[ROM] LG Thrive P506 Stock FOTA 2.2.2 v11h

Search This thread

avengin

Jul 4, 2011
So read this through before you call me noob, even though i quite am a noob.

I have a p505 i've been doing some mixing and matching with p500 roms and
my backup of the boot img from my p505, and i found out that i fixed the
screen issue and everything when i used the "devoid" rom for p500 and my boot
img. Just it kept shutting down if it wasnt plugged in due to a bettery heat
sensor issue. otherwise it was a totally, clean and working p500 rom on a p505.

Now out of curiosity i went and did a flash of this rom on my p505, i cleared,
dalvik, user data, cache, and battery stats... Now this is where i bet most are
thinking its a stupid idea, and this wont work, well i flashed it anyways...

I didnt have a single issue with this rom on my p505, i take it i was suppose to?
The lg site doesnt label my phone as a p505 but a p505r.. is my phone a hybrid
between p505 and p506? cause if i set up the apn settings for my phone i dont
know yet but i shouldnt have any issues with this rom on my rogers lg p505...

I am not an at&t customer, just to clear that question up.

** So to continue on if the data works, yes i set up the apn, and this p506
rom is working perfectly out of the box on my p505r

now to figure out themes....

Last edited:

Chadw1985

Aug 4, 2011
Columbia, Sc
i have noticed in a few places where it gives model number in system files on my p506 it says p505. Are these phones really that similar?

[EDIT] I did some research. (which i should have done before i asked the question) and other then a couple drivers and color they are pretty much exact.

Last edited:

scarfather

Sep 2, 2009
Lg Thrive Bricked

Hey. I wanted to know if I can flash this using fastboot or emergency mode. My phone doesnt turn on because of something i did on rom manager so can you tell me please how to flash it without it being able to turn on. Many Thanks in Advance!!!!

ASMAteMe

Mar 4, 2011
Standard disclaimer applies: if anything breaks down, it wasn't me.
Use this only on LG Thrive P506, not P505 or others.

Here's a flashable zip with the latest AT&T FOTA rom (thunderg-user 2.2.2 FRG83G LG-P506-V11h.19BA7112F9).

Changes from stock rom?
- rooted, deodexed, added a2sd support.
- updated Google apps (market, gmail, maps, voice search).
- added FM radio app (from P500) and AppWidgetPicker.
- RTL fix applied.
- AT&T apps moved from /system to /data, so they can be uninstalled.
- build.prop modified: debug.sf.hw=1 and wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120.

How to flash?
- if you don't have a custom recovery, you first have to root, install Rom Manager and install CWM (use Optimus One version for now, it's imperfect but usable).
- use Rom Manager to boot to recovery, make a backup, and install the zip. The rom does not wipe your data, but do a factory reset before complaining about FCs.

Advanced topics
- a patched CWM recovery can be found here. It only solves the color issue, not others. A real solution may be pending.
- I usually delete DunServer.apk and IQAgent.apk from /system/app, as they seem to run automatically and do nothing. Perhaps WapService.apk is expendable too. YMMV.
- AT&T preset bookmarks/contacts can be removed by using SQL tools on the appropriate databases. I didn't bother with wifi/apn presets.

Thank you so much for this! I had installed Mikes Cyn rom & my display was completely messed up.. I downloaded this, went into rom manager & choose to install rom from sd card. I went into the recovery mode & it wouldnt allow it because of the signature so I simply disabled that. I installed the rom then without error. After installation I went ahead & deleted the data/case/dalsik etc, basically everything including battery.

I then rebooted from the recovery & the phone restarted.. It took maybe 2 minutes to completely boot all the way through but once it was up it took me straight to the phone settings as if it was a brand new phone to setup everything! I had to immediately give it back to my girlfriend, since it was her phone lol, so I just skipped the setup but once she gets back later I will be able to do that!

This completely saved me! I was so worried that I wouldnt be able to fix the display glitch that I got from installing the cyn rom!

BigBoyPL

Apr 20, 2010
I think "FOTA" is Firmware over the air. KDZ file is not FOTA just normal update. FOTA files have .up extension ;]

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
Are you questioning my choice of name? :confused:

This rom is based on a dump of a P506 updated to 2.2.2 using FOTA.
Having no KDZ around, it's pretty reasonable to call the rom "Stock FOTA".

If this wasn't convincing, feel free to modify the rom and call it whatever you like :cool:

paulo.braga

Apr 14, 2009
Sao Paulo
Tkanks,
I just install LG Thrive P506 Stock FOTA 2.2.2 v11h and my Thrive works fine.
Now my Igo8 get GPS signal.
Is any way to put or install a Portuguese-Brazil language? This is because my wife is going to use this phone and she doesn´t speek english.

kickdrum74

Sep 21, 2010
Muscle Shoals, AL
Hello, I am havina problem with my friends thrive. For some reason now that the firmware has been updated, the phone just reboots into recovery not the Rom. This happens when I restore from NAND and when I installed this Rom. I need help please. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using xda premium

raenye

Dec 7, 2010
Is any way to put or install a Portuguese-Brazil language?
This is stock deodexed; I guess LG/AT&T didn't put in support for too many languages.
Try installing CM7 for a broader support (and performance).

For some reason now that the firmware has been updated, the phone just reboots into recovery not the Rom. This happens when I restore from NAND and when I installed this Rom.
Did you use Rom Manager itself, or just used it to boot to recovery and do the installation/backup/restore from there?

Does it happen every boot? did you try the usual stuff -- taking battery out for a few seconds, reflashing recovery, reflashing rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Standard disclaimer applies: if anything breaks down, it wasn't me.
    Use this only on LG Thrive P506, not P505 or others.

Here's a flashable zip with the latest AT&T FOTA rom (thunderg-user 2.2.2 FRG83G LG-P506-V11h.19BA7112F9). Old, non-working mirror is here.

Changes from stock rom?
    - rooted, deodexed, added a2sd support.
    - updated Google apps (market, gmail, maps, voice search).
    - added FM radio app (from P500) and AppWidgetPicker.
    - RTL fix applied.
    - AT&T apps moved from /system to /data, so they can be uninstalled.
    - build.prop modified: debug.sf.hw=1 and wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120.

How to flash?
    - if you don't have a custom recovery, you first have to root, install Rom Manager and install CWM (use Optimus One (Old BB) version for now, it's imperfect but usable).
    - use Rom Manager to boot to recovery (do nothing else from Rom Manager!), make a backup, and install the zip. The rom does not wipe your data, but do a factory reset before complaining about FCs.

Advanced topics
    - a patched CWM recovery can be found here. It only solves the color issue, not others. A real solution may be pending.
    - I usually delete DunServer.apk and IQAgent.apk from /system/app, as they seem to run automatically and do nothing. Perhaps WapService.apk is expendable too. YMMV.
    - AT&T preset bookmarks/contacts can be removed by using SQL tools on the appropriate databases. I didn't bother with wifi/apn presets.
    I haven't seen any tutorial around here that recommends the use of fastboot update.

- fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery.img,
    - fastboot boot cwm-recovery.img (keys not working now)
    - adb shell
    - reboot recovery (keys are working now)
    - flash the rom itself from within CWM.
    SOLVED - LG P506 Thrive Now 2.2.2 after unroot & AT&T OTA upgrade try to 2.2.2

Thanks to the XDA Forum and users. With it I stitched together a solution and have returned my LG P506 (AT&T Thrive) to good working order with 2.2.2

This was my first Android learner phone, since I would soon need to know Android +/- for work.

Started with a backed up (and backed up) Rooted LG Thrive running 2.2.1 with CWM Recovery. Tried to unroot and return to stock (unfreeze AT&T bloatware, unroot, etc). The AT&T 2.2.2 over-the-air (OTA) was successful, but after reboot the P506 was stuck in a CWM boot-to-recovery mode.

All the fastboot commands, all the CWM recovery commands worked fine. New Custom Stock ROM 2.2.2 re-flashed fine, but the phone would still either boot to CWM Recovery to Fastboot-mode depending on Keys/buttons pressed at boot.

So phone wasn't bricked, but was stuck.

From this XDA forum (this and other XDA forum posting here and there). The Solution was found.

From another LG P506 thread here I got 2 files boot.img and system.img for LG P506 (I did use these files, but perhaps a full custom CWM ROM recovery would be good to -- These are the facts, you can refine)

From the LG Fastboot command I

>fastboot flash boot boot.img

>fastboot flash system system.img

Tried to boot but still stuck at CWM Recovery

POST AFTER POST here says wipe phone more or less. I did wipes with CWM Recovery. I was never really sure how to do enough but NOT TOO MUCH of a WIPE. Too timid as a noob, never tried to fastboot to erase.

LEARNED POINT: fastboot erase is/must-be different than CWM Recovery wipes/formats etc.

The LG P506 was a starter Android phone to learn on, build skill and make mistakes without wrecking an $800 phone.

I had seen another XDA Forum posting about the structure of the phone's file system ... it showed 'system' 'cache' 'userdata' 'misc' 'FOTABIN' 'FOTA' ... plus a few more.

HINDSIGHT: I looked for but could not find a good here is how ANDROID boots for this phone. (1) this .. (2) that ... (3) etc .. kernel, GUI, etc. I suspect I would have learned that something I erased below like FOTA or FOTABIN was running and dying throwing me into CWM Recovery.

I felt I had nothing to loose at this point and no matter what I tried I was (up to that point) still always able to get into CWM Recovery. CWM Recovery ROCKS!

The BREAK THROUGH....

In fastboot mode again.

>flastboot erase FOTA

>flastboot erase FOTABIN

>fastboot erase misc

>fastboot erase cache

>fastboot erase userdata

>fastboot reboot

... there was the LG P506 running 2.2.2 sans the AT&T bloatware. Battery needed recharged, so I took my son to House of Air in the Presidio in San Francisco for trampoline dodgeball.

Nearly 24 hours later the LG P506 Thrive is still working fine.

I suspect that (1) either the boot & system img were needed and something needed erased/wiped.

-- OR --

(2) something like FOTA and/or FOTABIN need erased first and foremost.

As newbie, I was not sure quite what to do at each turn. Using google, I struggled to find insightful android documentation for my problem that was current and not about older versions of ANDROID. The Forum experts use acronyms and speak at an expert-level at times, but the gist of what they shared feels/felt sound. But kind of hard to hear Babe-Ruth explain how to hit a HOME RUN and all together different thing to step into the batter's box and hit a HOME RUN.

Anyhow, the XDA FORUM ROCKS. The experts are EXPERT, I'm unworthy. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.