- May 30, 2013
Introducing Kinology - The Premier KFHD7 Custom ROM
Standard Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for loss, damages, or any kind of issue whatsoever that could arise from installing this ROM. You install it at your own risk.
Kinology is the premier custom ROM for the Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet. It will not work on any other device. Kinology should be considered a "hybrid OS"; it contains Amazon's 7.4.8 ICS-based core along with Google's ICS Services Framework and application stack.
3.3 will be the last version of Kinology. The 7.4.9 update does not leave enough room on the system partition for the Kinology base. Additionally, that version of the Amazon OS is using server side filtering that prevents many non-Amazon approved applications from working correctly. My investigations into the issue did not turn up an easy fix.
3.3 - 2014/03/12
- Update the base to 7.4.8 and updated included apps. See the History page linked above for further details.
- Kinology itself is unchanged for this release. Only apps have been updated. See the History page linked above for details.
- Updated the base OS to 7.4.6.
- The restart/failure message when flashing the boot zip will only be shown if the recovery is actually changed.
- Installers now apply ASLR correctly to all libraries.
- Added Adobe Flash Player again, as it no longer causes browsers to crash.
- Updated GmsCore, Hangouts, and Play Store in the Google package.
- Updated Adobe Air in the Amazon Updates package.
- Behind the scenes stuff:
- * Added code to the make scripts to build all-in-one installation.
- * Modified the make scripts so that .apks with identical code and resources always result in binary-identical files.
- * Because of the previous modification, update zips can now be automatically generated.
- * Many other changes to the make scripts so that they are more resilient.
3.0. - 2013/07/21
- Updated the base OS to 7.4.5.
- Fixed the disabled wallpaper issue in 7.4.1.
- Removed text on battery icons (a percentage option was added by Amazon).
- Updated Gmail, GmsCore, and the Play Store in the Google package, and added Hangouts instead of Talk.
- Update SuperSU and included SuperSUNoNag.
- Removed Adobe Flash Player as it is not compatible with 7.4.5.
- Fixed the install process: the boot zip is now required, but it will only flash items that you do not already have installed.
- Separated Amazon app updates from Kinology proper in the install process.
Kinology [KFHD7/TATE], ROM for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
Based On: Amazon OS 7.4.8
Current Stable Version: 3.3
Stable Release Date: 2014-03-12
Last Updated 2014-10-16