[ROM] LineageOS 17.1/18.1 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2022-05-05)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Rataplan626

Feb 7, 2006
How about the audio feedback when calling with a wired headset? Try it (without wearing the headset as the noise may be really loud).

Anyway, in the meantime, I flashed the latest build of 17.1 on my phone, then flashed the boot img from the previous release on the newer one like Banana said, but phone gets stuck on the Sony logo. Reflashed the newer boot img and it worked again. I'm keeping my phone on 17.1 for now, if you need any help in testing let me know.
Tested with two wires headphones and indeed the gain of the mic seems 10x too high. I used to use my headphones a lot, will try to preserve my eardrums with this release ;-) I searched the developer options if there is an option for mic gain but didn't find it.
Rather serious bug as it can physically hurt people's ears.

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
I went back to the previous version with a full factory reset because I needed to use my wired headset. I recommend everyone to not install the latest one because it has this bug with wired headsets. If you only use a bt headset you can go ahead and install the latest one, the bug only affects wired headsets and wired headphones (and like someone else said, if you wear wired headphones beware because the noise if you create an audio feedback loop unbelievably loud). Hopefully it can get fixed at some point, I'll check back from time to time to see if a fix has been found.

Anyway I'm still very grateful to the dev for keeping this device alive, I'll drop a small donation for sure at some point :whistle:.

rez78

Nov 16, 2017
Latest release don't let me use the micro SD storage when i take a photo. Any solution? Thanks

Last edited:

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
The headphone problem is real in 220503 17.1 I'm try to change back the 22.03 kernel but won't boot with the earlier kernel. Otherwise the 220503 release works very well in other respects and is lightning fast.

Last edited:

pomes

May 12, 2022
no problem with headphones on fresh install (no update) with lineage-18.1-20220503-UNOFFICIAL-lilac[1].zip

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
no problem with headphones on fresh install (no update) with lineage-18.1-20220503-UNOFFICIAL-lilac[1].zip
Really now? I tried it on both and during calls i had the echo and feedback on both. Can you test it during a call and report back?
But be careful because the feedback loop may be dangerously loud.

Anyway, right now I'm on 17.1, previous build, and the phone works so damn well, it's amazing. I am really grateful to the developer.

pomes

May 12, 2022
Really now? I tried it on both and during calls i had the echo and feedback on both. Can you test it during a call and report back?
But be careful because the feedback loop may be dangerously loud.

Anyway, right now I'm on 17.1, previous build, and the phone works so damn well, it's amazing. I am really grateful to the developer.
ok, now i tested it within a call and, yes, during the phone app is on (already by dialing), i can hear outside noise very loud. it sound like the microphone is very loud.

previoulse used only to hear music, there was no problem.

xzbonzaiducky

May 17, 2022
It's been asked/mentioned before but this wasn't very clear to me. While I'm still on stock, is it worth backing up the DRM keys? I intend to install the 17.1 branch. Is the drmfix stuff integrated?

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
It's been asked/mentioned before but this wasn't very clear to me. While I'm still on stock, is it worth backing up the DRM keys? I intend to install the 17.1 branch. Is the drmfix stuff integrated?
Here the solution or maybe the newflasher save the ta partition in locked position, try before unlock - the bl not reclosable if You plan to switch back the stock rom the real solution the 'hideunlockkernel' . The real important: never flash any *.ta files and the persist.sin file. Before unlock or flash any rom reset the device / delete any googole account connection / finger print / pin / pattern security option.

Last edited:

xzbonzaiducky

May 17, 2022
The how isn’t what I am asking. Is it necessary or worthwhile? Does it have an impact on functionality (trusted store) or image quality?

f000bar

May 4, 2021
There's no simple answer.
Do you want to ever return to stock? Do you want to have better increased future flexibility? Would you like to preserve something rather than losing it?
For me, those answers are "yes" - especially the last couple so I went through the process. It's not hard, and doesn't take too long, so seemed better to do it just in case. There's little downside.
If you feel differently, then you don't necessarily have to.

I think the lineage branches have the drmfix built in, but don't run them right now, and mine would work anyway. if not you could apply the patch.

So... necessary (for lineage)? likely not.
Worthwhile? I thought so, but opinions may vary.

antoniu200

Oct 3, 2016
Zalău
@MaRtYy01 As for the driver: Yes it seems we have one with OpenGL [email protected] from 2018. I found some v9a binary blobs directly from Sony (for their open-source efforts) with [email protected] from Sept. 2019. Not sure if a newer driver is worth risking issues. I mean: What could be gained by that? But I may try that for the May builds if I got time.

Quite some performance could be gained, if you manage to implement it. I mean, take a look at Geekbench scores for newer flagships, they have twice the CPU and/or GPU power compared to our beloved lilac, but yet have so much more in the Vulkan and OpenGL score. Basically, we would gain gaming performance and get some bug fixes (I remember this phone had some issues with certain games back on Android 8.0.0 - A9 was one of them - where the left side of the screen would bug out and display pink, red, green, blue pixels for a split second).

P.S.: Has anyone here ever succeed in a battery replacement? I see so much more support for this device than any other previous Compact Xperia phone, so I would imagine someone here has a success story. If you do, please DM me here on XDA and share it in a few words.

gladykov

Jul 12, 2010
I see: Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop. Does it mean OpenGapps after 15 of February?

I was thinking of switching to Flamegapps. Is it enough to flash Lineage without wiping data, and then flashing Flamegapps ?

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
I see: Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop. Does it mean OpenGapps after 15 of February?

I was thinking of switching to Flamegapps. Is it enough to flash Lineage without wiping data, and then flashing Flamegapps ?
The fault OpenGapps version already removed I switched to NikGapps and I did not regret it.

Top Liked Posts

With the latest 1.8 version I get verry often a restart, when I enable mobile data. This regression was not in the former versions - I had them all ;-)
    I guess you refer to LineageOS 18.1 not 1.8 (i.e. Android 11)?
    If you want to help: Is this kinda reproducible? I.e. what do you do when that happens? Enable mobile data in settings (or QS tile) and it restarts? If so do the following after installing the platform tools (i.e. ADB) on the computer and enabling developer options on the phone:

- Disable mobile data
    - Connect to PC
    - Run "adb logcat -c && adb logcat -b all" in a shell on the PC
    - Quickly enable mobile data (the above will start spitting out uninteresting stuff too)
    - When the device restarts the logcat should stop (if not: CTRL+C to abort)
    - Save the output from before the restart to a text file and attach here

Hopefully there will be an error message allowing me to find your issue as I don't have it...
    What I did to test is simple make a backup of only data, restore it right away, and it wouldn't work anymore. System and vendor wouldn't have changed anyway, and the locking / passwords were 100% the same (I have the same for 12 years on my phone...). I think it might or could work if you change from one rom to the other, but if the rom and version remains the same, and you have no root, system and vendor shouldn't have changed in the first place I guess?
    This may be old news but I have discovered a workaround for the problem in the 18.1 build where restoring a backup kills the device. If you remove all screen locks (PIN, pattern, password) before making a backup, it is possible to restore the backed up data. After restoring, you will then to force stop Trebuchet and clear its data, and evrything should be back to normal. More details in this post in the /e/OS community forums
    With the latest 1.8 version I get verry often a restart, when I enable mobile data. This regression was not in the former versions - I had them all ;-)
    I guess you refer to LineageOS 18.1 not 1.8 (i.e. Android 11)?
    If you want to help: Is this kinda reproducible? I.e. what do you do when that happens? Enable mobile data in settings (or QS tile) and it restarts? If so do the following after installing the platform tools (i.e. ADB) on the computer and enabling developer options on the phone:

- Disable mobile data
    - Connect to PC
    - Run "adb logcat -c && adb logcat -b all" in a shell on the PC
    - Quickly enable mobile data (the above will start spitting out uninteresting stuff too)
    - When the device restarts the logcat should stop (if not: CTRL+C to abort)
    - Save the output from before the restart to a text file and attach here

Hopefully there will be an error message allowing me to find your issue as I don't have it...
    @Flamefire Have you tried the 19.1 rom? What do you think about it?
    Haven't tried it. And it is maintained by derf elot, the original maintainer of the 17.1/18.1 ROMs. So should be good. I won't include it in my builds (yet) as I feel it won't be fair to derf elot who likely invested a serious amount of time to get the kernel binary blobs ready for LOS 19. So I'll leave that for a bit.
    Further, I didn't reflash because Google Pay ... fixed itself: the message for each card now shows "Hold to reader" instead of "Not set up". I previously read a couple comments elsewhere online from people who said this issue fixed itself after anywhere from "a few" to 24 hours. That seems to be what happened with me as well (24 hours). That might be worth adding to the notes in the original post.
    Good to hear! Well it seems to be a temporary issue only. Probably not happening always and maybe not again in the future, so your post here should suffice for info ;-)
    I'm loving this ROM thanks for the hard work! However it has one glaring flaw. Any ideas why, I can't connect to band 12? I'm on Tmobile in the USA. Volte works fine on other bands, such as 2, 4, 66 and I've even seen band 41 work. Vowifi works aswell. I can actually see it with cell mapper, but the phone refuses to even attempt to connect. Band 12 works perfectly fine with the stock rom. I'm using the correct, tmobile USA ims modem as well. Thank you.
    LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
    I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work. I only test them roughly.
    Backup download

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:
    Magisk seems to cause issues (bootloops) on update, so remove it first and reinstall if required. Note that Magisk is usually not required unless you want root.
    1. Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card or internal store and boot into recovery.
    2. When coming from stock ROM, do a full wipe (i.e. factory reset) via "Wipe". Do not wipe system! When flashing the stock ROM you can select to not keep user data which is equivalent to this step.
    3. Go to "Install", select the zip file and add optionally the gapps zip. Then flash it.
    4. After updates you may now wipe cache&dalvik (option after install)
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
    TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
    Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

For ease of use I suggest to flash this recovery (only required once):
    1. Boot in Fastboot mode: Hold "Volume Up" while connecting the USB cable to phone and PC
    2. Flash TWRP by running this on the PC: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1.img
      (adjust the filename if necessary)
    3. From now you can boot TWRP by turning on the phone with "Volume Down" + Power
    I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without much testing.
    If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire, linckandrea
    Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
    Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

Special thanks to landsome for donating a test phone for bug hunting and development.

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS
    CHANGELOG

2022-05-16

• May security patches
    • Fix mic volume issue with wired headsets
    • Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop
    2022-05-03
    • April security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st5-tag)
    • Removed LineageOS updater (unused application here)
    • Added Sony identification packages (Compatibility for some Sony apps from other sources)
    2022-03-20
    • March security patches
    • Updated some carrier configs (mostly Indian&Chinese) for IMS (VoLTE...)
    • Better support for flip covers
    • Allow disabling battery optimizations for the SMS app
    2022-02-20
    • February security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.302 (final LTS kernel)
    • Re-enable VoLTE toggle switch (there were reports of modem crashes when VoLTE is disabled, can't reproduce this, hence added the setting back)
    2022-01-23
    • January security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.299
    • Wireguard v1.0.20211208
    • Enhanced display brightness range
    • Experimental Ultra-Dim mode
    2021-12-19
    • December security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.295
    • QCom driver updates
    • Fix some permission issues
    • Reset phone ID to XZ1C
    2021-11-29
    • November security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.291
    • Fix IMS on 17.1
    • Fix/enhance Wifi-Display
    • Fix some power hints
    • Update APNs
    2021-10-19
    • October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    @MarkMRL Update 20220516 is out which should also fix the headset issue. Reproduced, found and fixed it as far as I can tell.
    I updated the ROM with the January security patches. I also included the "Ultra Dim" QuickSettings tile to reduce the screen brightness (overall). But that is experimental. I'm thinking about including that in the range of the brightness, i.e. make the lowest brightness levels less. Problem is that there are only 255 values possible so I have to define a switch-over point somehow and distribute those 255 values over effectively 2 distinct ranges. Let's see...

I also added Google Drive downloads temporarily as a backup if AFH fails again...
    Updates are out!
    Gabeldorsche seemingly works on my test phone, so maybe some upstream change already fixed it.

Anyway, wish you all an (early) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!