[ROM][NEWBL] My old stuff v0.1 [CM10][4.1], last updated [2014-09-08]

Search This thread

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
Hello everybody! :)

Sorry for the huge delay of releasing this stuff - although it only got a little better. ;) Consider this as my last contribution to this forum as I won't use the LG Optimus 2X as my daily driver anymore - starting from the next days the come. The sealed "Sony Xperia Z1 Compact" is lying for about a month now on my desk, because I didn't want to carry it with me during my holidays. It also took so long, because I have screwed up quite a few things on the last zip files I've created. Nevertheless... see this thread as my personal "goodbye" ROM.

Most of this stuff is based on pengus77's work, kudos, greetings and huge thanks to him for all of his work! And as we all know that stuff is based on CyanogenMod (so thanks also fly out to the whole dev team, especially Ricardo Cerqueira) and would not be possible without Linux (kudos to all people contributing to it and to the front man, Linux Torvalds).

Here it goes...

Do not try to flash this ROM when you are on the old bootloader! This won't work and support for it is not planned!

I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATA LOSS OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICES. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE USING THE FILES!!!

WHO SHOULD INSTALL THIS ROM?

If you want to be on the bleeding edge - avoid it completely. Period. I have created and used several "evolutions" or "versions" of this ROM over a year now, because I want to have a stable phone with every bit working out of the box... and the closest one to this state was the CM10 of pengus77. Kudos grand maester pengus! :)
I was nearly satisfied with version 20130106, but especially versions 20130208 and 20130514 caused a few hot reboots and sometimes also longer device reboots. Then there was also the problem of the Launcher not residing in the memory (i.e. if you press the home button the phone needs to reload the launcher and for a couple of seconds no icons are there and so on). That's why I've chosen 20130106 as ROM base, backported some changes and configured / modified the ROM how I liked it. Still interested? Then read on...

PREREQUISITES:

* An external SD Card (I'm not kidding!)
* New Bootloader
* Clockworkmod Recovery (recommended version: v6.0.2.5), the steps above have not been tested with TWRP (consider this as a "not supported, but it might work")!

If one of the last two requirements have not been met, see the following thread (with grand maester spyrosk's tool it's easily possible to switch from the old to the new bootloader and also to flash CWM): [TOOL] All-In-One ToolKit (by spyrosk)

LIST OF INCLUDED FILES:

Code:
PASSWORD: forxda
0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
1-ed_nw-cm-10-20130106-UNOFFICIAL-p990-newbl-ver5pub.zip
2-gapps-jb-20121011-rmTalk.zip
3-kk-exp-20130505-121-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip
3-kk-exp-20130727-126-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip
3-kowalski-kernel-100p5-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip

SHORT EXPLANATION OF THE FILES:

* 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip: It wipes system (ext4), cache (ext3) and clears the dalvik-cache on data! Short story: Use this file if you are coming from any of pengus77's CM10 ROMs or you want to reflash this ROM without losing the data.
* 0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip: It wipes system and data (both ext4) and cache (ext3) Short story: Use this if you are already on the new bootloader and you want a clean install of this ROM.
** Long story of both previous files: See this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1414440
* 1-ed_nw-cm-10-20130106-UNOFFICIAL-p990-newbl-ver5pub.zip: The fifth release (ver5) of the public version of the ROM. It's massively edited and doesn't wipe anything (nw). (See the changelog for any changes made to pengus77's version.)
* 2-gapps-jb-20121011-rmTalk.zip: The recommended gapps (=Google Apps) package without the Talk.apk (rmTalk), source: goo.im
* 3-k*-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip's: Three versions of pengus77's kernels I've used most. Currently I use the 126 version, which I also recommend to everybody else, who want's to try this "stuff". Last but not least: The rmKowMgrApp of course stands for "removed Kowalski Manager App". If you want to use any other pengus kernel with this ROM, you should remove the Kowalski Manager App as well from the kernel.
** As I already hear most people scream regarding the last sentence a further explanation of this: pengus77's kernels always come with the famous Kowalski Manager App (made by wfd). Of course... once a newer version of the app was released and you want to re-try the older kernel, but keep the new Manager app... this is NOT possible. That's why I've always removed ALL of the apps from the kernels, because I see this as the ROM's responsibility - not a kernel one. Of course you couple then the ROM together with the Kowalski Kernel, but without this latter kernel our P990 is crap anyway... so, who cares? :)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Code:
1. Download the *.7z file from a mirror below and extract it with the following PASSWORD: forxda
2. Place the files anywhere on your /sdcard/
3. Reboot into CWM recovery
4. Installation procedure:
* Flash the files in the correct order starting from zero (0) to three (3).
* Beware which files from the zeroes you use, because the full_wipe will clear your data whereas the easy_upgrade_wipe won't do that.
* If you are unsure which files from the threes you use, stick with the 126 version for now.
5. done :)
6. Reboot and have fun! ;) As always: Warning, the first boot might take a while...

CHANGELOG:

Code:
[U]2014-09-08:[/U] Added two attachements to this thread, which make it possible to swap
the SDcards (use [b]ext1st[/b] if you want the external card to be your first card [default
for this ROM] or [b]int1st[/b] if you prefer it the other way around.

[U]2014-08-07:[/U] My old stuff v0.1

+ CM10 ROM: First public ROM release, the following changes have been made to pengus77's 20130106 version (Lights Fest):
- [color=red]changed the services.jar that the Launcher resides in memory[/color]
- swapped sdcard and sdcard1, so an external sd card is mandatory when trying this ROM
- added "telephony.test.ignore.nitz=true" to build.prop
- removed "format(...)" from updater_script, either the full_wipe or the easy_upgrade_wipe have to be used
- removed 240p videos
- removed superuser.apk and replaced it with the supersu.apk and the corresponding su binary
- replaced roboto's font with the ubuntu font
- included a modded Mms.apk for nicer smileys and also included two CM10 skins (AlphaBlueMod and Resistance) with the same modded smileys
- updated apollo.apk to newest version
- included the following well known apps: KowalskiManager.apk, newest (to date) TricksterMod.apk, QMemobin.apk and PDroid_Release.apk
- [strike]better defaults for Kowalski Manager App[/strike]
- added the following other apks to /system/app: BatteryBar.apk, FDroid.apk, FasterGPS.apk, RealCalc.apk and the best app ever: Tricorder.apk
- last but not least... added the following stuff of pengus77's later ROM releases (i.e. 20130208 and 2013014):
* updated wpa supplicant 8
* updated dhcp daemon
* added iwconfig/iwlist
* added alsa_amixer / alsa_ctl / alsa_aplay
* added libjpeg-turbo from Linaro Android
* enabled Purging of Assets in performance -> memory menu

+ CM10only gapps:
- removed talk.apk (-rmTalk)

+ Kowalski kernel(s):
- removed KowalskiManager (-rmKowMgrApp)

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1) Recommended basebands are... either v30a or v30b. I still can't decide which one works better, but I'm using v30b again for a few months now and I'm quite happy with that.

2) If you use a whole lot of apps, I would increase the /data partition to 2GB, which can be done through spyrosk's great All-In-One Tool.

3) If you have ever flashed a su660 baseband after switching to the new bootloader I urge you to clear the calibration data (I was able to fix the 3g->wifi->3g transition changes with that and it also reduced the battery usage of the phone). Read more in the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2075564

4) The matching blue color for Resistance's CM skin is in hex: #078982 (I've used this for the BatteryBar's blue.)

DOWNLOAD LINK(S):

http://rapidgator.net/file/e2da96d561d7b9a51b5fcf4c43563a5e/my_old_stuff_v0.1.7z.html
http://www.tusfiles.net/xuc1g9yvusv2 (important note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54688085&postcount=8)
Bytes: 271905519, MD5: 169089dc74cd9f7ec484f1926c990ca1, SHA1: 77e885847062d6b50a8a8dcb8332caa5799e6bb5

CREDITS:

* pengus77
* spyrosk
* tonyp
* imperticus
* wkpark
* wfd
* rafabad
* the whole CM team (especially RC)
* pvyParts, ock, jasonevil, Chainfire, Ciaran Gultnieks, Moonblink, arararagi, Quartic Software, Jack Palevich, svyat and bigeyes0x0

Have fun! :)

Greetings,
dr4go

Attachments

• 4-p990-ext1st.zip
    123.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 4-p990-int1st.zip
    123.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
KNOWN BUGS:
- Unfortunately the better defaults for the KowalskiManager App don't stick. This was my last change to the ROM and the app does not seem to like the permissions to be set to owner and group system. As I have no clue which uid gets applied for the app I don't know how to easily fix this.
(nevertheless... see the attached Screenshots for the defaults I recommend)

INTERESTING FINDINGS:
- The P990 is capable of handling 128GB microsd cards (for those, who would need to buy a bigger sd card). I have bought it for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, which is able to handle it as well.
(see the attached screenshot as a proof, made on the P990)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-08-00-57-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-08-00-57-09.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 437
  • Screenshot_2014-09-08-00-57-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-08-00-57-45.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot_2014-07-29-07-44-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-29-07-44-17.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Reactions: Gainer5

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
DONATIONS:

Regarding donations thank you, but keep in mind, that tonyp, pengus77 or spyrosk did a lot more than me for our beloved phone... :)

Last edited:

dietoro

Oct 28, 2011
modena
Thanks for the hint with tusfiles. Updated the op with the new mirror. As I don't have much time tonight I won't edit / change anything else as previously planned... I just "fixed" the wrong date, because the thread was posted after twelve o'clock. ;)

thanks it works fine, but I'd like to give a warning for the download:
Obviously avoid to let the mark on
" [x] -> [ ] " Use our download manager and get recommended downloads
because the thusfiles server downloader is a virus, you must remove tick in the box in:
" [x] ->[ ]Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" otherwise you will get a trojan.

Last edited:

dcaan

Jun 29, 2012
Banda Aceh
because the thusfiles server downloader is a virus, you must remove tick in the box in:
" [x] ->[ ]Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" otherwise you will get a trojan.

Thanks Man, that was useful
I

Last edited:

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
Loving this rom! But i miss quick settings...

Oh goodness... I completely forgot to reply to this message - sorry for that. As "quick settings" is a feature of Android 4.2 there is no easy way to bring it to Android 4.1 and as I mentioned: this ROM is designed to just work - so adding a crippled version of quick settings won't happen.

@ everybody: I finally found the time to finish the op. Now everything should be correct and in place. Just a hint: See the second post of the thread, which may be useful for some of you out there. ;)

Consider this as: job done. And my last regular appearance in the LG subforum... concluding this era by quoting Linus' words: "nVidia, F*** YOU!" :D

Last edited:

droide_volante

Dec 9, 2012
Napoli
INTERESTING FINDINGS:
- The P990 is capable of handling 128GB microsd cards (for those, who would need to buy a bigger sd card). I have bought it for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, which is able to handle it as well.
(see the attached screenshot as a proof, made on the P990)

Really? our p990 can reads 128 gb sd card?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody! :)

Sorry for the huge delay of releasing this stuff - although it only got a little better. ;) Consider this as my last contribution to this forum as I won't use the LG Optimus 2X as my daily driver anymore - starting from the next days the come. The sealed "Sony Xperia Z1 Compact" is lying for about a month now on my desk, because I didn't want to carry it with me during my holidays. It also took so long, because I have screwed up quite a few things on the last zip files I've created. Nevertheless... see this thread as my personal "goodbye" ROM.

Most of this stuff is based on pengus77's work, kudos, greetings and huge thanks to him for all of his work! And as we all know that stuff is based on CyanogenMod (so thanks also fly out to the whole dev team, especially Ricardo Cerqueira) and would not be possible without Linux (kudos to all people contributing to it and to the front man, Linux Torvalds).

Here it goes...

Do not try to flash this ROM when you are on the old bootloader! This won't work and support for it is not planned!

I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATA LOSS OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICES. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE USING THE FILES!!!

WHO SHOULD INSTALL THIS ROM?

If you want to be on the bleeding edge - avoid it completely. Period. I have created and used several "evolutions" or "versions" of this ROM over a year now, because I want to have a stable phone with every bit working out of the box... and the closest one to this state was the CM10 of pengus77. Kudos grand maester pengus! :)
    I was nearly satisfied with version 20130106, but especially versions 20130208 and 20130514 caused a few hot reboots and sometimes also longer device reboots. Then there was also the problem of the Launcher not residing in the memory (i.e. if you press the home button the phone needs to reload the launcher and for a couple of seconds no icons are there and so on). That's why I've chosen 20130106 as ROM base, backported some changes and configured / modified the ROM how I liked it. Still interested? Then read on...

PREREQUISITES:

* An external SD Card (I'm not kidding!)
    * New Bootloader
    * Clockworkmod Recovery (recommended version: v6.0.2.5), the steps above have not been tested with TWRP (consider this as a "not supported, but it might work")!

If one of the last two requirements have not been met, see the following thread (with grand maester spyrosk's tool it's easily possible to switch from the old to the new bootloader and also to flash CWM): [TOOL] All-In-One ToolKit (by spyrosk)

LIST OF INCLUDED FILES:

Code:
    PASSWORD: forxda
    0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
    0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
    1-ed_nw-cm-10-20130106-UNOFFICIAL-p990-newbl-ver5pub.zip
    2-gapps-jb-20121011-rmTalk.zip
    3-kk-exp-20130505-121-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip
    3-kk-exp-20130727-126-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip
    3-kowalski-kernel-100p5-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip

SHORT EXPLANATION OF THE FILES:

* 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip: It wipes system (ext4), cache (ext3) and clears the dalvik-cache on data! Short story: Use this file if you are coming from any of pengus77's CM10 ROMs or you want to reflash this ROM without losing the data.
    * 0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip: It wipes system and data (both ext4) and cache (ext3) Short story: Use this if you are already on the new bootloader and you want a clean install of this ROM.
    ** Long story of both previous files: See this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1414440
    * 1-ed_nw-cm-10-20130106-UNOFFICIAL-p990-newbl-ver5pub.zip: The fifth release (ver5) of the public version of the ROM. It's massively edited and doesn't wipe anything (nw). (See the changelog for any changes made to pengus77's version.)
    * 2-gapps-jb-20121011-rmTalk.zip: The recommended gapps (=Google Apps) package without the Talk.apk (rmTalk), source: goo.im
    * 3-k*-newbl-rmKowMgrApp.zip's: Three versions of pengus77's kernels I've used most. Currently I use the 126 version, which I also recommend to everybody else, who want's to try this "stuff". Last but not least: The rmKowMgrApp of course stands for "removed Kowalski Manager App". If you want to use any other pengus kernel with this ROM, you should remove the Kowalski Manager App as well from the kernel.
    ** As I already hear most people scream regarding the last sentence a further explanation of this: pengus77's kernels always come with the famous Kowalski Manager App (made by wfd). Of course... once a newer version of the app was released and you want to re-try the older kernel, but keep the new Manager app... this is NOT possible. That's why I've always removed ALL of the apps from the kernels, because I see this as the ROM's responsibility - not a kernel one. Of course you couple then the ROM together with the Kowalski Kernel, but without this latter kernel our P990 is crap anyway... so, who cares? :)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Code:
    1. Download the *.7z file from a mirror below and extract it with the following PASSWORD: forxda
    2. Place the files anywhere on your /sdcard/
    3. Reboot into CWM recovery
    4. Installation procedure:
    * Flash the files in the correct order starting from zero (0) to three (3).
    * Beware which files from the zeroes you use, because the full_wipe will clear your data whereas the easy_upgrade_wipe won't do that.
    * If you are unsure which files from the threes you use, stick with the 126 version for now.
    5. done :)
    6. Reboot and have fun! ;) As always: Warning, the first boot might take a while...

CHANGELOG:

Code:
    [U]2014-09-08:[/U] Added two attachements to this thread, which make it possible to swap
    the SDcards (use [b]ext1st[/b] if you want the external card to be your first card [default
    for this ROM] or [b]int1st[/b] if you prefer it the other way around.

[U]2014-08-07:[/U] My old stuff v0.1

+ CM10 ROM: First public ROM release, the following changes have been made to pengus77's 20130106 version (Lights Fest):
    - [color=red]changed the services.jar that the Launcher resides in memory[/color]
    - swapped sdcard and sdcard1, so an external sd card is mandatory when trying this ROM
    - added "telephony.test.ignore.nitz=true" to build.prop
    - removed "format(...)" from updater_script, either the full_wipe or the easy_upgrade_wipe have to be used
    - removed 240p videos
    - removed superuser.apk and replaced it with the supersu.apk and the corresponding su binary
    - replaced roboto's font with the ubuntu font
    - included a modded Mms.apk for nicer smileys and also included two CM10 skins (AlphaBlueMod and Resistance) with the same modded smileys
    - updated apollo.apk to newest version
    - included the following well known apps: KowalskiManager.apk, newest (to date) TricksterMod.apk, QMemobin.apk and PDroid_Release.apk
    - [strike]better defaults for Kowalski Manager App[/strike]
    - added the following other apks to /system/app: BatteryBar.apk, FDroid.apk, FasterGPS.apk, RealCalc.apk and the best app ever: Tricorder.apk
    - last but not least... added the following stuff of pengus77's later ROM releases (i.e. 20130208 and 2013014):
    * updated wpa supplicant 8
    * updated dhcp daemon
    * added iwconfig/iwlist
    * added alsa_amixer / alsa_ctl / alsa_aplay
    * added libjpeg-turbo from Linaro Android
    * enabled Purging of Assets in performance -> memory menu

+ CM10only gapps:
    - removed talk.apk (-rmTalk)

+ Kowalski kernel(s):
    - removed KowalskiManager (-rmKowMgrApp)

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1) Recommended basebands are... either v30a or v30b. I still can't decide which one works better, but I'm using v30b again for a few months now and I'm quite happy with that.

2) If you use a whole lot of apps, I would increase the /data partition to 2GB, which can be done through spyrosk's great All-In-One Tool.

3) If you have ever flashed a su660 baseband after switching to the new bootloader I urge you to clear the calibration data (I was able to fix the 3g->wifi->3g transition changes with that and it also reduced the battery usage of the phone). Read more in the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2075564

4) The matching blue color for Resistance's CM skin is in hex: #078982 (I've used this for the BatteryBar's blue.)

DOWNLOAD LINK(S):

http://rapidgator.net/file/e2da96d561d7b9a51b5fcf4c43563a5e/my_old_stuff_v0.1.7z.html
    http://www.tusfiles.net/xuc1g9yvusv2 (important note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54688085&postcount=8)
    Bytes: 271905519, MD5: 169089dc74cd9f7ec484f1926c990ca1, SHA1: 77e885847062d6b50a8a8dcb8332caa5799e6bb5

CREDITS:

* pengus77
    * spyrosk
    * tonyp
    * imperticus
    * wkpark
    * wfd
    * rafabad
    * the whole CM team (especially RC)
    * pvyParts, ock, jasonevil, Chainfire, Ciaran Gultnieks, Moonblink, arararagi, Quartic Software, Jack Palevich, svyat and bigeyes0x0

Have fun! :)

Greetings,
    dr4go
    Loving this rom! But i miss quick settings...

Oh goodness... I completely forgot to reply to this message - sorry for that. As "quick settings" is a feature of Android 4.2 there is no easy way to bring it to Android 4.1 and as I mentioned: this ROM is designed to just work - so adding a crippled version of quick settings won't happen.

@ everybody: I finally found the time to finish the op. Now everything should be correct and in place. Just a hint: See the second post of the thread, which may be useful for some of you out there. ;)

Consider this as: job done. And my last regular appearance in the LG subforum... concluding this era by quoting Linus' words: "nVidia, F*** YOU!" :D
    Thanks for the hint with tusfiles. Updated the op with the new mirror. As I don't have much time tonight I won't edit / change anything else as previously planned... I just "fixed" the wrong date, because the thread was posted after twelve o'clock. ;)

Yes, the p990 is really capable to read 128gb micro sd cards, which surprised me as well. :)
    zyppyshare or www.tusfiles.net are better

Downloading now... 3 hours from rapidgator :silly:

Download failed... too much time to download

can you upload on www.tusfiles.net or other file server, because rapidgator sucks. :crying:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone