• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] LineageOS 17.1/18.1 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2021-09-18)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ygofoust

Oct 10, 2021
Thanks very much for your help! To me there is an annoying issue with Gboard or swiftkey keyboard that there is a keyboard selection bar, when enabling gestures.

How do you remove the bar? It is really a waste of space for a small screen.

Thanks!

Reactions: PhobiaSoft

ygofoust

Oct 10, 2021
@7alvoo thanks for the link. I tried to understand it with google translate. They seemed to solve the issue with the navigation bar? However I couldn't find the setting after check nearly every possible setting.

Reactions: mstrnemo

berti42

May 8, 2016
I flashed the September Version of 18.1 and it seems, that everything is working well. I wiped my old 17.1 system plus data, cache and DALVIK with the latest TWRP, so i did a clean install. I also installed gApps pico then for minimizing Google at my device. At the beginning the wifi connection was cut often. But now i couln't notice that. For mobile data i had to change the APN configuration for my german provider "Drillisch". Later i will check GPS and battery drain.

mstrnemo

Feb 1, 2021
Pictures under the + mark
/i don't think it's a very wise decision to use these apps mainly for password writing/
Very interested in this but i could not find that screen either
@7alvoo thanks for the link. I tried to understand it with google translate. They seemed to solve the issue with the navigation bar? However I couldn't find the setting after check nearly every possible setting.

I second this Any help would be appreciated

trax7

May 15, 2012

For people who want to use F2FS:​

0. (Optional) Backup your data and apps and install latest TWRP 3.5.2 from the TWRP official site.
1. Reboot to TWRP > Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Data > Repair or Change FIle System > Click F2FS

* CHANGING FILE SYSTEMS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA *

2. Reboot to recovery again
3. Mount /vendor (should be handled automatically, only if you get mount error when flashing)
4. Flash zip file in attachments after flashing the ROM. It should support encryption too.
5. Enjoy! :)

Note: There is no point to make F2FS for /cache! In fact, it gets reduced performance in real world use.

** Here is why you might want to switch to F2FS.
*** If someone is interested in kernel building, there are kernel patches that can be applied for better operation and performance.

Attachments

• FSTAB-EXT4_F2FS-encryptable_footer-LILAC.zip
    124 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

berti42

May 8, 2016
Now, i tested GPS with the app "Here we go" and everything is working fine. On the first try it didn't work because i didn't switch on the location-switch in settings:) I want to grant access to location service to only some selected apps and so i limited it in the location settings. Battery drain also seems to be as good as LOS 17.1

Last edited:
Reactions: 7alvoo

petefoth

But you wiped system which gets rid of the OS if I understood it correctly. After wiping system you need to again install stock rom + then install lineageos on top of that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
In my experience, it is not necessary to install stock ROM before moving from LineageOS 17 to 18. The latest Stock ROM was Android 9 / Pie. Why would you need to go back an Android version (from LOS 17 / Android 10 / Q to Android 9 / Pie) when moving to LOS 18 Android 11 / R?

I have swapped between 17 and 18 with no problems

Reactions: PhobiaSoft

toejam119

In my experience, it is not necessary to install stock ROM before moving from LineageOS 17 to 18. The latest Stock ROM was Android 9 / Pie. Why would you need to go back an Android version (from LOS 17 / Android 10 / Q to Android 9 / Pie) when moving to LOS 18 Android 11 / R?

I have swapped between 17 and 18 with no problems
When I installed 18.1 from 17.1 I didn't install stock rom in between, I just flashed 18.1 on top of 17.1, but I didn't wipe system in between, he wiped system which would remove his operating system completely, thus he's back to 0, thus now requiring some of the stock files again if he wants to install any LineageOS version. At least this was the order of installation with modpunk's version.

I quickly googled and found the following:
"Wiping system in TWRP erases your entire Android OS. Your device will no longer have an operating system. It will not wipe all of your user apps and data, as those are stored on the /userdata (Data) partition."

petefoth

When I installed 18.1 from 17.1 I didn't install stock rom in between, I just flashed 18.1 on top of 17.1, but I didn't wipe system in between, he wiped system which would remove his operating system completely, thus he's back to 0, thus now requiring some of the stock files again if he wants to install any LineageOS version. At least this was the order of installation with modpunk's version.

I quickly googled and found the following:
"Wiping system in TWRP erases your entire Android OS. Your device will no longer have an operating system. It will not wipe all of your user apps and data, as those are stored on the /userdata (Data) partition."
With official Lineage OS it is not necessary to install stock when installing 18.0 after wiping system.
I have just done the following on an Xperia Z3 (because I don't have my XZ1 Compact available for such experiments) but I am sure the same is true for this device.
  1. TWRP Wipe my existing system (an Android 10 / Q based /e/ OS ROM)
  2. TWRP Install `lineage-17.1-20210708-nightly-z3-signed.zip`
  3. Reboot system and complete first time setup wizard
  4. Power off
  5. Reboot to TWRP
  6. TWRP Wipe | Advanced | System
  7. TWRP Install `lineage-18.1-20210805-nightly-z3-signed.zip`
  8. TWRP Wipe Cache / Dalvik
  9. Reboot system and complete first time setup wizard
So, I do not believe it is necessary to install Stock ROM when installing 18.0 after wiping system.

But I'm always pleased to be proved wrong, so I'm willing to learn from your experience if following this sequence does not work for you.

Last edited:

mugenXperia

Oct 14, 2021
Hi,

thanks for the rom. I really like to upgrade my XCompact to a more recent version. However, as it is a japanese model, I would like to try to make some changes in the kernel (NFC). I follow the instruction given from the source you gave in the post, but did not succeed. Would it be possible for your to share your build tools or which other magic sauce you may have.

Thanks

petefoth

Why this step? You wiped away LineageOS 17.1 you just installed.
Yes, because we were discussing whether or not it is necessary to flash a Stock ROM before flashing LOS 18.1. You suggested it would be necessary because @berti42 had wiped his system.

he wiped system which would remove his operating system completely, thus he's back to 0, thus now requiring some of the stock files again if he wants to install any LineageOS version.

I do not believe that to be the case, so I followed this process to check whether or not it was true. What I found out is that there is no need to flash a stock ROM when moving from 17.1 to 181 whether or not you have wiped the system. If I had not wiped the system, the experiment would not have proved anything.

In normal circumstances, I would never wipe the system when installing, because I believe that the old system is wiped as part of the install, so wiping would be a waste of time, effort and processing cycles. This thread is starting to become the same, so I will stop :)

PhobiaSoft

Aug 6, 2015
www.youtube.com
After updating to the September 18th version of 18.1 I've found that Chromecast no longer works on this device. The Cast device search works correctly but hangs upon actually trying to connect. Tried with an original release Chromecast and a Chromecast Ultra, and they both exhibit the same issue. It was working on the August 11th version of 18.1.

Can anyone reproduce this issue? Is Casting working for you on the September 18th version of 17.1 @Flamefire ? In any other situation, I would just downgrade, but my retinas are very grateful that the Sony logo is dimmed on the phone's startup now and I don't know if I can go back lol

EDIT: Reflashing the September 18th version of 18.1 fixed the issue, so it was likely a TWRP error of some kind that caused my problem, and not anything wrong with this version of the ROM. All is well now :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Thank you for the answer but for me both patch levels are at 1 September 2019 as you can see in the screenshot. Or am I looking at the wrong place in settings? Does it say something else in your devices settings?
    You have modified the fingerprint with MagiskHidePropsConf. It wrote back the wrong date.
    Excellent! I'd be happy to test both Casting and Safetynet for the October version of 18.1 for you. Sounds like I may be re-flashing August anyway if I can't get this worked out, so its not like I'm risking much :p Shouldn't be a problem to dirty-flash a version with an earlier build date, right? I wouldn't think TWRP would care.

(Feel free to send me an email or DM with your beta version of October 18.1, if you don't want to release the untested verion publically yet @Flamefire and I'll test Safetynet immediately)
    I uploaded the new versions. If you could give the 18.1 a try and check if safetynet passes it would be great. If it does not send me the output of `adb shell getprop` and I'll rebuild with a fix as required.
    See https://androidfilehost.com/user/?w=settings-dev-files&flid=327069 for the download
    Thank you for the answer but for me both patch levels are at 1 September 2019 as you can see in the screenshot. Or am I looking at the wrong place in settings? Does it say something else in your devices settings?
    You have modified the fingerprint with MagiskHidePropsConf. It wrote back the wrong date.
    After updating to the September 18th version of 18.1 I've found that Chromecast no longer works on this device. The Cast device search works correctly but hangs upon actually trying to connect. Tried with an original release Chromecast and a Chromecast Ultra, and they both exhibit the same issue. It was working on the August 11th version of 18.1.

Can anyone reproduce this issue? Is Casting working for you on the September 18th version of 17.1 @Flamefire ? In any other situation, I would just downgrade, but my retinas are very grateful that the Sony logo is dimmed on the phone's startup now and I don't know if I can go back lol
    I don't have a chromecast to test and no idea where to start looking for the issue... Is there anything in the logcat that may hint at the issue? Maybe compare the output for the working and broken version to see if that turns up anything.

In any case I just built the October update for 17.1 which caused some trouble with getting CTS/Safetynet to pass. Trying the same on the 18.1 build now and will upload that later. Would need someone to test the 18.1 version anyway to check if safetynet passes there as well. And maybe the chromecast issue is also resolved there already. Could be something from Lineage upstream which they may have fixed there.
    Thanks very much for your help! To me there is an annoying issue with Gboard or swiftkey keyboard that there is a keyboard selection bar, when enabling gestures.

How do you remove the bar? It is really a waste of space for a small screen.

Thanks!
    LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
    I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work.

INSTALLATION

Put the zip file of the ROM on you sdcard or internal store and boot into recovery.
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
    TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
    Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

KNOWN ISSUES
    • UnifiedNlp doesn't work with LineageOS 18.1 yet
    • Spell checking doesn't switch if you change keyboards
    SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without any chance to actually test it myself.
    If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire
    Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
    Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-07-20
    CHANGELOG

2021-10-19

• October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    Updated with the July security patches.
    Note: AndroidFileHost was quite quirky today, so use the md5sum files to verify the integrity of the files
    "Major performance improvement" sounds great!

This would be for both 17.1 and 18.1, yes?

By the way, would it be worthwhile donating a device to allow you to develop and test both 17.1 and 18.1 simultaneously?
    No only 17.1. Basically building with the same compiler as 18.1 which has better optimizations (3 versions difference) and found a few bugs through that...

This is a kind offer but no. I don't really have time to do much dev on this. When building the 17.1 I use it myself and see that works. Then I provide this here for others to benefit too. The 18.1 is just a bonus as changes to 17.1 usually work on 18.1. But as mentioned I don't have time for dev or testing on something I don't use myself anyway :)
    Im confused so u continue with updating the security patches every month correct ?
    Im confused about the 18.1 u also only update it with securitypatches or also other stuf like making stable and fixing problems orwhatnot ?
    I'm using an XZ1C with 17.1 myself and am keeping that updated as much as possible. This includes security patches and kernel patches and updates. I also included some stuff I need for myself (e.g. the SafetyNet fix w/o Magisk to use GooglePay) But I'm not really doing any development, e.g. adding new features beyond that.
    What I do for 17.1 I also add to 18.1 but I have no way to test that myself as I only have that one device, hence the disclaimer at the top. Adding stuff or fixing bugs in 18.1 is hence to dangerous for you guys, as I won't know if that bricks your phones. So I really only add what I tested in 17.1 and assume to be fine in 18.1

TLDR: 99.9% security patches only. The ROM is already stable enough thanks to the original authors.