• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] LineageOS 17.1/18.1 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2021-09-18)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
  • Signed with dev keys
  • EAS kernel
  • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
  • Seedvault (Video)
  • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
  • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work.

INSTALLATION

Put the zip file of the ROM on you sdcard or internal store and boot into recovery.
I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

KNOWN ISSUES
  • UnifiedNlp doesn't work with LineageOS 18.1 yet
  • Spell checking doesn't switch if you change keyboards
SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without any chance to actually test it myself.
If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire
Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Stable
Stable Release Date: 2021-07-20

Last edited:

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
CHANGELOG

2021-09-18

• September security patches
  • Include some more security patches from AOSP
  • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
  • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
  • Kernel 4.4.283
2021-08-11
  • August security patches
  • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
  • Kernel 4.4.279
2021-07-20
  • July security patches
  • Kernel 4.4.275
2021-07-03
  • June security patches
  • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
  • Updated APNs

Last edited:

aapok98

Aug 11, 2015
Thank you for keeping this rom up to date for this small but loyal userbase! A miracle come true for me cause I can't build roms on my own.

landsome

May 4, 2015
Thank you so much!! Can anyone report to me if flashing the new 18.1 directly over the previous version of 18.1 works?

I would test myself, but right now I cant afford to need to totally reset my phone if it doesn't work.
All I can say dirty flashing works well over the latest/previous 17.1 by Flamefire, which in turn works well over the latest modpunk (1.7). So it's worth a try.

More generally, although these ROMs are hardly as well tested as HavocOS, there are satisfied reports over on the original LOS17.1/18.1 thread.

landsome

May 4, 2015
Updated with the July security patches.
Note: AndroidFileHost was quite quirky today, so use the md5sum files to verify the integrity of the files
Thanks. Tried it for a couple of hours - dirty flashed over the 0702 version - and it works just as well so far.

I had one brief moment of panic: upon first boot the phone was stuck right on hitting the desktop for some 10 seconds (did not happen on the many previous dirty flashes); but then everything proceeded well.

Again, great work.

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
@Flamefire Regarding the information to TWRP: There is an official TWRP version (maintained by @modpunk & @derf elot ): https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html :)
Maybe you can update the information in your header.
Your suggestion would be valuable if you share your experience:
- encrypted partition mount and decryption compatibility with LineageOS 17.1/18.1
- partition backup / restore - single / batch - with / without password protection
- other version differential bug report

Last edited:

xenonism

Dec 20, 2010
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Ok, I was bored and I made a mess, I could use some help. :(

I was on the latest and last 17.1 by modpunk. I updated TWRP to the latest official one. I tried to flash the latest 18.1 by Flamefire (I had to disable zip signature verification. I know :censored:). Upon reboot it spends about a minute on the LOS animated logo then reboots to TWRP. I then downgraded TWRP to the latest by modpunk and flashed his latest 18.1 from January. This bootloops to recovery without ever reaching the LOS logo.

I know this is my fault. This said, what's my best chance (if any) not to have to wipe everything? I read in a post above that downgrading from 18.1 to 17.1 won't work, otherwise that would be my next idea.

Thanks in advance to anyone replying! :)

EDIT: Silly me. I had just forgotten to flash 11.0 gApps. All is well with the dirtiest flash ever. :p

Last edited:

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
@Flamefire

Im confused so u continue with updating the security patches every month correct ?
Im confused about the 18.1 u also only update it with securitypatches or also other stuf like making stable and fixing problems orwhatnot ?

Thank you for keeping our trusty xz1 compact alive a little longer.

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
It was not possible to boot LOS 17.1 with TWRP version from first post. (fresh flash, etc... ) However when using latest official twrp https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html everything works well.
Does it respond to volume up button presses and in special system restart recovery mode? Prompts for a pin/pattern during login and successfully mount and decrypt the partition? So far no one else has reported using it and so far we knew 17.1 / 18.1 requires a different version. Your experience will help us a lot please share as much experience as possible about the new twrp.

Last edited:
Does it respond to volume up button presses and in special system restart recovery mode? Prompts for a pin/pattern during login and successfully mount and decrypt the partition? So far no one else has reported using it and so far we knew 17.1 / 18.1 requires a different version. Your experience will help us a lot please share as much experience as possible about the new twrp.
i forgot to mention - i'm using lineage-17.1-20210702-UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zip build (not the latest ..20210720..)
TWRP version 3.5.2_9.0
Magisk 20.4 -> 23
Entering recovery works well, pwr+vol down, vol up after pwr, or when set in Developer submenu - advanced reboot. I have active pin and fingerprint. When entering recovery, twrp asks for password for user 0, using my pin works and twrp decrypts FBE. i can mount and read user data by File Manager in twrp.

Reactions: 7alvoo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In my 18.1 i see screen record,i see restart option and open camera work fine. I've tried both and prefer 18.1. With magisk,on 18.1,work perfect sony album and sony music,but not on 17.1!
    @Flamefire Can you explain why you changed our device's build description to make it look like a Google Pixel device?
    To pass safetynet.

And the other question: using clang 11, especially for the kernel
    What benefits do you see for 18.1 ?
    - no sony camera app
    - no screen record
    - no restart options
    - limited sharing options
    Just camera, in my case. It is enough. But I have a partly broken second xz1c for 18.1, just for testing, and battery is clearly better.
    Currently working on an attempt for a major performance improvement and Bugfix on the 17.1 issue (under the hood, found some potential security issues)
    :)
    LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
    I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work.

INSTALLATION

Put the zip file of the ROM on you sdcard or internal store and boot into recovery.
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
    TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
    Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

KNOWN ISSUES
    • UnifiedNlp doesn't work with LineageOS 18.1 yet
    • Spell checking doesn't switch if you change keyboards
    SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without any chance to actually test it myself.
    If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire
    Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
    Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-07-20
    CHANGELOG

2021-09-18

• September security patches
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    Updated with the July security patches.
    Note: AndroidFileHost was quite quirky today, so use the md5sum files to verify the integrity of the files
    "Major performance improvement" sounds great!

This would be for both 17.1 and 18.1, yes?

By the way, would it be worthwhile donating a device to allow you to develop and test both 17.1 and 18.1 simultaneously?
    No only 17.1. Basically building with the same compiler as 18.1 which has better optimizations (3 versions difference) and found a few bugs through that...

This is a kind offer but no. I don't really have time to do much dev on this. When building the 17.1 I use it myself and see that works. Then I provide this here for others to benefit too. The 18.1 is just a bonus as changes to 17.1 usually work on 18.1. But as mentioned I don't have time for dev or testing on something I don't use myself anyway :)
    Im confused so u continue with updating the security patches every month correct ?
    Im confused about the 18.1 u also only update it with securitypatches or also other stuf like making stable and fixing problems orwhatnot ?
    I'm using an XZ1C with 17.1 myself and am keeping that updated as much as possible. This includes security patches and kernel patches and updates. I also included some stuff I need for myself (e.g. the SafetyNet fix w/o Magisk to use GooglePay) But I'm not really doing any development, e.g. adding new features beyond that.
    What I do for 17.1 I also add to 18.1 but I have no way to test that myself as I only have that one device, hence the disclaimer at the top. Adding stuff or fixing bugs in 18.1 is hence to dangerous for you guys, as I won't know if that bricks your phones. So I really only add what I tested in 17.1 and assume to be fine in 18.1

TLDR: 99.9% security patches only. The ROM is already stable enough thanks to the original authors.