[ROM][Linux/XBMC] OpenELEC for Amlogic-based TV-Boxes (WeTek Play, M8, MX2)

Search This thread

codesnake

Jun 9, 2009
This is a port of OpenELEC for devices based on Amlogic chips. Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center (OpenELEC) is a small Linux distribution built from scratch as a platform to turn your device into an XBMC media center.

Currently only Generic Droid-TV MX (G18REF) and Gbox Midnight MX2 (MX2REF) devices are supported, which are based on AML-8726MX SOCs.

Note that official OpenELEC team does NOT officialy support these builds, and is NOT involved in any way, so DO NOT POST bugs and DO NOT ASK for help on official OpenELEC site at http://openelec.tv.
If you need help, please ask you questions in this topic, or file a bug at https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/issues.

Latest stable release:

OpenELEC for Amlogic 5.0.3 with Kodi 14.1 Helix:
Download links for WeTek Play:
Download links for M8 2GB:
Download links for MX2/G18:
Latest testing release:

OpenELEC for Amlogic 5.0 RC3 with Kodi 14.0 Helix RC3:
Download links for WeTek Play:
Download links for M8 2GB:
Download links for MX2/G18:

Source code:
https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv

Previous releases:

OpenELEC 4.2.0 with XBMC 13.2 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.2.0 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/139-openelec-4-2-0-released. Below are Amlogic-specific updates:
  • Added support for em28xx based TV cards in Linux kernel
  • Update Mali GPU driver to r3p2-01rel3
  • Fixed some H264 video stuttering issues
  • Fixed issues with playback of H264 videos that have variable frame rate
  • Fixed audio output issues of audio tracks with some rarely-used sample rates
  • Added support for Pantherlord/GreenAsia game controllers

OpenELEC 4.2 Beta6 with XBMC 13.2 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.2 Beta6 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/138-openelec-4-2-beta-6-released.

OpenELEC 4.2 Beta5 with XBMC 13.2 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.2 Beta5 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/137-openelec-4-2-beta-5-released. Below are Amlogic-specific updates:
  • Fixed "Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run fsck manually" issue

OpenELEC 4.2 Beta4 with XBMC 13.2 RC1 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.2 Beta4 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/136-openelec-4-2-beta-4-released. Below are Amlogic-specific updates:
  • Added support for most commonly used WiFi adapters
  • Disable concurrent mode in rtl8xxx_EU wireless driver that caused all available wireless networks to be shown twice

OpenELEC 4.2 Beta3 with XBMC 13.2 Beta3 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.2 Beta3 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/135-openelec-4-2-beta-3-released. Below are Amlogic-specific updates:
  • Added support for most commonly used HID devices
  • Fixed an issue when the display of the currently playing video is disabled after a resolution change

OpenELEC 4.0.7 with XBMC 13.1 Gotham (new MTD):
See what's new in 4.0.7 here - http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/132-openelec-4-0-7-released. Below are Amlogic-specific updates:
  • Fixed judderring during playback of some H264 1080p videos
  • Mount SD-cards automatically
  • Enabled 'Remote control sends keyboard presses' setting by default to make the remote control work correctly with on-screen keyboard
  • Disabled SSH by default
  • Added support for OpenELEC official and unofficial addon repositories
  • Fixed issue with black bar on the right side of the screen in 1080p 60Hz mode

Last edited:

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
Firstly I'd just like to say that OpenELEC on the MX box is great. So many thanks to codesnake for your hard work.

No on to my problem which is probably something I'm doing wrong. I am currently running v4.0.6 and I want to update to 4.2 beta 3

However, my problem is that I am following the upgrade instructions in the wiki but when I try to connect to the box from a web browser on my PC by typing in the IP address I don't get the file manager display but instead I get a media display window where I can see thumbnails of all my movies, TV shows and music in the browser window.

How do I get the file manager display so I can drop the tar file into the update folder.

Thanks for any help

codesnake

Jun 9, 2009
Firstly I'd just like to say that OpenELEC on the MX box is great. So many thanks to codesnake for your hard work.

No on to my problem which is probably something I'm doing wrong. I am currently running v4.0.6 and I want to update to 4.2 beta 3

However, my problem is that I am following the upgrade instructions in the wiki but when I try to connect to the box from a web browser on my PC by typing in the IP address I don't get the file manager display but instead I get a media display window where I can see thumbnails of all my movies, TV shows and music in the browser window.

How do I get the file manager display so I can drop the tar file into the update folder.

Thanks for any help
You need to type the IP address in a Windows Explorer window rather than in Internet Explorer. Also make sure to prepend the IP address with two backslashes, for example \\192.168.1.46
Also note that you need to unpack the KERNEL, KERNEL.MD5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.MD5 files from the TAR archive into Update folder, not just copy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xmon1000

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
You need to type the IP address in a Windows Explorer window rather than in Internet Explorer. Also make sure to prepend the IP address with two backslashes, for example \\192.168.1.46
Also note that you need to unpack the KERNEL, KERNEL.MD5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.MD5 files from the TAR archive into Update folder, not just copy it.

I knew it was going to be something stupid I was doing wrong. I misread the wiki where it said 'type the IP address into the address bar of an explorer window' and read it as an internet explorer window.

Thanks very much for your help.

Recallza

Mar 2, 2011
New User - Issue List

Hi codesnake,

Many thanks for the hours you've put into developing this ROM. It truly is the best one out there.

I'm running this rom on a AceMax Midnight MX2 Box and I'm using the AceMax Air Mouse

For some strange reason the Return key on the mouse doesn't work, however, when I disable to mouse feature the return key then works.

Is there any possibility to get the return key working with the mouse activated?

Many thanks.

codesnake

Jun 9, 2009
Hi codesnake,

Many thanks for the hours you've put into developing this ROM. It truly is the best one out there.

I'm running this rom on a AceMax Midnight MX2 Box and I'm using the AceMax Air Mouse

For some strange reason the Return key on the mouse doesn't work, however, when I disable to mouse feature the return key then works.

Is there any possibility to get the return key working with the mouse activated?

Many thanks.
Hi Recallza,
To fix the issue I need to at least reproduce it, but because I don't have AceMax Air Mouse, it is currently impossible.

Reactions: xmon1000 and Flo750

Recallza

Mar 2, 2011
Hi Recallza,
To fix the issue I need to at least reproduce it, but because I don't have AceMax Air Mouse, it is currently impossible.

Hi Codesnake,

Thanks very much for the response:)

Hopefully someone else is able to reproduce the problem and fix it. To give some more information, I enabled debugging mode and checked the xbmc.log file and I couldnt record the button being pressed. As I said, when I turn Mouse off I'm then able to pickup on the buttons

I'm assuming by the below logs, that my Return button is my rightclick button :)

23:15:11 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
23:15:24 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ProcessMouse: trying mouse action leftclick
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10004
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Settings.xml) ------
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ProcessMouse: trying mouse action rightclick
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::previousWindow: Deactivate
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Settings.xml) ------
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::previousWindow: Activate new
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------

Recallza

Mar 2, 2011
Hi Recallza,

Hi Codesnake,

Thanks very much for the response:)

Hopefully someone else is able to reproduce the problem and fix it. To give some more information, I enabled debugging mode and checked the xbmc.log file and I couldnt record the button being pressed. As I said, when I turn Mouse off I'm then able to pickup on the buttons

I'm assuming by the below logs, that my Return button is my rightclick button :)

23:15:11 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
23:15:24 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ProcessMouse: trying mouse action leftclick
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10004
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
23:15:33 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Settings.xml) ------
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ProcessMouse: trying mouse action rightclick
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::previousWindow: Deactivate
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Settings.xml) ------
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::previousWindow: Activate new
23:16:14 T:1085104832 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------

Hi All,

Something also to note - when I do press the Return key multiple times while mouse is enabled it'll work after the 4th or 5th time and then it's picked up in the logs, however when I press it just once it doesn't get picked up in the logs....

chuckconnors

Dec 14, 2011
I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to get a remote display of the MX2 output on another machine? Something like VNC? I'd like to be able to control things using a PC from time-to-time and have the ability to use a physical keyboard. Right now I'm not at home but would like to install an addon and configure it. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

One other thing, I'm assuming that OpenElec will start releasing Helix builds in the somewhat near future. Are you planning on updating with Helix and Gotham builds?

codesnake

Jun 9, 2009
I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to get a remote display of the MX2 output on another machine? Something like VNC? I'd like to be able to control things using a PC from time-to-time and have the ability to use a physical keyboard. Right now I'm not at home but would like to install an addon and configure it. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

One other thing, I'm assuming that OpenElec will start releasing Helix builds in the somewhat near future. Are you planning on updating with Helix and Gotham builds?
I make releases in sync with mainline OpenELEC. If they'll release a version based on Helix, I'll release it as well.

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
New Version Of g18ref Board

I thought I would bring to peoples attention a new version of the MX box which although appears the same and reports itself as a g18ref it is different and causing me some problems.

I have a generic MX box (g18ref) which is running OpenELEC and I have been so impressed that I decided to buy another box from eBay. When the new box arrived the packaging was exactly the same as my original and initially the MX box itself looks exactly the same. However on closer inspection there are a few differences as shown in these pictures.

As you can see, the A/V socket and the SPDIF socket have swapped position and the ethernet socket is upside down.

Here is a comparison of the two circuit boards:-

As can be seen they are completely different.

When I got the new box I wanted to do a backup of the stock system before attempting to load OpenELEC but unfortunately I could not get any version of CWM to work and in attempting to boot into CWM it somehow corrupted the system and would no longer boot and stuck at the Android logo. I could boot into the stock 3e recovery but even doing a factory reset would not get it to boot again. So I then decided to just attempt to install OpenELEC as I had nothing to lose. This surprisingly went ok and OpenELEC booted up fine but with a few issues.
Firstly, the analogue sound does not appear to work. All I get from the analogue sound port is a permanant loud buzzing sound with no audio from whatever file is being played.
Secondly, when you press the remote control power button the box will just close and restart OpenELEC and not power down the box. It is not rebooting the box itself but just restarting OpenELEC.

For diagnostic purposes I then installed the Matricom 1.1.6 firmware to see if that would work ok. This seems to work as expected. The analogue sound works fine and the remote control power button powers off the box and restarts it as expected. The only small odd thing is that the power light on the box is blue when off and red when on which is the oposite of the original box.

The next thing I wiill try is installing croniccorey's MXLinux and see if that has the same issues.

So if anyone is having some strange issues then check what version of the MX box you have. You only have to look at the back panel at the positions of the A/V & SPDIF sockets and the orientation of the ethernet port.

I shall report back with any further information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kozmo2k4

jellywobbles

May 21, 2009
Fareham
I thought I would bring to peoples attention a new version of the MX box which although appears the same and reports itself as a g18ref it is different and causing me some problems.

I have a generic MX box (g18ref) which is running OpenELEC and I have been so impressed that I decided to buy another box from eBay. When the new box arrived the packaging was exactly the same as my original and initially the MX box itself looks exactly the same. However on closer inspection there are a few differences as shown in these pictures.

As you can see, the A/V socket and the SPDIF socket have swapped position and the ethernet socket is upside down.

Here is a comparison of the two circuit boards:-

As can be seen they are completely different.

When I got the new box I wanted to do a backup of the stock system before attempting to load OpenELEC but unfortunately I could not get any version of CWM to work and in attempting to boot into CWM it somehow corrupted the system and would no longer boot and stuck at the Android logo. I could boot into the stock 3e recovery but even doing a factory reset would not get it to boot again. So I then decided to just attempt to install OpenELEC as I had nothing to lose. This surprisingly went ok and OpenELEC booted up fine but with a few issues.
Firstly, the analogue sound does not appear to work. All I get from the analogue sound port is a permanant loud buzzing sound with no audio from whatever file is being played.
Secondly, when you press the remote control power button the box will just close and restart OpenELEC and not power down the box. It is not rebooting the box itself but just restarting OpenELEC.

For diagnostic purposes I then installed the Matricom 1.1.6 firmware to see if that would work ok. This seems to work as expected. The analogue sound works fine and the remote control power button powers off the box and restarts it as expected. The only small odd thing is that the power light on the box is blue when off and red when on which is the oposite of the original box.

The next thing I wiill try is installing croniccorey's MXLinux and see if that has the same issues.

So if anyone is having some strange issues then check what version of the MX box you have. You only have to look at the back panel at the positions of the A/V & SPDIF sockets and the orientation of the ethernet port.

I shall report back with any further information.

This is well documented on Freaktab - you may find that this box has a different MTD layout to your "proper MX box", and the circuit board is probably v1, whereas the latest circuit board for genuine g18ref clones is v2.22 ;) If you bought it off eBay (via Paypal) send it back for a refund - Paypal now covers you for 180 days!

BTW your images are the wrong way around - the genuine g18ref device has the AV port immediately to the left of the HDMI connector. SPDIF being next to USB-4. The lettering on the fake is also larger - and the font used for HDMI is wrong.

EDIT: The OP has now corrected this issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone