• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[ROM] [Lollipop] [V0.5] [06/28/2015] FreedomROM

I'm thinking about naming this FreedomROM. Yes or no?

• Total voters

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Code:
*** Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any harm caused to your device as a result of installing this ROM.
Introduction

This is FreedomROM. FreedomROM is about giving you the freedom to do what you want with YOUR device. It allows you to escape the ugliness of Touchwiz and start fresh. Android is about choice, and that is how it should be.
Screenshots
Features
  • Deodexed
  • Debloated
  • Removed Samsung apps
  • AOSP sounds
  • AOSP Apps (Google Dialer, Clock, Messenger, Google Camera, etc.)
  • Google Now Launcher
  • Themed framework-res
  • AOSP Icons
  • Cyanogenmod AudioFx and Music (Viper Replacement)
Installation Instructions
This ROM can be installed in either FlashFire or Safestrap

5.0 Install Instructions
  • Install FlashFire FlashFire (It's free)
  • Press "+"
  • Press "Wipe"
  • Check "System Data, 3rd party apps, Dalvik cache, Cache partition" and press checkmark
  • Press "+" again
  • Press "Flash ZIP or OTA"
  • Navigate to where you have ROM downloaded
  • Press checkmark
  • Press "Flash"

4.4 Install Instructions
  • Install FlashFire FlashFire (It's free)
  • Press "+"
  • Press "Wipe"
  • Check "System Data, 3rd party apps, Dalvik cache, Cache partition" and press checkmark
  • Press "+" again
  • Press "Flash ZIP or OTA"
  • Navigate to where you have ROM downloaded
  • Press checkmark
  • Press "Reboot" card
  • Select "Download"
  • Press "Flash"
  • When FlashFire reboots to download mode, flash OC4 firmware in Odin Link
  • Done!
Downloads
To Do
  • Finish theming Settings
  • Merge signal and data icons
Bugs
  • Short lag when placing call
  • Samsung Account not syncing Removed Samsung Account
Changelog
Version 0.1:
  • Initial Release
Version 0.2:
  • Fixed Notification Padding
  • Changed default wallpaper to stock Android
  • Removed SoundAlive
  • Fixed Google Play Music crash
Version 0.3:
  • Themed SystemUI
  • Changed default lockscreen wallpaper
  • Debloated some more apps
  • Added AOSP Wifi and Signal icons
  • Added "Reboot" and "Airplane mode" to power menu
  • Updated system apps
  • Added new Google Photos
  • Added Google Docs
  • Added M Developer Preview Camera
Version 0.4:
  • Added "FreedomROM Mods" app
  • Enabled navigation bar mod
  • Install Nexus SystemUI
  • Install Stock SystemUI
Version 0.5:
  • Added 3Minit Nexus SystemUI
  • Added 3Minit Stock SystemUI
  • Fixed stock bugs and crashes when using TW Dialer
  • Fixed notification color bug in Nexus SystemUI
  • Added more AOSP theming
Donation
If anybody would like to donate, here is the link: Donations
Thank you all for all of your support!
Credits
  • @jrkruse for the base ROM
  • Google - for Android
  • Samsung - for this phone
  • 3Minit Development - for the 3Minit mods
  • Cyanogenmod - Music and AudioFX
XDA:DevDB Information
FreedomROM, ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5

Contributors
DROIDRAZ
ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 0.5
Stable Release Date: 2015-06-28

Created 2015-05-02
Last Updated 2015-06-28

Attachments

Last edited:

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Nexus 6 SystemUI
I am providing anyone who is feeling risky to try this on their device. In most cases it has not worked, but on occasion it does. Once it starts working, it will work until you do something to your system. There are occasional SystemUI crashes when the signal is changing, but it restarts itself after a couple of seconds. If you are going to try this, PLEASE BACKUP YOUR PHONE. This is very important in case it fails to work. The problem is that it keeps crashing, so it is very difficult to do anything.

Nexus 6 SystemUI Test

Move the file to /system/priv-app/SystemUI and set permissions.

Last edited:

Armaiz

May 2, 2015
Seems Awesome! Is it just .apks or is the ui completely changed? Either way I would love to have this! I think if somehow you can get the notification bar and lockscreen to be similar it would have a very stock feel. Especially with build.prop tweaks to add multi users and softkeys. Keep it up!

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Seems Awesome! Is it just .apks or is the ui completely changed? Either way I would love to have this! I think if somehow you can get the notification bar and lockscreen to be similar it would have a very stock feel. Especially with build.prop tweaks to add multi users and softkeys. Keep it up!
It's apk's for the most part, but I've themed the Settings app and some other stuff.

Also, just now I decided to experiment and I just copied over the Nexus 6 SystemUI and it appears this could work.

1430539193798.jpg
1430539203131.jpg

The only problem is it crashes when I press the volume button because of Samsung's safe volume thing, but I'm definitely going to be looking into debugging it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Armaiz

May 2, 2015
Are you testing this on Verizon s5? This is exactly what I've been wanting! Awesome work!

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

I just downlaoded alliance rom. It kind of ruined the defualt ui. So I think Im going to try yours out. Do you have the navigation bar and lcokscreen on it yet?

Lightn1ng

Mar 31, 2015
Washington, D.C.
It's apk's for the most part, but I've themed the Settings app and some other stuff.

Also, just now I decided to experiment and I just copied over the Nexus 6 SystemUI and it appears this could work.

View attachment 3292344
View attachment 3292345

The only problem is it crashes when I press the volume button because of Samsung's safe volume thing, but I'm definitely going to be looking into debugging it.

How'd you get the Nexus 6 SystemUI working on your device...? For me, the screen is just black

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Are you testing this on Verizon s5? This is exactly what I've been wanting! Awesome work!

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

I just downlaoded alliance rom. It kind of ruined the defualt ui. So I think Im going to try yours out. Do you have the navigation bar and lcokscreen on it yet?
How'd you get the Nexus 6 SystemUI working on your device...? For me, the screen is just black
I've been trying to duplicate this and I cannot seem to do it by just copying the apk again. I get a SecurityException. This also happens when replacing the AOSP SystemUI with the default SystemUI. I'm going to try to add it into the zip so it will be there from the start.

heyitsmatt1

May 23, 2014
So I have head no problems with your rom since installing. Except I noticed I cannot use the dial pad during a call. Like I tried to check my voicemail and it won't register me typing my passcode. It showas it type in. But somehow it doesn't register. I'm not sure what's going on exactly with it. Hope maybe someone might be able to spread some light on a possible solution? :) thanks!

P.S. get job turning Samsung to AOSP!

Lightn1ng

Mar 31, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I've been trying to duplicate this and I cannot seem to do it by just copying the apk again. I get a SecurityException. This also happens when replacing the AOSP SystemUI with the default SystemUI. I'm going to try to add it into the zip so it will be there from the start.
I don't think this is a good idea...
When the non-default SystemUI detects a change in the file, it just throws a security exception... Some people do things to their SystemUI. By doing this, you are essentially locking the SystemUI, which I don't think some would like...

snowrelyt

Nov 8, 2014

View attachment 3292344
View attachment 3292345

My god. It's beautiful.

Fantastic work, DEFINITELY moving to this rom when it's more fleshed out.

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
So I have head no problems with your rom since installing. Except I noticed I cannot use the dial pad during a call. Like I tried to check my voicemail and it won't register me typing my passcode. It showas it type in. But somehow it doesn't register. I'm not sure what's going on exactly with it. Hope maybe someone might be able to spread some light on a possible solution? :) thanks!

P.S. get job turning Samsung to AOSP!
This is strange. Try wiping cache and dalvik

Armaiz

May 2, 2015
Did you get the notification pull down and lock screen fixed? Honestly thats all I need but man do those apps look just as amazing.

mrjiggywiggy

Nov 4, 2014
New York
I might have found a fix to the SecurityException error. I'm not a developer, so I can't guarantee this was the right solution but it might be possible to decompile both the Nexus 6's SystemUI.apk and the S5's SystemUI.apk and then put the S5's AndroidManifest.xml (which sets permissions) into the Nexus 6's decompiled SystemUI. After that you can recompile the new one and move it to /system/priv-app and set permissions. I was looking at the file and it lists permissions and actions that (might) break the SystemUI as they have things that aren't in the Nexus 6's SystemUI code. I might be able to get this done and send it soon but I'm having problems decompiling both apks, but if anyone wants to try feel to go ahead.

Edit: Apktool is acting up on WIndows and my Linux VM isn't working so I can't do this. If someone else can, please. :)

Last edited:

DROIDRAZ

Aug 25, 2012
Los Angeles
I might have found a fix to the SecurityException error. I'm not a developer, so I can't guarantee this was the right solution but it might be possible to decompile both the Nexus 6's SystemUI.apk and the S5's SystemUI.apk and then put the S5's AndroidManifest.xml (which sets permissions) into the Nexus 6's decompiled SystemUI. After that you can recompile the new one and move it to /system/priv-app and set permissions. I was looking at the file and it lists permissions and actions that (might) break the SystemUI as they have things that aren't in the Nexus 6's SystemUI code. I might be able to get this done and send it soon but I'm having problems decompiling both apks, but if anyone wants to try feel to go ahead.

Edit: Apktool is acting up on WIndows and my Linux VM isn't working so I can't do this. If someone else can, please. :)
Just got home, so I'll try this