[ROM+Kernel][MAY 16, 2020] AOSP direct, Marshmallow 6.0 & NEW kernel, version 3.4.99

Search This thread
Thanks for the reply mrxsmith! I am using wired headphones but it actually seems to be my earbuds that are the problem - i didn't think to try a different set because they work on other devices. A different wired headset works on my nexus!

I never understood why they made good headphones, but cheap connections. it literally is about the quality of the connection in terms of the hardware. If I'm not mistaken though I could be wrong there is an extra ring on the headphone connector which indicates better quality music into the device you're listening from. Back in the older days, when wired had phones were more widely used, sometimes you were able to work it out with a small piece of tin foil. If you stuck it in there just right you would be able to make the extra connection.

graham_uk

Jul 28, 2008
@DragonFire1024 I salute and thank you for the work on this ROM. Having dusted off my old N10 i installed it without problem. I havent stayed with the ROM as im worried about the latest security patch being 2015 - this is the only issue i have. How significant a problem is this? Reading articles online it seems significant, please share your thoughts...thanks

@DragonFire1024 I salute and thank you for the work on this ROM. Having dusted off my old N10 i installed it without problem. I havent stayed with the ROM as im worried about the latest security patch being 2015 - this is the only issue i have. How significant a problem is this? Reading articles online it seems significant, please share your thoughts...thanks

Not anymore dangerous than what we're already doing to it. I did read somewhere there is a way to update the security patch however I'm not sure why I never got around to doing it or there might have been a problem with being able to do so I can't remember honestly. I have never had an Android device hacked not even remotely. I think the worst thing you have for you about when it comes to security in my opinion is when you lose the device itself.

graham_uk

Jul 28, 2008
Not anymore dangerous than what we're already doing to it. I did read somewhere there is a way to update the security patch however I'm not sure why I never got around to doing it or there might have been a problem with being able to do so I can't remember honestly. I have never had an Android device hacked not even remotely. I think the worst thing you have for you about when it comes to security in my opinion is when you lose the device itself.

Cheers for taking the time out to respond :)
I think there probably is a way just looking here Lineage 16. I just want to be safe, eek a bit more life out of what is a well used and loved device (heh just replaced the battery in it too) and watch some YouTube (thank you ad block browser) and Netflix (though the Netflix app wont install on the 10 and you cant sideload it either :mad:) but im sure i will find a way. I think as you kinda alluded too earlier, the N10 is too good a device not to be used .

Cheers for taking the time out to respond :)
I think there probably is a way just looking here Lineage 16. I just want to be safe, eek a bit more life out of what is a well used and loved device (heh just replaced the battery in it too) and watch some YouTube (thank you ad block browser) and Netflix (though the Netflix app wont install on the 10 and you cant sideload it either :mad:) but im sure i will find a way. I think as you kinda alluded too earlier, the N10 is too good a device not to be used .

And it really is unfortunate that they stopped updating the hardware on a software level in such a way that it makes it near impossible to get everything to all work once more. at least with the Nexus 10 we have the luxury of working with a device that wasn't butchered by another OEM to the point where you have to literally put the pieces of the code back together again and you're lucky if it works,which is much of the case with my Amazon fire HD 10. Speaking of the HD 10 I am implementing some tweaks in regards to the virtual machine and swap files that can be implemented across all devices, provided they have root access, with very little tweaking in between. And the cool part about these is you can unroot and they will still work.

My next focus at least on the Nexus 10, will try to be getting a higher kernel level beyond the three-point range. I don't know if it's even possible but it should be if the right stuff is ported over.

ushilives

Apr 28, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Poco F1
Just installed this rom and i vouch also this is the best rom i have tried on this device so far. havent noticed hardly any lag. Camera isn't important on it but gonna look to see if i can find a modded camera app that may work.

thomorph

Dec 28, 2010
Strasbourg
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Hi,
First of all thanks for your work.

I would like to give a try to this ROM, but never get the new kernel installed....

I unzip the boot.img-zimage.zip, unpack it with kitchen, copy the zip content in split_img, repack with ramdisk folder.
I install the TWRP rom then image-new then pico GAPPS, then the SUPERUSER
Reboot, but no 3.4.71

Any idea?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM+Kernel][MAY 16, 2020] AOSP direct, Marshmallow 6.0 & NEW kernel, version 3.4.99

****UPDATE****
    As of May 16, 2020, If you already have this ROM installed, please see this link for an updated kernel to version 3.4.99 with other various editions and Extras. If you are downloading and installing this ROM for the first time download the ROM and Flash it, and finish setting up your device before updating the kernel. You will have to flash Superuser or Magisk again (or whatever your root preference is) after installing the ROM or boot image regardless of whether you're coming from a fresh installation or updating the kernel.

The number of ROMS for the Nexus 10 has dwindled, and those that do remain, have too many bugs and not everything works. I spent a couple weeks looking for a good ROM and finally found one. I did NOT build this ROM, however I DID build the kernel from scratch.

What you get:
    - Android 6.0, Marshmallow ROM built directly from the AOSP source code. (built by Dmitry.GR)
    - Freshly updated kernel from 3.4.67 to 3.4.99, built by Me from source. I used the Manta kernel source (3.4.67) from Omnirom's android-6.0 branch and applied the official kernel patches 3.4.67-68 through 3.4.98-99. SELinux in the boot image provided by the ROM is disabled. Standalone updated kernel/boot image is permissive). Kernel in its original form, would not allow for a permissive selinux so the only option was to disable it.
    - In the updated boot image, ADB is insecure (ro.adb.secure=0 and ro.secure=0). This allows for an automatic root shell when running 'adb shell'. It also allows you to remount the filesystem RW through ADB, using the command 'adb remount'.
    - No swap or zram options on the original kernel because it was not performing properly. This is fixed on the standalone upgrades to the kernel I have been doing.

What doesn't work:
    - Location services may or may not work. If they don't, let me know as I do have a fix for that. For some reason, com.google.android.gms was removed from the framework-res (android system apk). Some apps won't recognize the device GPS and may tell you location is turned off when it actually isn't.
    - The camera work however oh, there is an issue with the flash. Every time you use flash the camera will crash after snapping the photo. This wouldn't be a problem except the photo doesn't get saved. I don't know what's causing it and until I can figure that out you can't use the flash on your camera.I have a suspicion or two but I haven't looked into it because I don't use the camera often enough and when I realized the problem I'm never at home to look.

Installation requirements and instructions:
    Required:
    1. Unlocked bootloader
    2. TWRP custom recovery
    3. PC with either Windows or Linux

Instructions:
    1. You need to wipe the device completely. Boot to recovery, select wipe, format data and type yes and confirm. When done, tap home, wipe, advanced wipe, select all and swipe to confirm. Tap home, reboot, reboot recovery.
    2. Once booted back to recovery, plug your tablet into your PC. It should be recognized.
    3. Download Open Gapps, ARM, 6.0, Pico and place it on the tablet's internal storage.
    4. Download the TWRP flashable zip that contains the ROM and place it on internal storage.
    5. Download the boot.img which contains the new Kernel, place in storage.
    6. Download SuperSU zip and place in storage.
    7. Once done, tap the home button then install. Select the TWRP flashable ROM zip and install it. When done tap home again, install, install image and select image-new.img and install.
    8. When finished tap home and install and install Open Gapps. When finished install SuperSU then reboot system when finished.

Kernel installation and updates ONLY

1. Download and extract the zImage from the provided zip at the end of the post.

2. You need to unpack the boot image from the ROM above. You can do this on Windows Linux or your own Android device with the Android image kitchen by XDA developer @osm0sis. After unpacking the image, open the folder named 'split image' and locate boot.img-zImage. make a copy of it and put it somewhere safe, then delete it from the split image folder.

3. Now take the zImage you extracted earlier and put it into the split-image folder, and rename it to boot.img-zImage. Repack your boot image which when done, will be default named to image-new.img.

4. Reboot the device into TWRP or the bootloader and flash your new boot image and reboot.

Screen shot below. You now have an awesome Marshmallow ROM and brand new Kernel for your Nexus 10!!

****Change Log****

February 10, 2020: Updated kernel version from 3.4.69 to 3.4.71. kernel patches not fully cooperating with the disabling of SELinux so I had to re-enable it. Simply placing a small script into /system/su.d (or locate wherever your su folder is and inside will be a su.d folder) to set selinux permissive on boot works perfectly. Create a text file called permissive.sh and copy and paste text below and save it to that folder with permissions: 777. If no su.d folder exists, create one in /system with permissions 755.

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    setenforce 0
    Alright I think I found the source of the issue. And I was again was looking in the wrong spot. It does appear, the issue lies within the kernel. I will post some screenshots later on but I wanted to give you an update before I forgot about anyting. So within the kernel you are able to choose between the V4L platform camera (I am assuming this is the unknown title camera likely SecCamera) and Exynos Camera Interface (ExynoxCameraHAL2 and 1.0 [camera 2.0 and camera 1.0). Here is where the problem begins. You cannot unselect the exynos camera therefore you also cannot set the platform camera while exynos camera is set. At least you cannot make that configuration while manually configuring the kernel using menuconfig. The option just is not there. Then when you select the option to build both cameras the build process errors out. Now here's where I think the edit to the kernel came in early on during KitKat, when I posted the link to the email discussion within the Linux kernel community. The only such piece of evidence I have found were they were able to get the camera to work. They were able to manually configure the kernel .config file to manually delete or switch the values to turn on the software camera (camera 2.0). Now I'm going to have to go back and look at the kernel source. Before I was looking at the wrong version and assuming that the settings were same in both the kernel for 6.0 and the one for 7.0 and it appears that is not the case at all and it's quite a significant difference. Time to go into the .config and take a look around.

Edit: here is where lineage and aosp won't work. If I use menuconfig to select any options, i can't build inline with the ROM or it forces me to do a make mrproper and a make clean. So would I even be able to edit the .config myself or will I get yelled at by the two again?

Sent from my Samsung Nexus 10 using XDA Labs
    Still working on the camera issue. A lot of stuff will have to be changed around and some of the code will have to be rewritten on pretty much all of the hardware modules hwcomposer, camera etc. I'm fairly certain in order to get it working all of that hardware will have to be switched over to common tree, for lack of better terms. There is exynos5, the platform and secXXX (SAMSUNG camera etc), software base.in order to get everything on the right page and in proper working order, most of the modules would have to be switched in terms of the code, to SecXXX. This is how it appears that got the camera to function before, though I'm not sure they had to do quite as extensive amount of work as I might have to put into this.

Secondly I managed to find a pretty simple GPS fix, because if you aren't outside with perfectly clear sky you will never get a lock on any GPS signal. So I've managed to hunt down a replacement. With a simple library file and a few build prop tweaks location services work like a charm and much better than expected. I will have to experiment a little bit more but I'm pretty sure this is the main reason why it is fully functional now. The only downside isyou won't be able to use any applications to get a visual aspect out of the GPS settings. There are no visual at all, which means applications that currently work to fix or assist GPS, will not work properly, if at all. I will do a write-up later today when I get home on this fix.
    Update.

So the ROM I posted here, everything is smooth and I didn't know that tablet could go faster. Wifi seem much improved. The camera is another story. I've been having trouble getting another biuild through but not for any problems that I can't fix, I am trying to push the source code to the limits and giving me as much space as possible on this thing. And I just get barely to the wire and it shuts me out every time. So I'm going to have to go back down to what the original specs say because unfortunately none of the updated ones that show the amount of space some of these images is supposed to have will cause nothing to be flashed.

secondly I'm trying to hunt down exactly where the problem exists with the camera whether it is on a kernel level or on more of a software level in terms of the board. It's not it's definitely not a kernel problem. Because I took the kernel out of a failed ROM and replaced it with the one I linked In the paragraph above, and everything worked as it should have except for obviously the camera. secondly although the camera app does not crash when you open it, various hardware apps clearly show there isn't even a module being registered. This is the very first ROM I spit out and it was just a test and for a test it works pretty good

third everything with NFC seems to be in place but because I have no means to actually test it if anybody has a way to pay through Google pay and use NFC I would like to have it tested because I would like to see if it's working. other than that everything else is bright to go and actually I'm impressed with this being my first actual working ROM on any device.

tomorrow I am back at the drawing board and it takes about two hours maybe three if I don't touch anything for a complete build to spit out. Hopefully we will have more answers tomorrow when we see if the modules I found build properly. Until then enjoy
    What's New?
    - Update to version 3.4.99
    - Fix various issues with Wi-Fi being a bit wonky and probably actually improving it a bit.
    - Patch files related to Mali ARM GPU to prep it for upgrade. Arm has updated gpus for this device. The problem is I have to rewrite the whole script in order for the main patch to apply correctly. This update adds additional settings and profiling options to the GPU for this upgrade to be added later on if possible. It is a full version upgrade so I hope I can get this working. For now if you can find a good kernel tuning application that can properly hook into the profiling settings you can tweak Mali GPU. I have to hunt down additional build files for adding advanced settings which do not appear to Build properly or adds the drivers that are required for it to work.
    - Various other tweaks and performance improvements

Installation is the same as before. Download this tool to use on Linux, Windows or on your own Android device to unpack and repack your boot image. I am rooted with SuperSU so you're going to have to restore your stock boot image if you are rooted with Magisk, before updating your kernel. Download the attached zip and extract the boot.img-zImage. Unpack your Restored stock boot image and in the split image folder copy and paste your boot.img-zImage to somewhere safe in case you need it again. Then copy and paste the new boot.img-zImage into the split mage folder. Repack the boot image which will be named 'image-new.img' and flash in TWRP and reflash root.