play Services and Google Framework. Once working, convert your core GApps into system/priv-app.

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
"I been in this gave for 10 years makin rap tunes... ever since honeys been wearin sassoon"

Yea man i am definetly sure, although I will say im confused as to why this runs 32 bit when the soc is 64
Haha. You broke out some Dr Dre on me there. And that's why I was asking you on the architecture. This is one of these oddball devices with a 64 bit SoC for which Motorola Mobility has opted to implement 32 bit firmware. You obviously know your CPUs, but you'd be surprised how many people try to install arm64 GApps on this device.
Have you tried any alternative GApps packages, like Banks GApps or any of those? Although the crash error appears to be in the ROM and not the GApps config. If you could send me a bug report on the force crashing of GApps I could try to debug the issue.

Last edited:

tbirdguy

Haha. You broke out some Dr Dre on me there. And that's why I was asking you on the architecture. This is one of these oddball devices with a 64 bit SoC for which Motorola Mobility has opted to implement 32 bit firmware. You obviously know your CPUs, but you'd be surprised how many people try to install arm64 GApps on this device.
Have you tried any alternative GApps packages, like Banks GApps or any of those? Although the crash error appears to be in the ROM and not the GApps config. If you could send me a bug report on the force crashing of GApps I could try to debug the issue.

just trying let you know i been around for a minute,
not a dev but i need to be, solve my own problems instead of beggin lol...
but no i haven tried any but the official gapps, but i figure since the gsf causes crashes, thats the issue... and as far as im aware all the repacks use the same framework (PLEASE PLEASE tell me Im wrong)

and ill get u a logcat as soon as im able, im honestly sick of not having root (longest ive had phone with no root, so no titanium backup or data backup) and reinstalling apps just to redo all of it SUCCCS

Im also still trying to wrap my head around the force encryption nonsense and would prefer at this point to not have to deal with that

Has anyone tried to use the magisk kernel patcher thing to patch tmob kernel yet, thats my next move, but Ihavent got time to try it at the moment...
***edit i just tried and when I try to select the boot.img from twrp backup its doesnt patch anything, no errors or anything just ask me if i want to install the zip in a loop

Thanks again for all you been doing man, I really appreciate the help and the help i see you doing in the forum in general...

Last edited:

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
just trying let you know i been around for a minute,
not a dev but i need to be, solve my own problems instead of beggin lol...
but no i haven tried any but the official gapps, but i figure since the gsf causes crashes, thats the issue... and as far as im aware all the repacks use the same framework (PLEASE PLEASE tell me Im wrong)

and ill get u a logcat as soon as im able, im honestly sick of not having root (longest ive had phone with no root, so no titanium backup or data backup) and reinstalling apps just to redo all of it SUCCCS

Im also still trying to wrap my head around the force encryption nonsense and would prefer at this point to not have to deal with that

Has anyone tried to use the magisk kernel patcher thing to patch tmob kernel yet, thats my next move, but Ihavent got time to try it at the moment...
***edit i just tried and when I try to select the boot.img from twrp backup its doesnt patch anything, no errors or anything just ask me if i want to install the zip in a loop

Thanks again for all you been doing man, I really appreciate the help and the help i see you doing in the forum in general...
No problem my friend. Anytime. As you likely know already, force encryption is traditionally enabled/disabled within the kernel fstab file. Similarly, dm-verity is a kernel component. With the Moto E5 series (and I assume in Oreo source code), force encryption is no longer associated with the kernel. The fstab file is now located in the /vendor partition. Therefore, patching the boot image on a Moto E5 device has no effect in disabling force encryption; although patching the boot image does still disable dm-verity/AVB 1.0 - 2.0. The best method I've found to disable force encryption on this newer configuration is to adb mount the /vendor partition as r/w, adb pull the fstab file, edit fstab to disable force encryption, then adb push the modified fstab back to /vendor. Of course, it is still imperative to format the /userdata partition after the process.
I think you are likely correct -- that pretty well all GApps packages are repacked using the same type of core framework. Oddly however, sometimes Banks GApps or Minimal GApps will work on a device which incurs problems with Open GApps packages. Admittedly, I have no idea why.

Last edited:

tbirdguy

I tried the universal zip here,
https://xdaforums.com/android/software/universal-dm-verity-forceencrypt-t3817389

all 62 times I tried it, it worked great.

i get "cant mount /vendor" error which i get anytime i try flashing and root app... I feel like a noob and like im missing something obvious (last phone ive played with is android 6, so alot of this is new to me...)

I did get a treble GSI to work and got device ID to run and got the device ID registered and was running without GSF errors, but I NEED A CAMERA OR WORK LOL... so back to stock... no root :(:(:(:(:(

also, since ive unlocked my bootloader and didnt backup my stock one, the OTA update wont take and keeps rebooting my phone and erroring out and sitting at twrp at random times...
so if the -3 full rom becomes available I would greatly appreciate it...
I've tried the bootloader from the cricket rom, but when I re-lock the bootloader it no longer boots to the the rom, just reboots into the bootloader...
I feel like this is my 1st day doing all this when I've been around since the Nexus 1...

Last edited:

Starkiller2

May 2, 2018
phoenix
i get "cant mount /vendor" error which i get anytime i try flashing and root app... I feel like a noob and like im missing something obvious (last phone ive played with is android 6, so alot of this is new to me...)

I did get a treble GSI to work and got device ID to run and got the device ID registered and was running without GSF errors, but I NEED A CAMERA OR WORK LOL... so back to stock... no root :(:(:(:(:(

also, since ive unlocked my bootloader and didnt backup my stock one, the OTA update wont take and keeps rebooting my phone and erroring out and sitting at twrp at random times...
I've tried the bootloader from the cricket rom, but when I re-lock the bootloader it no longer boots to the the rom, just reboots into the bootloader...
I feel like this is my 1st day doing all this when I've been around since the Nexus 1...

Oh I get it. This was my first Motorola. My first attempt at rooting it, I soft bricked it for over a month. Finally got it working again, flashed it back to stock firmware, and boom. Gone. Imei 0. Seems silly to bring it back from the dead only to kill it forever with stock. Still not sure how I did it. Either way, it's on its way to the dump and I'm waiting for a new one. In the meantime the old Nextels are sounding better and better lol

tbirdguy

Oh I get it. This was my first Motorola. My first attempt at rooting it, I soft bricked it for over a month. Finally got it working again, flashed it back to stock firmware, and boom. Gone. Imei 0. Seems silly to bring it back from the dead only to kill it forever with stock. Still not sure how I did it. Either way, it's on its way to the dump and I'm waiting for a new one. In the meantime the old Nextels are sounding better and better lol

well i had a whole reply wrote and google ate it...

so ill just repeat this part; I feel like im coming off iphones into a whole new world when I been around this block a ton

Nexus one multicolor track ball FTW...

Starkiller2

May 2, 2018
phoenix
well i had a whole reply wrote and google ate it...

so ill just repeat this part; I feel like im coming off iphones into a whole new world when I been around this block a ton

Nexus one multicolor track ball FTW...

Omg track balls! I miss those. When I switched to touch screens, they refused to recognize me as human. My phone was just a box I cursed at. Lol

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin

The -3 full ROM is available. https://xdaforums.com/moto-e5/development/rom-stock-android-8-0-0-rom-moto-e5-t3806530
And don't beat yourself up. With these newer Moto smartphones, and Android Oreo source code in general, a great many things have changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 15.1 (Beta v1.01)
    for Moto E5 Play (james)
    Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile/Sprint Variants

LineageOS 15.1 is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1.0 Oreo, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) with extra contributions from a myriad of developers and enthusiasts within the Android community. LineageOS can be used without need of having any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is slowly being open sourced.

LineageOS Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    LineageOS Changelog: https://www.cmxlog.com/15.1
    LineageOS Gerrit Code Review: https://review.lineageos.org/#/q/status:open

Kernel Source Code MSM8920: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-OCP27.91-23

This is a LineageOS 15.1 build based on Project Treble. More specifically, it is based on XDA Recognized Developer @phhusson's Phh-Treble and his ARM32 Vanilla GSI. Because the Moto E5 Play is officially supported by Project Treble, I have taken the vanilla GSI and made it bootable for our device. Along with a modified kernel from the stock Android 8.0.0 OS, I've compiled a TWRP flashable Lineage 15.1 custom ROM for the james. This vanilla ROM is very much bare-bones -- no GApps, no SU addon, etc. -- and is likely chocked full of bugs at this time. So, without further ado.....

DISCLAIMER: Your warranty is hereby null, void, and held for naught. By proceeding further, you are assuming full responsibility for any good or bad consequences which may result from flashing this ROM. While I have installed and tested this ROM on my own device, and can confirm boot up and basic functionality, I cannot yet elaborate on bugs and other types of instabilities. This is truly a work in progress at this point. So, to sum it up, FLASH THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am hereby absolved of any liability from bricked, damaged, or otherwise inoperable devices.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Android Version: 8.1.0
    Build: OPM2.171026.006
    Kernel Version: 3.18.71
    Security Patch Level: June 5, 2018
    Build Date: June 26, 2018
    LineageOS API: llama (9)
    Created: Thu, July 29, 2018 15:00:00

REQUIREMENTS/INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. First and foremost, an unlocked bootloader is necessary;
    2. TWRP custom recovery installed and force encryption disabled. Please visit @CodyF86's thread on how to do this, and please be sure and hit the THANKS button if you used his work;
    3. Download the ROM zip from the below download link and store it on external device storage;
    4. Boot your device into TWRP recovery;
    5. Select Wipe, and swipe to perform a factory data reset. Now, select Wipe and then Format Data, and follow all prompts to commence formatting;
    6. Reboot Recovery (often necessary to ensure proper mounting of /userdata after formatting the partition;
    7. Select Install, navigate to the location of the ROM zip, and swipe to commence installation;
    8. Reboot System (1st boot up can take around 3 minutes or more);

NOTE: This vanilla ROM does not include GApps so, if you want GApps, visit https://opengapps.org/ and download a package of your preference. If installing GApps, simply flash the package during the above installation process after Step 7, then Reboot System.

BUGS:
    Working:
    RIL
    Bluetooth
    WiFi

Not Working:
    Camera

Please properly report bugs, with submission of a bug report if you know how. If not, please give a clear and concise explanation of the bug. NOTE: Please DO NOT report bugs if you are running modifications such as Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, etc. This makes it nearly impossible to pinpoint, troubleshoot and fix bugs and instabilities. Also, please know that I am not a ROM maintainer for Project Treble or LineageOS. So, while I will do my best to resolve bugs and provide some bug fixes and updates, please do not ask for ETAs. I work 55+ hours a week at Motorola Mobility, LLC., so I don't always get a lot of free time.

THANKS & MENTIONS:
    Thanks to @SuperR. for his awesome Windows Kitchen;
    Thanks to @CodyF86 for breaking ground and building TWRP for the james;
    Thanks and credits to @phhusson for his Phh-Treble Vanilla GSIs;
    Thanks to the entire LineageOS team;

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    LineageOS 15.1 (Beta v1.01): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TPl879IQvVH2ajYG6ZJ2kobp_rMgRfE5
    Oh, thanks for nora, too ? ?
    Yes for Nora, Hannah, RHannah, PettyL, James, RJames, etc. I have a firmware source for these as well.
    Looks like we do without for the time being. I have most of the James firmwares and ROMs that I downloaded when MotoJunkie01 was active. I am working to try and renew some of these links and threads. I am new to XDA so I have to get established to post threads and links. I'm almost there. Be patient my friend and I'll do what I can to help.
    Guys please provide feedback and feel free to contribute on this. I have more custom ROMs on the way such as ResurrectionRemix, PixelExperience, and AOSP-Extended. But I don't have a lot of free time to maintain ROMs, so I'm going to need help ironing out bugs and compiling patches.
    Thanks for your work. Would this Lineage ROM work for the T-Mobile variant of the E5 Play (XT1921-3)?
    Not likely. There's no real danger in trying it because my installer does not flash sensitive partitions, but only /system & /boot. While I don't perceive any chance of bricking your device, it would be at your own risk. You would be better off flashing your device with a Treble GSI. While this ROM is technically based on a Project Treble GSI, I done some mods to the stock boot image and compiled the installer from porting. Hence, the ROM should not be characterized as a GSI itself. By the way I do have firmware for the xt1921-3, which I will be posting in my Moto E5 firmware thread over the next couple days.