[ROM] LineageOS 18.1 UNOFFICIAL - 2.0 (Update: 2021-01-20)

Rooted_Ansh

Sep 4, 2017
To those concerned with camera quality and sad without stock camera,

This below is a sample from any random third party camera:
photo_2021-01-21_22-48-56.jpg

And here is the sample from snap (LOS camera):
nicer.jpg
img8.jpg

Not advertising anything here, just keeping my point that the only loss with stock camera gone in android 11 is 960fps slow motion.
The stock camera quality stays. (the second right most pic with black text is maxed zoomed in)

Credit for pics: One of the fellow testers

claudiobar

Oct 21, 2014
Flashing 1.8 over 1.7 did not work for me. I used the wipe function in TWRP and then flashed 1.8 and it booted.

My major issue now is I cannot boot into TWRP. Which TWRP version should we be using for 1.8?

Hi what did you wipe to make it work? (Asking to see if upgrading is currently possible in some way, or of it's better to wait until it is)
Regards

Jul 2, 2019
London
This release is somehow even worse than the last one. I am no longer able to record 720p or 1080p video at 60fps. I tried the pre-installed camera app, then I tried Open Camera (where I tried forcing 60fps, 150mb/s and MP4 HEVC). Still records in 24fps instead.

Whenever I set the display colour mode to vivid, it keeps resetting back to DCPI after a reboot. Also, the screen sometimes turns grey when I set the colour mode to vivid.

In the previous release, wifi would stop working and bluetooth would keep crashing after a few days of use. In this release, it happens after only the second boot! I also get messages about other apps such as Whatsapp crashing.

There are lots of other small issues that I could pick on, but that would be a waste of time. Overall, I am very disappointed.

Last edited:

derf elot

May 7, 2011
This release is somehow even worse than the last one. I am no longer able to record 720p or 1080p video at 60fps. I tried the pre-installed camera app, then I tried Open Camera (where I tried forcing 60fps, 150mb/s and MP4 HEVC). Still records in 24fps instead.

Whenever I set the display colour mode to vivid, it keeps resetting back to DCPI after a reboot. Also, the screen sometimes turns grey when I set the colour mode to vivid.

In the previous release, wifi would stop working and bluetooth would keep crashing after a few days of use. In this release, it happens after only the second boot! I also get messages about other apps such as Whatsapp crashing.

There are lots of other small issues that I could pick on, but that would be a waste of time. Overall, I am very disappointed.
OK bye!

Dean F

Sep 12, 2016
Taipei
Some comments after day of use.

- The wifi has some issues. It keeps disconnecting/reconnecting. I noticed the problem while using the phone on wifi only with no mobile network. So suddenly my apps would say no connection, then continue to work moments later.

- Magisk 21.4 with the props/finger print passes saftetnet. However Google Pay won't work, even with magisk hide, manager rename, etc etc. I understand this is out of scope for the dev's, but something to note for those who need it.

Years after the device's last official android 9 build - it is incredible to see a functional Android 11 ROM. So thankful.

Reactions: Strigae and dhchris

lucem

Jun 28, 2019
Thank you derf elot and modpunk for keeping this device alive!

I upgraded to LineageOS 18 and Beta Gapps 11, wiped cache and dalvik and it booted. I had problems with Google Play Services though, so I wanted to revert.
I downgraded back to 17.1 (1.7) and Gapps 10, but had bootloop. I went back into TWRP and again flashed LineageOS 18 and Beta Gapps 11. I still have bootloop. I would like to flash my Nandroid backup, but I can't get into TWRP anymore.

What I tried to solve the issue:
flashing derf elots TWRP, but I can't get into TWRP anymore, no matter which version I flash.

When trying to boot into TWRP via `fastboot boot recovery` or `fastboot boot twrp.img`, I get stuck on Sony logo.

If I try to boot OS, I get stuck on LineageOS logo – I kept it running over night to be sure.

How do I reset the device and get TWRP working again? I can still get into fastboot mode.

Last edited:

Dean F

Sep 12, 2016
Taipei
Thank you derf elot and modpunk for keeping this device alive!

I upgraded to LineageOS 18 and Beta Gapps 11, wiped cache and dalvik and it booted. I had problems with Google Play Services though, so I wanted to revert.
I downgraded back to 17.1 (1.7) and Gapps 10, but had bootloop. I went back into TWRP and again flashed LineageOS 18 and Beta Gapps 11. I still have bootloop. I would like to flash my Nandroid backup, but I can't get into TWRP anymore.

What I tried to solve the issue:
flashing derf elots TWRP, but I can't get into TWRP anymore, no matter which version I flash.

When trying to boot into TWRP via `fastboot boot recovery` or `fastboot boot twrp.img`, I get stuck on Sony logo.

If I try to boot OS, I get stuck on LineageOS logo – I kept it running over night to be sure.

How do I reset the device and get TWRP working again? I can still get into fastboot mode.
Flash TWRP again.

If you really stuck, flash the entire device with the latest sony stock firmware, and start again.

DocMAX

Nov 22, 2006
I try to go back to 17.1 but it doesn't work. I wiped data, cache, internal storage, system. flashed 17.1. but i get a bootloop (no lineageos logo). i get back to TWRP and it still "remembers" my old data encryption pattern. any idea how to fix all that? thanks!

baboon23

Apr 9, 2020
Wooohhaaa, you guys are on fire. Great work on L18 !

So far so good on all vital signs, I don't have IMS but I didn't have it on stock either so I cant complain.
I do get IMS on other phones, if any of you can take the data from my Samsungs and Pixels and inject them into the Sony so that I can get IMS then great. Otherwise I don't really need it.. Let me know what you need and I'll send you !

Love this phone....... Super fast, super durable, super updated ! ::)

Brother Doomax - Why would anyone want to have their phones not encrypted ? Do you hate yourself ? :)

Grokenberger

Jan 22, 2021
Like DocMAX and Lucem I ran into similar situation. Coming from LOS 17.1 1.7 release I thought it's a great idea upgrading to 18.1 without switching on my brain. The perfekt working release was from December, plus Magisk and the MagiskHidePropsConf module enabled, and some Gapps, nano or micro weight.

What I did in order:
  1. Made an Nandroid Backup with twrp (3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1)
  2. Dirty flashed the 18.1 release, wiped cache and dalvik
  3. Called System Reboot from TWRP
  4. Get looped back to TWRP
  5. Wiped everything (except the external SD card)
  6. Formated the Data Partition
  7. Installed the latest 17.1 release
  8. Installed Gapps (micro) from https://opengapps.org/
  9. Booted successfully into 17.1
  10. Rebooted into TWRP
  11. Restored from 1.
  12. Called System Reboot
  13. Stuck in Boot animation
  14. Switched off after approx. 20 minutes
  15. Booted in TWRP
  16. Installed magisk-uninstaller
  17. Booted again into System
  18. Still stuck in Boot animation
I have perfect access to the phone via MTP in TWRP, so where can I look for logs during the failing boot sequence? Any help is highly appreciated!

derf elot

May 7, 2011
Like DocMAX and Lucem I ran into similar situation. Coming from LOS 17.1 1.7 release I thought it's a great idea upgrading to 18.1 without switching on my brain. The perfekt working release was from December, plus Magisk and the MagiskHidePropsConf module enabled, and some Gapps, nano or micro weight.

What I did in order:
  1. Made an Nandroid Backup with twrp (3.3.1-0-lilac-android10-1)
  2. Dirty flashed the 18.1 release, wiped cache and dalvik
  3. Called System Reboot from TWRP
  4. Get looped back to TWRP
  5. Wiped everything (except the external SD card)
  6. Formated the Data Partition
  7. Installed the latest 17.1 release
  8. Installed Gapps (micro) from https://opengapps.org/
  9. Booted successfully into 17.1
  10. Rebooted into TWRP
  11. Restored from 1.
  12. Called System Reboot
  13. Stuck in Boot animation
  14. Switched off after approx. 20 minutes
  15. Booted in TWRP
  16. Installed magisk-uninstaller
  17. Booted again into System
  18. Still stuck in Boot animation
I have perfect access to the phone via MTP in TWRP, so where can I look for logs during the failing boot sequence? Any help is highly appreciated!
Upgrading from 17.1 is a great idea and it worked without any problems on my end on at least 2 devices. Why didn't you flash a new gapps build right after flashing 18.1? Obviously Android 11 requires an Android 11 gapps to work as well...

Just for kicks (i usually run my own builds) 2 days ago, i upgraded a test device running 1.7 by flashing in this order

1) 18.1 (2.0)
2) opengapps 11 beta
3) magisk 21.4 (was still on an older release)
4) possibly wiped cache/dalvik but can't remember
4) reboot & profit

As for how to restore a 17.1 backup..no idea, never done that. with fbe and encryption keys its a bit of a pain.

fabmann

Jun 2, 2019
Wow, great just looked for a possible january update for 17.1 and found this!
Only thing stopping me from downloading (and getting overexited) is you mentioned UnifiedNlp is not working? But in NanoDroid it says it would support Android 11 including microg, patcher for sigspoofing etc...isn't that including UnifiedNlp? So it does work but is not included in your release and only available when using microg?
Thanks in advance for clearing that up...

Grokenberger

Jan 22, 2021
[…]

1) 18.1 (2.0)
2) opengapps 11 beta
3) magisk 21.4 (was still on an older release)
4) possibly wiped cache/dalvik but can't remember
4) reboot & profit

As for how to restore a 17.1 backup..no idea, never done that. with fbe and encryption keys its a bit of a pain.
Thanks deeply for the rapid reply!

Did you do the flash that with the brand new TWRP release for Android 11? Makes that any difference?
Is it worth to give a try restoring the 17.1 backup blindy, not to reboot in system and upgrade to 18.1 plus opengapps11 plus magisk? I remember – in opposite to the minor upgrades of the 17.1 releases – there was no triggered update of the magisk kernel stuff when I tried to upgrade to 18.1.

I know very little about the FBE stuff and encryption keys are kind of rocket science for me. Sometimes I get asked in TWRP for the right passphrase, sometimes not. But the pain is already there…

derf elot

May 7, 2011
Thanks deeply for the rapid reply!

Did you do the flash that with the brand new TWRP release for Android 11? Makes that any difference?
Is it worth to give a try restoring the 17.1 backup blindy, not to reboot in system and upgrade to 18.1 plus opengapps11 plus magisk? I remember – in opposite to the minor upgrades of the 17.1 releases – there was no triggered update of the magisk kernel stuff when I tried to upgrade to 18.1.

I know very little about the FBE stuff and encryption keys are kind of rocket science for me. Sometimes I get asked in TWRP for the right passphrase, sometimes not. But the pain is already there…
on one device I did upgrade to the new one, on another I didn't. so for flashing the ROM it didn't make a difference. for triggering the automatic magisk update via addon.d script, the new one might be required, but I'm not sure.

you can try those steps, but not sure it will help.

baboon23

Apr 9, 2020
You may use Migrate (Search XDA For the Migrate app) to create a flashable zipped backup of all apps/contacts.
Requires root on both your backed up system and the new system.

Works great, although If you are using Lawnchair it might not restore onto Android 11 so be prepared to reinstall it from the play store

Day 2 with the new ROM full time, still no issues.