[ROM][KERNEL][JZO54K][01.12.2013] GeeWiz 3.4 (Retired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Cookiemonster21

Jun 10, 2012
Los Molinos, CA
I've got an idea, but not being a developer I'm not sure how simple this would be...
I really like the looks of touch wiz, but stock roms are awful and I love jellybeans speed. Anyway that you can make a theme for this? There's definitely no pressure, just wondering if it is remotely possible, and if its something you would even consider. Thanks anyways!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
I've got an idea, but not being a developer I'm not sure how simple this would be...
I really like the looks of touch wiz, but stock roms are awful and I love jellybeans speed. Anyway that you can make a theme for this? There's definitely no pressure, just wondering if it is remotely possible, and if its something you would even consider. Thanks anyways!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

I'm not really ambitious enough to get into themeing, for this ROM I've even shied away from custom battery meters (although they can be made with an online tool that come to think of it I promised to link up and never did - doh). I don't have any problem with it, but from what little I do know there is a lot involved if you venture beyond just changing the graphics files and XML resources (lock screens, the dialer, the status bar, the launcher, etc). The Android code isn't laid out very well (just my opinion), and rather than put all the look and feel stuff into one place that could be swapped out easily, it's intermixed with base code, which is why applying themes can break ROMs they weren't designed for. In an ideal world, themeing should be easy, and it does bother me that Google hasn't addressed that yet since every single OEM does it (and most custom ROMs, too!). You would think it would save the OEMs a ton of time and money.

I try hard to never say "no" to anything, but it's doubtful that I would ever have the ambition to theme this. Stranger things have happened, though ... I change my mind all the time!! :laugh:

I really do wish Android was more modular so generic themes could be developed and then utilized by everyone without the need to worry about breaking custom code. One thing I wanted to do here, but have yet to even attempt, is to modify the system so that you could put .zip files on your SDCARD with battery meter images and have them selectable through Settings, as if they were a ringtone. Something like that could ultimately be extended to all the system graphics and resources ... kinda like an override. It wouldn't solve all the details involved with a good theme (at first?), but it would be easy for people to develop themes and if done properly wouldn't ever break anything. Maybe someday!

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
GeeWiz 3.4 has been uploaded and posted to the DOWNLOADS section of the first post.

GeeWiz 3.4
  • Adds ability to control Vibration Intensity to Settings/Advanced (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Mostly fixes the compass (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Disables 360 degree tablet-style rotation (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Changes description of Settings/Display/Pulse Notification Lights to simply "Notification Lights" (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Emulates a Digital dock audio device instead of an Analog dock audio device (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Addresses a potential race condition with voice call audio in the audio HAL (GW Patch 3.3.1)
  • Resolves continuing occasional issues with Wifi Toggle ON appearing to hang up (GW Patch 3.3.2)
  • Alleviates kernel memory pressure when Wifi is toggled ON by using pre-allocated memory buffers (GW Patch 3.3.3)
  • Resolves ongoing issues with Ringtone/Notification/Alarm tones appearing in Settings as well as Force Close and database corruption issues with certain Google Apps (Music/Gallery/Google+) (New -- GW 3.4)

For the most part this is just a roll-up of the three GeeWiz 3.3.x patches, but it finally addresses the long-standing issue with the Ringtone/Notification/Alarm tones disappearing from Settings, and in conjunction certain Force Close issues with Google Apps (Music/Gallery/Google+) that access the Android media databases.

If you continue to have problems with Settings not showing all the ringtone/notification/alarm tones after this update (and giving the system a few minutes to re-scan the internal media), please let me know!

Reactions: A-L31 and erics88

Cajaks2

Jul 6, 2008
Baltimore
Hey all,

I flashed an fascinate with this Rom with Odin and current its patched at 3.3.2. I've given the phone to a friend who has reported several problems with it.
It spontaneously shuts off. sometimes in the middle of the phone calls sometimes when its sitting on the table.
It also does not send/receive call audio when an incoming call comes in, she has to call them back to make it work.
Snapchat also fails to work on occasion but that may well be snapchat's fault.

Any ideas guys?

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Hey all,

I flashed an fascinate with this Rom with Odin and current its patched at 3.3.2. I've given the phone to a friend who has reported several problems with it.
It spontaneously shuts off. sometimes in the middle of the phone calls sometimes when its sitting on the table.
It also does not send/receive call audio when an incoming call comes in, she has to call them back to make it work.
Snapchat also fails to work on occasion but that may well be snapchat's fault.

Any ideas guys?

Shuts all the way off, or reboots? I've never seen a Fascinate actually power down, but I've certainly seen them reboot for no good reason (the latter usually as a result of something I've done - lol) Could it be a loose, or perhaps failing, battery? Safety first: make sure the battery isn't puffed out in the middle at all, it should be perfectly flat on both sides -- immediately cease using it if it's not!

I'm not really sure what else would cause it to just power off like that, "random" reboots are typically the norm for software troubles. Did you by chance turn on either of the Settings/Advanced Clock Speed options? Lock-ups are what I would commonly think of for an overclocking problem, though. Best guess is battery, sorry that I've never seen that symptom before.

As for the call issue, there was a report on GeeWiz 4 that there was no call audio when dialing from contacts as well. I haven't been able to reproduce that or this, but I will keep trying. Is it on every single incoming call? Any VoIP software installed?

But please, as silly as it sounds, please have them check the battery, if it shows any physical signs of failure it could actually be dangerous.

Cajaks2

Jul 6, 2008
Baltimore
I was thinking battery as well but there appears to be no external signs of damage. It is an older phone so the battery could certainly be failing. Every setting is stock. She claims it is on every call. At this point I think I am going to flash the gingerbread based GeeWiz this weekend and see what happens if that resolves anything.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
I was thinking battery as well but there appears to be no external signs of damage. It is an older phone so the battery could certainly be failing. Every setting is stock. She claims it is on every call. At this point I think I am going to flash the gingerbread based GeeWiz this weekend and see what happens if that resolves anything.

I don't know how deep you want to dig into this since it's a friend's phone (and they probably expect to be able to use it), but if you'd like I can build a version of the audio module for this version of the ROM like I did here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36748252&postcount=31

It's not hard for me to do, actually it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, including making the rollback patch, but you'd need access to the phone to run ADB and capture the events during the course of the problem and be able to examine them.

Or ... if I made the patch and it was installed, you guys could send me a Bug Report on it as well (Settings/Developer Options/Take Bug Report). This includes a LOT of information, I cannot guarantee that nothing personal is in there, but there really shouldn't be. Heck, you could have her do that now if you want, perhaps the answer is already in there! If you do want to take a bug report, what will happen is a whole lot of nothing, or so it will seem, for about 3-5 minutes. You'll probably see a few "shell has been granted root permissions" pop-ups, but otherwise the phone makes a tone, gets real slow for a few minutes, and ultimately pops up in GMail with a draft message. By default, it will send to yourself, just forward it to ... well ... I'll PM ya. You can probably figure out my gmail address if you think REALLY HARD about it - LOL. Perhaps djp952@? :eek:

Let me know what you think, I'm happy to make the patch to enable the extra logging, but only if you want to use it. I cannot guarantee that it would reveal the issue, I'm hoping more for a clue :) I'm beginning to wonder if the "fix" I did in GeeWiz 3.3.1 to address a possible but extremely unlikely condition with in-call audio was ill-conceived for some reason. I reviewed it again and it looks OK, but I'm thinking this has to be my fault somehow ... too weird to not be!

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore

For what it's worth, I got a report of seemingly the exact same problem with GeeWiz 4 today and while I still cannot duplicate it, I decided to just try a couple changes to the audio code for that version to see what happens:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36816170&postcount=34

One possible difference is that the GW 4 user noted that he can enable and disable Speakerphone mode to solve the problem without a need to call back. This is worth passing on for her to try, it still sucks but not as much, I think.

I'm hoping that user will be able to test and get back to me before the weekend, and if it's successful I will make the same change available for GeeWiz 3 as quickly as possible, even if it's "experimental" in nature. I appreciate that you have a limited window of opportunity to either fix or get rid of GeeWiz from your friend's phone, and while I'm hopeful that a resolution can be found in time, I suggest at least considering replacing GeeWiz 3 with a CyanogenMOD or AOKP-based ROM.

That may sound counter-productive for my own interests, but I'm a realist about this ... if GW doesn't work out for you, I'd much rather see you dump it for something that works for all your needs than having to deal with waiting for a problem the developer can't even find yet to be "maybe or maybe not" fixed :p

I still got no clue on the power-off issue either. I asked around a bit this afternoon, and nobody I pinged has ever seen a Fascinate just power off like that -- it's always reboots or lock-ups. Hopefully just need to replace the battery or clean the contacts or something simple like that. Crossing my fingers for ya :fingers-crossed:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
edit: removed update 3.4.1 ... my phone locked up entering deep sleep after applying that. My apologies.

Thankfully nobody downloaded it before I found the issue. *phew*

Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Getting this rom for a friend

Sent from an Apple killing JellyBean

Cool! Just a heads-up, while I haven't been spending much/any time working on this due to all the problems/glitches with the newer Android 4.2 version, I did want to let you know that at least one person has had problems with this ROM having muted in-call audio. if this happens, try switching to speakerphone and then back again. It wasn't a wide-spread issue with this version, but it exists.

I've been working the problem on the newer GeeWiz 4 baseline since it had far more problems relating to in-call audio. When I get that sorted out, those changes will be back-ported to this version. Hopefully more successfully than the mysterious 3.4.1 patch I posted and immediately deleted :D (It solved a problem that is extremely rare on this version, it wasn't worth the problem it ultimately caused).

I hope your friend likes it -- thanks!

Reactions: moparfreak426

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
Re: [ROM][KERNEL][JZO54K][01.12.2013] GeeWiz 3.4

Any other bugs? Shes bone stock can i just do the odin all in one install u have posted and have everything needed?

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Any other bugs? Shes bone stock can i just do the odin all in one install u have posted and have everything needed?

That's the only important one I can think of, and to date only 2 people have experienced it, so chances are she won't. Just wanted to give you the heads-up there.

If she's stock, yes, just ODIN the "full wipe" and she'll be good to go! Nothing special needs to be done in advance.

Reactions: moparfreak426

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
Re: [ROM][KERNEL][JZO54K][01.12.2013] GeeWiz 3.4

That's the only important one I can think of, and to date only 2 people have experienced it, so chances are she won't. Just wanted to give you the heads-up there.

If she's stock, yes, just ODIN the "full wipe" and she'll be good to go! Nothing special needs to be done in advance.

Alright.... Sorry for so many questions but one more... I think the original galaxy s is single core and does that mean it cant deep sleep? Hows battery life compared to say on stock with everything turned on?

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Alright.... Sorry for so many questions but one more... I think the original galaxy s is single core and does that mean it cant deep sleep? Hows battery life compared to say on stock with everything turned on?

Fascinate is definitely single core, deep sleep works, and battery life is pretty great IMO (previous versions were so-so from mistakes/bugs), from what I've heard it's the best there is for Jelly Bean on the Fascinate! From my experience, the biggest battery killer is Wifi, closely followed by a paired Bluetooth device and then an attached 4-pole headset (it constantly monitors for button presses). It won't be as good as stock Gingerbread was, don't get me wrong, but I think it's comparable to stock regardless of what's turned on and what's turned off. If you guys find otherwise, please let me know, maybe I can fix it.

For what it's worth, on my test device with the original battery from 2010, with wifi and bluetooth turned off and a decent 3G signal, I see something like a 6% drop overnight. I think that's about 2-3% worse than stock, but these OEM batteries are getting old, any difference could very well be from age.

If for some reason this doesn't work out for you, I highly recommend seeking out a ROM from jt1134 for the Fascinate (check "rootzwiki"). His stuff is top-notch and given that it's based on CyanogenMod rather than pure AOSP, it will have more features as well as the support of more than just one person :silly:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
ROM has been retired

This ROM has been retired as of March 5, 2013 and I will request that the thread be closed by a moderator.

I had promised to keep this ROM version alive until the newer Android 4.2-based "GeeWiz 4" was able to duplicate it's feature set, and as of GeeWiz 4.3, I believe that feature set has finally been matched and/or exceeded. Regardless, I allowed this version to slip for far too long and any attempt to bring it up to date is not justified based on the download counts (close to zero for the past 45 days).

GeeWiz / GeeWiz Media 4.x thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088224

Thank you so much for using/enjoying my ROM, and I hope that you will consider updating to the more current version! Long live the Verizon Fascinate!!

Regards,
djp952

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GEEWIZ 3.4 SCH-I500 JZO54K JELLY BEAN 4.1.2 ROM/KERNEL

RETIRED -- GEEWIZ 3.4 WAS THE FINAL RELEASE OF GEEWIZ BASED ON ANDROID 4.1

OTHER AVAILABLE GEEWIZ VERSIONS:
    GeeWiz 4 - AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088224

GeeWiz 3.4 is a ROM for the Samsung Fascinate, based on AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1. Like it's predecessors of the same name, GeeWiz doesn't aim to provide a lot of bells and whistles or incorporate all of the latest and greatest tweaks and enhancements developed by the community; the aim is to provide a basic, stable, functional device.

GeeWiz 3.4 uses a modified version of the GeeWiz 2.8 Gingerbread (Linux 2.6) kernel with a number of very specific tweaks/hacks in order to continue to support the proprietary Samsung RFS file system and other features I wanted to carry over. As a result, this ROM may not be used in conjunction with any other Kernel, and this Kernel cannot be used in conjunction with any other ROM. Please consider it a "matched set", and they will always be updated/distributed together. XDA community developed enhancements to the ROM or Kernel are encouraged, and will be given prominent feature status in this post.

Your device needs to be set up as stock or stock-like (e.g. GeeWiz 2.8) before installing this ROM/Kernel. If you are currently running with an MTD-based platform, the device must be reverted back to the original OEM volume format. Please refer to the forum/thread were you acquired your current ROM for guidance on how to revert the device as necessary.

Installing this ROM/Kernel or any other provided component(s) will void your device's warranty, and I cannot be held responsible for any damages of any kind (including data loss) that are incurred either directly or indirectly by these packages and components. What you do to your device is ultimately your problem!

FEATURES

• Android Jelly Bean AOSP build JZO54K (android-4.1.2_r1)
    • Google Apps version JZO54K from the Galaxy Nexus
    • All devices (GPS, compass, orientation, camera, flash) are functional
    • Wifi (WPA/WPA2) and Bluetooth Tethering support
    • Supports OEM DBDATA volume to keep performance reasonable
    • Supports both RFS and EXT4 formatting on all volumes
    • OEM USB modes (CD-ROM/Kies/MTP) replaced with standard Android Mass Storage
    • Advanced Battery Settings: Maximum Charge, Automatic Recharge Point
    • Advanced CPU Settings: Maximum/Minimum Clock Speed, Governor Selection
    • Advanced In-Call Volume Boost Selection
    • Backlight Notifications built into system, controlled by the OS
    • Supercurio Voodoo Sound 10
    • Fascinate Dock audio simulates a true USB audio device for seamless output path switching
    • Custom Dock options - Enable BLN, Stay Awake, Enable audio output

CREDITS

While it would be impossible to remember/cite every possible reference that was used during development, I would like to specifically thank the following teams/individuals for making their work public so that others could learn from it and in more cases than not, shamelessly "borrow" it:
    • jt1134 - A primary source of knowledge for all things Samsung Fascinate
    • sgtkwol - Maintains a Linux 2.6 kernel for the Epic that provided a vast amount of reference material for the kernel updates
    • pawitp - Fixed my video driver changes to eliminate a 'microlag' issue (thank you!)
    • Entropy512- Customizations to allow WPA/WPA2 Wifi Tethering to work on the Galaxy S
    • teamhacksung - Maintains a large repository for all Galaxy S devices, I can't count how many code compares I did against their material
    • Cyanogenmod - The fact that this ROM can make a call at all is thanks to this team. So much of this effort is based on theirs!
    • rxwookie - A long-time supporter of all things GeeWiz and always takes the time to help other folks out here. I think he probably knows more about GeeWiz than I do!

ACTIVATION AND PROVISIONING

While I have no reason to believe that activation/provisioning wouldn't work properly on this ROM, it is a difficult thing to test on CDMA networks. Until it's been established that activation/provisioning is indeed working properly, I suggest you do not use anything like the ODIN "EFS Clear" option that may affect it. If the phone was properly provisioned before installing this ROM, it should maintain that provisioning. I have successfully activated a Fascinate on this ROM, but have not tested the process enough to be fully confident with it.

KNOWN ISSUES

USB Mass Storage / ADB may not work after device has been docked
    After docking and removing the device from a Samsung Fascinate dock, USB Mass Storage and/or ADB may stop working. When this occurs, the only way to restore USB connectivity is to power off the device and power it back on. Rebooting is not sufficient and will not alleviate the problem.

FIRST-TIME INSTALLATION RECOMMENDATION

This ROM performs significantly better when the device uses the EXT4 file system. Unfortunately, using ODIN will always format the device with the RFS file system. Unlike previous versions of GeeWiz, the new "Full Wipe" ODIN package has been modified such that it will format the data volumes (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) with the EXT4 file system on the first boot. This is now the recommended installation method for first-time installation.

If the "Full Wipe" ODIN package is not used, please note that your data must be wiped manually if coming from another ROM to avoid problems, and I strongly recommend converting, at minimum, the data volumes of the device (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) to the EXT4 file system.

UPGRADING FROM GEEWIZ 3.2/3.3

GeeWiz 3.2.x/3.3.x Versions can be upgraded directly to GeeWiz 3.4 without a need to wipe the device data or revert the file system back to RFS. The EDIFY update-zip below is compatible with most, if not all, recoveries and will work regardless of if the device is formatted with RFS or EXT4.
    • Your Dalvik-cache will be automatically wiped, so the first reboot will take a long time
    • Due to problems with some Google services after a kernel change, the Google Services Framework package will have its data cleared during installation. You will be prompted to accept Google's location services again

DOWNLOADS

EDIFY Update-Zip (ClockworkMod / GeeWiz Recovery) Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ascgikdaqdg3ai5/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.zip
    MD5: 6b2e280f9d51492febec43b8b9fa3bd4

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5fxee76vrxv28eq/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.zip
    MD5: 9869d3138279d99f1237a442f7573cad

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
    This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision. Your data volumes will be formatted with EXT4 on the first boot
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/2266vgo7uma5xmk/geewiz-3.4-fullwipe-01122013.tar.md5
    MD5: 0d6c2cf955d0024c925c2d10ce046e1d

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jzfwybqu6ns70ay/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.tar.md5
    MD5: 46e17141a8f8a8ae48001c3e4653e088

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5gov2c1r8836tj/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.tar.md5
    MD5: b70d4063dffaa9cd89629f307d3beae5

SOURCE CODE
    The entire baseline for GeeWiz is available on github: https://www.github.com/djp952.
    • Device repo: android-platform-device-samsung-atlas3g (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
    • Kernel repo: android-kernel-atlas (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
    Please see post #2 of this thread for an overview of how to build the GeeWiz ROM/Kernel from source as well as how to package your modifications. I would be happy to include any XDA community developed modifications or enhancements to the baseline as featured packages, add-ons or patches for GeeWiz!

Disclaimer: djp952 reserves the right to mercilessly kang your changes and assimilate them when you fix things that he was unable to. djp952 will also give you *major* props and full credit for the fix, so it's not that bad, right?
    LOL, I think I do about 95% of all the posting to this thread so far :)

I wanted to let you know that I am getting closer to understanding the in-call audio path issues. I'm working on the output paths tonight (receiver vs. headphone vs. speakerphone, etc). What seems to be happening here is that the code is killing itself off prematurely, which sends the audio into standby and effectively mutes everything. When you change the path, for example by enabling the speakerphone, it will wake up and work. Input paths also seem to have some problems, I don't see it ever switching from the receiver mic to anything else under any circumstances.

It's fixable, but I don't think I can do it in the next hour or so (stranger things have happened, though). As I indicated before, I will be in Europe from tomorrow until next Wednesday, and while I was really hoping to make some progress on this problem beforehand, it's not looking that way. If I dream up some epiphany that can be coded and tested in about 30 minutes tomorrow before I leave, maybe I can post something, but please don't count on it. Sorry guys. :crying: My phone needs flashing to the Wifi-Only GeeWiz Media for the overseas trip ... there are all kinds of Angry Birds levels I need to complete on the plane!!
    I installed the patch and have been testing it for a couple of hours. No driver crashes. Wi-Fi toggles smoothly. I think you squashed that bug.

Thanks!

Woohoo! Very glad to hear it, I'll promote 3.3.3 to the main post and dump the "experimental" part :D Building/testing this change for GeeWiz Media 3 at the moment. It's nice to get one right! <score!> Please let me know if it acts up again, I'm always willing to try and fix what I can.

Just have to say " wow ".... the way you develop and issue out posts in detail and updates just amazes me...

Got to be honest I have never tried your geewiz . Yet... It sounds so tempting and i love to know all about the whys and hows :) even if i don't always understand it

So props to you ;) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Why thank you, hhp_221! I try to be a little more verbose than most folks, often far too much so (mainly because I suffer from a terminal case of verbal diarrhea :eek:) but also definitely for those that are interested in whatever process I'm happening down. I'm wrong a heck of a lot more often than I'm right, but so far other than trying to get this ROM to work properly in India for swapnilss, I've managed to stumble my way out of pretty much everything bad that's come up, given enough time :eek: If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know what you think! Believe me, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it, it's certainly a little "Spartan" compared to most offerings these days, I'm flattered that so many people have tried it at all given the other options available.

edit: Android 4.2 GeeWiz is still coming as well, the only remaining major problem to solve before giving you guys something legitimate to chew on is Bluetooth, and I think I'm getting closer to the solution there. It works about 50% of the time now and I even had A2DP work for about 10 seconds - lol. I did finally fix Superuser for 4.2 by compiling it myself from ChainsDD's latest code. That guy is great, he even made his keys public so source-built versions still link up with his official ones on Google Play Store. No ETA yet, but "soon" seems appropriate ...
    Hi everyone. I seem to spend more time apologizing to you than making progress on this, but I was called away on business rather suddenly there and just got back home tonight. FWIW, I love Kansas City :)

I have not abandoned ya, I just wasn't able to do anything useful for you in the past week. Android 4.2 is out (cool), but while I am working to get that on my VZW Galaxy Nexus, they dropped support for the Nexus S, which is not necessarily a good thing for this. For now, I'm going to follow suit and keep this at Android 4.1.2 while I work on these annoying problems. When I left, my test phone was working much better for output, but I hadn't gotten to the input (microphone/speakerphone mic/headset mic) yet. My wife bought a nifty headset with a mic I can borrow to work on that part, hopefully soon.

All I can really do is apologize at this point. I want this to work, but actual "work" keeps getting in my way :crying:
    Sorry I only had a few hours to work on this recently and was getting extremely frustrated with myself :silly:

As of last night, I know what's wrong with the output audio paths (really), just working out the best way to resolve it. Now that I can see what's going on I can have a look at the input audio paths as well (speakerphone, headset mic, etc). The problems are generally related. What's happening is essentially what I first thought ... the audio paths are being closed when they shouldn't be (or perhaps more accurately "over-closed") by the HAL, and when you wake it back up by changing it (press speakerphone or remove the headset, for example), it opens up and works normally. When the phone is first booted, it works because the in-call audio gets opened, it's only after you use it once that it gets messed up.

*sigh* Getting there.