• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Kernel][Official][6.0.1/7.x][Grouper N7 2012][F2FS/EXT4][OTG] Beanstalk ROM

Search This thread

NOW2XDA

Apr 5, 2017
Great ROM. Thanks for the work!
I think this is a pretty fast ROM, considering that it is a nearly 5 year old device.
GPS works fine, Youtube works at 720p60 without stutters, ... I expierenced no bugs so far. :good:

Aug 1, 2011
Hello,
I've been trying to flash your ROM onto my Nexus 7 2012 Grouper device using TWRP, but when i try to flash the zip file it tells me that the flash failed because my device is Tilapia not Grouper. It definitely isn't Tilapia as there's no sim card slot.
I've tried flashing via Nexus Tool Kit too and that failed as well. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Hello,
I've been trying to flash your ROM onto my Nexus 7 2012 Grouper device using TWRP, but when i try to flash the zip file it tells me that the flash failed because my device is Tilapia not Grouper. It definitely isn't Tilapia as there's no sim card slot.
I've tried flashing via Nexus Tool Kit too and that failed as well. Any ideas?

Don't worry, got it working now.

krassermensch

May 27, 2014
Lindach /\ Würzburg
No , I didn‘t
TWRP version is 3.0.2.0
Ur rom is just perfect , runs very smooth on my old tablet .
Just need to fix memory error on my device :)
Maybe an additional mod which was too oversized for the system partition? Keep in mind you only have some Megabytes of free space in that partition. First check the md5, then try a reinstall, without any additional mod would be the better way to go. On the other hand you could just wait until my Nougat ROM is uploaded (uploading right now, could take some time, however).

krassermensch

May 27, 2014
Lindach /\ Würzburg

NeoPreacher

Dec 4, 2012
Bielefeld
Motorola Defy
Moto G5 Plus
Update

Here it is, guys, the Nougat update. It took quite much time until I could make everything fit into the small system partition of grouper. Finally I got it so here it is.

ROM:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120724154

GApps:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862719179

Have fun using it! Looking forward to your reviews now. Anyway, I have to sleep now, maybe a first feedback tomorrow morning? ;)

first playing around looks and feels promising. really (flott) uhm smooth:good::good: . thanks a lot

Conqueror42

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks to you, a 5 year old device is usable again! Everything works fine and smooth. However I'm getting random reboots all the time. I tried both marshmallow as the new nougat rom. Same reboot problem. Does anyone experience the same?

krassermensch

May 27, 2014
Lindach /\ Würzburg
does it charge? i get no charging animation also settings doesn't say it charges. charging it offline now. can someone check it? i'm using the new nougat version.
Hmmm, strange, did you use the very latest TWRP version to flash the ROM? Do you use my GApps package? Did you try to do a reflash? If nothing helps, may you provide a catlog of the moment you plug in your charging cable?

Reactions: Letitride

Letitride

does it charge? i get no charging animation also settings doesn't say it charges. charging it offline now. can someone check it? i'm using the new nougat version.
Yes, I ran into that - coming from PureNexus rom - using latest TWRP, fresh install, Bean's Gapp, etc. per instruction.

Plugged in and wasn't charging either - as per suggestion @krassermensch - did a dirty reflash again and it's now all good & working. Magisk also, seemed to me, had issues - uninstalled and used latest SU (Chainfire's) - root was properly running. Reflashed Magisk plus its Apk from PlayStore, rooting no longer an issue. Overall speaking, this is great for a 4 to 5 years old tablet as I have no plans to replace it with something newer - a new OEM battery that I put it plus this, extending useful lifespan for a while longer.

Kudo for rolling this out - only wished I waited for the 2013 variant with 4G slots, LOL - asking for way too much money on Swappa ... just use it with my primary Nexus's hotspot to do things if necessary.

Last edited:

garanzia

Jan 28, 2010
Hi i got issue using this rom. App suddenly close like facebook and youtube. mostly while watching video. any possible solution ?

HunterZ0

Jul 4, 2012
The GApps v5 zip linked here fails ZIP signature verification in TWRP 3.1.0.0 when attempting to flash via recovery, and fails hash check in ADB when attempting to flash via NRT. What's the story here? Thanks!

Edit: I verified that the md5sum is the same as shown on the androidfilehost download page, so it's not a corrupted download issue.

Edit 2: Also discovered that even pico open gapps 7.1 won't install with the Nougat version of this ROM due to insufficient /system storage:
Code:
INSTALLATION FAILURE: Your device does not have sufficient space available in
the system partition to install this GApps package as currently configured.
You will need to switch to a smaller GApps package or use gapps-config to
reduce the installed size.

# Begin GApps Size Calculations
------------------------------------------------------------------
  TYPE  |         DESCRIPTION        |      SIZE |   TOTAL
        |         Current Free Space |     78172 |   78172
 Remove |             Existing GApps | +       0 |   78172
 Remove |             Obsolete Files | +      40 |   78212
 Remove |           extservicesstock | +      20 |   78232
 Remove |             extsharedstock | +       0 |   78232
 Remove |                  provision | +       0 |   78232
Install |                       Core | -  101392 |  -23160
Install |                    calsync | -    1808 |  -24968
Install |                  googletts | -   21876 |  -46844
        |               Buffer Space | -    9216 |  -56060
                      Additional Space Required |   56060

Edit 3: I guess ParrotMod doesn't work on Nougat anyway, so I'll try Marshmallow.

Edit 4: Marshmallow Gapps zip offered here fails zip signature verification too. Hopefully Marshmallow open gapps works :(

Last edited:

krassermensch

May 27, 2014
Lindach /\ Würzburg
The GApps v5 zip linked here fails ZIP signature verification in TWRP 3.1.0.0 when attempting to flash via recovery, and fails hash check in ADB when attempting to flash via NRT. What's the story here? Thanks!

Edit: I verified that the md5sum is the same as shown on the androidfilehost download page, so it's not a corrupted download issue.

Edit 2: Also discovered that even pico open gapps 7.1 won't install with the Nougat version of this ROM due to insufficient /system storage:

Edit 3: I guess ParrotMod doesn't work on Nougat anyway, so I'll try Marshmallow.

Edit 4: Marshmallow Gapps zip offered here fails zip signature verification too. Hopefully Marshmallow open gapps works :(
Both the MM and the N Gapps are made to have the size needed to fit in the /system partition. Open GApps will not work without issues most probably. It is very unprobable that TWRP is corruptly installed on your Grouper but consider a new TWRP installation. Also, try to use a 3.0.x TWRP if it still won't work by then.
Report back and I'll try to figure out what your problem is caused by.

HunterZ0

Jul 4, 2012
Considering that the Marshmallow and Nougat main Beanstalk ROMs both flash fine via NRT/ADB and TWRP, and both the Gapps ROMs fail via NRT/ADB and TWRP, I'm inclined to believe it's a Gapps packaging problem and not a TWRP problem.

HunterZ0

Jul 4, 2012
Tried it both ways.

I got Pure Nexus + Open GApps working. I did notice that I did need to boot Pure Nexus first because the Open GApps installer still thought I had stock Android 5.1.1 installed after the initial flash of Pure Nexus, but I don't think this is related to my Beanstalk GApps issues.

krassermensch

May 27, 2014
Lindach /\ Würzburg
Tried it both ways.

I got Pure Nexus + Open GApps working. I did notice that I did need to boot Pure Nexus first because the Open GApps installer still thought I had stock Android 5.1.1 installed after the initial flash of Pure Nexus, but I don't think this is related to my Beanstalk GApps issues.
I don't think so either, have you already tried out a previous TWRP version (3.0.x)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Krassermensch (that's me:D)
    is pleased to present you official Beanstalk builds for our beloved
    Nexus 7 2012 WiFi

I'm not that kind of big thread writer. So I'll try to keep it short. Also keep in mind that I'm not responsible for any damage that will occur to your device although it's almost impossible to break your device. If there are any problems appearing to you feel free to ask for help. Although I'd really like you to read the whole post :D

Features:

compiled using UberTC for best user experience

LineageOS based

PIE

Built in Task Manager switcher

OnTheGo Mode

App Circle bar

System UI Tuner

Quicker system animations

Trimmed down fat and excess bloat

Option to enable all widgets

Numerous extra lockscreen options

LCD Density

Custom original BeanStalk Wallpapers by skyliner33v

Custom BeanStalk bootanimation by skyliner33v

3-minit battery support

Clock and date options

Contextual Header - Original and Polygraphic

Battery styles - Includes specific colors and styles. Also includes battery bar

Do not disturb option

Show notification count

Recent screen options

Customizable navigation bar

Use Omniswitch as default recents

Built-in screen record

Toast animations

App Circle bar

Gesture Anywhere

Disable FC warnings

Disable Immersive message

Force expanded Notifications

Configure scrolling cache

Build.prop MOD options to enable/disable tweaks as preferred

Less frequent Notification sounds options

CRT screen off/on options to specify how the animation shows

Enable/disable wake up on charge option

Superuser fully embedded into the build and accessed from settings menu

LOS Performance options and features

Hide superuser icon

Developer options and advanced reboot enabled by default

Wakelock Blocker

Custom Snap Camera which works much better than AOSP

New Kernel Control

Gello browser

My own custom kernel including CPU OC and UV, GPU OC, DT2W, F2FS support, OTG support and such things:D

many many more

Bugs:

None I could find but you tell me ;)

Flash instructions

1. make sure you have a current TWRP installed (3.1.0.0)
    ---> feel free to ask how to flash it if you don't know how
    2. Download current Beanstalk ROM package to your device:
    Download Marshmallow
    Download Nougat
    3. Download my Gapps (recommended as they work the best and are clean):
    Download Marshmallow
    Download Nougat
    --> I really don't recommend any other GApps package as I configured the package to work with our grouper perfectly, any other package would probably cause issues due to the small system partition
    4. Reboot to recovery (Turn off your device, press Power & Vol- and choose Recovery)
    5. Wipe system, data, dalvik/art cache and cache partitions (optionally use f2fs)
    6. Install ROM, then GApps (don't install any additional system mod if u use GApps as there's no space for it)

Screenshots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Credits:
    scott.hart.bti -- the main beanstalk developer
    daniel_hk -- I cherry-picked some commits from his Github
    krassermensch -- me
    Beanstalk team for supporting me
    All the CustomROMs Beanstalk's code is based on (watch Beanstalk sources)
    please consider donating to these people as well :D

Source:
    My Github

XDA:DevDB Information
    Beanstalk ROM for Nexus 7, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    krassermensch, scott.hart.bti
    Source Code: https://github.com/scotthartbti/android

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2016-02-11
    Last Updated 2017-04-26
    Update

Here it is, guys, the Nougat update. It took quite much time until I could make everything fit into the small system partition of grouper. Finally I got it so here it is.

ROM:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120724154

GApps:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862719179

Have fun using it! Looking forward to your reviews now. Anyway, I have to sleep now, maybe a first feedback tomorrow morning? ;)
    Beanstalk 6.19 update

Ok guys, the build as well as the GApps are updated now. You can find the download in the first post of this thread. Keep in mind that I rebuilt everything. I recommend doing a clean flash although a dirty flash should work, too.

What's new:
    - changed the default browser to Gello
    - added OTG support
    - added USB as an additional sound device
    - latest Cyanogenmod updates and fixes

Looking forward to your reviews. Happy flashing ;)
    Update to Beanstalk 6.08

I updated Beanstalk to version 6.08
    I updated the GApps some days ago (cleanest GApps for CM-ROMs, kept minimal)
    I customized the ROM's stock kernel (voltage control, CPU OC...)

Have fun trying it out, looking forward to your reviews :D
    INDEX

This Thread has been added to this INDEX-Thread:

Thank you for this Thread!