[ROM] LineageOS 17/18/19 UNOFFICIAL - (Update: 2024-03-30)

Shall F-Droid be included in the ROM(s)?

• Total voters
Search This thread

teguwecali

Aug 19, 2018
Hi, can anyone help me?
I dirty-upgraded from version 17 to 18, and after that I dirty-upgraded to 19. I made a backup of version 17 beforehand.
After upgrading I wanted to roll back to version 17. I wiped all the data and did a clean install, but the system doesn't want to boot. After restarting, my phone boots to a black screen (with the green LED for microsecond) and then boots back to TWRP on its own.

Now all I can do is install a clean version 19 and use it. The backup doesn't want to boot, giving an error `extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255`. Both clean installed 17 and 18 versions are won’t boot.
I even updated TWRP, but it had no effect.

What can I do?
Thanks.

petefoth

Dec 12, 2015
Whaley Bridge
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I wiped all the data and did a clean install, but the system doesn't want to boot.
You need to format the data partition, not just wipe it. It is usually possible to upgrade to a higher Android version by dirty flashing. but downgrading to a lower version usually requites you to format. The steps I usually follow are
1. Format data partition
2. Install the ROM
3. Boot the system, go through first time setup, setting whatever screen lock (pattern, PIN) you had when you made the backup
4. Boot to recovery
5. Restore the backup

Good luck!

teguwecali

Aug 19, 2018
You need to format the data partition, not just wipe it. It is usually possible to upgrade to a higher Android version by dirty flashing. but downgrading to a lower version usually requites you to format. The steps I usually follow are
1. Format data partition
2. Install the ROM
3. Boot the system, go through first time setup, setting whatever screen lock (pattern, PIN) you had when you made the backup
4. Boot to recovery
5. Restore the backup

Good luck!

Thank you very much! Everything is now fine.

android666

Jun 19, 2010
this v19 react the same way as "LineageOS 19.1 UNOFFICIAL - 1.6" - no DATA for Telekom (flapping) on my device

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
this v19 react the same way as "LineageOS 19.1 UNOFFICIAL - 1.6" - no DATA for Telekom (flapping) on my device
You mean you get reception and can do calls&SMS but no mobile internet? Have you checked the APN settings? If you find the correct APN settings (MCC, MNC, APN, ...), best on the website of your provider, let me know and I can include them. But I need that information as "Telekom (flapping)" isn't enough, although "flapping" turns up funny pages on Google, just nothing related to phones ;-)

Reactions: sieghartRM

android666

Jun 19, 2010
when i turn data on (with any LTE or another combination) connectivity to GSM provider flapping, situation is mentioned in 1.6 release of v19, or v20 (like here)

it looks to be problematic with Tmobile

flapping everything: gsm,sms,data...whole connectivity

Last edited:

3ncryptet

Apr 25, 2021
Amazing, thank you for keeping us up to date with this firmware @Flamefire.

Two thing I noticed:
- 2G is not selectable anymore as preferred network type in Settings (I sometimes need that when I'm in the mountains)
- Direct unlocking with fingerprint does not work. It first unlocks to lock screen, then I have to touch a second time. Worked directly before updating.

I upgraded from derf elot's lineage-19.1-20220918-UNOFFICIAL-1.6-lilac.zip

All the best

Arcline

Sep 11, 2016
Amazing, thank you for keeping us up to date with this firmware @Flamefire.

Two thing I noticed:
- 2G is not selectable anymore as preferred network type in Settings (I sometimes need that when I'm in the mountains)
- Direct unlocking with fingerprint does not work. It first unlocks to lock screen, then I have to touch a second time. Worked directly before updating.

I upgraded from derf elot's lineage-19.1-20220918-UNOFFICIAL-1.6-lilac.zip

All the best
The 2G setting is gone since 19.1 i believe on derfelot's build as well.
As for the fingerprint it's been like this on flamefires builds for a while, dunno why, some of his changes broke that functionality because on derf's builds it's working fine.
Im curious does going into Settings > Security > Gear icon on "Screen lock > Touch fingerprint to unlock change anything?

Reactions: 3ncryptet

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
The 2G setting is gone since 19.1 i believe on derfelot's build as well.
As for the fingerprint it's been like this on flamefires builds for a while, dunno why, some of his changes broke that functionality because on derf's builds it's working fine.
I can double-check why the 2G setting is gone but it looks like it was removed upstream. I see if I can patch it back.
As for the fingerprint: This is not "broken" but working as intended: A lot of people here complained that touching the on/off button immediately unlocks the phone. Hence I decided to follow suit with upstream LOS to disable this if the fingerprint is integrated into the powerbutton and cherry-picked a change used in similar LOS devices: https://github.com/Flamefire/androi...mmit/924352c24a95959941fe5a471741528dc2d87026
Unfortunately there isn't a user-setting to change this although I was thinking about adding one. I think that the current setting being the default makes sense also from a security perspective as unlocking the phone also enables NFC payments so doing that by accident can be a real problem.

Anyway: I'm currently very packed with work as I'm backporting security patches to the kernel, incorporating new changes from 19.1 to 17/18.1, updating blobs to hopefully resolve the connection loss issue (has anyone observed those on 19.1?) and just got the MicroG build working on 18.1 so at least that will be there once I'm done

gagou7

Jan 22, 2023
Tested latest lineage 19, even connected to a WIFI, no internet. Tested all TWRP version, the data partition was still encrypted. Version 3.7 is unusable, the screen is cropped.

Tested latest lineage 18, wifi working, fingerprint as well, TWRP 3.6 is able to decrypt the data partition ! MindTheGAPPS work perfectly as well.

So, no Android 12 for now but an up-to-date Android 11 with latest security patch ! Thank you for your awesome work !

Arcline

Sep 11, 2016
Tested latest lineage 19, even connected to a WIFI, no internet. Tested all TWRP version, the data partition was still encrypted. Version 3.7 is unusable, the screen is cropped.

Tested latest lineage 18, wifi working, fingerprint as well, TWRP 3.6 is able to decrypt the data partition ! MindTheGAPPS work perfectly as well.

So, no Android 12 for now but an up-to-date Android 11 with latest security patch ! Thank you for your awesome work !
Use the TWRP in Los20 thread for A12/13

hadr1an

Jan 9, 2017
Updated today to 18.1 20230120 (dirty flashed from older 18.1) and mobile data is not working. Any fixes / anyone with the same issue?

7alvoo

Jul 18, 2019
Updated today to 18.1 20230120 (dirty flashed from older 18.1) and mobile data is not working. Any fixes / anyone with the same issue?
My setup:
- twrp 3.7.0
- 18.1 20230120
- NikGapps-core-arm64-11-20220908-signed
- always backup the data and reformat the system part. before update
- the end: like a swiss clock

Reactions: Rataplan626
Thank you, everything works ❤️

I love my XZ1 compact so much...and I keep coming back to it.
You gave me a few more years out of the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125-122206_XDA Developers.png
    Screenshot_20230125-122206_XDA Developers.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 96
Been using this ROM for over a month and I'm really happy with it. Thanks for your work.
However, today SafetyNet failed for no reason. Play Integrity also fails. Last time I checked both passed.
Aby advice or thoughts what happened?

EDIT: wiped system, reflashed zip and OpenGapps, wiped Dalvik (or rather ART) and cache... and it fixed itself. That's bit odd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130-104311_Sklep_Google_Play.png
    Screenshot_20230130-104311_Sklep_Google_Play.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo_2023-01-30_11-25-42.jpg
    photo_2023-01-30_11-25-42.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
I found this: "Android 12 users need to go to Settings > Network & Internet > SIMs > Allow 2G"

However I just quickly checked on the spare phone and I do still have that setting on latest 19.1, although it is more hidden than on 17.1 (which I'm using personally)

Also switching to 2G is what I do when I have network issues (and done by the switcher service on startup). But I've seen a changeset that might help better here. Will be included in the February builds if that works.

EDIT: wiped system, reflashed zip and OpenGapps, wiped Dalvik (or rather ART) and cache... and it fixed itself. That's bit odd.

Wiping dalvik and cache is what I always do. Here I guess there was something on /system which shouldn't be there. Glad you could fix that! The SafetyNet fix is one of the things I do test for every update so I'd be surprised if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Flamefire

Jul 26, 2013
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
I uploaded MicroG builds for all 3 versions, they are named e.g. lineage-19.1-20230131-MICROG instead of lineage-19.1-20230131-UNOFFICIAL but are contained in the same folder.

As they are not compatible with each other (not sure if you can dirty-flash one over the other, at least you need to wipe system) you have to be careful to choose the correct one!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happy Easter!

I uploaded the 17 & 18 versions of the new ROM to GDrive. Google wallet seems to work. The 19 and MicroG versions still need some testing, will upload after Easter.

@snoopy29 not sure what you mean exactly. Can you Clearly describe the issue? But likely not fixed as I have spent a lot of time on IMS, kernel issues and the Play Integrity stuff especially if the time issue only happen on reboot it is annoying but not crucial. I haven't seen it on 17-non-MicroG (using network time which might hide it)
    Currently uploading the remaining builds (19.1 & MicroG versions) after some more testing and fixes. Play Integrity now passes on all builds and Wallet should hence work again. You can also use the PIF JSON file to change the fingerprints in case it gets blocked, as if PlayIntegrityFork was installed. Place it at /data/adb/pif.json to use. Only Build fields are supported though (i.e. not the properties)
    See the example file or better /vendor/etc/pif.json on the phone for the format and current usages.

The time issues on 17.1 persist and are hard to fix if at all so I stopped searching for a fix after some time as it works on 18 & 19 and on 17 the auto-set from network is "good enough". Or just don't reboot ;-)
    Also, does VoLTE work stable as in stock rom?

VoLTE and VoWiFi should work better than in stock ROM, universal support has been added, so the only limitation is the carrier possibly blocking the phone.

I took these steps to enable VoLTE as shown in an earlier post

For the March 2024 update, those steps are not necessary anymore. IMS features start automatically, when IMS is enabled in XperiaParts.
    Hi,
    I tried out 17 and 18 and everything works fine.
    Any suggestions?

Choose one.
    In version 17, I have always had the problem of the proximity sensor which during a call, in certain situations, when I move my face away, causes the screen to remain black and therefore makes it inaccessible to use the phone for example on speakerphone, during a call, to navigate or simply press keys on the numeric keyboard. This doesn't happen with other versions of lineageos. As a compensatory solution, we would need a function that forces the screen to stay on during the call, even with your face close...
    Has your phone ever been disassembled? Do you feel the top of the screen being a bit above the phone's case?

If you do, that's likely the reason. I have never experienced this, but will keep an eye out for this behavior.
    As a momentary fix, you can press the power button and that will wake up the screen.
    LineageOS 17/18/19 for Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

logo.png

RELEASE

This is an alternative ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

It is based on the great work of modpunk and derf elot from https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-lineageos-18-1-unofficial-2-0-update-2021-01-20.4047763/ with recent security updates, some backported from newer versions.

FEATURES
    • Signed with dev keys
    • EAS kernel
    • Passes SafetyNet out of the box (thanks Rooted_Ansh, Havoc-OS Team and kdrag0n)
    • Seedvault (Video)
    • IMS support (thanks to Rooted_Ansh and also Shujath)
    • 17.1 has stock Sony camera (not possible on 18+)

DOWNLOAD
    You can download the latest release here. (Backup download when AFH isn't uploading)
    HINT: Download both the ZIP and md5sum file so TWRP can check the consistency of the upload/download.
    Make sure you download the right version, vanilla LineageOS is named lineage-*UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zip while the MicroG version is named lineage-*-MICROG--lilac.zip

REQUIRED FIRMWARE: 47.2.A.11.228

IMPORTANT:
    I only use the 17.1 releases myself. The 18.1/19.1 are build from mostly the same sources and roughly tested, i.e. boots, WiFi works and SN passes/MicroG self check shows OK.

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:
    Magisk seems to cause issues (bootloops) on update, so remove it first and reinstall if required. Note that Magisk is usually not required unless you want root.
    1. Put the zip file of the ROM on your SD card or internal store and boot into recovery.
    2. When coming from stock ROM, do a full wipe (i.e. factory reset) via "Wipe". You don't need to wipe system. When flashing the stock ROM you can select to not keep user data which is equivalent to this step.
    3. Go to "Install", select the zip file and add optionally the gapps zip. Then flash it.
    4. After updates you may now wipe cache&dalvik (option after install)
    I suggest to use modpunks TWRP recovery. Again: Don't forget the md5sum file!
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 by modpunk / derf elot
    Or use the latest TWRP for 17.1/18.1 or TWRP for 19.1.
    3.7.0 Seems to work well with latest updates (decryption working) but LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12) requires the ones with "_12" suffix, e.g. 3.6.2_12.

For ease of use I suggest to flash this recovery (only required once):
    1. Boot in Fastboot mode: Hold "Volume Up" while connecting the USB cable to phone and PC
    2. Flash TWRP by running this on the PC: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1.img
      (adjust the filename if necessary)
    3. From now you can boot TWRP by turning on the phone with "Volume Down" + Power
    I heavily recommend to make a full backup before any installation so you can go back in case of issues. Flashing an older ROM usually helps to recover bootloops etc.

Upgrades between versions​

Dirty-flashing (e.g. from 17.1 to 18.1) works well but you have to also flash a GApps version matching the Android version or the device will bootloop.
    For the upgrade to 19.1 you may need to fully remove OpenGapps by wiping /system and install e.g. MindTheGapps.

SUPPORT

There is NONE. If you have any issues or question ask in the thread so maybe someone else knows the answer.
    I'm just providing the ROM (Lineage 17.1 variant) I use myself for others to try too and build the Lineage 18/19 ROMs without much testing.
    Contributions to the sources are welcome and likely get integrated into the next release.

Contributors
    modpunk, derf elot, Rooted_Ansh, Flamefire, linckandrea
    Source Code: Device tree: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_device_sony_lilac
    Kernel: https://github.com/Flamefire/android_kernel_sony_msm8998

If you want to buy me a coffee/beer, I'll appreciate it but it is not necessary.

Special thanks to landsome for donating a test phone for bug hunting and development.

ROM OS Version: Android 10/11/12
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS
    GApps: None included, except for the MICROG builds. Recommended is OpenGApps for 17/18 and MindTheGapps for 19.
    CHANGELOG

2024-03-30

• Kernel updates (CIP tag -st50)
    • Reduce performance issues
    • Play Integrity workaround (based on osm0sis work)
    • Attempt to enable IMS by default for all providers (mostly from @antoniu200 )
    2024-02-18
    • Feburary security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st49)
    2024-01-20
    • January security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st48 & LOS common kernel merge)
    2023-12-24
    • December security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st47 & additional security fixes)
    • Fix for critical Bluetooth vulnerability (CVE-2023-45866)
    2023-11-11
    • November security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st46 & additional security fixes)
    • Updates to the kernel scheduler backported from LOS 20 common kernel
    • Fix for CVE-2023-5217
    2023-10-15
    • October security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st45 & additional security fixes)
    • Fix for CVE-2023-4863 (actively exploited!)
    2023-09-16
    • September security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st44)
    2023-08-25
    • August security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st43)
    • Increased headset volume
    • Add Sony camera app to 18 & 19 (files copied from xperiance)
    2023-07-26
    • July security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st42)
    2023-06-16
    • June security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st41)
    • Fix noise when calling with a headset
    • Configurable fingerprint sensor when screen is off (Settings->Lockscreen)
    2023-05-19
    • Fix Play Integrity checks --> Google Wallet works
    • Minor improvements that were missed earlier
    • May security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st40)
    2023-04-30
    • April security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st39)
    2023-03-31
    • March security patches (backports from 18.1 to 17.1)
    • Kernel updates (CIP tag -st38)
    • Fix possible camera issues on 18.1
    2023-02-25
    • February security patches
    • Kernel updates (e.g. CIP tag -st37, also add some missing patches to 19.1 kernel)
    • Use newer compiler (Clang 12.0.7) for kernel, possibly improving performance/battery life
    • Add "Re-apply Modem" setting to XperiaParts to help with connection/modem-crash issues
    • Clear some space on /system & /vendor partitions by removing files no longer needed
    • Fix Android Auto connection
    2023-01-20
    • January security patches
    • Kernel updates
    • MicroG builds added (build date 31st Jan, but same sources)
    2022-12-27
    • December security patches
    • AGPS fix (using Google servers)
    • Kernel updates (e.g. Wireguard v1.0.20220627, improved security against stack attacks)
    2022-11-15
    • November security patches
    • WLAN driver update
    • Huge APN update
    2022-10-13
    • October security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN for DIGI HU
    • Option to switch temporarily to 2G on boot
    2022-09-29
    • September security patches
    • Kernel update
    • APN update
    2022-08-12
    • August security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st20)
    2022-07-25/28
    • July security patches
    • Kernel update
    2022-06-30
    • June security patches
    • Kernel update
    • Backport fix for CVE-2021-39686
    • Workaround fixing bootloop with recent OpenGapps (20220503 tested)
    2022-05-16
    • May security patches
    • Fix mic volume issue with wired headsets
    • Known issue: OpenGapps after 15/2 result in bootloop
    2022-05-03
    • April security patches
    • Kernel update (CIP st5-tag)
    • Removed LineageOS updater (unused application here)
    • Added Sony identification packages (Compatibility for some Sony apps from other sources)
    2022-03-20
    • March security patches
    • Updated some carrier configs (mostly Indian&Chinese) for IMS (VoLTE...)
    • Better support for flip covers
    • Allow disabling battery optimizations for the SMS app
    2022-02-20
    • February security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.302 (final LTS kernel)
    • Re-enable VoLTE toggle switch (there were reports of modem crashes when VoLTE is disabled, can't reproduce this, hence added the setting back)
    2022-01-23
    • January security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.299
    • Wireguard v1.0.20211208
    • Enhanced display brightness range
    • Experimental Ultra-Dim mode
    2021-12-19
    • December security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.295
    • QCom driver updates
    • Fix some permission issues
    • Reset phone ID to XZ1C
    2021-11-29
    • November security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.291
    • Fix IMS on 17.1
    • Fix/enhance Wifi-Display
    • Fix some power hints
    • Update APNs
    2021-10-19
    • October security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.288
    2021-09-18
    • September security patches
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Clang 11 for LOS 17.1 version (same as 18.1, improved optimizations)
    • Misc bugfixes backported from Android 11 to Android 10
    • Kernel 4.4.283
    2021-08-11
    • August security patches
    • Fix bug with switch 3G->4G in XperiaParts not working on slow boot
    • Include some more security patches from AOSP
    • Kernel 4.4.279
    2021-07-20
    • July security patches
    • Kernel 4.4.275
    2021-07-03
    • June security patches
    • Update to Linux Kernel 4.4.272
    • Updated APNs
    I'm happy to announce the June update. Took a lot more work as I backported quite a bit to our kernel to fix CVE-2021-39686 although I'm not sure we were ever really affected by that. Anyway the backport fixes that hole and a few potential others making the device a bit safer!
    April updates are out, enjoy! Again I had to backport every security patch from 18.1 to 17.1 so it really seems to be dying...
    I might switch to building LOS 20 though as derfelot doesn't seem to be providing updates anymore. And especially the battery charge/protection service that might be coming there looks promising...

Could you provide LineageOS recovery for this device?

Sorry no. I'd need to research how to create that recovery and maintaining 3/6 different ROM versions is already enough work especially with the hugely increased time/effort to keep LOS 17, so I can't afford to do even more.
    @MarkMRL Update 20220516 is out which should also fix the headset issue. Reproduced, found and fixed it as far as I can tell.