[ROM]★★[JB 4.2.1][CROMi-X 5.4][DATA2SD/ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][FEB 22]★★

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
Upgrading Bootloader

10.6.1.14.8 and 10.6.1.14.10 bootloaders differ only in the version number, so you don't need to upgrade. If you insist, the best way to do that is by installing the full stock ROM (if you can still find it online).

That error message doesn't help at all if you don't include the line(s) above it. The best way is to get the full recovery log after flashing - from the PC while still in recovery:

adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
Sorry the information I provided was insufficient. I am very new to this process. Asus just sent me a current bootloader update for the Tf700t, 10.4.4.25, (WW epaduser VER104425UpdateLauncher.zip). If I can flash it using TWRP 3.2.3-0, will I be able to then flash Cromi-X 5.4 Resurrection?
While in recovery I opened a command prompt on my laptop and entered the adb command but it did not display the recovery log. Please advise. Thank you

_that

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Asus just sent me a current bootloader update for the Tf700t, 10.4.4.25, (WW epaduser VER104425UpdateLauncher.zip). If I can flash it using TWRP 3.2.3-0, will I be able to then flash Cromi-X 5.4 Resurrection?
That is older than 10.6 - you shouldn't downgrade. Get 10.6.1.14.10 or leave it at 10.6.1.14.8.

While in recovery I opened a command prompt on my laptop and entered the adb command but it did not display the recovery log. Please advise. Thank you
"adb pull" copies a file from the device to the PC, it doesn't display it.

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
Cromi-X 5.4 Xenogenesis

That is older than 10.6 - you shouldn't downgrade. Get 10.6.1.14.10 or leave it at 10.6.1.14.8.

"adb pull" copies a file from the device to the PC, it doesn't display it.
_That I took your advice and kept the bootloader at 10.6.1.14.8 then I flashed Cromi-X 5.4. Many thanks to all the devs! Everything looks great except Chrome and YouTube load very slowly. Will these apps load more quickly with time? Having a great time learning how these things work!

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
The more I read about this ROM I'm becoming more concerned that it will eventually slow down. Is this right? I have not applied any tweaks or patches. Yet, so far the only hiccup I've noticed is that at times, not always, the home screen or a widget doesn't fully load and navigation is choppy but again not a persistent issue. A reboot seems to eliminate the loading issues. Since this is an old device, my expectations are not that it will perform like a current device so I'm more forgiving but not sure if I should be do something to enhance performance or use it as is. Please let me know.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
It probably will, yes.
IMHO this rom and tablet is just too old as a daily driver. I still use it quite a bit, but only for certain things. I have the best result and user experience with Katkiss Nougatella and no gapps installed. Only apps I actually need and use are installed via sideload. That works pretty good for me.
Definitely a better performance than on CROMi-X

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
Upgrading Bootloader

It probably will, yes.
IMHO this rom and tablet is just too old as a daily driver. I still use it quite a bit, but only for certain things. I have the best result and user experience with Katkiss Nougatella and no gapps installed. Only apps I actually need and use are installed via sideload. That works pretty good for me.
Definitely a better performance than on CROMi-X

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for your candor. I really have enjoyed playing with this old thing and reading the incredible exploits of the Devs. Can't say enough about how brilliant all of you are. Okay I'll quit gushing now. I would like to try to install KatKiss but I get lost in the details. The instructions say I need a certain bootloader that ends in 14.10.. mine ends with 14.8. I downloaded what appears to be the upgraded stock Rom but it didn't take. On xda-developers.com I found the stock ROM combined with TWRP 2.8-x. Anyway it didn't work. Currently I'm running TWRP 3.2.3. Haven't attempted to change the file system from EXT4 to F2FS. Why is F2FS preferable? Apparently it is faster. Is that correct?

If I install the upgraded bootloader must I then reinstall TWRP 3.2.3 using adb? Will TWRP 3.2.3 suffice or do I have to load KANG's TWRP? After TWRP 3.23 is reinstalled must I then do a factory wipe and format /data, mount f2fS, wipe cache & Dalvik, then using TWRP install, ROM, SuperSU and GApps? Will the microsd card have to be converted to f2fs also? How are apps installed by sideload? :eek:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks a lot for your candor. I really have enjoyed playing with this old thing and reading the incredible exploits of the Devs. Can't say enough about how brilliant all of you are. Okay I'll quit gushing now. I would like to try to install KatKiss but I get lost in the details. The instructions say I need a certain bootloader that ends in 14.10.. mine ends with 14.8. I downloaded what appears to be the upgraded stock Rom but it didn't take. On xda-developers.com I found the stock ROM combined with TWRP 2.8-x. Anyway it didn't work. Currently I'm running TWRP 3.2.3. Haven't attempted to change the file system from EXT4 to F2FS. Why is F2FS preferable? Apparently it is faster. Is that correct?

If I install the upgraded bootloader must I then reinstall TWRP 3.2.3 using adb? Will TWRP 3.2.3 suffice or do I have to load KANG's TWRP? After TWRP 3.23 is reinstalled must I then do a factory wipe and format /data, mount f2fS, wipe cache & Dalvik, then using TWRP install, ROM, SuperSU and GApps? Will the microsd card have to be converted to f2fs also? How are apps installed by sideload? :eek:
Whoa - opened some floodgates here it seems...
Ok, one by one:
There is not much - if any - difference between the .8 and .10 bootloader. So if you want to give it a try, flash Katkiss in your current TWRP (after formatting data naturally), it should work just fine on the .8 bootloader.

Should you want to upgrade to the .10, here is a recovery flashable package https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55235088&postcount=2
That bootloader is bundled with TWRP 2.8.3 so if you want to run the latest TWRP you would have to reflash it after flashing this bundle. But 2.8.3 is still fine, no reason not to keep it..

F2FS handles long term operation and garbage collection better than ext4. You won't notice much of an immediate improvement, but over time the tablet won't bog down as much with use. Gives you more mileage between deep cleans of /data. Instructions are here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tr.../guide-convert-data-to-f2fs-twrp-2-8-t3073471
Katkiss runs fine on either f2fs or ext4 - your choice.

To prep your tablet for Katkiss you will have to format /data. No sense in wiping /data first since you have to format the partition anyway.
After a format in TWRP /data will always be ext4. So if you want to try f2fs, the next step is converting /data (and only /data) to f2fs
Now flash the rom. If you want to install the Google apps flash gapps next, if you need root, flash SuperSU or Magisk.
I do not install gapps on this tablet. I consider much of it bloat by now and some are a little much to handle for this hardware too. I use the browser to access Google maps, Gmail etc.
No gapps = no Play Store so how do you install apps? You sideload them. Go into the security settings and allow installing from unknown sources. Find the apks for the apps you want on APK Mirror (Amazon Apps works too), move the apk to your storage, tap the file and let it install.
I actually keep a zip with my must have apks around so that I only have to move one file when I need to reinstall for some reason. Try it. It is pretty impressive how responsive the tablet is without all the Google crap and the associated background activity.
You can always flash gapps later should you miss them. But you have to flash rom+gapps in one session. You can't flash gapps as standalone. No wipes necessary

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
Upgrading Bootloader

Whoa - opened some floodgates here it seems...
Ok, one by one:
There is not much - if any - difference between the .8 and .10 bootloader. So if you want to give it a try, flash Katkiss in your current TWRP (after formatting data naturally), it should work just fine on the .8 bootloader.

Should you want to upgrade to the .10, here is a recovery flashable package https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55235088&postcount=2
That bootloader is bundled with TWRP 2.8.3 so if you want to run the latest TWRP you would have to reflash it after flashing this bundle. But 2.8.3 is still fine, no reason not to keep it..

F2FS handles long term operation and garbage collection better than ext4. You won't notice much of an immediate improvement, but over time the tablet won't bog down as much with use. Gives you more mileage between deep cleans of /data. Instructions are here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tr.../guide-convert-data-to-f2fs-twrp-2-8-t3073471
Katkiss runs fine on either f2fs or ext4 - your choice.

To prep your tablet for Katkiss you will have to format /data. No sense in wiping /data first since you have to format the partition anyway.
After a format in TWRP /data will always be ext4. So if you want to try f2fs, the next step is converting /data (and only /data) to f2fs
Now flash the rom. If you want to install the Google apps flash gapps next, if you need root, flash SuperSU or Magisk.
I do not install gapps on this tablet. I consider much of it bloat by now and some are a little much to handle for this hardware too. I use the browser to access Google maps, Gmail etc.
No gapps = no Play Store so how do you install apps? You sideload them. Go into the security settings and allow installing from unknown sources. Find the apks for the apps you want on APK Mirror (Amazon Apps works too), move the apk to your storage, tap the file and let it install.
I actually keep a zip with my must have apks around so that I only have to move one file when I need to reinstall for some reason. Try it. It is pretty impressive how responsive the tablet is without all the Google crap and the associated background activity.
You can always flash gapps later should you miss them. But you have to flash rom+gapps in one session. You can't flash gapps as standalone. No wipes necessary
Thank you very much! I tried to flash that bootloader package before but it failed. Must I extract the contents and flash them separately or will the bootloader and older TWRP version overwrite the current ones? Flashing the package was not successful.

Formatted /data to f2fs successfully but when I went to flash the ROM, my microsd was not visble? I was prompted to reset the tablet which returned to the former bootloader and ext4. Must the microsd be on f2fs filesystem too?

I flashed KatKiss anyway, without gapps, and it appears to be incredibly clean and fast. I like it. I really want to beat this bootloader issue. I will try again.

Reactions: NeO_ReVoLuTiOn89

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you very much! I tried to flash that bootloader package before but it failed. Must I extract the contents and flash them separately or will the bootloader and older TWRP version overwrite the current ones? Flashing the package was not successful.

Formatted /data to f2fs successfully but when I went to flash the ROM, my microsd was not visble? I was prompted to reset the tablet which returned to the former bootloader and ext4. Must the microsd be on f2fs filesystem too?

I flashed KatKiss anyway, without gapps, and it appears to be incredibly clean and fast. I like it. I really want to beat this bootloader issue. I will try again.
No, you flash the package as one. Did you reboot after flashing the BL package? You cannot flash anything else in the same session, you have to reboot first. Pull the TWRP log after the flash and post it. It's under Advanced. But as I said: You are fine on the .8 bootloader. _that has been saying for ages that nothing changed from .8 to .10 but the name. :laugh:
Don't know why you did not see the microSD... Did you insert it after booting into TWRP? Then you have to mount it manually. Check if it is mounted if you don't see it. The microSD should be fat32.
Yeah, Katkiss is fast and standby battery life is pretty amazing too without all that crap that thinks it has to call home every 10 minutes :cowboy:

And imagine this: Without a Google account you actually have some privacy using it! :victory:
Now put a VPN on there and you time traveled back into the 90s where web users actually had some level of anonymity and the freedom to move about unobserved!! :cool:
That is unless you use FB naturally. I do not understand how people can use the app - it is basically spyware - but using FB at all is kissing privacy goodbye anyway.
FB, google and others are turning the web into a giant vacuum of meta data for the entire population of the planet. Everyday they learn more about how people behave and how they can be influenced and manipulated. And then they sell that knowledge. That other actors are using the infrastructure they laid down for less subtle and often criminal purposes is incidental. The "Do no evil" mantra long ago has been sacrificed on the pyre of revenue growth and was amended with: "There is no evil unless you get caught doing it."
Sorry for the rant, but I am increasingly bitter - and enraged - about these companies' business models and I think it is time to do something about it. Millions of users one at a time in her/his own little way....
Deny them the data and soon they'll get desperate and more brazen and will show their real face.
Well, they say the last thing to die is hope... :angel:

Last edited:

YachtsmanAT

Jan 20, 2019
The package did not work but I am very pleased with KatKiss. Tim did a great job improving the performance of this old tablet. KatKiss is a much better experience for me than Cromi or Crombi-kk. I've side-loaded several apps but without gapps I do miss apps like YouTube, FiosTv, and a few others. Perhaps there are alternative apps out there... Not sure but I think the Kat browser caused my Tf700 to get warm, esp. when I ran YouTube. Having lots of fun! Many thanks to all of you! :)

Jul 5, 2019
pretty good

I've been using this tablet as a novelty since the stock perfomance is lacking. I have tried the android 7 roms and i like the way it looks but not how it performs. This rom is a good balance of stock look but major performance boost. Now my tablet can do some modern workload at a kinda decent pace. some studders and bugs but not that much of a hinderance. Lmk how your mileage varies! Also my battery hasn't been replaced since i bought it so takes forever to charge and doesnt hold it more than 3 hrs of use... will sleep and hold battery good for some reason lol. :good: