[ROM] LineageOS 15.1 UNOFFICIAL - BETA8 (2018-10-22)

Search This thread

derf elot

May 7, 2011
Last edited:

duckysmokton

Sep 2, 2018
Paris
I've tried this build but after a few moments the boot process interrupted and came back to TWRP. So I've tried to restore the backup done via TWRP (with build 20181022), but now it seems to stay stuck on boot animation, even after 15-20 minutes. What could have gone wrong, and what could be done to unblock my phone ?

derf elot

May 7, 2011
I've tried this build but after a few moments the boot process interrupted and came back to TWRP. So I've tried to restore the backup done via TWRP (with build 20181022), but now it seems to stay stuck on boot animation, even after 15-20 minutes. What could have gone wrong, and what could be done to unblock my phone ?

flashing the build you were using before should work. you cannot dirty flash these builds over the betas, nor can you restore a twrp backup of /data as these ones require a format of /data. that's due to the different keys. you can only migrate by backing up apps/data from within the beta ROM (on sdcard), then format /data, flash new ROM and restore from within new build.

edit: reminder to myself: I should probably mention this again with every new build I post. it has been mentioned several times already now, but always a few pages back.

Last edited:

duckysmokton

Sep 2, 2018
Paris
Understood, I shouldn't have jumped on the build without precautions :D I've found the following post on how to fix back to previous beta, but after formatting (without wiping cache/dalvik) and installing I still can't boot (after step 6). The boot animation lasts maybe 1-2 minutes before reverting to TWRP (even if I try to boot directly from power-off state). Any suggestion is welcomed.

Finally I built up the courage to try to update my phone with the 2019-03 security patch. Never done it before, didn't work as expected, and finally spent 8 h or so trying to get the old beta8 to run again with my backup. Here is what I did. Any help appreciated:

1) Free up your internal memory: move photos, music, videos, maps, ringtones, and the like to HDD
2) Backup your data with TWRP onto the SD card (all but system image and cache)
OF SPECIAL IMPORTANCE: "data"
3) copy your LineageOS.zip onto the SD card
(also possible when in TWRP/Advanced/File Manager)
4) in TWRP, choose wipe and then format in order to get rid of encryption
if not formatting, you may end up in boot loops
do not wipe dalvik etc before or after formatting
5) reboot into recovery again
6) install LOS (beta8).zip
7) reboot into system and click through set-up, then into recovery again
if not, you'll get a 255 ERROR when trying to restore, also boot loop
8) restore with TWRP (restore nothing but "data excl. storage")
9) copy back you photos, maps, ringtones etc
10) reboot

When installing LOS 2019-03 instead of beta8, boot into system and first settings are fine; but after restoring /data with TWRP the system doesn't boot up completely (endless boot animation).
When trying to restore /system with TWRP, first TWRP complains that /system is write protected. Removing write protection in the Mount menu, öeads to a TWRP warning, and restoring /system and data led to a system stuck in the Sony screen. That's why I re-installed beta8 with restoring only /data (not /system).

EDIT : ok, I've finally managed to re-flash correctly the 20181022 build, the missing point was just a full wipe of the partitions (by using advanced option in wipe, and selecting everything except external storage), then after a format of data and a new reboot to TWRP I've flashed once again, it booted correctly. Back to TWRP to restore my data partition, and after a few fixes (reinstall of GApps, Magisk, uninstall/reinstall Signal and Shazam which were acting weirdly) everything's back to normal.

I think I'll wait for a functional LOS 16 release before flashing another ROM :silly:

Last edited:

DerSteppo

Aug 10, 2017
Frankfurt
ASUS ZenFone 8
... you cannot dirty flash these builds over the betas ...

I actually did that. I was on your previous build (March) and dirty flashed the April build yesterday evening, no problems. I had Magisk 19.0 installed and even the boot image has automatically been re-packed and re-installed. Root is fully working, Google Pay, Adblock etc. Am I missing something, or is your unofficial build ≠ beta ? :confused:

EDIT: However, I did a full wipe and format before installing the March build, if that was key.

derf elot

May 7, 2011
no,when I say beta I mean the ones uploaded by modpunk, the last of which is beta8 from last year. if you were already running my build, this should indeed not be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: andacro
Mar 12, 2018
Hi, I have trouble using newsflasher. Somehow it just closes the window without flashing anything.

Here is what I did
0) successfully flashed modpunks beta 8 bulid
1) downloaded FW_G8441_Customized DE_1310-4373_47.1.A.16.20_R6B.zip by derf elot from March 12 2019
2) extracted downloaded zip folder
3) shut down phone, press volume down and connect with usb (green led is on)
4) double clicked on newsflasher.exe (in same folder with files to flash)
5) in newsflasher 1st optional step I tiped ''y'' to create GordonGate.7z, it states:
GordanGate.7z archive created
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste... (Press any key...)
6) after pressing any key the window just closes and nothing happens :(

What do I do wrong?? thanks for your help

Tonux

Sep 22, 2010
Hi, I have trouble using newsflasher. Somehow it just closes the window without flashing anything.

Here is what I did
0) successfully flashed modpunks beta 8 bulid
1) downloaded FW_G8441_Customized DE_1310-4373_47.1.A.16.20_R6B.zip by derf elot from March 12 2019
2) extracted downloaded zip folder
3) shut down phone, press volume down and connect with usb (green led is on)
4) double clicked on newsflasher.exe (in same folder with files to flash)
5) in newsflasher 1st optional step I tiped ''y'' to create GordonGate.7z, it states:
GordanGate.7z archive created
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste... (Press any key...)
6) after pressing any key the window just closes and nothing happens :(

What do I do wrong?? thanks for your help

It closes to allow you to install GordonGate, once the drivers have been installed (you have to extract the archive and install them yourself), re run and type "n" when prompted. I tend to skip the second optional prompt as well

DerSteppo

Aug 10, 2017
Frankfurt
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hey @derf elot, I have discovered an annoying bug: When someone calls me and I pick up, I cannot hear the person on the other side, but they can hear me. When I hang up and call them back, everything is fine.
First I did not realize, I thought the other person might be in a dead zone, but this has happened with all calls so far. Seems to be a problem with speakers on incoming calls, but not outgoing?! Does someone else have this problem?

Reactions: Strigae

derf elot

May 7, 2011
interesting, I don't seem to have this issue. I wonder if this is somehow related to a loss of audiofocus that was reported on poplar. do you guys have the ringtone on? mine is set to only vibrate, maybe that's the difference. could you try that and see if that works around the issue? I assume you both have flashed the latest O fw files?

DerSteppo

Aug 10, 2017
Frankfurt
ASUS ZenFone 8
I just rebootet and it seems to be working now. I will report if it stops again, because I don't think it was like this from the beginning, but don't remember now.

I have another calling app installed, Sipgate satellite. Any idea if that might be the troublemaker?

EDIT: Yes, ringtone is on, vibration also. Cannot test the workaround now, since it is working with ringtone switched on at the moment.

Last edited:

derf elot

May 7, 2011
that is possible. we have had some long running issues with VoIP (which I guess this is?) relating to audio. you can check the devonly 15.1 thread, modpunk once posted how to debug this - _if_ this is indeed related to that issue.

DaniJaponezu

Apr 6, 2019
I have the beta 8 ROM. Is it important to update to the april build for security reasons? I mean is there a big difference? Im not very good at doing this and dont want to mess something up

Killerkip

Oct 8, 2010
Hey @derf elot, I have discovered an annoying bug: When someone calls me and I pick up, I cannot hear the person on the other side, but they can hear me. When I hang up and call them back, everything is fine.
First I did not realize, I thought the other person might be in a dead zone, but this has happened with all calls so far. Seems to be a problem with speakers on incoming calls, but not outgoing?! Does someone else have this problem?

I faced this issue as well a few times and after it having worked without issues during the week (with ringtone enabled) it happened again today.

The only thing I can think of having done differently is that I had listened to some music on Spotify using the 3.5mm jack roughly 20 mins before receiving the call, maybe this is a clue to the problem?

I'll try to see if I can get it to happen again and in which conditions (if this is of any help?).

EDIT: It happened again, this time while listening to some music using the stock music player (through the 3.5mm jack) so it might be related to audio focus that @derf elot mentioned? In both cases an audio app was running (and connected through the jack if that matters although I did disconnect it before answering).

Last edited:
Reactions: coin3x

derf elot

May 7, 2011
thanks for the reports. someone using xz1 has already sent me logs about the loss of audiofocus issue. I'll do my best to have a look at it this weekend, the main focus is now on 16.0. also need to try and get a usecase on my device with which I can reproduce and test possible fixe(s).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 15.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

screenshot_lilac_01.png
    screenshot_lilac_02.png

BETA RELEASE

This release is a beta release. It works very well and can be used as a daily driver. Please check the lists about what works or not below and check what needs testing and feedback.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • FDroid preinstalled
    • FDroid Privilege Extension
    • Bugs included

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here. Check the ChangeLog below for firmware requirements!

INSTALLATION

Put the zip file of the ROM on you sdcard or internal store and boot into recovery. If you use my TWRP recovery, you should use that one to flash the ROM.

Make sure you select Zip signature verification.

This will make sure the zip file has not been altered!

KNOWN ISSUES

• IMS support is missing (we are working on it, but it isn't trivial)

HARDWARE

• Phone doesn't work well with Mifare NFC tokens
    • IMS does not fully work for some carriers yet

UNTESTED

XDA:DevDB Information
    lineageos_sony_lilac, ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot
    Source Code: https://github.com/cryptomilk/android_device_sony_lilac

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 8
    Beta Release Date: 2018-10-22

Created 2018-02-05
    Last Updated 2018-10-22
    CHANGELOG

2018-10-22
    • Updated Kernel to version 4.4.161
    • Use same vibration strength as stock
    • Updated GPS stack
    • Recommended firmware: 47.1.A.16.20

2018-09-17
    • Updated Kernel to version 4.4.156
    • Improved GPS performance, GPS fix in less than 10 seconds now
    • Added stock camera app
    • Recommended firmware: 47.1.A.16.20

2018-08-14
    • Updated Kernel to version 4.4.147
    • Some performance improvements (The system should be more responsive)
    • Improvements to save some battery
    • Fixed touch pressure issues
    • Requires firmware version: 47.1.A.12.270

2018-06-12
    • Updated Kernel to version 4.4.136
    • Added support for WireGuard VPN
    • Added support for Sony modem configurations

2018-05-16
    • Updated to completely new kernel which follows Linux 4.4.x stable (Thanks @derf elot)
    • Updated display stack to newer version
    • Fixed USB Tethering which broke with BETA2
    • More volume steps for media playback
    • Fixed IRQ balancing (found by derf elot) (This is broken in Stock ...)

2018-04-16
    • Updated to April build
    • Fixed 'OK Google'
    • Fixed wifi startup issues
    • Fixed GPS issues

2018-03-23
    • Kernel bugfixes
    • Native exfat support
    • Several audio improvements
    • Updated vibration patterns
    • Updated brightness levels
    • Fixed IMS
    • Fixed MTP
    • Fixed offmode charging

2018-02-19
    • Added HWComposer improvements (efficient ColorTransform)
    • Added Kernel support for exfat formatted sdcards
    • Added Vulkan compute feature
    • Added IPv6 ebtables
    • Switched Snap to Camera API2 with extended features (ubifocus, optizoom, blur, pro mode, etc.)
    • Fixed headphones audio
    • Fixed NFC
    • Fixed tethering support
    • Fixed audio effects

2018-02-06
    • The big bang!
    UPGRADE FIRMWARE

• Grab the Sony Stock firmware using e.g. XPeriFrim. You should always flash the firmware matching the LOS build.
    • Grab newflasher and put it in the same folder as the firmware files.
    • Read the newflasher original post on XDA for general instructions!
    • Remove the follwing from the folder so they won't get flashed:
      • all *.ta files (keep the one in the boot/ directory)
      • cache*.sin
      • fotakernel*.sin
      • kernel*.sin
      • system*.sin
      • userdata*.sin
      • vendor*.sin
    • Turn off your phone
    • Hold the volume down button and attach it via USB to your system till you see LED turning green
    • Run newflasher from within this directory to flash the remaining files
      You can say yes to the first optional step, in case you dont have working drivers installed.
      Skip the second optional step (dumping of trim area), it's useless if your bootloader is unlocked already and takes a long time.

Google Apps

You can download and install the Google Apps from opengapps.org. You need ARM64 and 8.x. I suggest to *always* use the pico package. If you need additional apps you find them in the Play Store.

Privacy Guard for GApps

I wouldn't run GApps without Privcy Guard. Here is what you need to do:

Go to: Settings -> Security & location -> Privacy Guard

Open the advanced menu (3 dots) and select: Enable by default and Show built-in apps.

Search for Google Play Services and turn it on by tapping the entry. A long press will give additional options. There are more Google Apps you should turn it on and revoke permissions like the syncing stuff.

FDroid

This ROM comes with FDroid and the Privilege Extension pre-installed.

MicroG

Doesn't provide API level 27 builds yet ... will probably available in future with signature spoofing.

Simple Mobile Tools

This is a collection of really awesome Open Source and AD-free Apps! Don't get confused by the name! Especially the Calendar and Gallery app are really good! If you like his stuff, support him by buying the Simple Thanks app.

You can find them in FDroid and the Play Store.

Known Issues

Some apps don't work (Gardenscapes, Die Zeit, ...)

When an app is installed then it should ask for Permissions on the first startup. However for some apps this doesn't happen. To fix it you need to go to Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> See all apps -> Select the App -> Permissions. Now manually activate the required permission, normally the Storage Permission is missing in that case!
    So you have abandoned the ROM before it even got out of beta? This makes no sense whatsoever. Some people are not interested in using brand new Android version that's not matured yet... :/

a) This is a spare time project and my spare time is limited
    b) The source code is open source, fix the remaining issues.

I'm looking forward to your contributions.
    I have a new build with updated SDM stack and a completly new kernel from @derf elot however we've run into some issues with the new kernel and working on fixes. Once we have them we will provide a new build.