• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM/Kernel/Recovery][4.3.1][08/31] SlimSaber Reborn - p4 | p4wifi

Search This thread

fusionjack

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2008
SlimBean p4 | p4wifi SaberMod 4.9 Unofficial builds
Reborn ‘R’ Edition
0pvn.png

SlimSaber: SaberMod toolchain 4.9.0
SlimKernel: SaberMod toolchain 4.9.2

Disclaimer
I'm not responsible for any damages on your device.

Some of you perhaps already know me from SlimSaber main thread i9100. My focus is to compile roms with custom toolchain SaberMod for more performance and smoothness.
I choose SlimRoms because it is a lightweight and not bloated rom, but it still has rich features.
I named this version as ‘Reborn’ because I started to saber SlimBean 4.3.1 again from scratch and it has some KitKat bug and memory leak fixes.
The rom, kernel and recovery are tested by me first before I make it available online. I could have overseen something during testing, please be understand.

I don't have p4wifi, so I cannot test this. If p4 ok, usually p4wifi will also be ok

Main Features
  • The Real Dark Slim (TRDS)
  • SlimPIE
  • Expanded Desktop
  • LCD Density Changer
  • List View & System Animation
  • Navigation Bar & Ring
  • Notification Power Widget
  • Privacy Guard
  • Profiles
  • Quick Settings
  • RAM Bar
  • Theme Engine
  • Widgets Viewpager
  • Performance Settings
You can find more feature details here
An overview of the SlimSettings and other small features can be found here

What makes different from the official SlimBean
  • Compiled with a custom toolchain Sabermod for more performance and better battery life
  • Compiled with the GCC optimization level -O3
  • Compiled with strict-aliasing compiler optimization
  • Added patches to fix GCC strict-aliasing violation rules
  • Added ARMv7 optimized string handling routines for more smoothness and more memory optimization
  • Disabled SQLite fsync to increase I/O performance
  • Cherry-picked some AOSP bug and memory leak fixes
  • Cherry-picked some KitKat bug and memory leak fixes
  • Powered by SuperSU

Installation instructions
Coming from 4.1.x or 4.2.x or another ROM to 4.3.x:
  • Flash SlimRecovery p4 | p4wifi
  • Reboot to recovery, not to the system!
  • Full wipe: system, data, cache, dalvik cache.
  • Flash the unofficial build.
  • Flash gapps from here
    If you use slim gapps, the play store is not updateable to the latest one. If you need the latest one, you need to install it manually, but only the play store, not the whole gapps.
Coming from previous unofficial build:
  • Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
  • Flash the unofficial build.
  • No need to re-flash gapps. Gapps will be restored back automatically by backup tool during flashing.
Another version of full wipe/dirty flashing from Hopper8

SlimKernel
  • Based on pershoot kernel
  • Compiled with SaberMod 4.9.1
  • Compiled with -Ofast and some compiler flags to optimize the memory
  • OC GPU to 400 MHz
  • Ability to disable logging
  • Patched some security vulnerabilities

SlimRecovery
  • Latest TWRP based on SlimRoms repository
  • Compiled with -Os to have smaller img size
  • Enabled ADB

Latest release
Latest SlimSaber: 20140831
Latest SlimKernel: 20140908
Latest SlimRecovery: 20140719

Full Changelog
p4 | p4wifi

Download
SlimSaber: p4 | p4wifi
SlimKernel: p4 | p4wifi
SlimRecovery: p4 | p4wifi

Credits
SlimRoms - The SlimRom team
SaberMod toolchain - sparksco
SlimSaber banner and signatures - kroz
SuperSU - Chainfire

Special Thanks
Dorimanx - for patches to disable sqlite fsync.
DHO, PrimeDirective, NuclearMistake - for awesome fixes and improvements from VanirAOSP.
AAccount - for TWRP flags
pershoot - for the kernel

Sources
https://github.com/SlimSaber

Last edited:

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
F.A.Q (Freaking Annoying Questions)

Root doesn't work!

• Enable 'Developer options'
    • Go to Settings -> About Phone
    • Tap on the Build Number 7 times
  • Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Root access
  • Choose 'Apps' or 'Apps and ADB'
What is Toolchain?
In software, a toolchain is the set of programming tools that are used to create a product (typically another computer program or system of programs). The tools may be used in a chain, so that the output of each tool becomes the input for the next, but the term is used widely to refer to any set of linked development tools.
A simple software development toolchain consists of a compiler and linker to transform the source code into an executable program, libraries to provide interfaces to the operating system, and a debugger. A complex product such as a video game needs tools for preparing sound effects, music, textures, 3-dimensional models, and animations, and further tools for combining these resources into the finished product.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toolchain

What is SaberMod?
The term "SaberMod" is coming from:
SaberMod is a AOSP based ROM with some extra features added in and mostly from CyanogenMod. SaberMod started out pure AOSP when android 4.2.1 launched. Originally it was pure AOSP with a few extra features I ported over from CyanogeMod and linaro optimizations. Then I rebased everything off of rasbeanjelly because I liked many features found in rasbean. Since then I've modified a lot of the code so not much of it is rasbeanjelly based anymore. But you will still find some commonly used features found in rasbeanjelly. SaberMod is not a rasbeanjelly or CM clone, or KANG. Custom kernels are included for certain devices when available. These are personal builds we make for ourselves and originally became very popular in the nexus 7 forums. Features are very rarely added, and are built to SaberMod's team members liking. Currently there are two members of SaberMod working on this project. Myself and @jarjar124 . Please understand our time is limited and we are only two people who have lives, and do not have 25-50 members like CyanogenMod to add things. And our goal is not to add a bunch of features that bloat the system of the ROM.
Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2158698

Last edited:

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
Since this is the first release, I just make summary what has been changed from latest i9100 release.
I'll sync the release between i9100 and p4

SlimSaber-p4-4.3.1-20140719.zip
SlimSaber-p4wifi-4.3.1-20140719.zip

Changes:
  • Enable dual panel mode
    You can find the setting in Settings - General - Tablet dual pane mode
    For tablet, it is already enabled by default.
  • Readd CellBroadcastReceiver
    If you find this annoying, you can disable or remove it: Either freeze it with TB (Mobile Broadcast) or delete it with SlimSizer (CellBroadcastReceiver.apk)
  • Move mobile settings to the main setting list
  • Set animation scale in developer options by default to .75
  • Fix corrupt power off charging graphics
  • Provide logdog for cat haters
  • HWUI and Surfaceflinger fixes from KitKat
  • Kernel: Disable DEBUG_KERNEL
  • Kernel: Compiled with latest SaberMod 4.9.1
  • See changelog for the rest of changes

Last edited:

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
Since this is the first release of SlimKernel, I just put again its features from OP.
The rom is already contains a kernel, so you don't need to flash the kernel again.

SlimKernel-p4-4.3.1-20140719.zip
SlimKernel-p4wifi-4.3.1-20140719.zip

Changes:
  • Based on pershoot kernel
  • Compiled with -Ofast and some compiler flags to optimize the memory
  • OC GPU to 400 MHz
  • Ability to disable logging
  • Patched some security vulnerabilities

Last edited:

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
Will this work on the p7510 Wi-Fi
i assume yes, but i never try it since i only have p4 tablet and i don't know what could happen...
if many users request for p4wifi, i could try to build it...but i need testers too before i release the build since i can't test it.
if you are willing to test p4wifi build, let me know...send me your email per pm and i'll give you access to the share folder.
i'm currently busy so i need time to build p4wifi.

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
Glad to see you back. My WiFi is down ATM so can't download but will flash once its fixed. :)

Just throwing this out there, any chance for SlimKat? :D

Oh and can I use AAcount's TWRP 2.7.1.0 or must I use your recovery?

Last edited:
Reactions: fusionjack

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
Glad to see you back. My WiFi is down ATM so can't download but will flash once its fixed. :)
Just throwing this out there, any chance for SlimKat? :D
Oh and can I use AAcount's TWRP 2.7.1.0 or must I use your recovery?
if you have already AAcount's TWRP, you can skip the recovery installation. i made the installation instruction like that just for people that comes from old android version.
i'm not sure if i'll do slimkat for this tablet since the whole permission changes in kitkat make the android worse. newer doesn't always better. :D
we shouldn't forget that samsung drops his support for our tablet till ics. this means we need to make workaround or hack to make higher android version to work.
in term of features, many people miss slimbean features which are not available in slimkat. the other way round, slimkat also has other unique features that are not available either in slimbean. :p
in term of optimization, 4.3.1 has more chances to be optimized rather than 4.4.4

Last edited:

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
if you have already AAcount's TWRP, you can skip the recovery installation. i made in the installation instruction like that just for people that comes from old rom.
i'm not sure if i'll do slimkat for this tablet since the whole permission changes in kitkat make the android worse. newer doesn't always better. :D
we shouldn't forget that samsung drops his support for our tablet till ics. this means we need to make workaround or hack to make higher android version to work.
in term of features, many people miss slimbean features which are not available in slimkat. the other way round, slimkat also has other unique features that are not available either in slimbean. :p
in term of optimization, 4.3.1 has more chances to be optimized rather than 4.4.4

I agree with the second part. Most KK ROMs I've tried isn't as smooth as 4.3. But surprisingly cm11 is very smooth, before that I've been using your old SlimSaber. But one thing I'll miss jumping down to 4.3 is immersive mode. Its quite useful when watching movies or playing games.

fusionjack

Sep 21, 2008
I agree with the second part. Most KK ROMs I've tried isn't as smooth as 4.3. But surprisingly cm11 is very smooth, before that I've been using your old SlimSaber. But one thing I'll miss jumping down to 4.3 is immersive mode. Its quite useful when watching movies or playing games.
ic...the 'reborn' one should be better than last slimsaber from last year. :fingers-crossed:
slimbean has expanded desktop in combination with quick peek to see the status bar in full screen mode.
not sure if this expanded dekstop is the same with immersive mode. i never use it, so i don't know...:p
it is quite hard to optimize old tablet especially with bigger screen...i wish i have more knowlegdes to optimize the gpu. in term of smoothness, OC-ing cpu doesn't help. :p

Trying the ROM right now. Currently doin the setup. Cheers for another successful ROM!
i hope you can enjoy the rom :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimBean p4 | p4wifi SaberMod 4.9 Unofficial builds
    Reborn ‘R’ Edition
    0pvn.png

SlimSaber: SaberMod toolchain 4.9.0
    SlimKernel: SaberMod toolchain 4.9.2

Disclaimer
    I'm not responsible for any damages on your device.

Some of you perhaps already know me from SlimSaber main thread i9100. My focus is to compile roms with custom toolchain SaberMod for more performance and smoothness.
    I choose SlimRoms because it is a lightweight and not bloated rom, but it still has rich features.
    I named this version as ‘Reborn’ because I started to saber SlimBean 4.3.1 again from scratch and it has some KitKat bug and memory leak fixes.
    The rom, kernel and recovery are tested by me first before I make it available online. I could have overseen something during testing, please be understand.

I don't have p4wifi, so I cannot test this. If p4 ok, usually p4wifi will also be ok

Main Features
    • The Real Dark Slim (TRDS)
    • SlimPIE
    • Expanded Desktop
    • LCD Density Changer
    • List View & System Animation
    • Navigation Bar & Ring
    • Notification Power Widget
    • Privacy Guard
    • Profiles
    • Quick Settings
    • RAM Bar
    • Theme Engine
    • Widgets Viewpager
    • Performance Settings
    You can find more feature details here
    An overview of the SlimSettings and other small features can be found here

What makes different from the official SlimBean
    • Compiled with a custom toolchain Sabermod for more performance and better battery life
    • Compiled with the GCC optimization level -O3
    • Compiled with strict-aliasing compiler optimization
    • Added patches to fix GCC strict-aliasing violation rules
    • Added ARMv7 optimized string handling routines for more smoothness and more memory optimization
    • Disabled SQLite fsync to increase I/O performance
    • Cherry-picked some AOSP bug and memory leak fixes
    • Cherry-picked some KitKat bug and memory leak fixes