• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Kernel][Oct 27, 2014][V1.0][NJ4 Base] 6thGearROM with 2Stroke Kernel for N910F

Search This thread

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
Current Version: V1.0, stable
Version Base: BTU build PDA N910FXXU1ANJ4
Release Date: October 27th, 2014
Hello, guys!
splash.png

Sooooo... We've been dancing around making a rom long enough and even though it started as an s5 project, the little (not so little...) snappy Note 4 came along and kinda changed our plans for release.

We're not new to android, but kinda new in rom development as a team. And even though I am (dax) is the one doing the OP on this one, you should know that it's really a two people work. My amazing partner and dear friend @Wuby986 is as much of an OP to this thread as I am and if it were possible, this thread would be published by the both of us.

This rom is for n910F variant ONLY! It has not been tested on any other qualcomm variant and is DEFINATELY not suited for exynos variants. The kernel flashes based on the dev block address so PLEASE!!! if you use on other variants do it at your own risk even more than the n910F users!!!

PLEASE backup your EFS before you begin ANYTHING custom! That's why we strongly recommend rooting before flashing recovery and any custom rom. Please use the amazing EFS backup and restore tool by @dr.ketan that can be found HERE!!! And dont forget to THANK him!​

So we have a rom that includes:

BTU build PDA N910FXXU1ANJ4
1. Rooted, zipaligned, busyboxed, de-knoxed, deodexed, stock kernel (still no sources :crying::crying::crying:!!!)

2. 4-way reboot (translated so far to Italian, Russian and Hebrew)

3. Call recording enabled natively and xposed friendly

4. Private mode is working fully (thanks to @Wuby986 for his amazing mod for s5 that now is ported to Note 4!!!)

5. SecMMS mods - anyting that was possible... removed from call logs, backup and restore open, increase recipients limit... and so on!
(thanks to @jovy23 here)

6. All kinds of CSC mods, all remained in other.xml to be xposed friendly (such as secondary symbols on keyboard, sms mods, browser exit prompt, call button in logs, automatic input mode... and, seriously, too many more)

7. White themed samsung keyboard with larger buttons (was once requested from me by the GREAT @firasusman, and is and will forever remain the Assassin keyboard!!! :good:). Now on the note4!

8. Fixed layout for the hebrew keyboard and reverted back to s5 style (Samsung, what were you thinking???)

9. Increased number of available options for Quick Settings to 15

10. Unlocked Personal message on lock screen

11. Unlocked native samsung Lockscreen torch (volume up) - in display and wallpapers menu

12. 3Minit Battery mod (THANK YOU, @gharrington and @pas2001!!! You rock, guys! Please thank this amazing thread here!). About 85 of my own batteries included in the app (lots of colors, all with gradient)

13. Potato gradient for status bar included (THANK YOU, @mariozawa!!! Original thread here!)

14. Somewhat expanded status bar ( we just like it better this way)

15. Fixed InCallUI buttons for RTL (moved the end call button where it belongs - to the right thumb!) and moved the expand and dial container to the left where it belongs in RTL

16. All available locales enabled by editing language.xml

Well this is it FOR NOW! Hopefully much more to come. We felt there was an acute lack of roms for this amazing variant, so we turned what was a "personal mod project" into a rom.

Installation Instructions:
1. You will need a custom recovery. You can use either CWM or TWRP. I only tried installing on TWRP and worked percectly. Will probably be ok on the CWM as well

2. You can download CWM from here and TWRP from here (I rcommend the TMobile vs of TWRP, I installed and it worked very well!)

3. Wipe or no wipe? Is entirely up to YOU! As all of you are currently on stock or custom stock versions, I really don't see a reason for no wipe not working. It was tested either way.

4. Do remember that if you didn't wipe you might face issues that we cannot address on this thread. As rom installation without wipe is your responsibility

5. If you do wipe - wipe data alone. Everything else will be taken care during the installation process

6. Install zip from sdcard (which ever you choose, internal or external)

7. Reboot and done

Download link:
MD5: 15690c27aa0aafbc9e3602d80f16e9b2
Get it HERE!!!

Aside from the credits already mentioned in the features section, we would like to thank:

Samsung (for making amazing devices and challenging us over and over!)
@chainfire for root and SuperSU (and for answering the above mentioned challenges)
@JustArchi for his super kitchen
Mr Shahar Bar for being a SuperBetaTester!
Our friends and families for ALWAYS having faith!

Guys, we do this because we love it. We like slightly modded stock roms that will do the every day work. We have some ongoing projects that will find their way to note 4 as well with time. For now this is what we have and we share it with you fully heartedly. You don't have to use it or like it. We only ask that your comments be respectful and constructive. We will do our best to support this thread and make any mod that we manage to make available per your request.

Needless to say that the installation and the usage of this rom is entirely your decision. Flashing custom recovery, rooting and flashing custom rom WILL trip your knox and void your warranty. Any damage done to your device in the process of installing and/or using this rom is not our responsibility.

Since Aroma installer seems to be having troubles adjusting to our brand new device, this version is plain old zip installation without customization. If you wish to debloat your rom, you can achieve that using an amazing tool by the great @SkywalkerZ that can be found here.

We really hope you enjoy this rom,
Wuby and Daxgirl

Updates!!!
Please have a look at the second post for mods and updates available so far! Repacked kernel, stock kernel, ExtSD write fix that was forgotten to be added to the rom zip, our amazing expanded grid launcher with some cool tweaks... Keep up to date!!!

2Strtoke Kernel
Seing the light of day for the first time (literally because it's dawn around here right now ;-)), our own 2Stroke kernel baby! Full story, links and git sources in the 3rd post. Yayy!!

XDA:DevDB Information
6thGear Rom, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Contributors
daxgirl, wuby986
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
Current Stable Version: V1.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-10-27

Created 2014-10-27
Last Updated 2014-11-11

Last edited:

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
Some Updates!

Fix for the External sd write by 3rd party apps! Because I am an absent minded weirdo that forgot to include it in the rom!!!:
Get it HERE

Stock kernel for n910F (included in the rom zip)- screen mirroring working:
Get it HERE

Our repacked stock kernel with SELinux permissive and init.d support (screen mirroring will break - we're working for a fix, it's a known issue with SELinux permissive)
Get it HERE

Per user's request, a flashable zip of setting CSC from BTU to DBT:
Get it HERE

TW Launcher "chimera" between s5 and note3, with colored folders, semi transparent badges
and folder backgrounds, home grid 5x5, drawer grid 5x6, widgets adapted ( @Wuby986 you genius!), 6 icons on hotseat,
and MOST importantly, 2 way swipe to open custom apps - from bottom up (like the pullup of note3 and left to right, like s5 and note4) (thank you Fakejap)
modded for speed (thanks to the amazing @SkywalkerZ):

Get it HERE

Last edited:

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
2stroke kernel

A bit of history (because a girl has to vent abit, right?):
Well, around August this year, @Wuby986 and I started entertaining the idea of our own rom development. So one day I was like "I think I will try to compile a kernel from source". To which Wuby said "You're impossible!" (well I am). Well, after 2 weeks of struggling, crying bloody murder "Wuby, save me!!! It's not compiling! Something is wrong with the sources... I can't do this anymore!!!..." , Wuby calmly replying "Yes you can, we will figure it out together... show me the errors..." , and after pulling my hair out, 2Stroke for s5 was born. We never released a rom for s5 (yet... deep sigh), so the s5 kernel baby is still burning fuel only on our devices ;)
Soooo... when n910f came out we figured - why not a kernel as well, and after the sources were released, I figured: let's go, I mean how hard can it be, right? Well, I am no kernel developer. So I spent another two days struggling with sources, toolchains and other animals, and then another week struggling with github (sigh.....).
Well, now it's over, so the kernel is here, sources uploaded and it's time to let the baby go.

Features:
  1. This is a stock based kernel.
  2. Compiled from the latest (and only) samsung sources for trltexx
  3. Compiled on the optimised amazing SaberMod 4.10 tool chain - smooth as butter, really!
  4. Added cpu scaling frequencies: OndemandPlus, YankActive, SmartMax, SmartassV2
  5. Added i/o schedulers: zen, fifo, sio, vr
  6. Full selinux permissive support (sources, thanks to Changlu) and ramdisk
  7. init.d support

Thats it, ladies and gentlemen! We are not kernel developers and we don't wanna pretend to be by screwing with your devices.
The main goal was to have our own kernel, cpmpiled on a good (best, really) toolchain, add some governors and i/o for you to play around with.
This kernel will never have OC (no cpu oc, no slimbus OC, no GPU OC). We don't get why the new devices should have OC. And we're confident other custom kernels will have it for you to use.
We're not confident enough to play around with intelliplug and intellithermal. IMO, mpdecision on snappy is doing a great job.
In the future more governers and schedulers might be added. (I am currently working on adding fiops (which I love), but it's giving me hell with compilation errors)

Thanks and Credits:
  1. Samsung (You guys make hell of devices! We love you for that!!!)
  2. Open source community and Linux foundation (seriously, where would we be without you???)
  3. My family (for literally holding my hand through the nightmare of compilation errors) and being supportive like you wouldn't believe!!!
  4. @Wuby986! It's very simple, without you I am just half a developer. I can never imagine doing any of that without you. You can fix anything and, most importantly, we share the same vision. I am the luckiest person on Earth for having you as my best friend and partner!
  5. @friedrich420 for being a sport! Really, you went out of your way to help me always! I appreciate that VERY MUCH! Thank you, mate!!! (BTW, I know have all the OCD folders, so I am gonna need a prescription ;) )

Sources for 2Stroke Kernel:
Here

Link for download:
Here

Flash in recovery! Modules included.

The installation zip includes a script ( @Wuby986, THANK YOU YOU BASH GENIUS!!!) that will edit your build.prop file accordingly, so you don't keep loosing wifi passwords and for screen mirroring support!

Last edited:

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
so whats the diffrent between this rom and echo rom

they looks the same and same stuff no special smoothness tweak and nothing else
?
Why something has to be different? Different developers, different projects... more choices for the user. Anyone will install what they prefer and use it :) we made a rom we like, we shared it. That's really all there is to it :)

bubu23

Nov 25, 2006
eilat
Why something has to be different? Different developers, different projects... more choices for the user. Anyone will install what they prefer and use it :) we made a rom we like, we shared it. That's really all there is to it :)

you right but the note 4 is not that good everybody knows it got lags so first we need to fix tha lags of the phone all the roms the same for now

but great work :good:

Reactions: daxgirl

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
you right but the note 4 is not that good everybody knows it got lags so first we need to fix tha lags of the phone all the roms the same for now

but great work :good:
Actually running pretty smooth here. No lags so far. I am pretty happy with the device.
Our moto was to build a rom close to stock with good performance and essential mods (what we think is essential). So this is v1. We have much more planned to come.
We are originally working on s5. Then note 4 came along. So we figured... why not make some nice mods and share it as simple clean release? Not over modded, not over tweaked, not packed and repacked. .. just clean and with useful features.
We decided to release this v1.0 because really there aren't many roms around. So people that want stock expirience with some mods can enjoy their device.
I can't live without 4 way reboot and I prefer to not use xposed if I don't have to. Same goes for more quick settings... nicer keyboard... more csc features... some unlocked settings. For me those things improve the expirience of using the phone. And really... I have no lags that can be registered as lags. Maybe very minor...

daxgirl

Jun 30, 2012
Jerusalem
The download is incredibly slow, it was going to take 3-4 hours and I have superb web connection.
I know my friend. It was super fast this morning and then went down like crazy. @Wuby986 is making a mega mirror. Hoping that would help you out. We really don't keep count on the downloads. So anything faster for you guys will work for us. The mirror should be up soon.

Edit!
Apparently is already up. Am I good at being op and following my own thread or what? Loolllll
Op updated with Mega mirror

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Current Version: V1.0, stable
    Version Base: BTU build PDA N910FXXU1ANJ4
    Release Date: October 27th, 2014
    Hello, guys!
    splash.png

Sooooo... We've been dancing around making a rom long enough and even though it started as an s5 project, the little (not so little...) snappy Note 4 came along and kinda changed our plans for release.

We're not new to android, but kinda new in rom development as a team. And even though I am (dax) is the one doing the OP on this one, you should know that it's really a two people work. My amazing partner and dear friend @Wuby986 is as much of an OP to this thread as I am and if it were possible, this thread would be published by the both of us.

This rom is for n910F variant ONLY! It has not been tested on any other qualcomm variant and is DEFINATELY not suited for exynos variants. The kernel flashes based on the dev block address so PLEASE!!! if you use on other variants do it at your own risk even more than the n910F users!!!

PLEASE backup your EFS before you begin ANYTHING custom! That's why we strongly recommend rooting before flashing recovery and any custom rom. Please use the amazing EFS backup and restore tool by @dr.ketan that can be found HERE!!! And dont forget to THANK him!​

So we have a rom that includes:

BTU build PDA N910FXXU1ANJ4
    1. Rooted, zipaligned, busyboxed, de-knoxed, deodexed, stock kernel (still no sources :crying::crying::crying:!!!)

2. 4-way reboot (translated so far to Italian, Russian and Hebrew)

3. Call recording enabled natively and xposed friendly

4. Private mode is working fully (thanks to @Wuby986 for his amazing mod for s5 that now is ported to Note 4!!!)

5. SecMMS mods - anyting that was possible... removed from call logs, backup and restore open, increase recipients limit... and so on!
    (thanks to @jovy23 here)

6. All kinds of CSC mods, all remained in other.xml to be xposed friendly (such as secondary symbols on keyboard, sms mods, browser exit prompt, call button in logs, automatic input mode... and, seriously, too many more)

7. White themed samsung keyboard with larger buttons (was once requested from me by the GREAT @firasusman, and is and will forever remain the Assassin keyboard!!! :good:). Now on the note4!

8. Fixed layout for the hebrew keyboard and reverted back to s5 style (Samsung, what were you thinking???)

9. Increased number of available options for Quick Settings to 15

10. Unlocked Personal message on lock screen

11. Unlocked native samsung Lockscreen torch (volume up) - in display and wallpapers menu

12. 3Minit Battery mod (THANK YOU, @gharrington and @pas2001!!! You rock, guys! Please thank this amazing thread here!). About 85 of my own batteries included in the app (lots of colors, all with gradient)

13. Potato gradient for status bar included (THANK YOU, @mariozawa!!! Original thread here!)

14. Somewhat expanded status bar ( we just like it better this way)

15. Fixed InCallUI buttons for RTL (moved the end call button where it belongs - to the right thumb!) and moved the expand and dial container to the left where it belongs in RTL

16. All available locales enabled by editing language.xml

Well this is it FOR NOW! Hopefully much more to come. We felt there was an acute lack of roms for this amazing variant, so we turned what was a "personal mod project" into a rom.

Installation Instructions:
    1. You will need a custom recovery. You can use either CWM or TWRP. I only tried installing on TWRP and worked percectly. Will probably be ok on the CWM as well

2. You can download CWM from here and TWRP from here (I rcommend the TMobile vs of TWRP, I installed and it worked very well!)

3. Wipe or no wipe? Is entirely up to YOU! As all of you are currently on stock or custom stock versions, I really don't see a reason for no wipe not working. It was tested either way.

4. Do remember that if you didn't wipe you might face issues that we cannot address on this thread. As rom installation without wipe is your responsibility

5. If you do wipe - wipe data alone. Everything else will be taken care during the installation process

6. Install zip from sdcard (which ever you choose, internal or external)

7. Reboot and done

Download link:
    MD5: 15690c27aa0aafbc9e3602d80f16e9b2
    Get it HERE!!!

Aside from the credits already mentioned in the features section, we would like to thank:

Samsung (for making amazing devices and challenging us over and over!)
    @chainfire for root and SuperSU (and for answering the above mentioned challenges)
    @JustArchi for his super kitchen
    Mr Shahar Bar for being a SuperBetaTester!
    Our friends and families for ALWAYS having faith!

Guys, we do this because we love it. We like slightly modded stock roms that will do the every day work. We have some ongoing projects that will find their way to note 4 as well with time. For now this is what we have and we share it with you fully heartedly. You don't have to use it or like it. We only ask that your comments be respectful and constructive. We will do our best to support this thread and make any mod that we manage to make available per your request.

Needless to say that the installation and the usage of this rom is entirely your decision. Flashing custom recovery, rooting and flashing custom rom WILL trip your knox and void your warranty. Any damage done to your device in the process of installing and/or using this rom is not our responsibility.

Since Aroma installer seems to be having troubles adjusting to our brand new device, this version is plain old zip installation without customization. If you wish to debloat your rom, you can achieve that using an amazing tool by the great @SkywalkerZ that can be found here.

We really hope you enjoy this rom,
    Wuby and Daxgirl

Updates!!!
    Please have a look at the second post for mods and updates available so far! Repacked kernel, stock kernel, ExtSD write fix that was forgotten to be added to the rom zip, our amazing expanded grid launcher with some cool tweaks... Keep up to date!!!

2Strtoke Kernel
    Seing the light of day for the first time (literally because it's dawn around here right now ;-)), our own 2Stroke kernel baby! Full story, links and git sources in the 3rd post. Yayy!!

XDA:DevDB Information
    6thGear Rom, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Contributors
    daxgirl, wuby986
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: V1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2014-10-27

Created 2014-10-27
    Last Updated 2014-11-11
    2stroke kernel

A bit of history (because a girl has to vent abit, right?):
    Well, around August this year, @Wuby986 and I started entertaining the idea of our own rom development. So one day I was like "I think I will try to compile a kernel from source". To which Wuby said "You're impossible!" (well I am). Well, after 2 weeks of struggling, crying bloody murder "Wuby, save me!!! It's not compiling! Something is wrong with the sources... I can't do this anymore!!!..." , Wuby calmly replying "Yes you can, we will figure it out together... show me the errors..." , and after pulling my hair out, 2Stroke for s5 was born. We never released a rom for s5 (yet... deep sigh), so the s5 kernel baby is still burning fuel only on our devices ;)
    Soooo... when n910f came out we figured - why not a kernel as well, and after the sources were released, I figured: let's go, I mean how hard can it be, right? Well, I am no kernel developer. So I spent another two days struggling with sources, toolchains and other animals, and then another week struggling with github (sigh.....).
    Well, now it's over, so the kernel is here, sources uploaded and it's time to let the baby go.

Features:
    1. This is a stock based kernel.
    2. Compiled from the latest (and only) samsung sources for trltexx
    3. Compiled on the optimised amazing SaberMod 4.10 tool chain - smooth as butter, really!
    4. Added cpu scaling frequencies: OndemandPlus, YankActive, SmartMax, SmartassV2
    5. Added i/o schedulers: zen, fifo, sio, vr
    6. Full selinux permissive support (sources, thanks to Changlu) and ramdisk
    7. init.d support

Thats it, ladies and gentlemen! We are not kernel developers and we don't wanna pretend to be by screwing with your devices.
    The main goal was to have our own kernel, cpmpiled on a good (best, really) toolchain, add some governors and i/o for you to play around with.
    This kernel will never have OC (no cpu oc, no slimbus OC, no GPU OC). We don't get why the new devices should have OC. And we're confident other custom kernels will have it for you to use.
    We're not confident enough to play around with intelliplug and intellithermal. IMO, mpdecision on snappy is doing a great job.
    In the future more governers and schedulers might be added. (I am currently working on adding fiops (which I love), but it's giving me hell with compilation errors)

Thanks and Credits:
    1. Samsung (You guys make hell of devices! We love you for that!!!)
    2. Open source community and Linux foundation (seriously, where would we be without you???)
    3. My family (for literally holding my hand through the nightmare of compilation errors) and being supportive like you wouldn't believe!!!
    4. @Wuby986! It's very simple, without you I am just half a developer. I can never imagine doing any of that without you. You can fix anything and, most importantly, we share the same vision. I am the luckiest person on Earth for having you as my best friend and partner!
    5. @friedrich420 for being a sport! Really, you went out of your way to help me always! I appreciate that VERY MUCH! Thank you, mate!!! (BTW, I know have all the OCD folders, so I am gonna need a prescription ;) )

Sources for 2Stroke Kernel:
    Here

Link for download:
    Here

Flash in recovery! Modules included.

The installation zip includes a script ( @Wuby986, THANK YOU YOU BASH GENIUS!!!) that will edit your build.prop file accordingly, so you don't keep loosing wifi passwords and for screen mirroring support!
    Some Updates!

Fix for the External sd write by 3rd party apps! Because I am an absent minded weirdo that forgot to include it in the rom!!!:
    Get it HERE

Stock kernel for n910F (included in the rom zip)- screen mirroring working:
    Get it HERE

Our repacked stock kernel with SELinux permissive and init.d support (screen mirroring will break - we're working for a fix, it's a known issue with SELinux permissive)
    Get it HERE

Per user's request, a flashable zip of setting CSC from BTU to DBT:
    Get it HERE

TW Launcher "chimera" between s5 and note3, with colored folders, semi transparent badges
    and folder backgrounds, home grid 5x5, drawer grid 5x6, widgets adapted ( @Wuby986 you genius!), 6 icons on hotseat,
    and MOST importantly, 2 way swipe to open custom apps - from bottom up (like the pullup of note3 and left to right, like s5 and note4) (thank you Fakejap)
    modded for speed (thanks to the amazing @SkywalkerZ):

Get it HERE
    Places to go and enjoy!

Our dear friends!
    I have no idea how what I wm about to do is an "accepted" thing on XDA, but I will do it anyway since the honor is due where the honor is due!

As we stated on multiple occasions, we're doing this out of love for android and not spending all our time on the "update race".

This rom WILL be updated and soon. BUT!!!! In a mean while, I wanted to let you know that we have a growing family of amazing roms from amazing developers in this forum!
    Please visit and give your thanks to pay tribute and try the amazing works of some more amazing devs:

1. X-Note rom for n910F - you can find it here. Packed with features that I really enjoyed trying!!! @soloilmeglio and @xentrix, you guys have my absolute delight in trying your rom. It took me two hours just to go over the options in your new and amazing customization app! RESPECT, fellas! I am stunned beyond belief!!!

2. Second but NOT least - Echoe ROM - you can find it here. We have history of joined development with the one and the only @friedrich420. We met under the Echoe name and became a team there, We will always be greatful and as you can see we always try to help each other in any way we can. It's not just a rom but a kernel as well!!! Try it, you will enjoy it! Visit the thread, it's one of the friendliest on XDA. The rom is very smooth and you can find lots of customizations int he Echoe kitchen.

3. Last but NOT least - the truly amazing work of @dr.ketan!!! You can find it here. The rom is for n910g but was reported repeatedly to be working on n910f. Packed with most amazing built in mods and superb apps by the developer.

Open source is for everyone. And we will be honored and pleased to see you guys trying and enjoying the work of fellow developers. That is untill we get the update ;)
    Please thank them for their amazing work and dedication!
    WOW...madam.
    Let me see some sweet screen?
    Ehehehe... I will post screenshots later. But I promise you your batteries are ALL there and MUCH loved!
    Thank you daxgirl it looks great.
    downloading now.
    Did you sleep at all last night? and is your f5 button alright? Lol... enjoy my friend!