• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] LineageOS 17.1/18.1 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2021-09-18)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

petefoth

Which repos to use for Android R /e/ OS builds?

I have been making unofficial and custom Android Q /e/ OS builds for a while now. I started using the Whatawurst github repos, then moved to @Flamefire repos for more recent builds as there was more recent activity in the lineage-17.1 branch there.

I am about to start on the adventure of an Android R build, and I was wondering which repos to use for that. I have noticed a fair bit of recent activity in the whatawurst repos, some of which seems to be coming from Flamefire. Is the plan to pull (some, many, most, all) Flamefire's commits into the whatawurst repos, or are they likely to stay diverged?

Thanks for any ideas, and thanks for all the work on these LOS ROMs for lilac

Edited: the question relates to Android R builds, not Q

Last edited:

toejam119

I had to switch to 18.1 in order to get my banking app (Nordea Codes 1.12.0) to work (previous version 1.11.2 would work just fine). The app would just crash or stay open doing nothing with no way to interact with it. I did notice that removing Magisk and reinstalling the banking app would work, but I want my root. I did use MagiskHide and had safetynet working just fine, but the 1.12.0 version would just not work. For some reason LOS 18.1 + Magisk works fine with it.
Well, I noticed a feature missing that was in 17.1, it's in the notification light settings when you want to add applications and select colors for the blinking light for each app, the "+" button on top right is gone, so I cannot add applications to the list. I had to resort to 3rd party app called Light Manager 2, it's fine but it needs to have a notification icon on the status bar and I don't like it. I already have 1 other icon in there permanently (Call Blocker) and it took forever for me to get used to it. Anyway to get the button back?

Screenshot_20210918-121110_LineageOS_Settings arrow added.png

edit: the "+" appears when you select "Use custom values"

Last edited:

moofesr

Jan 30, 2014
London
Has anyone else faced issues where the phone shows the wrong date/time on startup?

On a fresh boot, the time is 9:58am on Saturday 18 September. It stays like this for approx 15 seconds until it finally updates to the current time (using network sync).

However, if I keep the phone on airplane mode, the time stays wrong until I disable airplane mode.

I'm wondering if this is a bug
  • with the most recent version of the ROM (I'll try with last month's version as well)
  • with the GApps package I'm using (I'm using the mini package which replaces stock clock with google clock)
I'll update this post if and when I have more information.

----
Update 1: Reflashed the September ROM with a smaller GApps package (micro instead of mini) and date/time issue still shows up. So GApps and the Google Clock isn't to blame. I'll try August ROM and see what happens.

Update 2: Flashed the August ROM and the datetime issue still persists.

Update 3: I'm attaching steps on how to reproduce this and I'd be really interested to see if anyone else is able to reproduce this:
  1. Make sure your phone's time is currently normal/correct
  2. Put phone into airplane mode
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Time should now be wrong on startup
  5. Disable airplane mode, time should now be updated once network connectivity is back

Last edited:

gavranpero

Feb 28, 2011
Banja Luka
After installing version 11, it is not possible to return to android 10. I installed stock firmware, tried to put 17.1, but the phone just restarts, freezes, etc. I tried various combinations all day, only 18.1 works. For what reason did it happen? Yes, I also changed the TWRP versions. Without success.

Last edited:

.kaputnik.

Jan 12, 2012
After installing version 11, it is not possible to return to android 10. I installed stock firmware, tried to put 17.1, but the phone just restarts, freezes, etc. I tried various combinations all day, only 18.1 works. For what reason did it happen? Yes, I also changed the TWRP versions. Without success.

Sure you really got rid of all traces of Android 11? Had some trouble doing the same operation, but finally succeeded the way described below. It assumes you've got ADB/Fastboot + drivers and Newflasher + flashmode drivers installed and working. Be warned I'm no expert in this field, there are probably better/simpler ways of doing it. You might want to wait for comments from more knowledgeable/experienced users than me before attempting this yourself.

- Do whatever backups etc you need.

- Turn off the phone, remove the SD card if you have one installed.

- Boot TWRP (assuming you have it installed).

- Wipe -> dalvik/art, system, cache, data, internal storage (this is probably redundant, but did it anyways).

- Wipe -> Format Data.

- Turn off the phone.

- Boot in Flash mode (hold Vol Down, plug in USB cable. The LED should light up green).

- Flash the latest stock rom, prepared for use with Newflasher (delete all .ta files from the archive, etc). There seems to be different opinions on deleting persist*.sin from the archive. I did, and it worked. You might want to read up further on this subject.

- Reboot phone to Fastboot mode (pull the USB cable, hold Vol Up, and plug the USB cable again. LED should light up blue).

- Flash TWRP for Android 10 (fastboot flash recovery <image name>)

- Boot TWRP.

- Advanced - ADB Sideload. Tick the checkboxes and swipe.

- Sideload the LOS rom (adb sideload <LOS zipfile>)

- Sideload OpenGapps if you want them (ARM64, 10.0, whatever variant you want) (adb sideload <OpenGapps zipfile>). You'll have to enable ADB sideloading in TWRP again before flashing.

- Reboot phone to Android. Hopefully it works now. Do whatever configuration you want. Restore backups. Install SD card again.

Last edited:
Reactions: gavranpero

gavranpero

Feb 28, 2011
Banja Luka
- Boot TWRP.

- Advanced - ADB Sideload. Tick the checkboxes and swipe.

- Sideload the LOS rom (adb sideload <LOS zipfile>)

- Sideload OpenGapps if you want them (ARM64, 10.0, whatever variant you want) (adb sideload <OpenGapps zipfile>). You'll have to enable ADB sideloading in TWRP again before flashing.

- Reboot phone to Android. Hopefully it works now. Do whatever configuration you want. Restore backups. Install SD card again.
I did everything except this step. I just did the wipe, then installed 17.1 LOS. I will do as you wrote, thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

holden69

Jun 3, 2020
Has anyone else faced issues where the phone shows the wrong date/time on startup?

On a fresh boot, the time is 9:58am on Saturday 18 September. It stays like this for approx 15 seconds until it finally updates to the current time (using network sync).

However, if I keep the phone on airplane mode, the time stays wrong until I disable airplane mode.

I'm wondering if this is a bug
  • with the most recent version of the ROM (I'll try with last month's version as well)
  • with the GApps package I'm using (I'm using the mini package which replaces stock clock with google clock)
I'll update this post if and when I have more information.

----
Update 1: Reflashed the September ROM with a smaller GApps package (micro instead of mini) and date/time issue still shows up. So GApps and the Google Clock isn't to blame. I'll try August ROM and see what happens.

Update 2: Flashed the August ROM and the datetime issue still persists.

Update 3: I'm attaching steps on how to reproduce this and I'd be really interested to see if anyone else is able to reproduce this:
  1. Make sure your phone's time is currently normal/correct
  2. Put phone into airplane mode
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Time should now be wrong on startup
  5. Disable airplane mode, time should now be updated once network connectivity is back
Same problem here,date and time is always the time from the first start after flashing, changes about one minute later when phone has fully booted.
GPS not working as well and my signal strenght is really bad since flashing newest 18.1, starting a call takes sometimes about 30s until it starts ringing and people don't understand me and I don't understand them.

I have to go back to modpunks 17.1 from december 2020, that one was working like a charm.
Hope I can downgrade without installing Stock again like @.kaputnik. wrote?

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
For me, 17.1 works like oiled lightning, operates for 2 to 3 days depending on use. The gps as in the blink of an eye 4g.

Big Thanks Flamefire!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Excellent! I'd be happy to test both Casting and Safetynet for the October version of 18.1 for you. Sounds like I may be re-flashing August anyway if I can't get this worked out, so its not like I'm risking much :p Shouldn't be a problem to dirty-flash a version with an earlier build date, right? I wouldn't think TWRP would care.

(Feel free to send me an email or DM with your beta version of October 18.1, if you don't want to release the untested verion publically yet @Flamefire and I'll test Safetynet immediately)
    I uploaded the new versions. If you could give the 18.1 a try and check if safetynet passes it would be great. If it does not send me the output of `adb shell getprop` and I'll rebuild with a fix as required.
    See https://androidfilehost.com/user/?w=settings-dev-files&flid=327069 for the download
    After updating to the September 18th version of 18.1 I've found that Chromecast no longer works on this device. The Cast device search works correctly but hangs upon actually trying to connect. Tried with an original release Chromecast and a Chromecast Ultra, and they both exhibit the same issue. It was working on the August 11th version of 18.1.

Can anyone reproduce this issue? Is Casting working for you on the September 18th version of 17.1 @Flamefire ? In any other situation, I would just downgrade, but my retinas are very grateful that the Sony logo is dimmed on the phone's startup now and I don't know if I can go back lol
    I don't have a chromecast to test and no idea where to start looking for the issue... Is there anything in the logcat that may hint at the issue? Maybe compare the output for the working and broken version to see if that turns up anything.

In any case I just built the October update for 17.1 which caused some trouble with getting CTS/Safetynet to pass. Trying the same on the 18.1 build now and will upload that later. Would need someone to test the 18.1 version anyway to check if safetynet passes there as well. And maybe the chromecast issue is also resolved there already. Could be something from Lineage upstream which they may have fixed there.
    @Flamefire , thanks for the September update. I dirty flashed yesterday - everything's working fine.

Cheers!
    Thanks very much for your help! To me there is an annoying issue with Gboard or swiftkey keyboard that there is a keyboard selection bar, when enabling gestures.

How do you remove the bar? It is really a waste of space for a small screen.

Thanks!
    @7alvoo thanks for the link. I tried to understand it with google translate. They seemed to solve the issue with the navigation bar? However I couldn't find the setting after check nearly every possible setting.
    LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
    I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work.

INSTALLATION

Put the zip file of the ROM on you sdcard or internal store and boot into recovery.
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
    TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
    Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

KNOWN ISSUES
    • UnifiedNlp doesn't work with LineageOS 18.1 yet
    • Spell checking doesn't switch if you change keyboards
    SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without any chance to actually test it myself.
    If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire
    Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
    Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-07-20
    CHANGELOG

2021-10-19

• October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    Updated with the July security patches.
    Note: AndroidFileHost was quite quirky today, so use the md5sum files to verify the integrity of the files
    "Major performance improvement" sounds great!

This would be for both 17.1 and 18.1, yes?

By the way, would it be worthwhile donating a device to allow you to develop and test both 17.1 and 18.1 simultaneously?
    No only 17.1. Basically building with the same compiler as 18.1 which has better optimizations (3 versions difference) and found a few bugs through that...

This is a kind offer but no. I don't really have time to do much dev on this. When building the 17.1 I use it myself and see that works. Then I provide this here for others to benefit too. The 18.1 is just a bonus as changes to 17.1 usually work on 18.1. But as mentioned I don't have time for dev or testing on something I don't use myself anyway :)
    Im confused so u continue with updating the security patches every month correct ?
    Im confused about the 18.1 u also only update it with securitypatches or also other stuf like making stable and fixing problems orwhatnot ?
    I'm using an XZ1C with 17.1 myself and am keeping that updated as much as possible. This includes security patches and kernel patches and updates. I also included some stuff I need for myself (e.g. the SafetyNet fix w/o Magisk to use GooglePay) But I'm not really doing any development, e.g. adding new features beyond that.
    What I do for 17.1 I also add to 18.1 but I have no way to test that myself as I only have that one device, hence the disclaimer at the top. Adding stuff or fixing bugs in 18.1 is hence to dangerous for you guys, as I won't know if that bricks your phones. So I really only add what I tested in 17.1 and assume to be fine in 18.1

TLDR: 99.9% security patches only. The ROM is already stable enough thanks to the original authors.