I use the Magisk image by Ivan, got no worries with it.I actually tried that and it has the same problem (reboot to recovery -> boot loop) but I stupidly assumed it's a beta bug and it would work on the more stable LOS 16, because it worked fine on LOS 14 on my old phone. In addition to that, I can't root LOS 17 and I need root to restore data from certain apps.
It's about the baseband version (or was it bootloader?). Have a look at the software information page in settings.
Install Q stock rom (BTA8) Flash TWRP Flash multi-disabler Format data; wipe cache, dalvik, system Flash LineageOS; Flash gapps Reboot
Nevermind... Post #505 should help : )
I am coming from LOS 16.
Helps me to re-write the instructions:
1. So, first I back up date, then flash Q stock using odin. How do I flash TWRP? Odin?
2. So, I am neither inserting TWRP recovery nor creating a patched_AP file anymore?
3. Once, I have TWRP and can boot into it... I should be good to go with flashing the remaining step... (not really a question, LOL)
4. Is root built into the ROM?
5. Going to try microg with aurora store. If I need to, can I later dirty flash rom on top and install gapps?
Look in the TWRP XDA thread of IanMacD. There you'll find v102, which is for Q. And then you should switch to the LOS-*17* thread, which is Q as well. LOS16 won't boot on a Q bootloader.
/* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */