[ROM] LineageOS 17/18/19 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2024-02-18)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

.kaputnik.

Jan 12, 2012
I did everything except this step. I just did the wipe, then installed 17.1 LOS. I will do as you wrote, thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Hmm that's odd, shouldn't matter if you install LOS from local storage or sideload it. The only reason I do is that some old version refused to install correctly when doing it locally, sideloading it through ADB was the only way I got it to work. Just kept doing it that way since, out of habit more than anything else.

Might misunderstand what you try to convey though? Also, guess it won't hurt to give it a try :)

Same problem here,date and time is always the time from the first start after flashing, changes about one minute later when phone has fully booted.
GPS not working as well and my signal strenght is really bad since flashing newest 18.1, starting a call takes sometimes about 30s until it starts ringing and people don't understand me and I don't understand them.

I have to go back to modpunks 17.1 from december 2020, that one was working like a charm.
Hope I can downgrade without installing Stock again like @.kaputnik. wrote?

Well, the way I did it does involve reinstalling stock. You completely wipe the phone (I believe at least, as mentioned I'm no expert), install stock, and then LOS + Gapps on top of that. You never boot stock though, if that's relevant.

Last edited:

pipilores

Nov 22, 2020
@Flamefire , herzlichen Dank für diese Arbeit. Habe einige Wochen mit Havoc und Pixel Experience herumprobiert. Jedoch immer Probleme mit schwachem GPS gehabt. In Ihrem 17.1 funktioniert bei mir alles wunderbar.

betacrypt

Jan 17, 2018
Just updated my device from crDroid, which was discontinued in June to the latest LoS 17.1 build here. Works great so far with microg. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Zelmor

Oct 29, 2019
17.1 2021.09.18 with Rev0lut - OK!
Thanks for the info, I've installed the ROM but ran into an issue i've never experienced before. I am unable to download files. Trying to get Fdroid via the LOS browser, browser crashes. Flashed opengapps and tried downloading things, error messages popped up in the notification bar about lack of storage. Do you have any idea what is happening here?

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the info, I've installed the ROM but ran into an issue i've never experienced before. I am unable to download files. Trying to get Fdroid via the LOS browser, browser crashes. Flashed opengapps and tried downloading things, error messages popped up in the notification bar about lack of storage. Do you have any idea what is happening here?
I'm never use los browser but maybe storage access required, APKCombo or Aurora Store if You don't like playstore.

toejam119

It didn't work with my Dutch bank's application for touch to pay last time I tried about half a year ago.
I had LOS 17.1 (tried both 20210720 and 20210811) and the newest Nordea bank's Codes app stopped working after an app update. I only got it working when I disabled all super user rights from Magisk 23 and restarted the phone, but I want my root. Then I installed 18.1 and the app works fine with Magisk 23 with super user rights enabled. Google Pay works fine. Also you don't need any additional fingerprints to have the SafetyNet to pass. On Modpunk's version I had to install the stock lilac Android 9 fingerprint.

Zelmor

Oct 29, 2019
I'm never use los browser but maybe storage access required, APKCombo or Aurora Store if You don't like playstore.
It's not about the store. Play also doesn't have access to storage for some reason, even though privileges are set correctly. Out of the box, I cannot install anything on the phone.

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
It's not about the store. Play also doesn't have access to storage for some reason, even though privileges are set correctly. Out of the box, I cannot install anything on the phone.
Format the partition to ext2 in twrp and back to ext4 to fix the file system error.

Zelmor

Oct 29, 2019
Format the partition to ext2 in twrp and back to ext4 to fix the file system error.
Thanks, that helped.
I had LOS 17.1 (tried both 20210720 and 20210811) and the newest Nordea bank's Codes app stopped working after an app update. I only got it working when I disabled all super user rights from Magisk 23 and restarted the phone, but I want my root. Then I installed 18.1 and the app works fine with Magisk 23 with super user rights enabled. Google Pay works fine. Also you don't need any additional fingerprints to have the SafetyNet to pass. On Modpunk's version I had to install the stock lilac Android 9 fingerprint.
SafetyNet fails out of the box, what did you do to it to work?

toejam119

Thanks, that helped.

SafetyNet fails out of the box, what did you do to it to work?
SafetyNet should work out of the box, see Flamefire's feature comment on 1st page:
Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks @Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
When I installed 18.1 I did the following:
//before installing LOS 18.1 I installed the stock rom via newflasher, completed the initial stock OS setup
1. Flashed the rom (lineage-18.1-20210811-UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zip)
2. Flashed OpenGAPPS (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210917.zip)
3. Flashed Magisk 23 (Magisk-v23.0.zip)
//all of the above I flashed (in twrp-3.5.0-0-20210117-lilac.img) without booting to system in between
4. Booted to system
5. Completed the initial OS setup
6. Went to Magisk 23 settings and enabled MagiskHide with default settings (which seems to hide some parts from Google Play services).
7. It passes SafetyNet fine, both marks (basicIntegrity and ctsProfile) are ok/blue.

But SafetyNet should work without root/Magisk as Flamefire also confirmed in this post in this thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. I made 2 test builds using an older kernel (2 different versions) and am uploading them to GDrive into a separate folder. I'll test that they work and can be used without data loss from earlier builds likely on Tuesday. If you feel really adventurous you can try them out right away, but be sure to backup your data as I don't have my test phone back until Tuesday so I couldn't test (or even flash) it yet. Both versions (TEST1, TEST2) are based on February Android sources, so they have the latest ASB patches. Just an older kernel (from December plain and the other with some patches but without the major changes from January), so would be good to know if either or both show the good behavior or are lacking too.
    Again I'll test that on Tuesday if nothing goes wrong but I expect that both can be flashed over any earlier (non-MicroG) build and over each other.
    & @Pierre_FR

You cannot switch to a previous version (either earlier date and/or e.g. from 18 to 17) without formatting data. This is an Android mechanism intended for security as desribed above.

However you can restore your data partition after formatting data and downgrading. However this might need a reboot before the restore (which recreates the encryption stuff) and some stuff might not work with earlier/later data (imagine apps storing additional data which then fails to be read by the earlier app version)

Just to be clear: TWRP is able to work with an encrypted /data which is why updates work at all. After TWRP is started (and you entered your PIN/Pattern) the data "appears unencrypted" and hence the backup has none of that encryption. So restoring works in general the same way. But first you need to remove the encryption (stored in the filesystem, not the files of /data) by formatting and potentially let Android boot once (in the version you are going to use later) as TWRP does not recreate the filesystem after formatting.

I'll do so, just tell me when it's ready to test. But my question about restoring data remains (although pretty much all came back through google one backup): when I backup data from a newer version, can I just restore that to an older version? TWRP zips all files on a partition of I'm not mistakem, so what would have changed after that restore that would make it work?
    Or should I completely reformat data from TWRP, have Android reencrypt things and then go back and restore data?
    I quoted my earlier reply above where I answered the question.
    So your last sentence is correct.

@7alvoo awesome thanks. So the Roms work and can be tested. Give them a try for a couple days as android can performance changes after upgrades, cache format and charge cycles (android optimizes apps when fully charged and still on power, based on previous usage)

As for safetynet: I'll have a look and see what I can do
    Hi everyone, is there a possibility with the next release to have gpay working again? I tried with magisk but nothing to do. the device is certified in the PlayStore, but when I try to associate the payment card with the wallet app, the message I get is that it is not possible to continue because the phone is not secure. until December/January it worked well without even needing to use magisk....
    This is unrelated to the builds, but a huge wave of Bans of devices (actually fingerprints) from Google. So I assume even the stock ROM won't be usable anymore. Previously I implemented a Play Integrity spoofer into the ROM itself which made it work so far.
    I have a workaround ready which at least passes PlayIntegrityChecker, so hopefully also the Wallet check. But it is also possible that no custom ROM will work anymore... E.g. I had an app detecting "an insecure device" even though even Google Wallet was still working so the spoofing was in effect but not enough.

Another question:
    Is there anyone where IMS is not working although it should be supported by the carrier? If so on which version of this ROM are you on? I could provide a test version attempting to workaround that issue.
    I've seen that, IIRC someone posted a link to that earlier or at least one that led to that. I'm using this solution but again have modified in a way that it will be integrated into the ROM with the next release (testing in progress right now), such that Magisk is not required. I've spent some time to make it flexible enough such that it will work as long as possible without rebuilds as I'll switch to LOS 20+ after this last release since there won't be any security updates (reasonably) possible.
    Issue is present on 17.1 and 18.1, based on my tests and reports. The user above is talking about 18.1.
    On my device, on 17.1, the Wake and Unlock option is not even present in Xperia Parts (might be I applied the patch incorrectly on my ROM).

If you decide against temporarly disabling the modification, my next suggestion would be to set the default to the known working behavior: Wake and Unlock disabled in XperiaParts.

EDIT 2: On my end, no MicroG present.
    I just tested 17.1 and 18.1 non-MicroG on 2 devices and either option seems to works fine. With the option enabled the behavior is as expected:
    - Lock phone by pressing the power button -> Display turns off
    - Touch (not press) the power button with registered finger -> Display turns on and phone unlocks

However I've seen the issue randomly pop up. Sometimes waiting a minute after locking the phone won't turn the FP sensor back on until the phone is unlocked via pattern/PIN. Strange...
    Note that the setting is not in XperiaParts but in regular android settings Security->Gear icon next to "screen lock".
    The behavior including defaulting to ON is from LOS upstream. I might change that though for 17/18 where I backported it.
    Side 'request' on that, a few weeks ago I completely installed Test1 and Test2 (18.1) from scratch. It seems be default IMS is enabled, but it's not supported by my carrier. Because of that (I think) the radio reset after trying for a while, also disconnecting WiFi. It comes back, only to get reset after half a minute again. This made it a real PITA to restore my Google backup during the initial setup, took several tries to actually login and a really long time to have it download the apps and settings restored from backup, because of the constant WiFi disconnects. And as far as I know you can only do that after a factory reset, ie. I can't disable the setting yet, and when I can I can't do the restore anymore.
    So... if a carrier DOES support IMS but it's disabled in settings, will that work for those users or will it also keep resetting for them then? If not, would it be feasible to disable that by default so the initial setup can be done properly?

Another sidenote, test2 DOES slow down my phone after about a week, I've had twice that in the morning it was so slow I had to reboot. Not an issue if it's once about a week, but still wanted to report.
    Very strange indeed. Then yes, disabling IMS by default might be the safe call here. As a workaround you could remove the SIM for the initial setup.
    I'll try to avoid the performance issue for this final build. But can't be sure as I don't know what might be causing it and testing something that appears after a week is unfeasible.
    @Rataplan626 @rez78
    Just to get this correct: the December build is fine but you are having trouble with the January&February builds? And this is on los18 non-microg (I.e. Zip named "UNOFFICIAL")?
    Might be the kernel then with some incompatibility by merging the LOS common kernel. That would be sad as it was a lot of work... I can create test builds of the new version with older kernel to try if that solves it.
    I don't see that on 17 though, so I can't really test it
    Since the January version, my callers hear themselves twice. Sometimes only at the beginning. Sometimes the whole call. February update the same.
    I also have increased battery consumption.

I switched back to the November update 3 days ago.
    Everything is fine. My callers no longer hear each other twice. My battery life is very good.

I bought you 3 coffees!
    I strongly suggest the December build due to the severe Bluetooth security issue. Which exact version are you on? 18.1? MicroG?
    Thanks BTW! :)
    My Google Wallet / NFC pay also became disfunctional since a few days (unrelated to updating to @Flamefire February Firmware)
    Yep that seems to be an update from Google. I have it too on 17. However it also looks like there is an issue with the integrated spoofing feature I made. Not sure if that really is the issue (or if it even is an issue) but I'll check
    LineageOS 17/18/19 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

It is based on the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ with recent security updates, some backported from newer versions.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18+)

DOWNLOAD
    You can download the latest release here. (Backup download when AFH isn't uploading)
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    Make sure you download the right version, vanilla LineageOS is named lineage-*UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zip while the MicroG version is named lineage-*-MICROG--lilac.zip

REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only use the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1/19.1 are build from mostly the same sources and roughly tested, i.e. boots, WiFi works and SN passes/MicroG self check shows OK.

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:
    Magisk seems to cause issues (bootloops) on update, so remove it first and reinstall if required. Note that Magisk is usually not required unless you want root.
    1. Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card or internal store and boot into recovery.
    2. When coming from stock ROM, do a full wipe (i.e. factory reset) via "Wipe". You don't need to wipe system. When flashing the stock ROM you can select to not keep user data which is equivalent to this step.
    3. Go to "Install", select the zip file and add optionally the gapps zip. Then flash it.
    4. After updates you may now wipe cache&dalvik (option after install)
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk / derf elot
    Or use the latest TWRP for 17.1/18.1 or TWRP for 19.1.
    3.7.0 Seems to work well with latest updates (decryption working) but LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12) requires the ones with "_12" suffix, e.g. 3.6.2_12.

For ease of use I suggest to flash this recovery (only required once):
    1. Boot in Fastboot mode: Hold "Volume Up" while connecting the USB cable to phone and PC
    2. Flash TWRP by running this on the PC: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1.img
      (adjust the filename if necessary)
    3. From now you can boot TWRP by turning on the phone with "Volume Down" + Power
    I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

Upgrades between versions​

Dirty-flashing (e.g. from 17.1 to 18.1) works well but you have to also flash a GApps version matching the Android version or the device will bootloop.
    For the upgrade to 19.1 you may need to fully remove OpenGapps by wiping /system and install e.g. MindTheGapps.

SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try too and build the Lineage 18/19 ROMs without much testing.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire, linckandrea
    Source Code: Device tree: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac
    Kernel: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_kernel_sony_msm8998

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.

Special thanks to landsome for donating a test phone for bug hunting and development.

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11/12
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS
    GApps: None included, except for the MICROG builds. Recommended is OpenGApps for 17/18 and MindTheGapps for 19.
    CHANGELOG

2024-02-18

• Feburary security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st49)
    2024-01-20
    • January security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st48 & LOS common kernel merge)
    2023-12-24
    • December security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st47 & additional security fixes)
    • Fix for critical Bluetooth vulnerability (CVE-2023-45866)
    2023-11-11
    • November security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st46 & additional security fixes)
    • Updates to the kernel scheduler backported from LOS 20 common kernel
    • Fix for CVE-2023-5217
    2023-10-15
    • October security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st45 & additional security fixes)
    • Fix for CVE-2023-4863 (actively exploited!)
    2023-09-16
    • September security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st44)
    2023-08-25
    • August security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st43)
    • Increased headset volume
    • Add Sony camera app to 18 & 19 (files copied from xperiance)
    2023-07-26
    • July security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st42)
    2023-06-16
    • June security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st41)
    • Fix noise when calling with a headset
    • Configurable fingerprint sensor when screen is off (Settings->Lockscreen)
    2023-05-19
    • Fix Play Integrity checks --> Google Wallet works
    • Minor improvements that were missed earlier
    • May security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st40)
    2023-04-30
    • April security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st39)
    2023-03-31
    • March security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st38)
    • Fix possible camera issues on 18.1
    2023-02-25
    • February security patches
    • Kernel updates (e.g. CIP tag -st37, also add some missing patches to 19.1 kernel)
    • Use newer compiler (Clang 12.0.7) for kernel, possibly improving performance/battery life
    • Add "Re-apply Modem" setting to XperiaParts to help with connection/modem-crash issues
    • Clear some space on /system & /vendor partitions by removing files no longer needed
    • Fix Android Auto connection
    2023-01-20
    • January security patches
    • Kernel updates
    • MicroG builds added (build date 31st Jan, but same sources)
    2022-12-27
    • December security patches
    • AGPS fix (using Google servers)
    • Kernel updates (e.g. Wireguard v1.0.20220627, improved security against stack attacks)
    2022-11-15
    • November security patches
    • WLAN driver update
    • Huge APN update
    2022-10-13
    • October security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN for DIGI HU
    • Option to switch temporarily to 2G on boot
    2022-09-29
    • September security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN update
    2022-08-12
    • August security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st20)
    2022-07-25/28
    • July security patches
    • Kernel update
    2022-06-30
    • June security patches
    • Kernel update
    • Backport fix for CVE-2021-39686
    • Workaround fixing bootloop with recent OpenGapps (20220503 tested)
    2022-05-16
    • May security patches
    • Fix mic volume issue with wired headsets
    • Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop
    2022-05-03
    • April security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st5-tag)
    • Removed LineageOS updater (unused application here)
    • Added Sony identification packages (Compatibility for some Sony apps from other sources)
    2022-03-20
    • March security patches
    • Updated some carrier configs (mostly Indian&Chinese) for IMS (VoLTE...)
    • Better support for flip covers
    • Allow disabling battery optimizations for the SMS app
    2022-02-20
    • February security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.302 (final LTS kernel)
    • Re-enable VoLTE toggle switch (there were reports of modem crashes when VoLTE is disabled, can't reproduce this, hence added the setting back)
    2022-01-23
    • January security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.299
    • Wireguard v1.0.20211208
    • Enhanced display brightness range
    • Experimental Ultra-Dim mode
    2021-12-19
    • December security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.295
    • QCom driver updates
    • Fix some permission issues
    • Reset phone ID to XZ1C
    2021-11-29
    • November security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.291
    • Fix IMS on 17.1
    • Fix/enhance Wifi-Display
    • Fix some power hints
    • Update APNs
    2021-10-19
    • October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    I'm happy to announce the June update. Took a lot more work as I backported quite a bit to our kernel to fix CVE-2021-39686 although I'm not sure we were ever really affected by that. Anyway the backport fixes that hole and a few potential others making the device a bit safer!
    April updates are out, enjoy! Again I had to backport every security patch from 18.1 to 17.1 so it really seems to be dying...
    I might switch to building LOS 20 though as derfelot doesn't seem to be providing updates anymore. And especially the battery charge/protection service that might be coming there looks promising...

Could you provide LineageOS recovery for this device?

Sorry no. I'd need to research how to create that recovery and maintaining 3/6 different ROM versions is already enough work especially with the hugely increased time/effort to keep LOS 17, so I can't afford to do even more.
    @MarkMRL Update 20220516 is out which should also fix the headset issue. Reproduced, found and fixed it as far as I can tell.