• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][KTU84P]AOSP from source, 4.4.4 PreFinal

Search This thread

broodplank1337

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
Android KitKat 4.4.4 AOSP
android-kitkat.png

WORKING:
- Screen (2D (surfaceflinger) + 3d (OpenGL ES 3.0)
- Sound
- GPS
- RIL
- SIM
- G/E/3G/H/H+/LTE
- Outgoing Calls
- Incoming Calls
- Outgoing SMS
- Incoming SMS
- Wifi
- NFC
- LED
- Camera
- Internal/External SD Card
- ExFat
- Bluetooth
- TV-OUT (MHL)
- Infrared (ConsumerIR)
- Sensors
- Netflix Playback
- USB OTG

Little Demonstration

Download:

kitkat2.png

If you like my work please consider making a donation, I spend almost all my free time on making this rom the best :p

Download PreFinal Release
- Last release before 100% bug free release "final v1" (from final v1 will only increment if new android version)

BUG COLLECTOR:
https://code.google.com/p/aosp-s4-kk/issues

Download:
http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP444-I9505-PreFinal.zip

Below is 4.4.2

Download Release Candidate 5:
check this post

Download:
http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP442-i9505-RC-5.zip

Download Release Candidate 4:
- Update to android-4.2.2_r2 (KVT49L)
- Cleaner ramdisk, increase read_ahead_kb
- Fix race condition at boot (100% Fix hang at boot)
- General fixes on cpu behavior
- Choose filesystem on format sdcard
- Dalvik: char array copy optimization
- Introduce RTC clock usage (wake on alarm when off)
- New Wifi firmware
- Some patches for virtual display
- Minor chromium fixes
- Fix video stutters
- Use Real KitKat color Scheme (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634743)
- QCOM patches for media/display
- Disabled Qcom Enhancements, Fixes video resolution on hw decoder and crash bug
- Tons of patches for audio/video playback
- Update kernel to 3.4.80 with many new patches
- New lossless kernel compression
- Enabled support for Fast Charging
- Camera focus fixes
- SDcard I/O error fixes

Download:
http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP442-i9505-RC-4.zip

Additional Information

Getting full WiFi speed
Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > *Press menu button* > Advanced > uncheck Wi-Fi Optimization

Other Downloads:

Download Gapps Lite + Root:
I recommend this lite gapps + root package, it's only around 20mb and works great with ART
http://www.broodplank.net/files/gapps-4.4.2-lite-with-supersu-1.86.zip

Download Boosterpack: (Next to already partly integrated it now causes bootloops)
The boosterpack releases are a combination of the optimized davlik / bionic libs from qualcomm.
Next to that it includes a Linaro O3 Kernel which is compiled with an Optimized Linaro Toolchain (Thanks to @Christopher83)

Latest release: http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP-4.4.2-Boosterpack-v7.zip

Installing:
1. Put latest release + gapps lite for 4.4.2 + root on your sdcard
2. Reboot in recovery (make sure its compatible with 4.4.x )
3. If coming from any other rom then a previous version of this aosp, its highly recommended to fully wipe /data to prevent bootloops
4. Install ROM zip and then install gapps + root (the one provided by the link)
5. Reboot your phone and enjoy my ROM

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][KTU84P]AOSP 4.4.4 from source, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
broodplank1337
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: PreFinal
Stable Release Date: 2014-06-21
Current Beta Version: 13
Beta Release Date: 2013-12-11

Created 2013-08-13
Last Updated 2014-06-20

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-08-08-23-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-08-08-23-23.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 47,358
  • Screenshot_2013-08-08-08-23-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-08-08-23-09.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 46,439
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 47,006
  • Screenshot_2013-08-23-04-53-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-23-04-53-51.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 45,170
  • Screenshot_2013-08-23-04-49-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-23-04-49-29.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 43,121
  • uberscore.jpg
    uberscore.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 36,465
  • Screensho.jpg
    Screensho.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 48,061
Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
Ok as some of you know I have been experimenting with AOSP 4.3 lately, and I have build it now from source (with the help of a lot of external repositories. although every file in /system/app and /system/framework is from the real aosp. so that means there are zero modifications to the system. This first build I really messy, I have compiled it with very much pain lol. It's kinda "frankenrom" right now since I have merged different builds together to get the best working system. but it works! And that's a big word when talking about the static aosp. (this is mainly because of the cm repo's else it would have never booted).
The performance is about the same of CM-10.2. it scores around 25k in antutu, but that's the last thing I care about right now.
I think we can get AOSP to work completely for jfltexx, it's not so hard with combined power.. it's hard to do it on your own tho.

Vanilla-O-Meter: 86%
(This represents the percentage of AOSP vanilla repositories used for last build)

WORKING:
- Sound
- GPS
- RIL
- SIM
- G/3G/H/LTE
- Outgoing Calls
- Incoming Calls
- Outgoing SMS
- Incoming SMS
- Wifi
- NFC
- LED
- Camera (HDR, no green lines on front cam photo's)
- ExFat
- Bluetooth
- IRDA (IR Blaster)
- TV-OUT (MHL)

Download:

Download Final Release 5:
- System wide root (all kernels)
- Hangs at bootlogo fixed!
- Some bug fixes to OpenGL ES3.0
- Reverted some provisioning updates (experimental)
- Patch for MKV playback
- Many patches to the camera/gallery
- LibVideoEditor fix
- Improved ADB Error logging (stderr support)

http://www.broodplank.net/files/aosp43-i9505-Final-R5.zip

Download Final Release 4
- Fixed sdcard writing bug
- Many patches from master (maybe including the rare crash on opengl es3.0)
- Provisioning bug (no baseband) probably fixed.
- Kernel update to 3.4.66

http://www.broodplank.net/files/aosp43-i9505-Final-R4.zip

Installing:
1. Put latest release + gapps for 4.3 on your sdcard
2. Reboot in CWM (NO OTHER RECOVERY!!!)
3. If coming from any other rom then a previous version of this aosp, its highly recommended to fully wipe /data to prevent bootloops
4. Install ROM zip and then install gapps (the one provided by the link)
5. Additionally but most likely you want to root it. use SuperSU v1.51 from Chainfire to root it

Credits for repositories:
- AOSP (Google)
- CyanogenMod
- SuperNexus

Credits for commits:
- CyanogenMod
- SlimROM
- LiquidSmooth
- SuperNexus
- AOSP

Screenshots are in the attachment

Scraps:
(these are the attachments I posted randomly)

- Gallery2 (deprecated since last build)
- Linaro O3 Kernel
- Kernel with VDD Sysfs Support (live UV/O) (deprecated since release 3)
- Gallery2 from CM-10.2 (No green lines on front cam and hdr pics but bugged interface)
- mini breakbeat mix (if you need to kill 8.5 minutes, listen to this)

Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
Good job Brood.

Hoping you'll have the phone part working soon..Would love to help with some testing.

Sendt fra min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk2

Thanks :) The RIL is working but it is not receiving anything, so that's a problem. the current way to hang up a phone call is: "adb shell radiooptions 10" :silly::silly:

but not being able to get called is a real problem, it just rings and rings at the person who calls but phone received nothing, also not in logcat. But the reason for that is the telephony provider of AOSP is not properly supporting the samsung ril,so i'm working on that (it's not easy XD :silly:)

For now Ill switch back to CM because all that time i'm not reachable. Keep checking this thread for updates.

edit: btw, if people want to experiment, please do! I cannot afford to be unreachable all the time

Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
I'll be very happy if you did with this one.

I will :)

Already fixed Incoming SMS, now incoming Calls is the target, I think the reason is that the signal strenght is extremely worse (not in the bar but as in values 1500 dBm 780 asu, its should be like 90 afaik. So working on that. :silly:

Also able to build it completely from source without any stops :) so everything gets compiled, no frankenrom combinations

Last 3 issues:
- Call incoming
- Bluetooth
- Camera

AMDPOWERFIST

Aug 9, 2010
Bathurst
Hi Brood,

I was wondering if you could explain what the differences are with your [JSS15J] AOSP vs other AOSP versions out CM10.2 etc etc ???
I am sure i am not the only one very curious about this. Maybe a little bit of info on the process and so on.

Cheers mate !!!

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
POWERFIST;44439173]Hi Brood,

I was wondering if you could explain what the differences are with your [JSS15J] AOSP vs other AOSP versions out CM10.2 etc etc ???
I am sure i.m not the only one very curious about this. Maybe a little of info on the process and so on.

Cheers mate !!!

Well. this aosp build has been compiled from sources. it uses pretty much CM sources, in order to be able to compile. Although the roms apps/framework files all 100% stock aosp 4.3. It had no modifications whatsoever zo its a sort of base ROM for developers. The most awesome roms are made on aosp. for example CM which is the most popular. CM is heavily modified but a true example of an aosp rom.

Then you have the samsung aosp builds... Which is the least actual aosp of all 3. The ROM is way to big to be a real aosp build. It contains loads of extra stuff which is their framework , but the worst part is. Closed source. So endless painful reverse engineering rom building.

Aosp is the initial mother ROM of all Android roms. Also for sammy stock fw. But if you compare 200mb (aosp) to 2.1gb (tw stock, bloated) then its just a big joke. they make their system so over the top large that it just redeems about 4gb of your total sdcard. Instead of optimizing the stock ROM. They only bloat it richly and add many crap that you dont want.. I love Samsung phones but im my opinion TW is a load of junk. I remeber doping my first antutu test. Just out the store. Phone went black. Reaching about 90 degrees Celcius.

In general the hardware of Samsung is always +1 but the software is always constructed very poorly. Without keeping any optimizing in kind. Samsung just wants tot release as much devices as possible. They do not care about the bugs it seems. Which is good because TW is one mega bug :D

I just hate tw since im a developer i guess. The way it works is just awful compared to aosp
I installed cm10.1 2 hours after i got my device lol.

Anyways. If this project is stable then this beats the google edition at any time. In usability

Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
Guys I got great news, incoming calls and sms is working! :victory: Now camera and bluetooth :fingers-crossed:

btw this last build I compiled had a different hwcomposer, and it made a lot of difference, the screen is not running in vsync atm, it looks really laggy but it runs over 60 fps (when the fps meter goes about 60 in the antutu benchmark test with the knights you know it), anyways, that will not come in the next build, it will include a proper hwcomposer and kernel (since they seem to coop I noticed :))

next build has working incoming call and sms. I also have found a patch for S4 camera, so I hope it works :fingers-crossed:

ok taking videos is already working, taking pictures is not (just like on cm because of the build.prop issue, which is kinda weird tbh).
Actually it just stacks up nicely along the "issues" from cm-10.2, mainly because I use the whole CM hardware folder probably

Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
So glad your still working on this one docter frankenstein :p

its getting less frankenrom every minute :) I'm currently compiling the whole system (from clean) and detecting errors/fixing them, and of course directly to github. else I forget it XD. Too much weed to remember everything :D

Anyways, when the camera works I'm happy, i don't care about bluetooth at all. but that doesn't mean it gets lower prio in fixing though

What I notice btw is that the system feels really clean, I have never got 25.8k at antutu before (also not with oc xd, and this kernel is just a very nasty build, recompiled like 10 times getting dirtier and dirtier XD)

Reactions: bungadudu and K900i

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
When are you going to post second build?

asap. I'm so extremely messy atm, have been compiling all night. actually almost 5 days in a row now XD.

Anyways, I'm going to post it now, DO NOT MIND THE BUILD.PROP, it's from CM10.2 and not even from me. It's the only build.prop that makes the camera take pictures.. I know this sounds extremely lame but it's really true, I've tested it many times with great disbelief. got crippled by my own sense of logicness. (only the host builder name and date is different, no extra lines tho :/)

Anyways, this build contains gapps as well. I know it's not allowed but if JBQ leaves the AOSP team I can easily do this in this dirty build :good:

You can also use the first build's zip and copy over: Phone, TelephonyProvider, Contacts and Dialer

Everything is working (afaik) except bluetooth, I removed the apk so it won't fc all the time.

Download here:

http://www.broodplank.net/files/aosp43-i9505-allworking-nobt-alpha02.zip

Going to take a break after the link has been posted because i have not sleept for over 48 hours already xd.

If you like to help me, be my guest, and download the manifest. it may include some small errors in building. But i can guarantee there are only very few.

https://github.com/AOSP-S4

Good luck and have fun testing guys, i'm off for now (I think xd)

Last edited:

broodplank1337

Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
4.3 has root protection idd but it's no that bad, Ill try rebuilding it with superuser added.

What you guys can do is adding:
- Settings.apk from
- /system/xbin/su
- /system/bin/.ext/su
- /system/etc/.has_su_daemon

All those from CM10.2 in AOSP4.3 zip, reinstall and it should work I think

or from Google Edition rom, like jamal's rom.

edit: included partially disabled SElinux boot.img, adb has root all the time.

Attachments

• boot.img
    5.5 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android KitKat 4.4.4 AOSP
    android-kitkat.png

WORKING:
    - Sound
    - GPS
    - RIL
    - SIM
    - G/E/3G/H/H+/LTE
    - Outgoing Calls
    - Incoming Calls
    - Outgoing SMS
    - Incoming SMS
    - Wifi
    - NFC
    - LED
    - Camera
    - ExFat
    - Bluetooth
    - TV-OUT (MHL)
    - Infrared (ConsumerIR)
    - Sensors
    - Netflix Playback
    - USB OTG

Little Demonstration

Download:

kitkat2.png

If you like my work please consider making a donation, I spend almost all my free time on making this rom the best :p

Download PreFinal Release
    - Last release before 100% bug free release "final v1" (from final v1 will only increment if new android version)

BUG COLLECTOR:
    https://code.google.com/p/aosp-s4-kk/issues

Download:
    http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP444-I9505-PreFinal.zip

Below is 4.4.2

Download Release Candidate 5:
    check this post

Download:
    http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP442-i9505-RC-5.zip

Download Release Candidate 4:
    - Update to android-4.2.2_r2 (KVT49L)
    - Cleaner ramdisk, increase read_ahead_kb
    - Fix race condition at boot (100% Fix hang at boot)
    - General fixes on cpu behavior
    - Choose filesystem on format sdcard
    - Dalvik: char array copy optimization
    - Introduce RTC clock usage (wake on alarm when off)
    - New Wifi firmware
    - Some patches for virtual display
    - Minor chromium fixes
    - Fix video stutters
    - Use Real KitKat color Scheme (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634743)
    - QCOM patches for media/display
    - Disabled Qcom Enhancements, Fixes video resolution on hw decoder and crash bug
    - Tons of patches for audio/video playback
    - Update kernel to 3.4.80 with many new patches
    - New lossless kernel compression
    - Enabled support for Fast Charging
    - Camera focus fixes
    - SDcard I/O error fixes

Download:
    http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP442-i9505-RC-4.zip

Additional Information

Getting full WiFi speed
    Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > *Press menu button* > Advanced > uncheck Wi-Fi Optimization

Other Downloads:

Download Gapps Lite + Root:
    I recommend this lite gapps + root package, it's only around 20mb and works great with ART
    http://www.broodplank.net/files/gapps-4.4.2-lite-with-supersu-1.86.zip

Download Boosterpack: (Next to already partly integrated it now causes bootloops)
    The boosterpack releases are a combination of the optimized davlik / bionic libs from qualcomm.
    Next to that it includes a Linaro O3 Kernel which is compiled with an Optimized Linaro Toolchain (Thanks to @Christopher83)

Latest release: http://www.broodplank.net/files/AOSP-4.4.2-Boosterpack-v7.zip

Installing:
    1. Put latest release + gapps lite for 4.4.2 + root on your sdcard
    2. Reboot in recovery (make sure its compatible with 4.4.x )
    4. Install ROM zip and then install gapps + root (the one provided by the link)
    5. Reboot your phone and enjoy my ROM

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][KTU84P]AOSP 4.4.4 from source, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    broodplank1337
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: PreFinal
    Stable Release Date: 2014-06-21
    Current Beta Version: 13
    Beta Release Date: 2013-12-11

Created 2013-08-13
    Last Updated 2014-06-20
    Ok as some of you know I have been experimenting with AOSP 4.3 lately, and I have build it now from source (with the help of a lot of external repositories. although every file in /system/app and /system/framework is from the real aosp. so that means there are zero modifications to the system. This first build I really messy, I have compiled it with very much pain lol. It's kinda "frankenrom" right now since I have merged different builds together to get the best working system. but it works! And that's a big word when talking about the static aosp. (this is mainly because of the cm repo's else it would have never booted).
    The performance is about the same of CM-10.2. it scores around 25k in antutu, but that's the last thing I care about right now.
    I think we can get AOSP to work completely for jfltexx, it's not so hard with combined power.. it's hard to do it on your own tho.

Vanilla-O-Meter: 86%
    (This represents the percentage of AOSP vanilla repositories used for last build)

WORKING:
    - Sound
    - GPS
    - RIL
    - SIM
    - G/3G/H/LTE
    - Outgoing Calls
    - Incoming Calls
    - Outgoing SMS
    - Incoming SMS
    - Wifi
    - NFC
    - LED
    - Camera (HDR, no green lines on front cam photo's)
    - ExFat
    - Bluetooth
    - IRDA (IR Blaster)
    - TV-OUT (MHL)

Download:

Download Final Release 5:
    - System wide root (all kernels)
    - Hangs at bootlogo fixed!
    - Some bug fixes to OpenGL ES3.0
    - Reverted some provisioning updates (experimental)
    - Patch for MKV playback
    - Many patches to the camera/gallery
    - LibVideoEditor fix
    - Improved ADB Error logging (stderr support)

http://www.broodplank.net/files/aosp43-i9505-Final-R5.zip

Download Final Release 4
    - Fixed sdcard writing bug
    - Many patches from master (maybe including the rare crash on opengl es3.0)
    - Provisioning bug (no baseband) probably fixed.
    - Kernel update to 3.4.66

http://www.broodplank.net/files/aosp43-i9505-Final-R4.zip

Installing:
    1. Put latest release + gapps for 4.3 on your sdcard
    2. Reboot in CWM (NO OTHER RECOVERY!!!)
    4. Install ROM zip and then install gapps (the one provided by the link)
    5. Additionally but most likely you want to root it. use SuperSU v1.51 from Chainfire to root it

Credits for repositories:
    - AOSP (Google)
    - CyanogenMod
    - SuperNexus

Credits for commits:
    - CyanogenMod
    - SlimROM
    - LiquidSmooth
    - SuperNexus
    - AOSP

Screenshots are in the attachment

Scraps:
    (these are the attachments I posted randomly)

- Gallery2 (deprecated since last build)
    - Linaro O3 Kernel
    - Kernel with VDD Sysfs Support (live UV/O) (deprecated since release 3)
    - Gallery2 from CM-10.2 (No green lines on front cam and hdr pics but bugged interface)
    - mini breakbeat mix (if you need to kill 8.5 minutes, listen to this)
    I have made a slow start in migrating to Android L, and now that i am busy with it, I notice again how time consuming it is. Since I don't have a lot of time, don't count on me to release the first working android 5 rom for the s4 (as i did with previous versions), this simply because i don't have the time to achieve this.

This time I will develop a bit more in lazy mode (to save time) by merging cm-12.0 sources where ever possible without touching the original aosp. (Which means no frameworks/base among many others, I will merge those directly from AOSP obviously)

Actually I had planned to have a bot (written in bash) by now that does the merging all automatically. but I have not created it yet.. FML

Anyways, long story short, dev started, but no turbo mode
    omg it's almost working!!!

Only 1 error left :D

E/qdhwcomposer( 296): Failed to call ioctl MSMFB_OVERLAY_SET err=Math result not representable

So im probably one mathematical step away from a (most likely) booting rom. :D:D Now have to find the file where that nasty calculation is made XD

ok that one is fixed now, it was an error in the kernel.
    now with the fixed kernel it still doesn't boot unfortunately, reason, audiopolicymanager. and camera module

im getting pretty excited right now, it the first "almost" boot in 3 days of non stop work xd
    Wow I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo close.

- AudioPolicy is fixed (audio-caf, libhardware, libhardware_legacy)
    - All CAF drivers are fixed (audio-caf, media-caf, display-caf)
    - Unknown camera call fixed (system_core)

Just did make clean and I'm now rebuilding it.

According to my calculations it should boot, the only problem that I encountered next to these fixed problems is that data wasn't mounted properly, thus it couldn't boot because of that as well, this might be some flaw in the sepolicy, but I think its actually because of the ramdisk, I edited the ramdisk myself and put a (incorrect) way of mounting data in there and it picked up data, but gave some error because it wasn't mounted properly.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I bet I get it working before CM!!