[ROM][JB 4.2.2] [ KatKiss-4.2.2 #226 ] [Stable]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Ok, I managed to get to recovery and i'm restoring previous ROM. Now what should I do to avoid bootloop when flashing this ROM?

If you make a full wipe / factory reset before installing it will work fine.
Make sure you don't restore any system settings.
You might also want to switch directly to KatKiss 4.3.1
or 4.4.2 if you don't need what is not working yet in 4.4.2

chefp

May 15, 2010
boot loop

This TF101 is stuck on the initial "Eee Pad Asus" splash screen. I'm not sure if this was caused by KK but it's the first time this has happened on this TF101. Prior to that it had been on for over a week without charging. The dock battery was drained completely and the internal was at 23%. I plugged into the dock to charge and powered off the tablet to reduce battery drain.

I'm not sure what to call it other than a boot loop. It just cycles to that power-up screen over & over, never actually starting the image boot. Doing a cold boot into Android (power + vol-down, wait) does the same thing.

The good news is that I can get it into TWRP recovery with the power + vol-down then vol-up buttons. I've tried wiping dalvik, cache, system, re-flash KatKiss image... no go. Also tried from the TWRP terminal "echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0".

Is there a bootblock image that needs to be reflashed?

Jun 6, 2012
If you make a full wipe / factory reset before installing it will work fine.
Make sure you don't restore any system settings.
You might also want to switch directly to KatKiss 4.3.1
or 4.4.2 if you don't need what is not working yet in 4.4.2

I did a full wipe before flashing...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
This TF101 is stuck on the initial "Eee Pad Asus" splash screen.
The good news is that I can get it into TWRP recovery with the power + vol-down then vol-up buttons. I've tried wiping dalvik, cache, system, re-flash KatKiss image... no go. Also tried from the TWRP terminal "echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0".
I'm not sure if this pertains in your case but let's at least verify the above 'echo' command was executed and placed 'boot' as the first item.

cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
boot
recovery

-JR-

chefp

May 15, 2010
I'm not sure if this pertains in your case but let's at least verify the above 'echo' command was executed and placed 'boot' as the first item.

cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
boot
recovery

-JR-
Interesting... that command blanks the output window using Terminal Command in TWRP. There's no visible output from the cat. Could this be a TWRP bug? Without being able to boot, how else can I write to mmcblk0p3?

chefp

May 15, 2010
Use easy flasher and restart from the begining ;)
Hoping to avoid a complete wipe if at all possible. From what I can tell, something's corrupted with the bootloader partition or mmcblk0p3 (is that the bootloader itself or what tells the tablet which partition to boot?). Would nvflash.exe --bl bootloader.bin be enough to fix the bootloader?

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
Hoping to avoid a complete wipe if at all possible. From what I can tell, something's corrupted with the bootloader partition or mmcblk0p3 (is that the bootloader itself or what tells the tablet which partition to boot?). Would nvflash.exe --bl bootloader.bin be enough to fix the bootloader?
Well... you have a few options:
First, if you can ADB to the device, then drop into a shell and run the 'echo boot' command from there and verify with the 'cat' command that 'boot' is first.

Second, it would indeed be nice if NVFlash was that easy on our device (tf101) but it's not; we need --for a better lack of term-- a proxy, and that would be 'Wheelie' it was started by 'rayman' and you can read/get started HERE (Linux) and HERE (Windows)

Third, if you can make a full NANDroid backup, then you can always do a Selective/Advanced restore, e.g. /system or /data or both after a 'wipe/rebuild' of your device.

Fourth, backup your 'User' apps with TitaniumBackup and anything on 'Internal memory', e.g. Docs, Pics, etc...(you can use TWRP terminal and copy to external SDcard), in case you choose the third option and it fails.

HTH,

-JR-

chefp

May 15, 2010
Well... you have a few options:
First, if you can ADB to the device, then drop into a shell and run the 'echo boot' command from there and verify with the 'cat' command that 'boot' is first.

Second, it would indeed be nice if NVFlash was that easy on our device (tf101) but it's not; we need --for a better lack of term-- a proxy, and that would be 'Wheelie' it was started by 'rayman' and you can read/get started HERE (Linux) and HERE (Windows)

Third, if you can make a full NANDroid backup, then you can always do a Selective/Advanced restore, e.g. /system or /data or both after a 'wipe/rebuild' of your device.

Fourth, backup your 'User' apps with TitaniumBackup and anything on 'Internal memory', e.g. Docs, Pics, etc...(you can use TWRP terminal and copy to external SDcard), in case you choose the third option and it fails.

HTH,

-JR-
Thanks for the tips. It's starting to look like I'll have to go the wheelie route and wipe the tablet. When I do echo boot from an adb shell (while the tablet is in TWRP), mmcblk0p3 reads "boot" at the beginning. However whenever it reboots, it doesn't stick and of course doesn't boot. Sure hoping this isn't a defective flash sector.

Has anyone else's tablet gotten a corrupt bootloader from normal operation? Seems like this would have to be a low-level kernel type of bug to do something like that.

Last edited:

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks for the tips. It's starting to look like I'll have to go the wheelie route and wipe the tablet. When I do echo boot from an adb shell (while the tablet is in TWRP), mmcblk0p3 reads "boot" at the beginning. However whenever it reboots, it doesn't stick and of course doesn't boot. Sure hoping this isn't a defective flash sector.

Has anyone else's tablet gotten a corrupt bootloader from normal operation? Seems like this would have to be a low-level kernel type of bug to do something like that.
When you say "reads 'boot' at the beginning", you do mean on it's own line, correct?

boot-recovery
NO GOOD (stuck) needs the dd command

boot
recovery
GOOD

As a last ditch effort; why not try and flash Roach's recovery HERE it contains a hack that uses a slightly different command (you could also try in terminal)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
or
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 count=13

-JR-

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Has anyone managed to connect to a Wireless N only network with this ROM ?

The TF can see mine, but won't connect, doesn't even seem to try, it just jumps back to the list of networks again

Any ideas how to get it to connect ?

polishfly

Oct 16, 2012
www.theclymb.com
Hey guys, I know this is old and outdated, but.....

Sometime between now and a few months ago I suspect my tablet updated an APP and is now useless. It keeps playing the nice Kat Kiss 4 dot doodle that comes up when the OS is powering up. I tried to wipe cache and devik and it just gets stuck at "Starting applications" and does not go any further. I tried installing the same Kat Kiss ROM on top and it does the same thing.

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
Hey guys, I know this is old and outdated, but.....

Sometime between now and a few months ago I suspect my tablet updated an APP and is now useless. It keeps playing the nice Kat Kiss 4 dot doodle that comes up when the OS is powering up. I tried to wipe cache and devik and it just gets stuck at "Starting applications" and does not go any further. I tried installing the same Kat Kiss ROM on top and it does the same thing.
First off, you should really update to a more recent version i.e. KatKiss JB | KatKiss KK etc...

If not, then try (re)installing the ROM but make sure to WIPE SYSTEM FIRST.

HTH,

-JR-

polishfly

Oct 16, 2012
www.theclymb.com
First off, you should really update to a more recent version i.e. KatKiss JB | KatKiss KK etc...

If not, then try (re)installing the ROM but make sure to WIPE SYSTEM FIRST.

HTH,

-JR-

I hate wiping the system cause I dont want to lose my settings and layout.

If i do go to a new ROM what do yo recommend? Is KK stable and fast? My TF101 was screaming on the 4.2.2 and i dont want to lose that performance.

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
I hate wiping the system cause I dont want to lose my settings and layout.

If i do go to a new ROM what do yo recommend? Is KK stable and fast? My TF101 was screaming on the 4.2.2 and i dont want to lose that performance.
1. Most of your settings are stored on the /data partition and would require a Factory reset/Wipe data to clear("lose"). On /system you may be concerned with root(su) mods e.g. hosts file, startup scripts etc...

2. All of @timduru (KatKiss) builds are fast and stable you'll just have to read up on the threads to see what's best for you.

-JR-

Piehti

Oct 12, 2012
I hate wiping the sys[...] stable and fast? My TF101 [...] ant to lose that performance.

Most stable and working with all features (even multiwindow): KitKass 4.3.1 is what you want. Also - as far as I know - it's faster as 4.2.2.
Most uptodate but ART and Multiwindow not working and no big time advantages to 4.3.1 then KatKiss 4.4.2 would be your pick.

As said before: All of Tims rom are quit stable and as far as I tested also the fastest and most responsive.
You can't go wrong with 4.3.1. You might consider backing up your layouts and settings before. Before and after flashing.
NAND Backups would be my suggestion. Have a look at my tutorials.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    KatKiss ROM - Asus TF101
    attachment.php

JellyBean 4.2.2​

This rom is based onto TeamEOS4 with my own additions on top.
    We shall see where it leads to in the future, but it will most likely stay close to EOS4 for the moment as we have reached a very good and stable status in the past months of work,
    so we can build on that until the next Android version. :)

The main motto of the rom being Kiss. Even though the Meerkat could give you a kiss, it stands for Keeps it Sweet and Simple too
    Which means that just like the other K.A.T stuff, the rom's main goal will be efficiency, speed/responsiveness,
    while cutting out some of the bloat in the future too. :)

DOWNLOADS:

Please note that this version is for the TF101 model only.

ChangeLog: The main changes are posted there and are also available in the Settings=>ControlCenter menu => ChangeLog
    Source: https://github.com/timduru (branch katkiss)
    --
    Main Features:
    High performance KatKernel included see dedicated KatKernel thread for more info
    Compiled with the Linaro Toolchain with linaro optimizations
    Control Center: one easy location to control all the customizations.Full Dock keyboard Support with special keys
    CIFS, ext4, NTFS & Exfat support
    FSTRIM and Database optimization scripts (see post #2)
    Ethernet support with settings panel
    Trebuchet
    TabletUI, PhabletUI choice
    Battery Indicator Mods & Dock Battery support
    Support for authenticated http download
    Advanced power menu with reboot options.
    Increased Bluetooth audio quality
    Wifi with AD-HOC network connection & creation support ( requires special adhoc kernel, not included by default as it might create unstability for some)
    Custom Quick Toggles Tiles with Brightness & Volume Seekbars
    Softkeys Long-Press Actions
    Custom Navigation Bar Ring Quick Launch Targets
    Status Bar Toggles
    Separate or combined Status Bar & Navigation bar hiding for full screen.
    Clock Mods
    Theme-able
    And more...

Installation Notes:
    These builds are designed to be installed from your favorite recovery. MAKE SURE TO INSTALL THE LATEST COMPATIBLE ANDROID 4.2 RECOVERY!
    latest TWRP is recommended

Going to KatKiss4.2.x from a different rom:
    • Backup everything !
    • Go to recovery
    • Make a full wipe / factory reset
    • Format /system
    • Flash the rom
    • Flash optional kernel
    • Flash gapps
    • Wipe cache/dalvik
    • Reboot

Updating from KatKiss 4.2.x #XX to #YY:
    You can usually skip the full wipe step.
    If ever you encounter an issue make sure you make a full wipe first before reporting though.

Credits:
    Thanks to the original TeamEos & Cyanogenmod for the work on their roms.
    Original banner concept by i9apps & drawing by BBF

WebPage
    Tips
    How to report
    What to include in the report

Disclaimer: The usual ;)
    Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
    In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

Meanwhile in 4.3 land ... :D
    Additional info & links

GPS:
    if it is taking a long time to get a lock or no lock, follow this:

Install the latest K.A.T app

Then follow precisely this procedure:

1) Location Settings
    - Go to Settings => Location => turn OFF Access to my location
    - Turn Access to my location back ON
    - Make sure you agree to let google access the location.
    Now you should have :
    - GPS satellites: checked
    - Wifi & mobile networks location: checked

2) Launch the new K.A.T app
    - make sure you grant it root access
    - make sure you have internet access
    - go to the install menu, Check the "Install GPS quicker fix + Assistance
    - Click the Install button
    - Make sure it says "Install Finished"

3) Reboot
    4) Wait that it has finished booting and launching all the stuff you have starting at boot
    5) Start your GPS app outside with a clear sky line, to speed things up stay in range of the wifi / internet connection.

Do not let the gps app loose focus when it is trying to get a fix.
    Do not let your tablet sleep / turn off the screen either.

Doing that here, the first time and with a cold gps start, and even staying in my house,
    I get a 6 sat fix within 30 seconds and 11 sat fix in 1min 15seconds.

From there subsequent fixes takes about 3 seconds to grab 7 sats and about 10 seconds to reach the 10-11 sat fix
    (you still want to let it sit outside for a bit after the 1st fix, so that the ephemeris data gets consolidated and updated to help faster fix later on)

Google search:
    If the version you're using is crashing when you open Google Now,
    go to Settings => Language & Input => Voice Search
    then uncheck Hotword Detection.

Hardware keyboard layouts
    More languages have been added in the default asusec keyboard
    Set the keyboard layout through Settings => Language & Input => asusec => setup keyboard layouts
    These also allow live switching without reboot with ctrl + space

Glass effect:
    If you want glass to work with Trebuchet, you need to deactivate the quick wallpaper rendering in Trebuchet settings though.

Storage (fstrim) and Database optimization:
    open a terminal and run:
    su
    /etc/kat/optimizedb
    /etc/kat/optimizestorage
    Be warned that the optimize storage can take from a few minutes to hours.
    But the speed / lag will be greatly improved afterward :)

Other Tips
    Version #215 available

Version #215 available:

Download: KatKiss-4.2.2_215.zip
    md5sum: 477782483338f948a2d22ca6d4c09e91
    More information: http://public.timduru.org/Android/tf101/KatKiss/
    KatKernel is not yet included in that first version, so you still need to flash it after the rom.

This version is an hybrid between EOS4 PreviewB202 / Nightly 120 and new stuff and shouldn't have the EOS4 #121 microsd bug. :)

Test & Report to confirm that we're back on track and then we can build up on top of that version :)

ChangeLog:
    =7/11/13 - V215=
    - Critical Security fix for Bug 8219321 (Android apk MasterKey exploit)
    - Browser: Reorg of the pie control + add Pie Feature to go to Bottom/Top of page
    - Include MediaScanner Filters by default (so you do not need to install them from the K.A.T app again after installing the rom)
    - Rom versions change
    - Deactivate GooManager versions to avoid notifications of flashing older EOS4 121
    - Default Kernel interactive threshold decrease for quicker speed boost/responsiveness.
    New version #220

attachment.php
    New version available:

Download: KatKiss-4.2.2_220.zip
    md5sum: KatKiss-4.2.2_220.zip.md5

ChangeLog:
    =7/17/13 - V220=
    - Add Support for HTTP authentication download in Browser/Download Manager
    - Ethernet settings & icons support
    - Settings: Add SuperSU link + move ControlCenter up
    - Update to KatKernel 105 (TF101G boot issue)