• XBMC in native linux

Votes: 479 80.0%
  • XBMC in android

Votes: 120 20.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

tenchiman

Jan 31, 2015
I had an ATV1200 that I have already installed the "donation" version and works okay.

Have a second ATV1200 that I am looking to install Ember as well. Is this project still alive?
I don't see a donation section on their website anymore.

Are they any alternate ways to get the latest version installed - if they no longer support our boxes?
I am aware that the previous method was to install the free version, then get a key and the box will OTA update to latest version.

Thanks.

Last edited:

johnniegtg

Nov 15, 2013
I had an ATV1200 that I have already installed the "donation" version and works okay.

Have a second ATV1200 that I am looking to install Ember as well. Is this project still alive?
I don't see a donation section on their website anymore.

Are they any alternate ways to get the latest version installed - if they no longer support our boxes?
I am aware that the previous method was to install the free version, then get a key and the box will OTA update do latest version.

Thanks.
They are going thru a server transition. Look for more devices and newer OS versions coming soon!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hatty 9 Keys

May 20, 2018
Can Ember only run Kodi for watching videos?
I was looking more for a general purpose Linux typewriter box to keep some notes on, do a bit of browsing and maybe (maybe!) receive emails. Is Ember a fit for this purpose?

coolpixs4

Mar 7, 2011
Okay this is a reliable method for unbricking MyGica ATV1200 and ATV1220 boxes and other identical Geniatech models with different branding (e.g. Sumvision X2 Clyclone). Many thanks to Josh at EmbER for his irreplaceable help and support without which this would not have been possible for me to have had a chance of succeeding. Using this method I have now successfully unbricked 5 boxes 2 X ATV1200 and 3 X ATV1220T boxes which are now all nicely running the latest EmbER firmware. But as per the usual caveat, you agree that you carry out the following procedures fully at your own risk of course.

Firstly you need to download the following three files, the last two are from my Public Dropbox folder, and please download these quite small files anew even if you already have files of the same or similar names, as there may well be differences, particularly with the 3rd file which has been importantly amended from an original that I had.

1. Amlogic BootcardMaker in English - Using link http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/download-amlogic-bootcardmaker-english.html
2. MX_LINUX-EMPTY-BOOTCARD-FOR-GIT.zip - Using link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17319514/MX_LINUX-EMPTY-BOOTCARD-FOR-GIT.zip
3. ATV1200 pins to short.jpg - Using link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17319514/ATV1200 pins to short.jpg

Step A. Okay the first task is to make a suitable SD boot card using the BootcardMaker.exe application found in Link 1 above. Note this version runs in English language and also in Windows 10, unlike earlier versions of this utility. So first unzip this downloaded .rar file into a suitable location on your PC (I use a cleared Temp folder on my C drive). Insert a suitable SD card of at least 1GB (I used a 4GB Class 4 card) into your PC SD card slot (or adaptor).
Run up the BootcardMaker.exe utility and VERY IMPORTANTLY make sure you locate your appropriate newly inserted SD card from the utillity's "Choose disk" option using the drop down list. Double check it is definitely pointing to your SD Card you wish to partition and format as whatever disk you point to will end up being totally reformatted and lose any data that was on it.
Next click on the Yes box in the "To Partition and Format" option.
Now click on the "Open" button in the "Choose your bin files:" settings option and you should see the u-boot.bin file which you must select.
Finally click on the "Make" button and you will see your SD card goes into the Windows normal quick format routine applet screen which you should say yes to and allow it to complete the format.

Step B Once BootcardMaker.exe has completed the special bootable formatting of your SD card then, by unzipping File 2 above, copy across all the files in the "MX_LINUX-EMPTY-BOOTCARD-FOR-GIT" folder just as they are from File 2 above. There will then be just 5 files in all which should importantly be on the root directory of your newly made special SD card. Your special bootable SD card used for unbricking your box is now ready for use.

Step C You now need to open up the case of your ATV1200 or ATV1220 by unscrewing and removing the three small cross headed screws on the rear of your box. Keep these screws in a safe place and then gently with say a small flat headed screwdriver prise open the top cover of your box taking care not to damage the case itself. For the ATV1220 box there is no need to remove the ribbon cables at the front as you can just lay the case top down in front of the box. You are now ready to start the unbricking procedure as detailed below.

Step D You will need a small electrical or similar flat headed screwdriver and a toothpick. First of all insert the newly created bootable SD card in the appropriate slot on your box. Next using the .jpg picture in File 3 above locate the two pins which you will need to short, these are pins 6 & 7 on the chip as shown by the red arrow. NOTE The ATV1220 mainboard is very similar so you can use the ATV1200 picture provided to easily identify the chip and the two pins as it is pretty much in the same place.

Step E With the box switched off with the power plug unplugged from the back we are now ready for the important unbricking stage. You must of course have an HDMI cable connected from the box to your TV / monitor and ensure that it is properly connected and working (test with another good device like a DVD player or Games console etc). So carefully with the small screwdriver short across the two appropriate pins 6 & 7, as per the red arrow in the picture, and using the toothpick press in and hold the recessed reset button ensuring that you felt it properly click in. Using a third hand (i.e. a helper) and, whilst still maintaining the pin shorting and toothpick pressed in reset button, now apply the power plug to the box so it powers up (front lamp lights red normally). Count about 5 to 10 seconds (no more) and remove the screwdriver from shorting the two pins but keep the reset button pressed in still and best to wait until you see some activity on your TV screen before removing the toothpick. YOU MUST NOT AT THIS STAGE SWITCH OFF YOUR BOX AS IT MAY TAKE UP TO TWO MINUTES BEFORE YOU SEE ANY ACTIVITY. You should then be dumped into the standard recovery screen and of course you can now remove the toothpick too.

If nothing happens after about two minutes then you need carefully repeat this complete Step E again and ensure that you have indeed shorted those two pins 6 & 7 which may in some cases require first gently scraping any insulating coating they may have over them. If all went smoothly then congratulations you have now successfully unbricked your box. But before moving on I suggest you carry out from the recovery screen a factory reset which will clear any possible unwanted content out of your box, then power off your box by removing the power plug.

Step F You can now flash the latest EmbER 3.0.1 public release firmware to your newly unbricked box in the normal way using your toothpick and a suitable SD card with the EmbER 3.0.1 files copied onto it. Your should find there is no need to first install any earlier MX Linux firmware as the box is now clear and will accept the EmbER firmware cleanly and reliably. You should then of course register your box by making a suitable donation of US$10 or more to unleash your EmbER firmware and update it to the latest fully activated EmbER firmware. That also shows your appreciation for all the good work that Josh and Cory carry out at EmbER including the huge help with this unbricking procedure

Step G Once you are happy all is working you can carefully reassemble your opened box using the three screws you removed and kept safe. Now enjoy your newly recovered box.

Please give your feedback whether that be confirmation that it all worked for you or in particular if you had any problems with the above instructions or if you found any errors.
dropbox link not working, please help

my tvbox not boot
the tvbox look like this
28i5nqt.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_234315.jpg
    IMG_20180331_234315.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20180401_000019.jpg
    IMG_20180401_000019.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20180401_001936.jpg
    IMG_20180401_001936.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20190113_175711.jpg
    IMG_20190113_175711.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 225

DCC2019

Mar 9, 2019
G18REF AV Out and other Questions

Hello,
First, before I go on about the other difficulties I am having I'd like to know if the build downloaded from the site I mention below will support the Analog AV Out port on the device. I have to connect it to an older CRT TV. I tried LibreElec but that is not an option there.

I'm too new on this forum to be allowed to post links, the closest I'm able to get is....I downloaded EmbER for my g18ref box from:
ember-dev . com
The instructions included in the README state I must reboot with an SD card inserted that has the extracted files from the Archive in it. I don't have an SD and when I tried with a USB flashdrive nothing loaded automatically as the README indicated would occur on SD. I'm wondering if I can utilize the .zip file that was one of the files required to be on the SD to flash via recovery?

Thanks in advance if anyone is still monitoring this discussion at all.

Hatty 9 Keys

May 20, 2018
Hey, everyone! Whatever happened to Ember?

Ember-dev is dead... I see a github repo only still up. Tried to configure a build to make my own, but it is way over my head. Thousands of unfamiliar options.
I only want to use my g18ref MX2 box as a typewriter for LaTeX, a bit of email sending/reading, and minimal browsing on the web. Might even go VNC thin client route to my "real" PC. Basically, I am looking for a regular Linux box with Xorg and no multimedia is needed.
Can anyone help me get up and running?
So far I could not find an image that would burn EmbER onto the box. If I have to go make menuconfig/make route, are there pre-configured files out there that could build an MX2-ready image?
Anyone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EmbER v2.0.2 is Rolling Out!!!

Links are on our home page.

If you like it please click thanks on this post and give it a rating
    Thanks to all users

Flash at your own risk!!!
    We claim absolutely no responsibility if you make your device a paperweight, READ everything and know what you are doing before you start.

Info
    Embedded Entertainment Rom (EmbER) is small Linux distribution for the sole purpose of running the widely known Kodi Media Center as a OS on TV boxs using Amlogic chipsets and eventually others.

Support will be limited and handled over XDA forums.

If you would like to help out or know a fix let us know, Any fixes we make or find will be shared back to other developers on git ;)

Credits
    XBMC@Github for xbmc source
    Buildroot.org for buildroot source
    Pivosgroup@Github for AML fixs
    Stane1983@Github for help and fixs along the way
    J1nx@Github for his work on AML devices
    WJB@Github for his work on MX devices
    CodeSnake@Github for his work on M6 devices
    Amlogic for access to there sources
    XDA for hosting these fourms
    AndroidFileHost, DevHost, and Goo.im for free premium file hosting

EmbER-Dev Team
    CronicCorey | Josh.5

[URL="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RXYPT5A5ACJ7W"]
    paypal_donate_button.gif
    [/URL]

Bitbucket | Github | Gitlab
    Builds

EmbER version scheme
    vX.X.X-aX = alpha
    vX.X.X-bX = beta
    vX.X.X-rcX = release canidate
    vX.X.X = release

EmbER Links

EmbER-Dev

All MX Linux downloads
    Link 1 | Link 2

ssh/putty logon info
    logon: root
    password: letmein
    Corey, thank you so much for sharing your developments!

Some questions:
    -Have you been able to test audio out through SPDIF?
    -Is internet streaming working for you?
    -Is there a work-around for changing the network settings?
    -Will a DHCP ethernet connection set itself up properly?

your welcome,

- no spdif untested but hdmi passthrough works fine
    - yes i stream 480p/720p/1080p without issues
    - that bug is unconfirmed as of now
    - yes dhcp works

cheers