[ROM] [marlin | Pixel XL] [7.1.2] [LOS-based] **crDroid**v3.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Bryanx86

Apr 8, 2016
👽
Google Pixel 7 Pro
crDroid v3.8.1 for marlin is live and ready to go!

Pixel Specific Info
* You need the NJH47F vendor image
Pixel XL/marlin DOWNLOAD HERE
* Gapps no longer need to be included, thanks to Beans Gapps! Download the default packages here.
* I know you guys like some built-in love, so I have built a crDroid version of Beans Gapps that leaves Gallery and Snap Camera installed. It is otherwise identical. You can get those here. ALL credit goes to @BeansTown106 - all I did was pull out some replacement code. I updated these with new arm-64 apks on 10/16, so required updates on a clean install should be few.
* The issue with 30FPS video saving in Google Camera may still be present. If so, use 60FPS or Snap Camera for video.

Flash procedure:

1) Wipe cache, system, & data (or just cache & system for a dirty flash).
2) Flash ROM
3) Flash TWRP (DO THIS OR YOU WILL LOSE TWRP!)
4) Reboot back into TWRP
5) Flash gapps
6) Flash vendor image
7) Boot up

As always, download link & instructions are in the OP. Dirty flash should be fine, but remember to always clean flash before reporting any problems. Enjoy! :cool:
Also flash the n2 g47 f bootloader as that was the reason I couldn't get to boot coming from Android Oreo. Just FYI. Thank you for the ROM and the future Oreo ROM! If it was in op, I missed it...

Reactions: hokiealumnus

Bryanx86

Apr 8, 2016
👽
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Currently on v3.8, have Magisk 14.2 installed, and have flashed Pico GApps, and every so often when restarting the phone (I have to restart multiple times to get this to not happen) it will get stuck on "Android is starting up"
Instead of rebooting, have you tried to swipe up and put in password again? This fixed the issue for me on the latest build. And it only came up after a reboot when I was trying to unlock with my fingerprint, when the custom option for "fingerprint unlock after reboot" was ticked in "crdroid settings."

Bryanx86

Apr 8, 2016
👽
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Very smooth ROM. I've been on stock Oreo since it came out, and this rom runs faster, and smoother than stock Oreo. Very impressive, can't wait for Oreo crdroid. Thanks again dev:good::)
PS: does anyone know if arise or viper works with this rom? Or which custom kernels are compatible? Not much dialogue in these pixel XL forums to learn stuff from....

Last edited:

hokiealumnus

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
Very smooth ROM. I've been on stock Oreo since it came out, and this rom runs faster, and smoother than stock Oreo. Very impressive, can't wait for Oreo crdroid. Thanks again dev:good::)
PS: does anyone know if arise or viper works with this rom? Or which custom kernels are compatible? Not much dialogue in these pixel XL forums to learn stuff from....
I use ARISE with the magisk compatibility plugin. You first have to run my unsu script then install magisk of course. See the second post. (But ignore the unofficial magisk stuff, the pixels are supported now; use magisk 14.3 beta.)

As for kernel, I cook crDroid for the Pixels with ElementalX built in.

Bryanx86

Apr 8, 2016
👽
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I use ARISE with the magisk compatibility plugin. You first have to run my unsu script then install magisk of course. See the second post. (But ignore the unofficial magisk stuff, the pixels are supported now; use magisk 14.3 beta.)

As for kernel, I cook crDroid for the Pixels with ElementalX built in.
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Going to flash now:victory:

mike489

Jul 19, 2014

What's the battery life like compared to Oreo? I'm getting like 3hrs SOT and I'm not overly satisfied atm

hokiealumnus

Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
What's the battery life like compared to Oreo? I'm getting like 3hrs SOT and I'm not overly satisfied atm

I get about the same on both crDroid and stock Oreo, but my SOT is much higher than yours. On cellular all day (wifi only at home at night) I get 4-4.5 hrs SOT. On WiFI all day at home I get anywhere from 5 to 6 hours SOT, depending on how I use it.

That said, I do not game or do pretty much anything processor intensive. I'm using twitter/XDA/g+/chrome/etc, watching videos, doing that kind of stuff. If you game, I'm not a good example for you.

----------------

Since I'm posting, random side note: I confirmed the 30fps video with Google Camera crashing on save is still present. I have no idea what's up there. The fix from the old 30fps bug is still in the code, so this is different. If you want to take video, do it at 60fps (heh, or 120 fps).

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Quick question for those of you who had stock Oreo and went back. How are you flashing? I tried, yet it never boots. Always hangs on boot animation. I've tried flashing the old vendor as well and still no go.

hokiealumnus

Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
Quick question for those of you who had stock Oreo and went back. How are you flashing? I tried, yet it never boots. Always hangs on boot animation. I've tried flashing the old vendor as well and still no go.

I had to go all the way back. Flash-all, including a full wipe (leave the -w flag), back to the last Nougat. Then fastboot boot twrp RC2, install RC2 and go back to the way I was operating fully back on Nougat.

I was unable to ever get back to a functioning RC2 TWRP/Nougat setup without performing the full wipe, despite several attempts.

Reactions: dictionary

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
I had to go all the way back. Flash-all, including a full wipe (leave the -w flag), back to the last Nougat. Then fastboot boot twrp RC2, install RC2 and go back to the way I was operating fully back on Nougat.

I was unable to ever get back to a functioning RC2 TWRP/Nougat setup without performing the full wipe, despite several attempts.
Long time flasher (since eclair) but finding the Pixels to be interesting, lol. I'm assuming that the 3.1.1 TWRP isn't rc2? Also, I've seen people mentioning flashing stock images to both slot A and slot B. Necessary? Thanks for the reply though, I know I'm off topic. I apologise.

hokiealumnus

Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
Long time flasher (since eclair) but finding the Pixels to be interesting, lol. I'm assuming that the 3.1.1 TWRP isn't rc2? Also, I've seen people mentioning flashing stock images to both slot A and slot B. Necessary? Thanks for the reply though, I know I'm off topic. I apologise.

No need to apologize at all; the marlin forums are slow, and this device is confusing as all get out. It's good to have discussion. :p

Correct, 3.1.1 is not RC2. RC2 is TWRP 3.1.0 RC2. It works with Nougat. I do not know, and have not tried to see, whether 3.1.1 works with the Nougat bootloader. 3.1.1 might work, I really have no idea and haven't tried. I'm erring on the side of caution and sticking with what I know works.

As to flashing to both slots, when switching between Oreo & Nougat, yes, I flash both slots. You can switch slots with "fastboot --set-active=a" (or b, depending on where you currently were). The difference between Oreo & Nougat is that you can get away with moving from Nougat to Oreo removing the -w (thus keeping your files), but you cannot from Oreo to Nougat, at least in my experience.

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
No need to apologize at all; the marlin forums are slow, and this device is confusing as all get out. It's good to have discussion. :p

Correct, 3.1.1 is not RC2. RC2 is TWRP 3.1.0 RC2. It works with Nougat. I do not know, and have not tried to see, whether 3.1.1 works with the Nougat bootloader. 3.1.1 might work, I really have no idea and haven't tried. I'm erring on the side of caution and sticking with what I know works.

As to flashing to both slots, when switching between Oreo & Nougat, yes, I flash both slots. You can switch slots with "fastboot --set-active=a" (or b, depending on where you currently were). The difference between Oreo & Nougat is that you can get away with moving from Nougat to Oreo removing the -w (thus keeping your files), but you cannot from Oreo to Nougat, at least in my experience.
Does it matter which version I run? The latest version I see online is for Deutsche Telekom. Or should I stick with a regular NA version?

hokiealumnus

Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
Does it matter which version I run? The latest version I see online is for Deutsche Telekom. Or should I stick with a regular NA version?

Deutsche is just the last in order on the website. All of the last N builds were the same date (Aug 2017). I run the regular version, and it is what vendor image you'll need for crDroid - NJH47F.

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Deutsche is just the last in order on the website. All of the last N builds were the same date (Aug 2017). I run the regular version, and it is what vendor image you'll need for crDroid - NJH47F.
Amazing! Thank you so much for all your help.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Now to find out how to get rid of your nag screen on every boot, lol. Time to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is crDroid for 5.5" Pixel XL [marlin]
    If you're looking for the 5" Pixel [sailfish], go here.

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today. We're mainly based on LineageOS so use custom kernels compatible with them!

BE3pE0l.png

LineageOS - all mods and features
    StatusBar: Network Traffic
    StatusBar: SU icon toggle
    StatusBar: Ticker
    StatusBar: Hide/Show icons
    StatusBar: BatteryBar customization
    StatusBar: Battery styles
    StatusBar: Tap to Sleep
    StatusBar: Clock styles
    StatusBar: crDroid logo customization
    QuickSettings: Tiles customization
    QuickSettings: Brightness slider toggle
    QuickSettings: Optional brightness icon
    QuickSettings: Vibrate on Touch
    QuickSettings: WiFi easy toggle
    QuickSettings: Bluetooth easy toggle
    QuickSettings: Data easy toggle
    Navigation: Toggle navbar
    Navigation: PIE navigation
    Navigation: DUI - SmartBar / Fling Toggle
    Navigation: Pulse - smart visualization
    Notifications: Power notification controls
    Notifications: Force expanded notifications
    Notifications: Toggle immersive mode messages
    LockScreen: Screen shortcuts
    LockScreen: Toggle longpress for screen shortcuts
    LockScreen: Swipe shortcuts
    LockScreen: Toggle media cover art
    LockScreen: Toggle clock
    LockScreen: Toggle date
    LockScreen: Toggle alarm
    LockScreen: Tap to sleep
    LockScreen: Toggle longpress torch
    LockScreen: Cutomize number of notifications
    LockScreen: Toggle power menu for secure lockscreen
    Recents: Immersive Recents
    Recents: Hidden apps
    Recents: Toggle OmniSwitch as default Recents
    Sound: Toggle screenshot sound
    Sound: Live customization for number of volume steps
    Sound: Less frequent notification sounds
    Miscellaneous: Clock Widget
    Miscellaneous: Toggle suggestions on Settings dashboard
    Miscellaneous: Toggle summaries in Settings
    Miscellaneous: Toggle auto-start music player on headset detection
    Settings/Display: Expanded Desktop customization
    Settings/Sound: Increasing Ringtone
    12 New Quick Settings Tiles including Caffeine mode, Expanded Desktop and Sync.
    Settings/Security: Quick PIN/Password Unlock
    Default sounds from latest Nexus image.
    OMS support.
    Stability and performance improvements.

Always Have a full functional Backup. Just in case!

DOWNLOAD

Vendor image for current build - NJH47F vendor image - DOWNLOAD HERE

GAPPS: Beans Gapps
    -Default Packages (which replace gallery & snap camera with photos & google camera)
    -Custom Packages (which keep gallery & snap camera)

First time installing crDroid to your PixelXL, or coming from another ROM:
    ** Make sure you're running a proper working Recovery (CWM or TWRP)
    1) Copy crDroid & gapps zips to your device
    2) Boot into Recovery
    3) Wipe cache, system, & data (or just cache & system for a dirty flash).
    4) Flash ROM
    5) Flash TWRP ***If you do not do this, you will lose TWRP!***
    6) Reboot back into TWRP
    7) Flash gapps
    8) Flash vendor image
    9) Boot up

Upgrading from earlier version of crDroid:
    1) Copy crDroid & gapps zips to your device
    2) Boot into Recovery
    3) Wipe system and cache
    4) Install ROM.
    5) Install TWRP immediately. ***If you do not do this, you will lose TWRP!***
    6) Reboot back into TWRP
    7) Flash gapps
    8) Flash vendor image
    9) Boot up

Instructions below are for builds before v3.7, which had gapps built in:
    First time installing crDroid to your PixelXL, or coming from another ROM:
    ** Make sure you're running a proper working Recovery (CWM or TWRP)
    1) Copy crDroid zip to your device
    2) Boot into Recovery
    3) Wipe system,data and cache
    4) Install ROM.
    6) Reboot back into TWRP (for it to switch active slots).
    7) Flash Vendor Image
    8) Boot to the ROM, profit!

Upgrading from earlier version of crDroid:
    1) Copy crDroid ZIP to your device
    2) Boot into Recovery
    3) Wipe system and cache
    4) Install ROM.
    6) Reboot back into TWRP (for it to switch active slots).
    7) Flash Vendor Image
    9) Reboot

KNOWN ISSUES
    1) Google camera doesn't save 30fps videos. Use Snap camera, or record 60fps with Google camera.
    2) On all LOS-based ROMs, while the Pixels are recognized as Pixel devices in Photos and it says you have unlimited storage, apparently backing up photos DOES take away from your Drive storage allocation. All I can say is that this is being looked into, but no solution has been found to date.

Aside from that, as far as I can tell there are no longer any bugs! Please report any that you run into, assuming you have tested on a clean install. :good:

NON-BUGS, BUT ITEMS OF INTEREST
    1) Pixel Launcher is included, but I haven't figured out round icons in it yet.
    2) I tried getting live wallpapers to work, but after seeing it would add almost 100 MB to the already big install zip (due to gapps inclusion), I decided against it altogether. You can download an app with them here.

Don't expect any support if you:
    - are not running the included kernel
    - have installed any mods such as Xposed!
    - have modified system files

Thanks to:

- Google
    - LineageOS
    - SlimRoms
    - AOSPA (Paranoid Android)
    - OmniRom
    - NamelessROM
    - @beanstown106 for his hard work on this device, specifically the gapps without which the PixelXL wouldn't be a PixelXL in Google's eyes.
    - @flar2 for his excellent ElementalX kernel, which is used in crDroid for marlin.
    - Many others... (if you're feeling upset being out of the thanks list just send a PM )

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM] [marlin | Pixel XL] [7.1.2] [LOS-based] **crDroid**v3.8.4, ROM for the Google Pixel XL

Contributors
    hokiealumnus, firebird11, neobuddy89, The crDroid Team
    Source Code: https://github.com/crdroidandroid

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: crDroid v3.1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-05-09
    Current Beta Version: crDroid v2.2
    Beta Release Date: 2017-02-28

Created 2017-03-01
    Last Updated 2017-12-13
    crDroid v3.8.3 for marlin is live and ready to go!

Short crDroid 3.8.3 Release Notes:

Bugfix: Fix Poweramp crash bug
    Other bugfixes (See changelog in Settings/crDroid Settings/About crDroid/Changelog)
    Update to November security patch

Note some devices have a bug where video recording errors when it tries to save 30fps video with Google Camera. 60fps with Google Camera seems ok and the included Snap Camera isn't affected.

As always, download link & instructions are in the OP. Dirty flash should be fine, but remember to always clean flash before reporting any problems. Enjoy! :good:
    crDroid v3.8.4 is Up!

crDroid v3.8.4 for marlin is live and ready to go!

Update to December security patch.
    Whatever else LOSS added.
    No crDroid changes to my knowledge.

Note some devices have a bug where video recording errors when it tries to save 30fps video with Google Camera. 60fps with Google Camera seems ok and the included Snap Camera isn't affected. This post is a copy/paste. If your device is not capable of 60 fps, then obviously 60 fps won't work for you.

Full disclosure - I am on stock 8.1 right now and haven't had time to personally install and test this. We haven't had any complaints from those that have though. :)

As always, download link & instructions are in the OP. Dirty flash should be fine, but remember to always clean flash before reporting any problems. Enjoy!
    crDroid v3.0 is Up!

crDroid v3.0 for Pixel XL (marlin) is live and ready to go! Per our dev, neobuddy89:

And just when you thought we are gone....

crDroid 3.0 source is ready and roms will roll out pretty soon!

What's new:
    * 7.1.2 upgrade (April security patched in.)
    * Entirely refreshed projects - fixed minor glitches.
    * Custom carrier label customizations.
    * New Ambient display customizations using sensors. (This is hardware dependent; works on most devices)
    * Improved weather placement in status bar.
    * AOSP recents: Membar customizations.
    * Improved PULSE in smart bar.
    * Improved AdAway - now can be launched via crDroid Settings > Misc.
    * Switched back to LOS stock root. To enable: Dev Options > Manage Root.
    * New default material wallpapers.

That's it for now. Recommended to go for clean flash this time! We believe delivering best out there and so as it takes little more time than expected to bring you what's promised. Cheers.
    :)

Changes specific to our device:
    * You need the N2G47E vendor image - DOWNLOAD HERE
    * With the change back to LOS stock root, if you want to use Magisk, you can download the un-SU script for Pixels in the 2nd post, then proceed with the Magisk installation as previously. Totally up to you, just don't forget to re-flash TWRP if you flash Magisk! Magisk won't be supported directly from here out, though I do plan on using it myself.

To my knowledge, the LOS Google Camera bug is still present (where it crashes trying to save 30 FPS videos; 60 FPS works fine). Photos are as they should be.

Gapps still have to be included for now, and I have updated them. Required updates should be few.

As always, download link & instructions are in the OP. Clean flash is strongly recommended due to the switch to 7.1.2. If you choose to play with fire, remember to always clean flash before reporting any problems. Enjoy! :cool:
    Passing SafetyNet and/or playing PokemonGO with LOS su

This is a note to folks who play (or like me have kid(s) that play) PokemonGO (PoGo) on their devices. Since root is built-in, by default SafetyNet won't pass with crDroid, hence no PoGo. As an added bonus, since the kernel we use on this build is SELinux Enforcing, this will also allow crDroid install to completely pass SafetyNet!

All you have to do is boot to recovery and flash the unsu-los-pixel.zip.
    If you want root back, it's as easy as flashing restoresu-los-pixel.zip.

Download both files from AFH here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=158048

SEE IMPORTANT NOTES BELOW!

Note 1) Through no intentional act of my own, this will sometimes trigger TWRP to boot to the wrong slot. If your phone doesn't boot, or boots back to recovery, just go to the Reboot menu, select the opposite slot and reboot system.

Note 2) This will -only- work on the Pixel & the Pixel XL. Pixels are weird and nest parts of the /system/ directory in /system/system/, hence the need for me to make these for Pixels only.

Note 3) I have tested this on crDroid, but in theory it will work on any LOS-based ROM, becuase they all should implement built-in root the same way.

What flashing this actually does

What this mod does could not be any easier. The un-root script takes the two su files required for root - in /system/system/bin/ and /system/system/xbin/ - and renames them to "s_u". The restore root script renames both files back to "su". That's it. You can do this manually by mounting system and using the file explorer in TWRP, but that takes an annoyingly long time relative to just flashing these.

We actually have a developer, @bhb27 , on the crDroid team that has an app that allows you to pass SafetyNet, but we are having trouble actively mounting system while the phone is booted. If we get that sorted, this won't be necessary, but in the mean time this is the quickest way I can come up with.[/hide]

---

To use Magisk, just flash the remove SU file above, then flash Magisk. Magisk info below.

Instructions for Upgrading Magisk
    The ever astute goodwin_c has kindly updated Magisk for Pixels to the new version 12.0!
    Ok fellas! Here we go!
    Fresh, still hot, update for Magisk. 12.0 this time
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1xZ4VKT4JKZUFhVUlk0enhBVFk
    Here are his instructions for cleaning the old version and installing the new one. You will lose root if you don't do this.
    ...for those who installed previous 11.6, here is guide what to do:
    - boot to TWRP
    - mount DATA and SYSTEM partitions
    - using adb or embedded terminal, remove /data/magisk folder, /data/magisk.img file, /system/sbin_orig folder if exists, /system/magisk folder if exists
    - replash RR and TWRP
    - reboot TWRP (once again to recovery)
    - install updated Magisk package + TWRP
    - boot to system and enjoy properly working Magisk Root :)

All credit for this great work goes to @goodwin_c !! :good: