[ROM][KERNEL][JZO54K][01.12.2013] GeeWiz 3.4 (Retired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
GEEWIZ 3.4 SCH-I500 JZO54K JELLY BEAN 4.1.2 ROM/KERNEL

RETIRED -- GEEWIZ 3.4 WAS THE FINAL RELEASE OF GEEWIZ BASED ON ANDROID 4.1

OTHER AVAILABLE GEEWIZ VERSIONS:
GeeWiz 4 - AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088224

GeeWiz 3.4 is a ROM for the Samsung Fascinate, based on AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1. Like it's predecessors of the same name, GeeWiz doesn't aim to provide a lot of bells and whistles or incorporate all of the latest and greatest tweaks and enhancements developed by the community; the aim is to provide a basic, stable, functional device.

GeeWiz 3.4 uses a modified version of the GeeWiz 2.8 Gingerbread (Linux 2.6) kernel with a number of very specific tweaks/hacks in order to continue to support the proprietary Samsung RFS file system and other features I wanted to carry over. As a result, this ROM may not be used in conjunction with any other Kernel, and this Kernel cannot be used in conjunction with any other ROM. Please consider it a "matched set", and they will always be updated/distributed together. XDA community developed enhancements to the ROM or Kernel are encouraged, and will be given prominent feature status in this post.

Your device needs to be set up as stock or stock-like (e.g. GeeWiz 2.8) before installing this ROM/Kernel. If you are currently running with an MTD-based platform, the device must be reverted back to the original OEM volume format. Please refer to the forum/thread were you acquired your current ROM for guidance on how to revert the device as necessary.

Installing this ROM/Kernel or any other provided component(s) will void your device's warranty, and I cannot be held responsible for any damages of any kind (including data loss) that are incurred either directly or indirectly by these packages and components. What you do to your device is ultimately your problem!

FEATURES

• Android Jelly Bean AOSP build JZO54K (android-4.1.2_r1)
  • Google Apps version JZO54K from the Galaxy Nexus
  • All devices (GPS, compass, orientation, camera, flash) are functional
  • Wifi (WPA/WPA2) and Bluetooth Tethering support
  • Supports OEM DBDATA volume to keep performance reasonable
  • Supports both RFS and EXT4 formatting on all volumes
  • OEM USB modes (CD-ROM/Kies/MTP) replaced with standard Android Mass Storage
  • Advanced Battery Settings: Maximum Charge, Automatic Recharge Point
  • Advanced CPU Settings: Maximum/Minimum Clock Speed, Governor Selection
  • Advanced In-Call Volume Boost Selection
  • Backlight Notifications built into system, controlled by the OS
  • Supercurio Voodoo Sound 10
  • Fascinate Dock audio simulates a true USB audio device for seamless output path switching
  • Custom Dock options - Enable BLN, Stay Awake, Enable audio output

CREDITS

While it would be impossible to remember/cite every possible reference that was used during development, I would like to specifically thank the following teams/individuals for making their work public so that others could learn from it and in more cases than not, shamelessly "borrow" it:
  • jt1134 - A primary source of knowledge for all things Samsung Fascinate
  • sgtkwol - Maintains a Linux 2.6 kernel for the Epic that provided a vast amount of reference material for the kernel updates
  • pawitp - Fixed my video driver changes to eliminate a 'microlag' issue (thank you!)
  • Entropy512- Customizations to allow WPA/WPA2 Wifi Tethering to work on the Galaxy S
  • teamhacksung - Maintains a large repository for all Galaxy S devices, I can't count how many code compares I did against their material
  • Cyanogenmod - The fact that this ROM can make a call at all is thanks to this team. So much of this effort is based on theirs!
  • rxwookie - A long-time supporter of all things GeeWiz and always takes the time to help other folks out here. I think he probably knows more about GeeWiz than I do!

ACTIVATION AND PROVISIONING

While I have no reason to believe that activation/provisioning wouldn't work properly on this ROM, it is a difficult thing to test on CDMA networks. Until it's been established that activation/provisioning is indeed working properly, I suggest you do not use anything like the ODIN "EFS Clear" option that may affect it. If the phone was properly provisioned before installing this ROM, it should maintain that provisioning. I have successfully activated a Fascinate on this ROM, but have not tested the process enough to be fully confident with it.

KNOWN ISSUES

USB Mass Storage / ADB may not work after device has been docked
After docking and removing the device from a Samsung Fascinate dock, USB Mass Storage and/or ADB may stop working. When this occurs, the only way to restore USB connectivity is to power off the device and power it back on. Rebooting is not sufficient and will not alleviate the problem.

FIRST-TIME INSTALLATION RECOMMENDATION

This ROM performs significantly better when the device uses the EXT4 file system. Unfortunately, using ODIN will always format the device with the RFS file system. Unlike previous versions of GeeWiz, the new "Full Wipe" ODIN package has been modified such that it will format the data volumes (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) with the EXT4 file system on the first boot. This is now the recommended installation method for first-time installation.

If the "Full Wipe" ODIN package is not used, please note that your data must be wiped manually if coming from another ROM to avoid problems, and I strongly recommend converting, at minimum, the data volumes of the device (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) to the EXT4 file system.

UPGRADING FROM GEEWIZ 3.2/3.3

GeeWiz 3.2.x/3.3.x Versions can be upgraded directly to GeeWiz 3.4 without a need to wipe the device data or revert the file system back to RFS. The EDIFY update-zip below is compatible with most, if not all, recoveries and will work regardless of if the device is formatted with RFS or EXT4.
  • Your Dalvik-cache will be automatically wiped, so the first reboot will take a long time
  • Due to problems with some Google services after a kernel change, the Google Services Framework package will have its data cleared during installation. You will be prompted to accept Google's location services again

DOWNLOADS

EDIFY Update-Zip (ClockworkMod / GeeWiz Recovery) Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (EDIFY Update-Zip)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ascgikdaqdg3ai5/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.zip
MD5: 6b2e280f9d51492febec43b8b9fa3bd4

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (EDIFY Update-Zip)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5fxee76vrxv28eq/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.zip
MD5: 9869d3138279d99f1237a442f7573cad

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision. Your data volumes will be formatted with EXT4 on the first boot
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2266vgo7uma5xmk/geewiz-3.4-fullwipe-01122013.tar.md5
MD5: 0d6c2cf955d0024c925c2d10ce046e1d

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (ODIN)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jzfwybqu6ns70ay/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.tar.md5
MD5: 46e17141a8f8a8ae48001c3e4653e088

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (ODIN)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5gov2c1r8836tj/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.tar.md5
MD5: b70d4063dffaa9cd89629f307d3beae5

SOURCE CODE
The entire baseline for GeeWiz is available on github: https://www.github.com/djp952.
  • Device repo: android-platform-device-samsung-atlas3g (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
  • Kernel repo: android-kernel-atlas (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
Please see post #2 of this thread for an overview of how to build the GeeWiz ROM/Kernel from source as well as how to package your modifications. I would be happy to include any XDA community developed modifications or enhancements to the baseline as featured packages, add-ons or patches for GeeWiz!

Disclaimer: djp952 reserves the right to mercilessly kang your changes and assimilate them when you fix things that he was unable to. djp952 will also give you *major* props and full credit for the fix, so it's not that bad, right?

Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
HOW TO BUILD THE GEEWIZ 3 ROM AND KERNEL

A common request I've gotten is how to build either the GeeWiz ROM or kernel from source. I think GeeWiz 3 is a little less intimidating as a first step for getting into AOSP builds since it doesn't stray too far from the Android baseline, and the kernel is based on Samsung's stock model for the device rather than the enhanced MTD model. Whatever the reason, I'm happy to try and describe how I build these components and generate the packages that I post for the community. Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's a bit wonky, but as long as I don't miss anything important it should be a workable process for anyone that would like to get into building custom Android builds.

I think GeeWiz 3 would be a great learning tool, it works as-is but leaves enough room for additional customizations and enhancements that it may be a better place to start than jumping into something like Cyanogenmod or AOKP as your first project. It's up to date at the moment with the latest Android code as well, so that's a definite bonus as opposed to working with something like Gingerbread where tricks you learn may not apply to the next project you take on.

BUILD ENVIRONMENT

I use Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop x64 for my Android build environment, and even though Google states that this environment is "Experimental", I've not run into any issues with it. To get started, simply follow the directions Google has provided here:

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

If you are running on Windows x64, I can also recommend using a Virtual Machine as your build environment. I like Oracle VirtualBox the best, but the stock Fascinate code by Samsung has major USB problems with it, you won't be able to use ADB or Heimdall. For Fascinate-specific development I recommend VMWare Player since it can work with the stock USB. Note that you need an x64 OS and a CPU with Virtualization Support to host an x64 guest OS regardless of the software you choose. The best performance and compatibility will come from installing Linux natively on your system.

DOWNLOAD GEEWIZ SOURCE TREE

Once your environment is set up, you of course need some source code. I've opted to use Google's repo tool and AOSP manifests to control the source tree, so the first thing you need is the Google repo tool. Follow the first section of this document, entitled "Installing Repo":

http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

I have two separate "builds", or in Android terms Manifests out there. One is called DEFAULT and includes just changes to AOSP necessary to support the Fascinate. The other is called CUSTOMBUILD and adds the light OS customizations I have done. Since I never use DEFAULT and I'm not sure t even builds at the moment, we're going to use CUSTOMBUILD, or as it's called here at XDA "GeeWiz".

• Open a terminal window to your home directory (~/)
  • mkdir android
  • mkdir android/platform
  • cd android/platform
  • repo init -u https://github.com/djp952/android -m custombuild.xml -b android-4.1.2_r1
What we just did was initialize the repository for AOSP, but haven't downloaded anything yet. The -u argument to repo tells it where to find the manifest XML files. In this case, my github "android" repo. The -m tells it what manifest to use. The -b tells it what branch to pull. This is important because like most folks, I have multiple branches out there. I have been indicating at the very end of the first post what the current active branch is, android-4.1.2_r1 right now.

At this point, I suggest going into the ~/android/platform/.repo/manifests directory and having a look at the manifest file. (.repo is a hidden folder). Open up custombuild.xml in GEDIT and you can see that I've taken the AOSP manifest and simply replaced portions of it to point into my own github repos for things I've changed. I'll try to include details on how I manage this below so you could do something similar if you want to.

The most time-consuming part of building Android is downloading the code. Can't go much farther without it, so get yourself a cup of coffee and a good book ...

• In the terminal, at the ~/android/platform directory
  • repo sync
The SYNC command uses the manifest to go get all the code. Most of it is going to come from Google, but all the bits I've altered will come from my github instead. It's going to take a very long time to download.

BUILD GEEWIZ ROM

Once downloaded, we have to choose what device to build for. GeeWiz has two target devices, "atlas" and "atlas3g" (Technically, there are three as I use the same build for "toro" - VZW Galaxy Nexus). Atlas is the Wifi-only target known here as "GeeWiz Media". Atlas3G adds to that changes required to include voice/data support (mostly courtesy of Cyanogenmod!). Let's assume if you're reading this, you're interested in Atlas3G.

• In the terminal, at the ~/android/platform directory
  • source build/envsetup.sh
  • lunch
The "Lunch Menu" (haha Google) will present you with a list of device builds to choose from. You can select by number, or you can type in anything not on the menu. As of this writing, the build we want is #8, full_atlas3g-userdebug. userdebug generates a generally release-quality build, but doesn't odex (pre-optimize) the APKs and has some additional debugging support you wouldn't ordinarily find. You could also type in full_atlas3g-eng for an "Engineering" build or full_atlas3g-user for a "Release" build. I think you'll prefer userdebug most of the time.

• Select 8 - full_atlas3g-userdebug
  • make -j4 rompackage
This will kick off the build. It will take a long time the first time through. The rompackage argument is something I added to AOSP to support the Fascinate. This will build the EDIFY update-zip that I upload for everyone and use to generate the ODIN packages (more on that later). On typical Android devices, you would use otapackage (update-zip install) or updatepackage (fastboot install) instead. Fascinate is a special needs child, so it gets a special needs build process.

Once it's done, provided I didn't forget anything important here, you'll have a full ROM/Kernel package ready to be flashed via Clockworkmod or GeeWiz Recovery in the ~/android/platform/out/target/product/atlas3g folder. It will be named along the lines of full_atlas3g-rom-YYYYMMDD.HHMMSS.zip. Making a package for ODIN involves more steps, but I'll get to that. First I have to tell you how to build a modified Kernel ...

BUILDING THE GEEWIZ KERNEL

The Atlas and Atlas3G repos have a pre-compiled kernel in them that is packaged with the ROM build. This section will describe how to build and include customized versions of that kernel. First step is, of course, to get the source code. Both ROMs share a kernel but due to differences in the ramdisk (initramfs), they are built independently.

Now the build environment needs to be set up. I use the compiler provided with AOSP to build the kernel as this is how Google does it. If you are using a different compiler, or have put your AOSP tree into a different location, you may have to modify these commands slightly.

• In a Terminal, at the ~/android/android-kernel-atlas directory
  • export ARCH=arm
  • export SUBARCH=arm
  • export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
  • export PATH=~/android/platform/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin:$PATH
NOTE: From this point forward, don't close that Terminal, otherwise you will have to execute the environment export commands again.

The kernel is built in three steps. This is necessary because the Fascinate doesn't conform to Android's models and we have to include the ramdisk (initramfs) in the kernel image. The first step is to select which device you are building the kernel for, which in this case will be "atlas3g_defconfig". (The other configuration for GeeWiz Media is called "atlas_defconfig").

• make atlas3g_defconfig
This initializes the kernel build for Atlas3G. Since we need to build the ramdisk as part of the kernel, the next step is to generate any loadable kernel module (.ko) files that need to be part of that ramdisk

• make modules
The way I have the kernel set up, it will pull the necessary files for the ramdisk by looking at the device "initramfs.list" file, in the AOSP tree. The file that describes the atlas3g ramdisk, for example, is in ~/android/platform/device/samsung/atlas3g. If you examine this file you can see that it lists where all the files should come from, relative to the kernel source root directory. This explains why I went through how to build the AOSP tree before the kernel, the kernel depends on the AOSP build. Provided everything is in the right place, it's time to build the kernel

• make
This executes the main kernel build. Should any ramdisk files be missing, it will error out early on and let you know what the problem is. Assuming everything goes well, your kernel will be in the ~/android/android-kernel-atlas/arch/arm/boot directory. It's named zImage and it's the combined kernel/ramdisk required for the Fascinate.

This zImage file can now be flashed directly to the device with Heimdall, packaged up for ODIN, etc. However in order to make it part of your AOSP build and corresponding EDIFY update-zip, we have to copy it into the AOSP tree and rebuild the ROM. It's a bit tedious, and other folks have different and more streamlined ways of accomplishing this, but this method has worked for me.

• cp ~/android/android-kernel-atlas/arch/arm/boot/zImage ~/android/platform/device/samsung/atlas3g/kernel
  • cd ~/android/platform
  • source build/envsetup.sh
  • lunch full_atlas3g-userdebug
  • make installclean
  • make -j4 rompackage
This set of commands will clean out and rebuild your ROM package with the updated kernel.

CREATING ODIN PACKAGES

While not the most popular way for people to install your ROM, no guide would be complete without describing how to generate the ODIN-based installation packages. I like to provide a "Full Wipe" ODIN package that will take care of resetting the device while flashing the new ROM/Kernel, it's an easy way for people that are comfortable with ODIN to just completely replace the contents of their phone with your stuff. For this section, I'm going to assume that you are using GeeWiz Recovery, version 2.8 or later. Other recoveries will work, but as you may expect I'm most familiar with the one I made and I know for certain it has all the necessary features in place.

The ODIN factoryfs.rfs file must be generated by formatting the SYSTEM volume with RFS and then installing your ROM:

• Copy your generated EDIFY update-zip to the SDCARD
  • Reboot into GeeWiz Recovery
  • Wipe the device data by selecting Wipe Device Data and then Wipe all User Data (Factory Reset)
  • Press the HOME key to return to the main menu
  • Format the SYSTEM volume with RFS by selecting Manage Volumes / Format Volumes / Format SYSTEM / Format SYSTEM [rfs]
  • Select Install Update Package, and choose your EDIFY update-zip to install
  • After the installation is complete, reboot the phone by selecting Exit from the main menu. Not rebooting the device after the flash will result in a bad ODIN file more often than not. Trust me on this one.
After the device has fully booted, reboot it back into GeeWiz Recovery. The next step will be to generate a backup of the RFS-formatted SYSTEM volume to ultimately use with ODIN. GeeWiz Recovery can create these by choosing to execute a "raw dump" of the volume:
  • Select Manage Volumes / Backup Volumes / Backup SYSTEM / Backup SYSTEM [raw dump]
GeeWiz Recovery tries to keep volumes unmounted after it's done working, so the SDCARD must be mounted before the contents can be accessed with ADB:
  • Select Manage Volumes / Mount Volumes / Mount SDCARD
GeeWiz Recovery will store the backup as /sdcard/backup/volume/SYSTEM-YYYYMMDD.img.gz, so as an example, I might pull it to my home folder with this command:

• adb pull /sdcard/backup/volume/SYSTEM-20121022.img.gz ~/
The .gz file will contain a compressed copy of the backup, just open it up, extract the file, and then rename it to factoryfs.rfs. This is the SYSTEM volume for ODIN. There are also a number of other files you can include in your ODIN package to perform various other flash or wipe operations (I'll tell you where to get them, too)

boot.bin - Will replace the primary bootloader. VERY DANGEROUS to include, I strongly recommend against including it.
cache.rfs - Will wipe the CACHE volume; necessary if you want the device to boot into recovery automatically and run a command
dbdata.rfs - Will wipe the DBDATA volume
factoryfs.rfs - Will replace the SYSTEM volume
modem.bin - Will replace the CDMA modem
movinand.bin - Will wipe the DATA, PREINSTALL and FOTA volumes
param.lfs - Will replace the parameter block. Semi-dangerous to include, but required to ensure an initial boot into recovery mode
recovery.bin - Will replace the RECOVERY kernel and ramdisk
Sbl.bin - Will replace the secondary bootloader. VERY DANGEROUS to include, I strongly recommend against including it.
zImage - Will replace the BOOT kernel and ramdisk

To generate an ODIN-compatible tarball, gather the files you want to include and execute the following commands from a Terminal. Replace tarfilename.tar with the name you want to give the tarball, and replace file file file file with the names of the files from the table above you want to include:

• tar --format=ustar -cf tarfilename.tar file file file file
  • md5sum -t tarfilename.tar >> tarfilename.tar
  • mv tarfilename.tar tarfilename.tar.md5
NOTE: If you rename the .TAR file, it will invalidate the MD5 checksum and you will have to md5sum it again.

OK, where to get the files. You can access a "full stock" ODIN package for the Fascinate, like the EH03 version that is available here on XDA to get copies of all the stock versions of these files. Or, you can use the ones from my ODIN "Full Wipe" package if you'd like as well. My ODIN tarball has a gimmick that you may find useful. If you include my copies of cache.rfs, param.lfs and recovery.bin, the device will initially reboot into recovery and automatically format the CACHE, DATA and DBDATA volumes with the EXT4 file system. It's a relatively simple trick, but an effective one to help improve the performance of your ROM. I also like to provide a "syskernel" tarball that includes only factoryfs.rfs and zImage. The benefit of this is that it will not wipe out any of your user's data. The downside is that the user may be responsible for going into Recovery on their own and executing any steps your EDIFY update-zip would have typically taken care of, like clearing the Dalvik-cache.

==================

For now, that pretty much sums it up! I can expand on this, or perhaps more appropriately compress it (I am a tad verbose!) based on feedback and how useful this little guide ends up being for everyone. Let me know -- PM me or post here in this thread, I'll see it either way!

Last edited:
Reactions: cantevengo

swapnilss

Sep 9, 2008
mumbai
Downloading now. Will reply with the results soon
Just have one question though. I am on a voodoo kernel ie kgb with geewiz 2.9 rom. And I will be using the edify update method to flash the 3.2 rom. Do I need to convert the file system to ext? Or can I just flash it over the existing setup.
Thanks in advance

edit...I flashed the JB rom on the above setup. The phone is stuck at the big X logo. Doesnt seem to go beyond that. So i went back to stock froyo. Then flashed GW 2.8.1. Booted properly. Everything working fine. Next i flashed geewiz recovery & converted files to ext4. rebooted. works fine too. Flashed JB rom. Phone still stuck at the X logo.
Kindly help...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Downloading now. Will reply with the results soon
Just have one question though. I am on a voodoo kernel ie kgb with geewiz 2.9 rom. And I will be using the edify update method to flash the 3.2 rom. Do I need to convert the file system to ext? Or can I just flash it over the existing setup.
Thanks in advance

edit...I flashed the JB rom on the above setup. The phone is stuck at the big X logo. Doesnt seem to go beyond that. So i went back to stock froyo. Then flashed GW 2.8.1. Booted properly. Everything working fine. Next i flashed geewiz recovery & converted files to ext4. rebooted. works fine too. Flashed JB rom. Phone still stuck at the X logo.
Kindly help...

Let me follow those exact steps and see what happens. Mandatory silly question: did you wipe data after installing the JB rom?

Just to clarify to make sure I do the same thing, you went back to stock Froyo (ED05), not stock Gingerbread (EH03)?

It will sit at the X logo for quite some time after flashing the ROM, since it has to dalvik all the apps. "Quite some time" in this case means like 3-5 minutes though. It does take much longer than Gingerbread to do this, but it's not some craziness like half an hour.

:crying:

edit: If I can't duplicate this, I can post a kernel update where debugging is ON by default so we could use ADB to see what it's hanging up on, but I will totally understand if you don't want to go through all that effort. Been there!

Last edited:

gorm

Jun 6, 2009
Morganton, NC
Odined back to stock. Loaded full wipe 3.2 and everything is golden. MMS, WiFi etc works great.

Did have to restart before WiFi would start. ROM is a little laggy at first but once it settles performance is on par with other JB Roms:thumbup:

Thanks Mr.GeeWiz: looks great for a "beta"

Edit: speakerphone works great also, sweet^o^

Last edited:
Reactions: djp952

JJ5150

Oct 16, 2011
i decided to give this a try. everything works great. wifi did not require a reboot for me. camera, mms, wifi all work great. a little sluggish getting started, but pretty stable nonetheless. great work DJ. thanks

swapnilss

Sep 9, 2008
mumbai
Let me follow those exact steps and see what happens. Mandatory silly question: did you wipe data after installing the JB rom?

Just to clarify to make sure I do the same thing, you went back to stock Froyo (ED05), not stock Gingerbread (EH03)?

It will sit at the X logo for quite some time after flashing the ROM, since it has to dalvik all the apps. "Quite some time" in this case means like 3-5 minutes though. It does take much longer than Gingerbread to do this, but it's not some craziness like half an hour.

:crying:

edit: If I can't duplicate this, I can post a kernel update where debugging is ON by default so we could use ADB to see what it's hanging up on, but I will totally understand if you don't want to go through all that effort. Been there!

Hi djp,
I forgot to mention that I have bought the handset from Reliance (mobile service provider in India ). And that puts a limitation on me as I am not able to wipe the data dalvik and cache whenever I flash my phone to a new rom. If I do the data wipe I lose my 1x/3g Connectivity and I cannot restore it (tried various options like data fix files, apn restore etc etc) unless I flash the stock rom from Reliance (EK10 Froyo. No official gb rom for India yet ). Hence whenever I flash roms I do not wipe data. But in spite of that I have never faced any problems. Infact now the number of user apps is close to 100 and I can still flash any touchwiz rom (geewiz 2.8, 2.9, tsm resurrection and 2.2 etc without any problems. I am in no way promoting my method of not wiping but I have no other choice.
With the given restrictions that I have, please advise me how and what I can do to successfully flash JB rom. Currently there are no user apps in my device so clearing dalvik should not be a problem.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
Hi djp,
I forgot to mention that I have bought the handset from Reliance (mobile service provider in India ). And that puts a limitation on me as I am not able to wipe the data dalvik and cache whenever I flash my phone to a new rom. If I do the data wipe I lose my 1x/3g Connectivity and I cannot restore it (tried various options like data fix files, apn restore etc etc) unless I flash the stock rom from Reliance (EK10 Froyo. No official gb rom for India yet ). Hence whenever I flash roms I do not wipe data. But in spite of that I have never faced any problems. Infact now the number of user apps is close to 100 and I can still flash any touchwiz rom (geewiz 2.8, 2.9, tsm resurrection and 2.2 etc without any problems. I am in no way promoting my method of not wiping but I have no other choice.
With the given restrictions that I have, please advise me how and what I can do to successfully flash JB rom. Currently there are no user apps in my device so clearing dalvik should not be a problem.

Ah, I see your point. When you had problems with activation, were you wiping data using Recovery or using the "Factory Reset" option in the OS? The latter, at least the Samsung version of it, will indeed nuke your activation. However, using Recovery to do it *shouldn't* affect anything. The activation stuff is stored in some secret location that recovery doesn't affect. I honestly have no idea where it's even stored, I used to think it was on the "EFS" volume, but as it turns out it's not!

I've never spent any real time trying to figure out a more surgical way to wipe data other than nuking the DATA and DBDATA partitions completely. Unfortunately, I don't really have the necessary knowledge to be able to do it any other way. While I'm relatively confident that wiping data through Recovery won't hurt, of course I cannot be 100% certain of that.

I apologize that I don't know enough about the non-Verizon models to be more confident in a recommendation for you. From what I know of the SCH-I500 CDMA, wiping outside of the Samsung OS, changing the modem version, or using the evil "EFS Clear" option in ODIN has never affected activation for me.

Sorry sir. Without a wipe, this one's not going to work. Just too far removed from the stock ROMs.

Reactions: swapnilss

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
I can duplicate the Wifi issue and am looking into it. For me, it just took a REALLY long time for it to turn on, like 10 minutes. I think I know what I've done that might cause this and hope to fix it :) Getting the logs now.

edit: I think I see what the problem is, not sure why it hasn't been an issue with the "Media" version. I have to dynamically load and unload the Wifi driver to prevent bad things from happening, this isn't the usual way it's done. The OS is set up to start the Wifi "supplicant" automatically, when it probably shouldn't be. The supplicant can't load if the wifi driver isn't up yet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and when it doesn't Wifi will be hosed until the OS sorts it out. I have two solutions to try, the first is to see how Android behaves if I don't allow the supplicant to be started as part of the "main" service class, the second is to figure out that aforementioned bad thing and do it more properly. I'll get it. Sorry for the bug :)

Thanks for trying this guys! I never expected it to be as good as the "big" ROMs, and I wish I could do something about it being so ungodly slow for a while. It seems to pick up and work properly after all the apps have been updated and it's had a chance to do all the Google backups and whatnot that it wants to do.

One problem I saw yesterday for the first time that you might need to watch out for ... The battery TANKED in a matter of 2 hours for some reason. It looks like Google Search went off the reservation. I've also seen "GPS Status and Toolbox" destroy the battery if you don't close it all the way (long-press HOME, then swipe it away).

Oh, one cool feature we have now ... "Take Bug Report". Check in Settings/Developer options to see it. What this does is collect all kinds of logs and information about the phone and make an e-mail out of it. The default sends it to your GMail account. It's about 3MB, but it will be nice to have something everybody can use to gather logs for problem resolution rather than asking folks to hack around in ADB. So, if you run into weirdness, you can click that button, wait a while and watch scary "shell has been granted superuser permissions" pop up a lot, and you'll ultimately end up in GMail with something you can send you me or post parts of here! Great that Google added that in an accessible way finally!!

Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
For the folks having trouble with turning Wifi on and off, I have an experimental/test patch for you. This patch will replace the GeeWiz 3.2 kernel with an updated version that changes the ramdisk/initramfs such that the wifi services are not started until Android requests them to be started. It may affect Wifi and Bluetooth Tethering, but my testing of the change here for both showed no ill-effects:

GeeWiz 3.2.1 Wifi Patch [Experimental] [EDIFY update-zip]
REMOVED: Please use official patch in the DOWNLOADS section of the main post

NOTE: You will be asked to re-opt-into the Google Location service on the first boot, this is normal. I clear the "Google Services Framework" app on any kernel change now to avoid the well known Jelly Bean issues with losing connection to Google Services when you alter the kernel. This may have been fixed with JZO54K, but why risk it when all you have to do is click "Agree" :)

You may have to reboot once more after installing this to clear up the Wifi on/off problems so that the Android settings are synchronized with the changes. If after a second reboot this does not solve your problem, please let me know!

Rollback: This change can be rolled back by installing the EDIFY update-zip for GeeWiz 3.2 again on top of it without wiping data. I can also package/provide a more specific rollback that only undoes the changes if necessary.

Please let me know if this solves your Wifi issues or not, so that I can either post it as a primary patch for GeeWiz 3.2 (and GW Media 3.2) or take another crack at solving it :) Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: A-L31

swapnilss

Sep 9, 2008
mumbai
Ah, I see your point. When you had problems with activation, were you wiping data using Recovery or using the "Factory Reset" option in the OS? The latter, at least the Samsung version of it, will indeed nuke your activation. However, using Recovery to do it *shouldn't* affect anything. The activation stuff is stored in some secret location that recovery doesn't affect. I honestly have no idea where it's even stored, I used to think it was on the "EFS" volume, but as it turns out it's not!

I've never spent any real time trying to figure out a more surgical way to wipe data other than nuking the DATA and DBDATA partitions completely. Unfortunately, I don't really have the necessary knowledge to be able to do it any other way. While I'm relatively confident that wiping data through Recovery won't hurt, of course I cannot be 100% certain of that.

I apologize that I don't know enough about the non-Verizon models to be more confident in a recommendation for you. From what I know of the SCH-I500 CDMA, wiping outside of the Samsung OS, changing the modem version, or using the evil "EFS Clear" option in ODIN has never affected activation for me.

Sorry sir. Without a wipe, this one's not going to work. Just too far removed from the stock ROMs.

Hi!
Wiped data dalvik and cache & now I am on JellyBean. Thanks djp952. :good::good::good:
This Rom looks great and apart from the Wifi issue ( havent got time to update my phone with the patch for wifi issue as yet) which takes some time to start or sometimes just rebooted my phone altogether, everything seems to work fine. Had a problem verifying Whatsapp but used their "Verify by Call" method and now its working fine too. Battery life seems good to me as of now. Liked the inbuilt BLN.
Sadly, as i mentioned before, i lost my 1x/3g connectivity (nothing to do with this Rom) and thats Ok for a day or two till i try & figure out something to enable it again. By the way, i have always done the wipe through recovery only. Never used the factory reset option in settings menu. And that means the 1x/3g settings get wiped out the moment I wipe Data (note: wiping dalvik & cache does not affect it).
Anyways , looking forward for more developments on this rom from you.

edit... The stock gallery does not seem to show all the files available in that folder. I have 1400 plus pics in that DCIM folder and the stock gallery shows 1000 or sometimes 500 only.

Last edited:

rxwookie

Sep 19, 2011
QuickPic

The stock gallery does not seem to show all the files available in that folder. I have 1400 plus pics in that DCIM folder and the stock gallery shows 1000 or sometimes 500 only.

We are a little off topic, but... I too have had nothing but problems with the stock Gallery application... not loading at all, not showing pictures, generally being grumpy (okay, so I get that way too sometimes), etc.

Try Quickpic (http://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder) , it's a free app that is a gallery replacement (ad-free too!). Just make it the default and you should be set. If, for some reason, you don't like it... Just uninstall and revert back.

As for the Jellybean ROM... too sweet! I love having an original Galaxy S with JB running on it! I get questioned all the time what phone I have, because it's running the latest Android build and doesn't look like any out there right now.

Last edited:

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
I'll load up some huge amount of photos and have a look at Gallery. I could switch from using the Google Nexus version to the AOSP, if it shows any improvements. One bonus we could get there is that I enabled widescreen photos in the AOSP branch :) Didn't include it for various reasons, one I recall was that it would crash if you tried the "face detect" option.

I'll have a look -- maybe it can be fixed! I also have to download this "Whatsapp" that people are using ... never heard of it :) What does it do?

Thanks as always for the feedback guys! Glad it's going pretty well thus far :D

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
FYI for any aspiring developers, I've started making a "HOW TO" guide for building GeeWiz from scratch in Post #2:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33011164&postcount=2

I've gotten as far as how to make the AOSP ROM and compile the kernel. At minimum, I need to add how to make the ODIN files as well, but maybe later. Depending on level of interest, I can go into as much as anyone wants there, short of how to make actual code changes (but I could try to help offline). I think describing how to get from source to the flashable files is a good first step, I'll see how it goes from there :cowboy:

Reactions: swapnilss

JJ5150

Oct 16, 2011
DJ, you should link this on the home page of GeeWiz 2.9, so more folks can get this. Also, I think you should name it JellyWiz... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GEEWIZ 3.4 SCH-I500 JZO54K JELLY BEAN 4.1.2 ROM/KERNEL

RETIRED -- GEEWIZ 3.4 WAS THE FINAL RELEASE OF GEEWIZ BASED ON ANDROID 4.1

OTHER AVAILABLE GEEWIZ VERSIONS:
    GeeWiz 4 - AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088224

GeeWiz 3.4 is a ROM for the Samsung Fascinate, based on AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1. Like it's predecessors of the same name, GeeWiz doesn't aim to provide a lot of bells and whistles or incorporate all of the latest and greatest tweaks and enhancements developed by the community; the aim is to provide a basic, stable, functional device.

GeeWiz 3.4 uses a modified version of the GeeWiz 2.8 Gingerbread (Linux 2.6) kernel with a number of very specific tweaks/hacks in order to continue to support the proprietary Samsung RFS file system and other features I wanted to carry over. As a result, this ROM may not be used in conjunction with any other Kernel, and this Kernel cannot be used in conjunction with any other ROM. Please consider it a "matched set", and they will always be updated/distributed together. XDA community developed enhancements to the ROM or Kernel are encouraged, and will be given prominent feature status in this post.

Your device needs to be set up as stock or stock-like (e.g. GeeWiz 2.8) before installing this ROM/Kernel. If you are currently running with an MTD-based platform, the device must be reverted back to the original OEM volume format. Please refer to the forum/thread were you acquired your current ROM for guidance on how to revert the device as necessary.

Installing this ROM/Kernel or any other provided component(s) will void your device's warranty, and I cannot be held responsible for any damages of any kind (including data loss) that are incurred either directly or indirectly by these packages and components. What you do to your device is ultimately your problem!

FEATURES

• Android Jelly Bean AOSP build JZO54K (android-4.1.2_r1)
    • Google Apps version JZO54K from the Galaxy Nexus
    • All devices (GPS, compass, orientation, camera, flash) are functional
    • Wifi (WPA/WPA2) and Bluetooth Tethering support
    • Supports OEM DBDATA volume to keep performance reasonable
    • Supports both RFS and EXT4 formatting on all volumes
    • OEM USB modes (CD-ROM/Kies/MTP) replaced with standard Android Mass Storage
    • Advanced Battery Settings: Maximum Charge, Automatic Recharge Point
    • Advanced CPU Settings: Maximum/Minimum Clock Speed, Governor Selection
    • Advanced In-Call Volume Boost Selection
    • Backlight Notifications built into system, controlled by the OS
    • Supercurio Voodoo Sound 10
    • Fascinate Dock audio simulates a true USB audio device for seamless output path switching
    • Custom Dock options - Enable BLN, Stay Awake, Enable audio output

CREDITS

While it would be impossible to remember/cite every possible reference that was used during development, I would like to specifically thank the following teams/individuals for making their work public so that others could learn from it and in more cases than not, shamelessly "borrow" it:
    • jt1134 - A primary source of knowledge for all things Samsung Fascinate
    • sgtkwol - Maintains a Linux 2.6 kernel for the Epic that provided a vast amount of reference material for the kernel updates
    • pawitp - Fixed my video driver changes to eliminate a 'microlag' issue (thank you!)
    • Entropy512- Customizations to allow WPA/WPA2 Wifi Tethering to work on the Galaxy S
    • teamhacksung - Maintains a large repository for all Galaxy S devices, I can't count how many code compares I did against their material
    • Cyanogenmod - The fact that this ROM can make a call at all is thanks to this team. So much of this effort is based on theirs!
    • rxwookie - A long-time supporter of all things GeeWiz and always takes the time to help other folks out here. I think he probably knows more about GeeWiz than I do!

ACTIVATION AND PROVISIONING

While I have no reason to believe that activation/provisioning wouldn't work properly on this ROM, it is a difficult thing to test on CDMA networks. Until it's been established that activation/provisioning is indeed working properly, I suggest you do not use anything like the ODIN "EFS Clear" option that may affect it. If the phone was properly provisioned before installing this ROM, it should maintain that provisioning. I have successfully activated a Fascinate on this ROM, but have not tested the process enough to be fully confident with it.

KNOWN ISSUES

USB Mass Storage / ADB may not work after device has been docked
    After docking and removing the device from a Samsung Fascinate dock, USB Mass Storage and/or ADB may stop working. When this occurs, the only way to restore USB connectivity is to power off the device and power it back on. Rebooting is not sufficient and will not alleviate the problem.

FIRST-TIME INSTALLATION RECOMMENDATION

This ROM performs significantly better when the device uses the EXT4 file system. Unfortunately, using ODIN will always format the device with the RFS file system. Unlike previous versions of GeeWiz, the new "Full Wipe" ODIN package has been modified such that it will format the data volumes (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) with the EXT4 file system on the first boot. This is now the recommended installation method for first-time installation.

If the "Full Wipe" ODIN package is not used, please note that your data must be wiped manually if coming from another ROM to avoid problems, and I strongly recommend converting, at minimum, the data volumes of the device (DATA, DBDATA, CACHE) to the EXT4 file system.

UPGRADING FROM GEEWIZ 3.2/3.3

GeeWiz 3.2.x/3.3.x Versions can be upgraded directly to GeeWiz 3.4 without a need to wipe the device data or revert the file system back to RFS. The EDIFY update-zip below is compatible with most, if not all, recoveries and will work regardless of if the device is formatted with RFS or EXT4.
    • Your Dalvik-cache will be automatically wiped, so the first reboot will take a long time
    • Due to problems with some Google services after a kernel change, the Google Services Framework package will have its data cleared during installation. You will be prompted to accept Google's location services again

DOWNLOADS

EDIFY Update-Zip (ClockworkMod / GeeWiz Recovery) Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ascgikdaqdg3ai5/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.zip
    MD5: 6b2e280f9d51492febec43b8b9fa3bd4

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5fxee76vrxv28eq/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.zip
    MD5: 9869d3138279d99f1237a442f7573cad

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
    This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision. Your data volumes will be formatted with EXT4 on the first boot
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/2266vgo7uma5xmk/geewiz-3.4-fullwipe-01122013.tar.md5
    MD5: 0d6c2cf955d0024c925c2d10ce046e1d

GeeWiz 3.4 ROM/Kernel (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jzfwybqu6ns70ay/geewiz-3.4-syskernel-01122013.tar.md5
    MD5: 46e17141a8f8a8ae48001c3e4653e088

GeeWiz 2.8 Recovery (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5gov2c1r8836tj/geewiz-2.8-recovery-04162012.tar.md5
    MD5: b70d4063dffaa9cd89629f307d3beae5

SOURCE CODE
    The entire baseline for GeeWiz is available on github: https://www.github.com/djp952.
    • Device repo: android-platform-device-samsung-atlas3g (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
    • Kernel repo: android-kernel-atlas (branch android-4.1.2_r1)
    Please see post #2 of this thread for an overview of how to build the GeeWiz ROM/Kernel from source as well as how to package your modifications. I would be happy to include any XDA community developed modifications or enhancements to the baseline as featured packages, add-ons or patches for GeeWiz!

Disclaimer: djp952 reserves the right to mercilessly kang your changes and assimilate them when you fix things that he was unable to. djp952 will also give you *major* props and full credit for the fix, so it's not that bad, right?
    LOL, I think I do about 95% of all the posting to this thread so far :)

I wanted to let you know that I am getting closer to understanding the in-call audio path issues. I'm working on the output paths tonight (receiver vs. headphone vs. speakerphone, etc). What seems to be happening here is that the code is killing itself off prematurely, which sends the audio into standby and effectively mutes everything. When you change the path, for example by enabling the speakerphone, it will wake up and work. Input paths also seem to have some problems, I don't see it ever switching from the receiver mic to anything else under any circumstances.

It's fixable, but I don't think I can do it in the next hour or so (stranger things have happened, though). As I indicated before, I will be in Europe from tomorrow until next Wednesday, and while I was really hoping to make some progress on this problem beforehand, it's not looking that way. If I dream up some epiphany that can be coded and tested in about 30 minutes tomorrow before I leave, maybe I can post something, but please don't count on it. Sorry guys. :crying: My phone needs flashing to the Wifi-Only GeeWiz Media for the overseas trip ... there are all kinds of Angry Birds levels I need to complete on the plane!!
    I installed the patch and have been testing it for a couple of hours. No driver crashes. Wi-Fi toggles smoothly. I think you squashed that bug.

Thanks!

Woohoo! Very glad to hear it, I'll promote 3.3.3 to the main post and dump the "experimental" part :D Building/testing this change for GeeWiz Media 3 at the moment. It's nice to get one right! <score!> Please let me know if it acts up again, I'm always willing to try and fix what I can.

Just have to say " wow ".... the way you develop and issue out posts in detail and updates just amazes me...

Got to be honest I have never tried your geewiz . Yet... It sounds so tempting and i love to know all about the whys and hows :) even if i don't always understand it

So props to you ;) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Why thank you, hhp_221! I try to be a little more verbose than most folks, often far too much so (mainly because I suffer from a terminal case of verbal diarrhea :eek:) but also definitely for those that are interested in whatever process I'm happening down. I'm wrong a heck of a lot more often than I'm right, but so far other than trying to get this ROM to work properly in India for swapnilss, I've managed to stumble my way out of pretty much everything bad that's come up, given enough time :eek: If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know what you think! Believe me, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it, it's certainly a little "Spartan" compared to most offerings these days, I'm flattered that so many people have tried it at all given the other options available.

edit: Android 4.2 GeeWiz is still coming as well, the only remaining major problem to solve before giving you guys something legitimate to chew on is Bluetooth, and I think I'm getting closer to the solution there. It works about 50% of the time now and I even had A2DP work for about 10 seconds - lol. I did finally fix Superuser for 4.2 by compiling it myself from ChainsDD's latest code. That guy is great, he even made his keys public so source-built versions still link up with his official ones on Google Play Store. No ETA yet, but "soon" seems appropriate ...
    Hi everyone. I seem to spend more time apologizing to you than making progress on this, but I was called away on business rather suddenly there and just got back home tonight. FWIW, I love Kansas City :)

I have not abandoned ya, I just wasn't able to do anything useful for you in the past week. Android 4.2 is out (cool), but while I am working to get that on my VZW Galaxy Nexus, they dropped support for the Nexus S, which is not necessarily a good thing for this. For now, I'm going to follow suit and keep this at Android 4.1.2 while I work on these annoying problems. When I left, my test phone was working much better for output, but I hadn't gotten to the input (microphone/speakerphone mic/headset mic) yet. My wife bought a nifty headset with a mic I can borrow to work on that part, hopefully soon.

All I can really do is apologize at this point. I want this to work, but actual "work" keeps getting in my way :crying:
    Sorry I only had a few hours to work on this recently and was getting extremely frustrated with myself :silly:

As of last night, I know what's wrong with the output audio paths (really), just working out the best way to resolve it. Now that I can see what's going on I can have a look at the input audio paths as well (speakerphone, headset mic, etc). The problems are generally related. What's happening is essentially what I first thought ... the audio paths are being closed when they shouldn't be (or perhaps more accurately "over-closed") by the HAL, and when you wake it back up by changing it (press speakerphone or remove the headset, for example), it opens up and works normally. When the phone is first booted, it works because the in-call audio gets opened, it's only after you use it once that it gets messed up.

*sigh* Getting there.