• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][LOS][11.0][OFFICIAL][olive] crDroid v7.11 for Redmi 8

Search This thread

POQDavid

Aug 14, 2011
about.me
Xiaomi Redmi 8
ive also tried it and it seems true, hopefully the dev can also take note of this

kudos for also simplifying skynet in this release. having tried 7.9 and not shutting down for a full month, lets hope the reliability continues with this and moonlight
So far the smart charging and all works gr8 i used to use a app for that like this is amazing and don't have to even touch the default settings XD already perfect

DwiNovx

Aug 7, 2014
Does this ROM already have a Quick Charge feature when plugged in with the QC3.0 Adapter? because I'm having issues about the charging system on this ROM and I feel it's charging longer than the MIUI ROM. is it because I have changed my kernel to MoonLight Kernel v1.2?

Aviruk Basak

May 21, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi 8
System app Google Calculator update fails, but that's not the funny thing.

### History:
I was on crDroid 7.8 (Android 11) with Google Calculator app installed in system through FlameGApps.

Then I got the crDroid 7.10 update which switched FlameGApps with its own built-in GApps. So I re-flashed FlameGApps.

### The Funny Thing:
The now installed Google Calculator (whose actual package name is com.google.android.calculator) on my app drawer has package name com.android.calculator2 (which is the package name for the AOSP calculator app).

When I try installing com.google.android.calculator, it says App already installed and the installation always fails.

### What I tried:
I've used a combination of find and grep on the Android terminal (with root) to hunt down all files having the name calculator. there exists no such file (or directory), yet the app (with the wrong package name) is installed.

The apps directory should be located in the /system partition.

I'm sure /system was mounted (read-only but mounted).

I've used SD Maid to hunt down app corpses. Again, there were no corpses of the calculator app.

I do not understand what's going on.

ahmetakif616

Jul 7, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi 8
BE3pE0l.png

*** Disclaimer I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:

https://github.com/crdroidandroid/crdroid_features/blob/11.0/README.mkdn

Flashing Instructions:

Pre-installation:

First time installation:
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Format data -> Yes
  • Reboot -> Recovery
  • Wipe dalvik cache, data, cache, system, vendor, internal storage
  • Reboot -> Recovery
  • Install ROM
  • Install GApps, Magisk if needed
  • Wipe dalvik cache
  • Reboot -> System

Update installation:
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Wipe dalvik cache and cache
  • Install ROM
  • If you used Magisk and/or a custom kernel, reinstall them
  • Reboot -> System

Sources:
ROM: https://github.com/crdroidandroid
Kernel: https://github.com/Xiaomi-SDM439-Development/android_kernel_xiaomi_sdm439

Download:
ROM https://crdroid.net/olive
Changelog: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crdroidandroid/android_vendor_crDroidOTA/11.0/changelog_olive.txt

Known issues:
  • Random reboot occurs with some other kernels which doesn't have fixes in kernel wlan driver
  • Carrier video calling and ViLTE

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
crDroid olive Telegram
crDroid Community Telegram
crDroid Updates Channel
Donate to help our team pay server costs
Bro, you do a lot of amazing roms. Can you make an official Pixel Experience rom? I heard there is a need.
Here is the telegram link

Last edited:

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Then I got the crDroid 7.10 update which switched FlameGApps with its own built-in GApps. So I re-flashed FlameGApps.
did you dirty flash the rom + gapps? there were plenty of changes between 7.8-10. did your config have anything weird in it? id suggest a clean install. not sure how well crdroid 7.10 handles but + moonlight kernel im getting better resource management.

installing gapps on an already included gappd rom can cause issues. in your case only calculator bugged out, but have you noticed other things wrong? you might have lots of background conflicts, slowdowns, battery drains faster etc?

most things are better as user apps anyways

Aviruk Basak

May 21, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi 8
did you dirty flash the rom + gapps? there were plenty of changes between 7.8-10. did your config have anything weird in it? id suggest a clean install. not sure how well crdroid 7.10 handles but + moonlight kernel im getting better resource management.

installing gapps on an already included gappd rom can cause issues. in your case only calculator bugged out, but have you noticed other things wrong? you might have lots of background conflicts, slowdowns, battery drains faster etc?

most things are better as user apps anyways
Yes I dirty flashed it.

I didn't have any apparent problems (although after boot up a dialog box says that I've got some internal system issue, and I should contact the manufacturer, which I dismiss).

The device runs fine, and other apps haven't been bugged. No slow down, no crashes.

I ain't gonna clean install for just 1 calculator app.

Last edited:

POQDavid

Aug 14, 2011
about.me
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Yes I dirty flashed it.

I didn't have any apparent problems (although after boot up a dialog box says that I've got some internal system issue, and I should contact the manufacturer, which I dismiss).

The device runs fine, and other apps haven't been bugged. No slow down, no crashes.

I ain't gonna clean install for just 1 calculator app.
An update was just released yesterday that should fix the problem that tells you to contact the manufacturer and also I been using opengapps nano my self from https://opengapps.org/ haven't had any problems might want to use that

Reactions: Aviruk Basak

Aviruk Basak

May 21, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Wierd borders of collapsed notification panel when crDroid Settings -> User Interface -> Rounded corners -> Rounded style for system dialogs is set to extreme.

Other values for this setting uses the default border radius.

Attatched screenshot - marked Blue:

Screenshot_20210927-052405694~2.jpg

escorpiompom

Jun 20, 2016
Hello,

Recently I've switched to a Xiaomi Redmi 8 phone. So I'm looking to do some upgrades.
This ROM seems the most suitable from what I've read.
However, may I ask the community: If you were to decide between installing Xiaomi.eu ROM or this CrDroid one, which rom would you use?
Current Xiaomi.eu stable branch for this phone is at Android 10, while CrDroid is at Android 11.
Not sure if that is really a deciding factor, but it should be nice to hear some experiences from others that have had this phone for a while.

Cheers.

POQDavid

Aug 14, 2011
about.me
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Hello,

Recently I've switched to a Xiaomi Redmi 8 phone. So I'm looking to do some upgrades.
This ROM seems the most suitable from what I've read.
However, may I ask the community: If you were to decide between installing Xiaomi.eu ROM or this CrDroid one, which rom would you use?
Current Xiaomi.eu stable branch for this phone is at Android 10, while CrDroid is at Android 11.
Not sure if that is really a deciding factor, but it should be nice to hear some experiences from others that have had this phone for a while.

Cheers.
I haven't tried Xiaomi.eu but I have to say this ROM is amazing if you can give it a try it has a ton of options if you like customization

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
xiaomi.eu is good if you want a watered down miui experience. but customs are even better if you want a bit more freedom (miui has sketchy practices). of all the roms listed here, id say crdroid is prolly at the top. im a boring type of person btw and like a more boring phone.

i havent tried 9-23 build, but skynet passed by default on 9-13. even though its now failing, stuff still work for me.

escorpiompom

Jun 20, 2016
So I went ahead and tried to flash it. Problems found:

- Reboot into recovery - OK
- Format data - OK
- Reboot - Recovery -OK
- Wipe dalvik cache, data, cache, system, vendor, internal storage - OK
(This step leaves the phone without any OS but I went ahead anyway)
- Reboot -> Recovery - FAIL because there is no OS on the phone, it goes into fastboot loop.

The phone does not respond to vol up + power, it always enters fastboot when it should enter recovery.
There is no way to get it out of fastboot loop other than using Xiami tool and recover by means of an original firmware.

Please help...

Reactions: johndaog

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8

- Format data - OK
- Reboot - Recovery -OK
- Reboot -> Recovery - FAIL because there is no OS on the phone, it goes into fastboot loop.

The phone does not respond to vol up + power, it always enters fastboot when it should enter recovery.
There is no way to get it out of fastboot loop other than using Xiami tool and recover by means of an original firmware.

Please help...
you do need a pc if you can only enter fastboot. try to patch the vbmeta (if you havent), then recovery, then try this method. for sone strange reason some variants dont work with the usual install instructions.
same case to me., just format the data first., then reboot.to recovery .,then wipe dalvic cache,system and vendor., dont reboot.to recovery again.you will be ended.up in fastboot mode., and.you will lose whatever custom recovery you have., just simple.flash your.rom after wiping up.,

POQDavid

Aug 14, 2011
about.me
Xiaomi Redmi 8

- Format data - OK
- Reboot - Recovery -OK

Please help...
Your problem is similar to this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...droid-v7-10-for-redmi-8.4299817/post-85329919 you should flash the vbmeta file and then flash the ROM again should work fine there is a link in that post which should have the file in it

escorpiompom

Jun 20, 2016
Ok I'm a bit further but not running.
After reading page two, some post said not to reboot after the second wipes.
Installed the rom but it said something like "patching unconditionally" and finished a bit too fast.
When rebooting to system, it just entered recovery again.

So the fastboot loop is gone, now I have a recovery loop.
Installed the vbmeta.img via fastboot, then recovery, then wipes and then installed the rom, still ended up in recovery loop.

I'm running out of ideas...
Edit 1:
Tried to install xiaomi.eu rom, but it has the same result. After flashing it returns to TWRP recovery and never boots.

Edit 2:
Installed Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_12.27.2019.zip and behold it booted the Xiaomi.eu rom.
Now on to try crdroid...
This step was never mentioned in the instructions?

Edit 3:
Ok folks, it's 5 a.m. in the morning, I've been at this the whole f*king night, and CrDroid is finally booting.
No time to write the all steps, maybe tomorrow but in short:
- The vbmeta file indeed avoided the fastboot loops, I could now do the all the wipes and still be able to reboot back into recovery
- The recovery loop was solved by flashing DM-Verity zip.
I'll set up my phone now and go to sleep. Maybe I can spare others hours of their time.

Cheers.

Last edited:

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
- The vbmeta file indeed avoided the fastboot loops, I could now do the all the wipes and still be able to reboot back into recovery
- The recovery loop was solved by flashing DM-Verity zip.
I'll set up my phone now and go to sleep. Maybe I can spare others hours of their time.

Cheers.
dm-verify should never be needed, its a loose cannon and can do more harm than good. but those issues are usually related to an unformatted data.

its a good thing youve finished setting up the device though, as those extra zips youve installed should be dead by a full flash

escorpiompom

Jun 20, 2016
Which version of TWRP you are using?
I'm using the one referenced in the first post:
twrp-3.5.2_9-0-olive.img

Also tried Orangefox recovery but got an error "could not map" something like that.
So again back to TWRP, that did actually flash.
After looking at the flashed crdroid ROM, I noticed there is no fingerprint unlock. The option simply isn't there.
Also, I cannot set a pin for the lock screen. Error "screen lock was already changed".

Seems like there is room for improvement.

Cheers.

Top Liked Posts