[ROM][Note9][10.0] iodéOS = LineageOS 17.1 + MicroG + adblocker [07/03/2021]

Search This thread

Rubennino

Jan 15, 2012
Hi,
not yet possible but we will add blocklists in march, and the possibility to tweak your own hosts in the following months. You can also join our beta tester group if you want to get updates a little sooner than official OTAs
Where can I apply for beta testing?

FerretallicA

Jul 15, 2005
=== New Update : 07/03/2021 ===

Available as OTA (see OP)​

If I update via OTP with the iodeOS updater app will I need to flash Magisk and the no-encrypt patch?

i.e. when it's installing will I need to keep an eagle-eyed watch and make sure it doesn't boot into the OS after updating until I've booted into recovery to apply the no-encrypt patch? Because if I need to do that anyway I might as well download manually and install via recovery. But it would be nice to be able to use OTA updates if it doesn't encrypt my storage each time.

Reactions: Rubennino

FerretallicA

Jul 15, 2005
For anyone else interested in the OTA process, when you update through the iodeOS update app it will download the update image and show a prompt to continue. It then reboots in recovery mode, automatically runs the installer script and automatically reboots at the end. There was something about magisk.d in the installer logs but I wasn't prepared for that and it rebooted before I could get a photo.

I caught it in time to make sure it rebooted into recovery again so I could apply the no-encrypt patch to be on the safe side. Rebooted into OS... everything looks good. Magisk is still installed and working which is good but I'm guessing it's because of it installs itself as a service versus simply patching a file. I would still err on the side of caution and make sure you re-apply any patches like disabling full storage encryption after the update and before booting into the OS again.

The main new feature of interest to me in this one was the preinstalled app manager, since I had to reflash a few times when trying to debloat with other methods. It was easy enough to find ("Settings > Apps and notifications > Preinstalled apps"). I started small by removing the default browser (which is one of the things I couldn't safely remove via other methods) and restarted. It booted up again fine and the stock browser app was removed :D

All in all, I'm once again very impressed with this and would eagerly recommend it to anyone who is willing to give up some of the niceties of a Touchwiz-based ROM for a much lighter weight and more privacy-respecting alternative.

Suggestion for future updates: if you could add a prompt to the update recovery script (e.g. "Update complete - press OK to reboot") it would be really nice.

Reactions: Rubennino

Rubennino

Jan 15, 2012
Flashed the latest version fresh without magisk and all I can say is that I'm very impressed by the quality and customization made for this rom. I dont feel the need to use magisk since the rom is already tweaked to perfection out of the box.

CSM Fol

Mar 6, 2019
I can't even install this ROM. I just keep getting an Error 7 whenever I flash this.

Device variant is the N960F/DS by the way.

imjms737

Mar 30, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If anyone else wants to get their Note 9 up and running with this ROM with minimal hunting around, here's what I'd suggest (assuming coming from a stock firmware). You will end up with iode + Magisk + no 'data' encryption (so for example you can still access your Data partition from recovery).

You will need:
and also a PC for running the Odin software.

Summary of install steps
  • Update phone to latest official firmware

• Restart phone in bootloader mode and flash TWRP with Odin. If you've never done this before there is a decent guide here: https://www.droidthunder.com/install-twrp-recovery-on-samsung

• Restart phone in Recovery mode (TWRP).

• Use Wipe -> Format to completely wipe the existing Data partition.

• Copy the iode, Magisk and 'disable forced encryption' zip files to your phone. Then from TWRP install them in order of iode, Magisk and "Disable DmVerity ForceEncrypt". Do not restart the device in between each step.
This is incredibly helpful, thanks. I flashed this ROM yesterday to replace the now-dropped official LOS 17.1 on my Note9, but I didn't flash the "Disable DmVerity ForceEncrypt" after flashing iode. I had kept the encryption in TWRP back when I was using LineageOS, and even though I got an error during the OTA update process, the updates would somehow still install with no issues.

Do you happen to know if I can skip flashing disable force encrypt and keep my system updated like I did during my Lineage days? Or is it better to play it safe and make sure to disable force encrypt before I update? And if I do need to flash the disable force encrypt file, would I need to re-flash and re-start the setup process for my phone?

DudeDelu

Jan 24, 2013
Super stable Rom with fully functional microG integration right from the first start. Running 1.1 for over a week w/o a single reboot and decent battery life. Keep up the splendid work.

ACC18

Dec 7, 2014
Wow. This is great ROM. Should update to LOS 18.1 when it available and microg support it. Keep it up Dev. Thanks for this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone else wants to get their Note 9 up and running with this ROM with minimal hunting around, here's what I'd suggest (assuming coming from a stock firmware). You will end up with iode + Magisk + no 'data' encryption (so for example you can still access your Data partition from recovery).

You will need:
    and also a PC for running the Odin software.

Summary of install steps
    • Update phone to latest official firmware

• Restart phone in bootloader mode and flash TWRP with Odin. If you've never done this before there is a decent guide here: https://www.droidthunder.com/install-twrp-recovery-on-samsung

• Restart phone in Recovery mode (TWRP).

• Use Wipe -> Format to completely wipe the existing Data partition.

• Copy the iode, Magisk and 'disable forced encryption' zip files to your phone. Then from TWRP install them in order of iode, Magisk and "Disable DmVerity ForceEncrypt". Do not restart the device in between each step.
    === New Update : 07/03/2021 ===

Available as OTA (see OP)​
    iode_20174.png

Introduction

iodéOS is a privacy-focused operating system powered by LineageOS and based on the Android 10 mobile platform. iodéOS aims at protecting the user's privacy with a built-in adblocker and by freeing the smartphone from snitches.

The objectives in the conception of this ROM are threefold:

1. To keep the stability and security level of LineageOS, by minimizing the modifications made to the system. Apart the system modifications required by the adblocker, we mainly only added a few useful options commonly found in other custom ROMs, made some cosmetic changes, modified a few default settings to prevent data leaks to Google servers.
    2. To ease a quick adoption of this ROM by new users. We especially target users that are concerned by the protection of their privacy, but are not reluctant to still use inquisitive apps like Google ones. We thus included MicroG as well as a coherent set of default apps (all open source, with one exception), and simplified the initial setup of the system. Particularly, an initialization of MicroG has been made with GCM notifications allowed by default, a privacy-friendly network location provider (DéjàVu) pre-selected, as well as Nominatim Geocoder.
    3. To provide a new and powerful way of blocking ads, malwares, data leaks of all kinds to many intrusive servers. We are developing an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app). Compared to some other well-known adblockers, this has the advantages of:
      • Avoiding to lock the VPN for that use. You can even use another adblocker that uses VPN technology alongside our blocker.
      • Being independent of the kind of DNS server used by the system or set by an independent app: classical DNS on UDP port 53 or any other one, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over HTTPS (DoH), ..., as we capture the DNS requests before they are transmitted to the system function that emits the DNS request. What we do not support, is DoH when it is natively built into applications, i.e. when an app communicates directly with a DoH server, without asking name resolution to the system. It would require to decrypt HTTPS packets between such an app and the DoH server, which may create a big security hole.
      • Precisely mapping DNS requests and network packets to the Android apps that emitted (or received) them.
      • Deciding which apps have a filtered network usage (by default, all apps), and which ones can communicate with blacklisted servers.
      The iodé blocker is already perfectly usable, although still in its infancy. Many features are lacking, like the possibility of clearing statistics (for specific apps or all), forbidding the collection of statistics for some apps, personalizing the blacklist, etc. We are actively developing it, and new functionalities will be regularly added.

Features

Changes in LineageOS to prevent data leaks:
    • Default DNS server: Google's DNS replaced by Quad9's 'unblocked' servers.
    • A-GPS: supl.google.com replaced by supl.vodafone.com.
    • Captive portal login: connectivitycheck.gstatic.com replaced by captiveportal.kuketz.de for connectivity check.
    • Dialer: Google default option replaced by OpenStreetMap for phone number lookup.

Pre-installed apps:
    • MicroG core apps: GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore, maps API.
    • NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend (default), MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend.
    • App stores : FDroid (with F-Droid Privileged Extension) and Aurora Store.
    • Browser: our own fork of Firefox (with Qwant as default search engine and telemetry disabled) instead of Lineage’s default browser Jelly.
    • SMS: QKSMS instead of Lineage's default SMS app.
    • Maps/navigation: Magic Earth GPS & Navigation (the only one free but not open source).
    • Keyboard: OpenBoard instead of AOSP keyboard.
    • PDF: Pdf Viewer Plus.
    • Personnal notes: Carnet.
    • {Ad/Malware/Data leak}-blocker: iodé.
    • News: to keep users informed about our developments, as well as a FAQ.

Pre-included FDroid repository:

The apps that we tweak or develop (microG services, the browser based on Firefox, the iodé blocker app, the News app, ...) are available through a repository that we included in FDroid (check the "Apps for iodéOS" category). For this purpose and to avoid name conflicts of some apps, we also had to make a few changes in FDroid.

Useful options from other custom ROMs:
    • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached, to protect battery health).
    • Fingerprint vibration toggle.
    • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps.

Installation Instructions

To download and flash our latest build, see https://gitlab.com/iode/ota.
    You can also find here direct links to the latest builds.

Supported devices

Sources

Bug Reporting

You can post a message in this thread or (preferred) open an issue here.

Credits

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit their Wiki for more details.
    This ROM would be nothing without the tremendous work made on MicroG, and all the other open source apps that we included. We are very grateful to their authors.

Contributors

Direct contributors: @iodeOS, @vince31fr
    Indirect contributors (too numerous to list): All the people that contributed to the device tree, to LineageOS, and to the included open source apps.

Sponsoring

You can help in the development of this ROM by paying us a coffee here: https://paypal.me/iodeOS.

Screenshots

Screenshot_20201202-095321_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20201202-095832_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132938_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132903_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132849_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200629-132232_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200627-154642_iod%C3%A9.png
    Screenshot_20200627-154650_iod%C3%A9.png
    Downloads : iodéOS

• 07/03/2021 (build 20210306):
      • Blocker UI improved: performance at startup, statistics display (with sortable columns), DNS stream
      • Preinstalled apps management (uninstall / reinstall) menu added (Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Preinstalled apps)
      • Latest lineageOS sources synced
      • Default apps updated
    • 22/01/2021 (build 20210121):
      • LineageOS sources synced (AOD and glove mode now available)
      • Prebuilt apps updated
      • Activated Camera APIv2 in Snap
      • Added AudioFX
      • Added fast charge disabler
      • Disabled broken widevine DRM L1, now fallback to L3
      • Force auto-update of apps in FDroid to keep in sync with iodé apps. It can be disabled.
    • 25/12/2020 (build 20201224): first publicly available build for Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

Downloads : add-ons
    • phonesky-magisk.zip : Magisk module for NanoDroid patched Play Store, for those who really need to get access to their paid apps that don't work with microG. This module can be generally be deactivated when you have installed and ran once the paid apps.
      NB : you may have to wait a couple of hours after activating the module for being able to install paid apps.
    how do i decrypt this?
    To avoid forced encryption on first boot and make it optional to enable from device settings with official lineage or roms based on the official trees like this. You should use vendor_overlay for a modified fstab, or modify your stock vendor fstab.
    Here is the commit if the rom author would like to include it. (at the very least should warn users of data loss that they will be force encrypted.) https://github.com/synt4x93/android...mmit/67db1379fc6850228310525ffb1f4ec8df95f26e

If any users want to do this without recompiling, just put the modified fstab from that commit in /system/product/vendor_overlay/29/etc/fstab.samsungexynos9810 and set the usual permissions and format /data again.

How do you decrypt what ?
    I assume he is talking about decrypting /data in recovery and is unable to do so because of forced encryption.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone