[ROM] kwbr Viewpad 4.2 :: BeatsAudio :: Flashplayer :: App2SD ,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸,.

Search This thread

Letitride

... downloaded google+ and it went on fine, synced mypictures etc, can see ,my circles..

as to the ext3 partition.... oh hell.... If i format it on the pc the phone sees it in titanium backup, if i launch link2sd or app2sd then it unmounts it, and then everything falls over....

If i flash, and leave it, then the phone does copy stuff to the partition, as pulling the card out makes it stop running, it even copys market(play) the the ext partition, as if i pull the card or cause it to dismount by running app2sd, then i get a force close for it and i cant run it till i reboot the phone.. so my apps are moving, invisibly, and saving me space, but i can have no control over it...

also i have now flashed this about 8 times today! at some points i have installed nofrills cpu etc and can get 864, sometimes only to 806 ... surely it should be the same every time....

and CWM is terrible, its 'format' leaves data behind, in fact it does not seem to wipe/format at all, and its backup restore is not 100% either....(see cwm5 thread) so theres no way to gtee a 'fresh' install etc

that being said this is a good rom, and i will be keeping it on for a good evaluation ... using the bluelitmus kernel to get the higher speeds, but i dont think that relevant to my sd card issues

EDIT: OMG can anyone confirm if the ecompass is working, i just installed google sky maps and it says i'm always facing south... I tried compass app too, and thats 'not right' either, they do move, but not as expected, and seem to favour south above anything else..

DW has Talkatone on her Wifi only iPad2 for Google Voice calls but it's not compatible with Vpad7 or showing up in market (Play) or Amazon - so I got GooVe IP Lite running Voip - between Skype and this, we now have options for making free voice calls. Google Plus is showing up - maybe I will devote some time to explore this FB alternative ...

A2SD is tricky to setup, took me several days of trial & error, despite developer's detailed guide/steps on how-to, to figure out the best way to format the mSD card (with CWM v2.x.x - not the newer v4.x.x or v5.x.x - done on an android-based HTC smartphone first, then, inserting into the Vpad7 and restoring the zip files, etc. after flashing & setting it up initially) Have you tried using A2SDGUI - it's a helpful interface to check & diagnose installation & problems in its use ... It is true that there is NO user control or option on what Apps to move or keep, etc. - it's auto-pilot mode without input, but, I'm fine with it since it's freeing up lots of space/memory/ram on the device to load more apps.

As for pulling or changing mSD cards while in use, that's a "no-no" - if I needed to copy/move/edit files, just connect the m-USB cable & switch out of "charge only" mode - that'll take care of the FC or crashes, if that's what you are referring to ...

As for the overclocking issues with the kernels or formatting, I'm not so sure - CWM is kind of buggy as being work in progress - and, learned to live without OC the CPU. Tried using MoboPlayer for video playback and Dolphin Browser HD for accessing mobile websites instead of the default ones.

Some of my apps are "missing" from market (Play) but I managed to use Amazon to download it - worked, i.e. USA Today, while other apps continue to protest as being "incompatible" with the device, oh well.

Ecompass is working on mine, no issues with downloaded Google Sky running - try using GPS Status from "Play" as it settings should help pinpoint & fix some of the location-based issues.

The multi-touch (ITE) screen is still a bit laggy and required a firmer pressure sometimes, but it's functional for me - going to "push" it around a bit more in the next few days before I decide on whether to keep it, or, back it up and restore EUv1.7b ...

Updated comments/feedback - 7/11/12: Over the weekend, I've downloaded Cleanview ICE v1.1 ITE verison to play a bit and for comparative purposes (ICE has a nice background and A2SD worked out of the box - but the ROM with its OC ? kernel and stricted of some apps aren't for me yet, it's nice & all - but too many random/unexpected FC'd and crashes within apps - did a CWM backup to save it and moved on) Back on this ROM, this is more stable but A2SD script isn't running 100% as written and I didn't have time to run adb or go into Terminal Emulator to try to figure it out ... Flash 10.2 (using MoboPlayer) working as long as I enabled software encoding to play one of the newer compatible MP4/video - but the audio & video seemed way out of sync. - seemed to slow to a crawl at times near the point of stopping completely - perhaps 10.3 or 11.x is better if I manage to sideload to update it? With either ROM, scrolling & home screen, switching all looked very nice with Launcher Plus/Pro loaded vs. default launcher, and screen auto-rotation seemed to work fine - using Widgetsoid on the EUv1.7 ITE Rom but with another layer of interface/panel - that setup get "sluggish" too. Both developers did a fine job of adapting and getting theirs to work & play with ITE hardware devices (thank you ! ) and with a bit more refinement - good choices for Daily Use. Meanwhile, I've CWM restored my faithful EUv1.7 ITE ROM - updated a few apss from "Play Store" - it's running smoothly with good memory management, and no FC'd and Flash is running on it ... drooling on the Jelly Bean (in our dreams, of course ... ain't going to run on our hardware)

Last edited:

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
ok my ecompass now seems to be working.... it seemed to not calibrate properly, which is nothing new on these devices...but if i faced west or east it said a bit to west of south or the east of south, never fully west or east, facing north it said south...

after dangling my keys (which are a bit magnetic) over the phone and playing/confusing it it then worked fine... so i think it was just a calibration thing and seeing the strong field from my keys reset it

i hope....

still cant use apps2sd or link2sd, but the phone is really installing new apps to the ext3 partition, so i'm not complaining etc its just odd the phone/kernal/whatever is accessing ext3 but the downlaoded apps that try to view the ext3 cause the ext3 to dismount and then the apps that are on ext3 are gone form the system, and it crashes....

oh one thing thats miffed me, on the stock theres a widget for favourite contacts, i used to always have that on screen one so i could see my ten most used, thats not in this rom, can anyone suggest a replacement for it?

VPAD7

Mar 14, 2012
Ive just downloaded and i come up with a problem, im not sure if its your ROM or the device, the thing is im using my VPAD7 as an wifi hotspot but every 20 or so minutes my laptop loses connection and i have to disconect and connect again the tethering on the device.
I like this ROM and would like to keep it, its m favourite but i really need it to tether my 3G to my laptop since i have no other way.
Thank you man, continue the good work.

modelman1968

Nov 10, 2011
Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus
Xiaomi 11T
I've flashed the kwbr rom, very happy with it generally, but when I try to boot into recovery I just get the welcome screen with "enter recovery mode" in the top left hand corner of the screen. I can't get any further and have to hit the reset to reboot. Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong? I can't find a way to enter recovery mode.

kwbr

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2007
I've flashed the kwbr rom, very happy with it generally, but when I try to boot into recovery I just get the welcome screen with "enter recovery mode" in the top left hand corner of the screen. I can't get any further and have to hit the reset to reboot. Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong? I can't find a way to enter recovery mode.

I always flashed an official rom first using the viewsonic flasher to make sure all partitions are cleaned. After that flash cwm and the rom. I used this device with the lastest rom for months 'till I sold it and bought a Tab 2 7"

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
Do we have many users left now, as its still a useable tablet.

Dropped my second one the other day, can't believe I dropped my first one from the chair to a carpet and it smashed, and this second one from a jacket pocket in the carpark and it bounced !

Just scuffed the plastic.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

MobiMikes

Aug 30, 2012
I don't know about *many* users left, but I at least am still having tons of fun with my viewpad 7.
I've been running this rom for some months now and it is a delight! I've had one or two unrequested reboots but I suspect that has been due more to my predilection for running beta software (tasker most recently)
I removed the flash player and acrobat reader immediately as I despise flash (can't wait for it to die a lonely death) and acrobat would frequently show blank pages in pdf's.
I had to give up on swype and revert to SwiftKey as swype was very laggy.

Wireless Hotspot/Tether works fine despite the comments from others. I use Hotspot constantly and use AutoRemote to pass notifications/missed calls/calls/sms/email to pc.

Issues: compass is crap - always needing calibrated. Charger cable is prone to screwing-up if you use your Viewpad whilst charging (I'm on my third charger) and as it's a non-stock charger it's only available from viewsonic. Slow to boot - though that's mostly due to having a few widgets and well over a hundred apps installed I guess :p

Overall, the viewpad running this rom is still a very usable and viable tablet. For the price I paid originally (£150) nothing else came close to it (due mostly to similarly priced tablets not having 3g)

Hopefully a few others will stick with the viewpad 7 but I very much doubt it.

Regards, Michael

Sent from my antique Speak and Spell running Froyo.

jsimonson0

Oct 31, 2011
Bavaro, La Alta Gracia, RD
Do we have many users left now, as its still a useable tablet.

Dropped my second one the other day, can't believe I dropped my first one from the chair to a carpet and it smashed, and this second one from a jacket pocket in the carpark and it bounced !

Just scuffed the plastic.

I just took mine to Punta Cana; it's my go-to travel device. I have an Orange prepaid SIM installed, so I get a local number, and sync all my contacts to it.

tranqui69

Apr 5, 2008
I dusted off my old viewpad, and come back to this thread for news. Is there any possibility to use the front camera for video calls?
Thanks for your work.

tranqui69

Apr 5, 2008
It's not obsolete! It's gracefully distinguished! :p

+1 :good:

I read that android 2.3 is needed to use google talk. There were some attempts to port android 2.3 to our tablet, but came to nothing.
Thanks anyway to all those who still remain alive.
Tango allows video calls, but only with rear camera.
The last time I used it, Fring also allowed the use of the front camera, but lacks software for pc

Last edited:

rgisondi

Aug 2, 2007
Skype video call works on my samsung galaxy that run with android 2.1. I think that the lack of video call with front camera is a viewpad problem

Inviato dal mio GT-P1000 con Tapatalk 2

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
I think obsolete is a bit of a strong term.. I still like mine lol

MobiMikes

Aug 30, 2012
hi
skype very much works on our pad too i have used long time back and it worked :good::D

From what I've heard Skype can only use the back camera on FroYo, use of front camera is available from gingerbread onwards.
If you had it working using front camera I'd be interested to hear?

kwbr

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2007
And a HaPpy New Year ,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸,.-~*´¨¯¨`*,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸,.-~*´¨¯¨`*,.-~*´¨¯¨`

Hopefully this year was great for you and your family. I wish a HaPpy New Year to everyone at XDA. Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

fireworks.jpg

Reactions: haree and MobiMikes

MobiMikes

Aug 30, 2012
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your Viewpad also :)

Reactions: haree

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a fast and stable Viewpad 7 rom. I used the latest ViewSonic Viewpad 7 UK rom, version 3.620 as a basis.

For apps2sd create an 1024mb ext3 partition and cache size 0 with clockwork mod.

Don't forget to wipe after flashing the rom. Scroll down for version history.

Donate

Lots of goodies like black status bar, BeatsAudio, Flash Player, Apps2SD, super performance! All apps updated, new Google Play Store.

Downloads
    * kwbr rom for ViewSonic Viewpad 7
    Version history

kwbr 4.2 (Apr 2, 2012)

- Android-version 2.2.2
    - Kernel-version Apps_2.6.32.9
    - Build-number 4027_3_620
    - Rooted
    - Deodexed
    - Apps2SD
    - Black StatusBar
    - Battery Percentage Indicator on StatusBar
    - Automated log cleaning after reboot
    - BeatsAudio

- Updated
    . Adfree host file
    . Adobe Reader
    . Busybox
    . ES File Explorer
    . flash_image binary in /system/bin
    . Flash Player 10.3
    . Gmail
    . Google Play Store
    . GoogleQuickSearchBox
    . Google Music with BeatAudio
    . Hacker's Keyboard
    . su

- Removed
    . Ringtones
    . Alkido eBook reader
    . Filemanager
    . Latitude
    . Maps
    . News and Weather widget
    . Notepad
    . Places
    . RSS
    . Street
    . Talk
    . Touchpal keyboard
    . VoiceNote
    . Voice dial
    . Voice search
    . Last but not least I got rid of the annoying default bookmarks

Built for
    - Modelnumber Viewpad7
    - FTM:
    . SWVer=3.620
    . MODEL:FM6-0001
    . HWVer:106

For rooting your stock rom use SuperOneClickv1.7 which you can find in my repository.

Do mind to install the correct usb drivers. I had to install and run ViewSonic Switcher (SwitchUSB.exe) to get ADB working.
    Thank you very much.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

U can download Bluelimus form GHOME and update in from bootloader. Maybe it's work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1333553
    Should work with this rom when you have non-ITE hardware.
    hi
    is this rom rooted , will it work for non ITE hardware and does this have apps2sd
    thanks in advance:D
    Hi haree, the rom is pre-rooted and includes the latest version of superuser and su (please read posts 1 and 2). apps2sd is not yet included because I don't need it and I built this rom for personal usage. If you want to testdrive I can build a rom with apps2sd included :)
    hi
    that was lightning fast thanks again buddy ill try and keep u posted on the same:)
    You're welcome. Upload is finished, please give your feedback and don't forget to hit the thanks button :)