[ROM] LineageOS 17.1/18.1 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2022-11-15)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Rataplan626

Feb 7, 2006
One thing i have found on latest build LOS 17.1 8/12/22 - incomming telephone calls - at first i hear my ringtone and i dont see who are calling me and after some seconds, answering screen becomes
Ah, I thought it was something bugging on my particular phone. But I suffer the same. Also when using the 3CX voip app for work by the way. Super annoying!

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Currently testing the September builds. AFH seems to reject uploads right now, so might take another day or 2. Also checking the 19.1 sources from derfelot and integrating some of the changes into the new build, e.g. new APN settings.

BTW: Is there anyone who would prefer the 18.1 version over the 19.1 version? Thinking about porting my changes to 19.1 and not building 18.1 anymore, so 17.1 for those who want the Sony camera app and 19.1 for those who want a fresh system. Not sure if there is any advantage of the 18.1 version over 19.1

victor126

Sep 30, 2017
Currently testing the September builds. AFH seems to reject uploads right now, so might take another day or 2. Also checking the 19.1 sources from derfelot and integrating some of the changes into the new build, e.g. new APN settings.

BTW: Is there anyone who would prefer the 18.1 version over the 19.1 version? Thinking about porting my changes to 19.1 and not building 18.1 anymore, so 17.1 for those who want the Sony camera app and 19.1 for those who want a fresh system. Not sure if there is any advantage of the 18.1 version over 19.1
i tried 19.1 a couple times and always went back to 17.1

gladykov

Jul 12, 2010

I was always on 18.1 , but then switched to 19.1 and not going back - faster, drains less battery and nicer for the eye. So since derfelot stopped building 19.1 I think this is a great idea.

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
I'll try to backport some of the performance/battery changes from 19.1 to 17.1/18.1 and hope that helps but pretty busy with not much free time and maintaining 2 ROM versions is already a lot of work and the 19.1 changes are quite big. I just started looking through them although I got the kernel BPF stuff done locally now which is a major part.
That wouldn't be possible without the work of derfelot (I'm mostly cherry-picking his commits to my fork to make sure the security fixes I already have done and checked don't get lost), so many thanks for his hard work!

BTW: September builds are now finally uploaded

mxbndr

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks for working on this! Saved my phone from the voLTE nightmare carriers are enforcing right now. Love having Android 11, too! And adding a vote for staying on 18.1; Android 12+ is such a worse UI/UX for my taste.

A few things that are still buggy: the phone always boots into the Light theme. Dark Mode settings will not persist. I currently have Tasker set to change this on boot, but it's hit or miss.

Also, Wi-Fi calling did not work on @modpunk 's last build, but voLTE did. On the 09/22 build in this thread, Wi-Fi calling works well, but voLTE does not. I then changed the IMS toggle in the Xperia parts setting area, and it took a minute to find LTE but when it did voLTE worked!

Any idea how to make Dark Mode permanent? Is there a file somewhere I can patch?

mxbndr

Sep 29, 2010
Another possible issue: this version seems to have a harder time picking up an LTE signal (or any signal at all) until I manually switch to 2G and then to LTE. Is there a modem config or something I should try? It get's LTE fine once it finds it, but often it needs help.

gladykov

Jul 12, 2010
Another possible issue: this version seems to have a harder time picking up an LTE signal (or any signal at all) until I manually switch to 2G and then to LTE. Is there a modem config or something I should try? It get's LTE fine once it finds it, but often it needs help.
Use network switcher service
Screenshot_20221003-160918_XperiaParts.png

mxbndr

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks, I did have that activated. It didn't seem to change anything. I wonder if it's because it is seeking 3G networks that have been turned off, rather than 2G ("GSM").

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
I'm using 17.1 (because of the stock camera and I think also the faster storage access framework). I noticed VoLTE isn't provisioned as shown in the *#*#4636#*#* Phone Info settings. To get VoLTE working, do I need to reinstall stock firmware to get it enabled before reinstalling LOS again? My carrier says they are VoLTE in their FAQ.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you do anymore apn updates to the rom. here is a new H2O wireless apn settings
    Where do they come from? In the November builds I'm including many new APNs from LOS upstream but there they are different.

November updates are out: Again on GDrive as AFH doesn't work for uploading

And yes the network stuff is still sometimes an issue and might not be fixable. Hence the workaround to switch to 2G/3G and back to LTE.
    Another September build thing: When the device loses service (tunnel, basement, etc), it can't reconnect automatically. I always have to manually put it to 2G/EDGE, then back to LTE, and it will work. Compounding this issue is that when there is no mobile service, it will reset all network connections trying to find service, and so it will not stay connected to WiFi either. As soon as mobile service is restored, WiFi will reconnect and stay connected.

This isn't a huge problem most of the time, but when I travel outside of my normal home area it can be a real pain.

Is there a way to tell the phone to search for 2G/EDGE/GSM when there is no service, and then for LTE when it's on 2G? Even an app would be fine.
    Works fine for me (18.1 that is). Bluetooth works perfectly fine too. Actually streaming to a BT speaker while I'm typing this. So for you with issues, make a backup so you can always return to the current state, and then try a full wipe and reinstall. The rom works fine, so you can only try to narrow down where the issue is. Logcats / dmesg from when you enable Bluetooth or try to reconnect to network could also be supplied so there is some insight of what's happening.
    Can 17.1 be upgraded with dirty flash to 20.0?
    In my experience, probably not. For me, both 17 -> 18 and 18 -> 19 needed a format of data partition otherwise the device boot looped.

Dirty flash 19 -> 20 did work for me
    hi, i can't find the latest october 2022 version of lineageos17.1....there is only september
    Where do they come from? In the November builds I'm including many new APNs from LOS upstream but there they are different.

November updates are out: Again on GDrive as AFH doesn't work for uploading

And yes the network stuff is still sometimes an issue and might not be fixable. Hence the workaround to switch to 2G/3G and back to LTE.
    Thanks for the update! The november security patch is actually really important, as it fixes a critical vulnerability to bypass the lockscreen on Android 10+ (read more here: https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/14/android-lock-screen-bypass-google-pixel/)
    LineageOS 17.1/18.1 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Creating this to honor the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ which seems to be discontinued. Posting an own thread to keep the latest versions visible, I'm NOT claiming authorship over the ROM.
    I basically just build the ROM using the latest changes from upstream LineageOS/Google and kernel updates (usually incorporated by derf elot ) See my post.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18.1)

DOWNLOAD

You can download the latest release here.
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only test the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1 are build from mostly the same sources and hopefully work. I only test them roughly.
    Backup download

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:
    Magisk seems to cause issues (bootloops) on update, so remove it first and reinstall if required. Note that Magisk is usually not required unless you want root.
    1. Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card or internal store and boot into recovery.
    2. When coming from stock ROM, do a full wipe (i.e. factory reset) via "Wipe". Do not wipe system! When flashing the stock ROM you can select to not keep user data which is equivalent to this step.
    3. Go to "Install", select the zip file and add optionally the gapps zip. Then flash it.
    4. After updates you may now wipe cache&dalvik (option after install)
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk for LineageOS 17.1
    TWPR 3.5.0-0 by derf elot for LineageOS 18.1
    Or use the latest TWRP from https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxz1compact.html.

For ease of use I suggest to flash this recovery (only required once):
    1. Boot in Fastboot mode: Hold "Volume Up" while connecting the USB cable to phone and PC
    2. Flash TWRP by running this on the PC: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1.img
      (adjust the filename if necessary)
    3. From now you can boot TWRP by turning on the phone with "Volume Down" + Power
    I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try to and just build the Lineage 18.1 ROM without much testing.
    If you prefer to use a more well-tested Android 11 ROM, I suggest to look at Havoc-OS.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire, linckandrea
    Source Code: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac, Original: https://github.com/whatawurst/

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.
    Also please consider donating to the original authors too or to local charities as requested by @modpunk

Special thanks to landsome for donating a test phone for bug hunting and development.

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS
    CHANGELOG

2022-11-15

• November security patches
    • WLAN driver update
    • Huge APN update
    2022-10-13
    • October security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN for DIGI HU
    • Option to switch temporarily to 2G on boot
    2022-09-29
    • September security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN update
    2022-08-12
    • August security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st20)
    2022-07-25/28
    • July security patches
    • Kernel update
    2022-06-30
    • June security patches
    • Kernel update
    • Backport fix for CVE-2021-39686
    • Workaround fixing bootloop with recent OpenGapps (20220503 tested)
    2022-05-16
    • May security patches
    • Fix mic volume issue with wired headsets
    • Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop
    2022-05-03
    • April security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st5-tag)
    • Removed LineageOS updater (unused application here)
    • Added Sony identification packages (Compatibility for some Sony apps from other sources)
    2022-03-20
    • March security patches
    • Updated some carrier configs (mostly Indian&Chinese) for IMS (VoLTE...)
    • Better support for flip covers
    • Allow disabling battery optimizations for the SMS app
    2022-02-20
    • February security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.302 (final LTS kernel)
    • Re-enable VoLTE toggle switch (there were reports of modem crashes when VoLTE is disabled, can't reproduce this, hence added the setting back)
    2022-01-23
    • January security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.299
    • Wireguard v1.0.20211208
    • Enhanced display brightness range
    • Experimental Ultra-Dim mode
    2021-12-19
    • December security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.295
    • QCom driver updates
    • Fix some permission issues
    • Reset phone ID to XZ1C
    2021-11-29
    • November security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.291
    • Fix IMS on 17.1
    • Fix/enhance Wifi-Display
    • Fix some power hints
    • Update APNs
    2021-10-19
    • October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    I'm happy to announce the June update. Took a lot more work as I backported quite a bit to our kernel to fix CVE-2021-39686 although I'm not sure we were ever really affected by that. Anyway the backport fixes that hole and a few potential others making the device a bit safer!
    @MarkMRL Update 20220516 is out which should also fix the headset issue. Reproduced, found and fixed it as far as I can tell.
    I updated the ROM with the January security patches. I also included the "Ultra Dim" QuickSettings tile to reduce the screen brightness (overall). But that is experimental. I'm thinking about including that in the range of the brightness, i.e. make the lowest brightness levels less. Problem is that there are only 255 values possible so I have to define a switch-over point somehow and distribute those 255 values over effectively 2 distinct ranges. Let's see...

I also added Google Drive downloads temporarily as a backup if AFH fails again...